Samuel Adams Porch Rocker | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

3.3

Reviews: 239 | Ratings: 1,568
3.11/5  rDev -5.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle notched off at Oct 2013. Sampled on June 9, 2013.

It looks pretty good and within the style with a pale yellow color and a long-lasting foamy white head. Busy carbonation. The way it looked was my favorite characteristic.

Because the aroma was just way too fruity for my tastes even for a fruit/vegetable beer. I like it to be more subtle not explosive with citrus, lemon, and orange like this one was. I barely found any malts on the nose.

The body was typical for the style falling into the light range.

The taste was a lot like drinking recently squeezed lemon juice mashed in with pale malts and barley. I guess that's the way it was supposed to taste considering the style. This will find a definite audience because it would be refreshing on a hot and humid day. Maybe if I try it again in mid-July when it's 90 degrees I might appreciate it better.

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tannish yellow and clear. One finger head died pretty quick and left a white sheen and not much lacing.

Smells pretty good, very lemony with a note of ginger, much like a glass of fresh lemonade.

The flavor is quite shandy-like, and somewhat lemonade like too. It's sweet with a lot of up-front lemons, and enough of a malt base to know that it's beer. I can't detect any real bitterness to speak of.

Body is quite light, refreshing, and easy to drink. Carbonation is medium and about right for this beer, and leaves a lightly soda-like lemony tingle on your tongue..

Overall it's tasty but isn't fantastic. A nice light addition to the summer 12 pack tho, I'll certainly enjoy the other bottle as well as this one.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

12 ounce bottle, 2013 vintage. Poured into SA perfect pint.

Appearance was nothing outstanding, pretty much average golden color, finger or two of foamy head that dissipated quick to a thin ring, minimal lacing if any.

Aroma was sweetness and lemons. Thought that was pretty good - nice, fresh-squeezed lemon aroma that I do enjoy during the summer months. Mingled in is some breadiness in the background. Very appealing, fresh aroma.

The taste was less impressive. Hit of sweetness and a substantial kick of lemon that reminded me of sweet lemon candy. The actual beer is the minor player here - very subdued except for the sweetness. Really have to search for the malt which is there, but pretty much the supporting actor. Fairly tart for being lemon "flavored", and no bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel - here we start to have problems. The flavor lingers and just won't quit. Eventually felt this turned to an artificial lemon candy type of flavor, bordering on fake lemon pie filling. Carbonation was just about right - lively enough, but the end result was refreshing for a bit then sort of coating and cloying.

Overall, middle of the road - not a total wash out, but no blazing success for a style I actually enjoy. The lemon is very pleasant at first but wears out its welcome with the aftertaste. Maybe needs to be dialed back just a touch on the flavor addition or spend a few more days in the fridge.

Love me some porch rocker reminds of a shandy. I picked some up at shoprite wines & spirits in little falls for 9.99 a six pack. I also realized you can get locally delivered from there website at shopritewine.com. They have so many craft beers over 400 you guys should check it out.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adam's Porch Rocker in their summer variety pack for $13.29 at Meijers. It's a really warm night in Mid Michigan and i'm in the mood for something refreshing, I hope this fits the bill, so lets see how it goes. Notched best by September. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty simple and typical for most Samuel Adams beers, it looks ok. It poured a slightly hazy yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left no lacing behind. This was a pretty average looking beer, it didn't look bad, but the head and lacing were pretty weak.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of lemons that have a nice natural aroma to it along with a little lemonade like aroma when combined with the sweetness. Up next I get some malts that impart a grain and pretty bread like aroma with a slight bit of yeast in the background. The aroma is nice, it's pretty shandy like and the lemon has a natural aroma, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that was a little too much and was followed by a good amount of lemons that have a nice natural taste to them, but when combined with the sweetness it's tastes like a very sweet lemonade. Up next comes some light malts flavors with some grainy and bready malts coming through with just a slight bit of yeast in the background. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a lighter amount of medium tartness with a grainy and lemonade like aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting beer, the lemon aspect was nice, but there' too much sweetness with it that made for a heavy lemonade like flavor.

M- Smooth, clean, slightly crisp, refreshing, a little sticky, on the medium side of being light bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, I could go without the stickiness.

Overall I thought this was a pretty mediocre beer and an average example of the style, this beer was going in the right direction till i got to the sweetness, if that was toned down some I think this beer would be on par with most Shandys. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and refreshing, but the flavors couldn't hold my attention, I could probably drink a few of these on a warm summer day, but the flavors don't really keep me coming back for more. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, it really needs to be toned down in this beer. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own, I would rather have Summer Shandy since it isn't so sweet, I would recommend this to shandy lover who don't mind some sweetness with a shandy. All in all i wasn't that into this beer, there was just to much sweetness for me and it ended up being too overpowering and it made this beer drink much more like a lemonade than an actual beer. I appreciate the attempt but it just didn't come together as well as it could have, better luck next time Samuel Adams.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.25 A: Clear dark yellow color. Two fingers of frothy white head. Retention isn't great, but a short ring of lacing is left.

3.25 S: Smells like ginger ale with lemon in it. This seems like something Budweiser would make. It doesn't smell bad (just like Bud Light Lime), but it also doesn't smell like beer (just like Bud Light Lime).

3.0 T: Again, this is ginger ale with lemon. Not bad, but not beer.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation with a pleasant spritziness to it.

3.0 D: This is an alcoholic soft drink. That said, it isn't really a beer, so I didn't know how to rate it.

2.79/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Part of another Sam Adams marketing gimmick. 12 pack shared 6 ways.

The beer is orange with a small off white head. The aroma brings wheat, fruity sugars, grain, lemons. The flavor brings lemon candies, fruity pebbles cereal. Really sweet with artificial fruit flavoring. Like a wine cooler. Not my thing.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Got the summer variety pack, figure I'd try this one since it's a limited release. Served in a chalice.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a short, white, fizzy head that retains for a few minutes before dissipating to a thing white ring with small amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, grapes, lemon, reminds me of champagne a little.

T: Fairly sweet, crisp lemon flavor, wheat, grains, grapes, lemon, zesty, though one little catch is the ricola-lemon herb type after taste at the finish, making it a bit weird.

M: Medium bodied, with medium carbonation, bit on the sweet side with a cough drop after taste.

O: All in all, this was alright, tasted good at first but afterwards the ricola feel kicked in and my feelings were mixed. I'd say its worth a try, not horrible and I could defiantly drink more, I'd save for when I have a cold, lol. .

2.04/5  rDev -38.2%

I've fallen out of love with most Sam Adams beers over the last couple years and this may be the final straw. I really can only tolerate the true original Boston Lager.

The Porch Rocker is sickeningly sweet, akin to Country Time powder being poured into a light kolsch. Artificial tasting and cloying.

Some shandies come off quite good when mixed into a weiz beer, and this one has a nice color and decent smell up front. But the taste falls far below the bar and a big disappointment.

Avoid

3.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Got this yesterday on a whim. Honestly I was a little leary of getting it, because the idea of lemonade and beer mixed just didn't quite appeal to me. I'll say though that I was pleasantly surprised.

Poured into a pilsner glass. Pale honey yellow color with a half inch head. Fair retention and little lacing.

Smelled like sugar and lemons with a little malty beer scent in the back. Think lemon squares with a beer poured on top.

Taste was better than I expected. Very refreshing. The lemonade isn't overpowering, balancing nicely with the lager.

Mouthfeel was balanced, not so thin that you can't tell you're drinking beer, but not so full to feel like "liquid bread".

Overall this is a good brew, appropriate for a hot summer day while you do some yard work.

3.24/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains citrus, light malts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong lemony citrus sweetness up front. Then some breadiness comes in from a very thin malt character. The hops presence is very mild but there’s enough of it to provide some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily since it’s so light, not filling at all, very mild kick, decent representation of style, it’s a decent beer considering what it’s intended to be, but there are other lawnmower beers I would pick first.

3.07/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a nice summer beer. Its appearance is very nice, like any medium toned or summer beer with a white head of no real distinction. Of course, you don't drink the looks.
The taste and smell is distinctly lemonade, which is predictable since they add it into the beer. Not a shandy by two whoops and a whirl, which works to its credit. This is as advertised - refreshing. I can easily imagine it as more so on a hot summer day.
If you are not a fan of fruit beer, this won't change you. It's too much lemon to be on the hefewiezen level of citrus or even pale or india pales. More even than a s beer with a lemon wedge. Still, as I mentioned, the lemon is not as in your face as a shandy. If you have a friend who likes those hard cider things and hard lemonade, this may bridge the gap towards beer for them.
Drink beer, be happy!
Cheers!

3.53/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked a single bottle of this up in Totowa recently, not even realizing that this was a Fruit/Vegetable beer. While this was a bit heavier than a Summer Shandy, the feel of lemon was strong here with the tartness being scaled back a bit though. It wasn't a bad beer so much as it didn't seem that much different than a Helles Lager, but the added citrus didn't make this much "brighter" at all.

The pour was the best aspect to this beer, as the frothy head, golden hue, and soda-like carbonation all around the edge of my pint glass combined for a pleasing look. The aroma was that of a lemon/lime soda and so was the taste, with some sugar thrown in and just the lightest of malt too. The carbonation was present from start to finish and this had a bit of grain in the midst of the wet citrus and lemon zest as well. Not much to the aftertaste except for a syrupy mouthfeel that lingered for a bit but none of the fruit flavors lasted as long as I had hoped.

Summer beers? Look no further. I didn't even feel the alcohol in this and I could have downed a bunch in a sitting had I had that many around. Maybe some wheat would have livened this up a bit but for now, this is worth a go once just to see what else is possible in the vast array of Sam Adams products currently on the shelf. Not likely to disappoint as long as your expectations aren't terribly high.

3.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Much better the 2nd time around. First time I tried this beer, I was not a fan. A friend left a few in my fridge over the weekend, so I thought I'd give it another shot. Much better this time.

A - Pretty average. Dark yellow, good amount of carbonation. Almost no head.

S - A typical SA smell, to a lesser extent. Hops, and some lemon. Really not much else.

T - Given the situation, good. When I was sipping this beer for the first time, I wasn't a fan. But in the situation of my 2nd sampling (being very thirsty on a hot day), the beer tasted pretty good. It's still a bit too "light" for me, but the taste isn't bad. Wheat very prevelant, with just a tad of hops. The lemonade mixture is decent. Not overpoweringly sweet, nor does it totally take away the taste of the beer.

F - On a hot day when you're thirsty, it's solid. Light, crisp, refreshing, light on the stomach.

O - Really depends on the situation. This will never be a beer I'll sip when I'm in the mood for quality, strong tasting brew. But on a hot day, or any other time your thirst calls for a beer refreshment, I can see myself going for one of these. I guess to summerize, this beer is good for what it is.

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a nearly clear deap straw into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Shows a touch of haze and offers a thin white cap which shows brief retention. Light carbonation emanates from the bottom of the pour.

Strong lemon aroma through and through. Light malt character and mild hop character through some foam with a more simple lemon oil/pledge after the beer settles. Flavor is decent and not quite overwhelming in the lemon department though it is certainly well represented and more notable on the finish. Decent body for a style within a stlye, easy drinking and perhaps even robust for a Lemon Shandy given the ABV. Overall a bit sweet to have a few of and might actually do well over ice. Would prefer a more robust carbonation otherwise. Cheers..

3.49/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lots of sugar and lemon in the nose.
Less sugar in the taste but some lemon in there.
Very similar to summer shandy and I could see myself slamming a sizer of this in the heat of summer.
The taste dies off real quickly, no real after taste.
It should be good for summer.

3.57/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - This offering is golden in color with straw highlights. I got about an inch of white head the settles to a thin layer on top.

S - I get some overtly sweet lemon meringue and what smells like wheat, even though not is present.

T - The taste is sweet, reminds me of a lemon dum dum pop. It really tastes as advertised, lemon soda and helles beer.

M - Moderate with biting carbonation.

O - I thought this would be refreshing after mowing the lawn. It is decent. It is not hitting the spot as I'd hoped it would.

3.39/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Bright golden color, clear. Tons of fine bubbles rising up. Thick frothy head.

Aroma:
Fruity, lemony, pale malts.

Taste:
Lemonade through out the taste, a little tart and sour. I taste some pale malts, cracker, grainy. Bitterness is mild. Finish is crisp, a little dry. Body is light-medium, crisp, semi-dry, refreshing.

Overall:
It's above average beer.

4.04/5  rDev +22.4%

I purchased this during a recent visit to Al's of Hampden in Enola and if you have not been, I highly encourage you to pay a visit.

From the bottle: "By mixing beer & tart sparkling lemonade, German cyclists (called Radlers) helped inspire a crisp, refreshing drink perfect for long, hot days. With that inspiration, we developed our own lemon blend for a fresh squeezed lemon taste & combined it with a golden Helles lager creating a sweet, tangy & thoroughly refreshing brew. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

My pour created several fingers of french vanilla-colored head, but its inherent fizziness led to relatively low retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity, like liquid sunshine in the glass. Nose was very lemony and it brought a slight pucker to my mouth in anticipation. The mouthfeel was light, not thin, but more towards unobtrusive and the taste was fully lemonade. Finish was semi-dry and completely refreshing. I know that SA is making the move to CANs and if they were to CAN this beer, it would be great at the beach.

2.98/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This taste like someone poured lemonade into a slightly above average helles. Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. The color is a bright gold that I'm not certain should exist from natural elements. The mouthfeel is mellow, as expected for they beer type, but doesn't add. It's a bit sweet and the fruit is a little overpowering for me I guess.

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle poured into a tumbler glass

A- bright clear gold with a slightly fizzy, slightly soapy white head.

S- some generic crackery malt and lemon zest.

T- Lemony tart up front, crackery malt hits a little to hard middle to end. No real complexity to speak of.

M- Heavier (medium) than I would like in a hot weather refreshment brew. Could use a bit more carbonation as well

O- Good, but slightly misses the mark of its intended purpose.

2.59/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle served in a Great Divide shaped pint
Best before October 2013

A - Clear pale golden color with a fizzy white head vanishes quickly.

S - Lemon lime soda, kiwi, lemon alka seltzer, honey, medicinal phenolics

T - Follows the nose, lemon/lime soda, artificial honey sweetness, odd floral noes, medicinal characters, herbal hops, lager yeast, chalky mineral notes. Tries to finish crisp but the malty sweetness dulls it out.

M - Low stingy carbonation, wet body with a semi effervescent finish.

Kinda reminds me of sprite without less carbonation. The odd sweetness dull out any attempt of a crisp feel. I wont be revisiting this.

3.38/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by Sept. notched on label. Part of summer seasonal variety pack.

Pours golden yellow with a thin head that lasts for some time before fading. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of lemonade with grain and crackers.

The taste is of lemon with nutty grain and dry bread. Slightly tart with sweetness that leads to a semi-dry finish.

Creamy and smooth. Could be crisper, but has a "refreshing" element to it.

It mentions a radler. I don't think it is, but it is a lemony lager. Not bad if you want a basic beer with lemon flavor.

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

Sam Adams summer mix pack. Twelve ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours brilliant gold with fast fuzzy bubbles. Swirls out to just liquid. See through. Helles nose, some citrus notes. Crisp lemon tart taste that fades into a chalky lager. Really smooth. Half lemonade half beer all the way. But real good. Refreshing summer beer.

3.06/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date, but the notch on the label says best by August 2013. A radler inspired type beer from Samuel Adams, one I hadn't heard of until this year. My first beer out of the Samuel Adams summer sampler, and I'm looking forward to it.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a clear sparkling lager gold color, with a faint hint of lemony murk to it, and streams of bubbles rushing to the top. Finger of foamy bone white head dies out quick. Very thin, tiny amount of webbed lacing.

S - Smell is of dusty malt, some genuine lemon juice, and some notes of a floral presence.

T - Some sweet tart lemon presence, but not very much. After the lemon washes away, all we get hit with some generic malt and corn adjunct tasting lager. Aftertaste tastes to me like peaches or apricots. Crisp and light bodied, just not enough tart lemon to satisfy me, especially after my encounter with Stiegl Radler Grapefruit, which was a far more genuine radler than this beer.

M - Feel is crisp, tart, and goes down clean.

Overall, an inoffensive summer sipper with a low 4.50% abv, I could definitely toss a couple of these back. Not a complex beer by any means, nor does it bring anything really new to the table, but it is decent enough for what it is.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker ---3.5/5

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)