Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker
3.3/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

2.8/5  rDev -15.2%

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.59/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Straw colored with just the slightest hint of orange. Perfectly clear. Head is initially moderately thick and made of huge bubbles. There are also many bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass. The head quickly fades to just a wisp in the center of the surface. Very little lacing. The appearance is more soda-like than beer-like, except for the color.

S - Aroma is full of lemon-tinged sweetness, like a Sprite or 7-Up. No malt or hops. There is a faint earthy, herbal note that could be some spices.

T - I find nothing beer-like in the flavors. The tastes follow the nose, giving the impression of a very light, inoffensive beer that has been watered down with lemon soda. Nothing off or bad, it's just that there's almost nothing beer-like either.

M - Light body. Crisp, sharp carbonation. No alcohol presence. Very low hops bitterness. Slightly cloying sweetness in finish.

O - Now that I read the bottle label (after starting the review), I see that this beer perfectly matches its description. It is a light beer that has been lightened even more with some lemon soda or at least lemon flavors and water. Why? I don't know and I won't be looking for this one again. If I want a shandy, I'll mix my own and at least not have to pay full premium beer prices for something that was conveniently watered down before I bought it! This is a mega-brewer tactic that is not worthy of Sam Adams.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.9/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a nice lid of foam that leaves some streakage

Smell: Grainy and sulfuric with lemon tones

Taste: Grainy, up front, with a sugary lemon flavor developing, in the middle; a bit grassy, after the swallow, but the sweetness lingers and builds

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: I haven't had many radlers and perhaps I was spoiled by the SIxpoint Rad I had a few weeks ago, but I really didn't like this due to the sugary sweetness; I find it amusing looking through the reviews that some said it leaned toward having too much beer in the mix and others said there was too much lemonade; personally, I would side with those that said there was too much beer but whatever was blended really throws it off for me

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.3 out of 5 with 1,611 ratings