Samuel Adams White Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Witbier

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

Added by kbub6f on 01-30-2003

Ratings: 1,515 |  Reviews: 966
2.2/5  rDev -37%

I'm usually impressed by Samuel Adams, but I have to admit that with one sip I was a little disappointed with this beer, kind of like this website. Poured a honey Chimay glassful (couldn't bring myself to use a gay Yank glass.) It had very little head or lacing as I drank it. I enjoyed the slightly sweet lemony smell, but the taste was very bland--like a slightly mutated lager. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability was average.

2.2/5  rDev -37%

2.22/5  rDev -36.4%

A-cloudy gold, nice white head

S-fairly gross smelling, like a very tangy orange with wheat

T-orange and wheat upfront that quickly fades in to a tanginess. Sam Adams, you did something wrong. blue moon is way better than this

M-overly carbonated with a dry finish

D-about as close to a drain pour as possible, i just did not get along with this beer. Sam Adams, thank you for changing the spring seasonal to the noble pils, you still should've left this out of the winter package and never made this again.

2.23/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured into my Hop Devil pint glass.

A-Straw yellow with a thin, fizzy white head. Leaves vertical streaks of soapy lacing.

S-Wheat, orange peels, coriander. Pretty standard.

T/M-Hmm. Is this supposed to be a witbier? Did someone put the wrong label on the bottle? Because if someone served me this in a blind taste test I would've sworn it was a pale ale. While the nose suggests wheat is a major component, the dominant flavor is pale malts. I get very no orange peel and almost no coriander. Just a malt profile not unlike soggy Special K. Bleh. Light bodied with low carbonation (again, not appropriate for a style that usually has bright, prickly carbonation).

D-A waste of time, calories, and money, considering it is such a poor representation of the style. Even outside of the classification this is a poor beer, and the worst of the winter box.

2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

A: Yeast specks detract from the experience.

S: Touch of mint, flowery

T: A lot going on here--very difficult to discern the constituent parts. It bites hard at first but you get used to it. Overall, this beer tries too hard to be good at many things and fails at all.

M: Medium--thicker than I expected

D: Um, no.

2.28/5  rDev -34.7%

Pale, hazy, thin white head that dissapears quickly, sliding lacing with no stability. I thought for the style this followed was just slightly below average.

substantial wheat earthiness. Muskiness is almost farmhouse like and feels and tastes out of place. A bit on the watery side in the middle that allowed a bitter/sour washing. Cleans up at the end.

Mash comes through fairly raw. Not for me gang.

2.28/5  rDev -34.7%

A cloudy lemon colored body with a small white head. Not really any retention or lacing.

Smells a lot like bannana.

This stuff tastes like bannana yogurt. there is a touch of wheat, a touch of coriander and then a ton of bannana. It's out of balance; it doesn't even taste like a wit to me.

Pretty light bodied, medium carbonation.

I don't really like this one, so drinkability takes a hit. I would much rather grab a Hoegaarden.

2.29/5  rDev -34.4%

I have to say, I think the taps I had my White Ale poured from must not have been cleaned very well...or the keg had skunked! This was the most painful tasting beer I have stumbled across in quite a while, and considering Sam Adam's has always been my fallback brew, I found it really disturbing. It poured well, and the head and lace were all really nice looking, but there was an awful 'subtaste' and horribly bitter aftertaste. Had it been a craft-brewed IPA or somesuch thing, I might have been able to get past it, but this was at a bar that considers Blue Moon to be a non-domestic draft!!

Hopefully just a bad batch, considering everything I've read in the good reviews is what i tend to look for in a beer. Give me another, just not on tap at the local watering hole...

2.29/5  rDev -34.4%

I was excited to open the fridge and find a new Sam Adams, so I am far from going into this beer unbiased. Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I took my first sip and tasted this thin, somewhat funky beer.

I would best describe the flavor as a combination between ground pepper, celery, and citrus with a very thin and funky aftertaste.

This beer claims to be an unfiltered wheat beer but it tastes nothing like any other unfiltered wheat I've tried.

This would be an okay beer to choke down one of if you are into unique beers, but rarely have I found a beer that I disagreed with so much that I had regret opening it. I will never purchase this beer again.

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours out a deep, cloudy peach with a miniscule white head. Looks like mai tai with foam, actually. There's a wheat twang and spicy yeast in the nose, but those aromas are over-powered by spices and sugar. Tasting this beer, I experience those same flaws. This beer is just too damned sweet and spiced, with a heavy-handed flavor of apricot and peach. A good wit should allow the spices, yeast, and wheat play along well. Everything here is pummeled into the ground by sugar and spice. A slight twang in the finish tries to help beat the sweetness down, but it fails. The mouthfeel here is quite nice and fluffy form the wheat, but it needs more carbonation. I suppose this manages to do something slightly right. Really hard to finish, but it's managable.

Although it lacks much, what really would've made this slightly bearable is if it would've had that certain "brightness" I tend to associate with wits. It's like drinking a girly cocktail, so if that's your thing, then go balls to the wall with Sam Adams White Ale.

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

This white poured a milky orange yielding an unremarkable head and nose. Average orange aroma with minor spices and malt lingering. Mouthfeel was passive but flavorful, with a citrusy-tart finish. Unremakable, and not impressive. It seems to fall into the lower ranks as most other SA's brews do, with exception to some seasonal ales. I wished I had a better opinion of SA brews, but I just can't form one!

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

Not too bad for a wheat beer. First sip on a clean pallet was fantastic, followed by a linear flavor degredation until it became a average wheat beer. Wheat is tuff in my opinion. There all either amazing or just plain wheat beer.

I do not taste the exstravigant flavors that some reviewers aledge to.

2.31/5  rDev -33.8%

The neck label mentions an intricate blend of unusual spices. Hmmm....

a: This was a cloudy golden straw color and poured with a thick sticky head.

s: Weak. Faint, very vague spiciness and a hint of medicinal banana.

t: Weak again. Largely flavorless, I tasted a bland sort of peppery spice, mild artificially sweetened bananas, and a chalky finish.

m: Light and spritzy, as a wit should be.

d: I wanted to say bland and inoffensive, but I am kind of offended by how bland this is.

The final tally for the Sam Adams winter variety pack:

1 excellent (Holiday Porter)
1 very good (Old Fezziwig)
2 pretty good (Boston Lager, Winter Lager)
1 odd and disappointing (Chocolate Bock)
1 failure (White Ale)

2.43/5  rDev -30.4%

This beer poured a surprisingly dark orange amber that’s very foggy. The little film of a head is slightly off white. For a white ale, this beer's color isn’t very white.

Smells of limes, American cheese, oats and salty corn chips. If I were smelling nachos, I would be really happy. But alas, it’s a beer.

Tastes of a little orange citrus up front and then fades into a pale malt marshmallow and a dirty earthy yeast with a watery, slightly woody dry finish.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and sticky with a light carbonation. This is entirely too heavy and dense for my liking.

Alright. We have here a dark orange “white” beer that smells like corn chips and tastes like marshmallows and orange zest and is way to heavy. Sam, you missed the mark by a long shot.

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a cloudy pumpkin orange with a pillowy white head. Nice head retention, lots of vigorous beading, and very little laceing.

Smell: The aromas are slightly soured. Fruity(apricots?), light hop character and a desent malt bill.

Taste: The flavors consist of soured fruits. No hop profile, no alcohol is noticed and the malts just aren't doing it for me either. Thou, I am getting a vague wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light to medium amount of carbonation. Smooth finish, but leaves that sourness throughout my mouth.

Drinkability: I dont remember this beer tasting this bad. Perhaps I should review this again to give it another chance.

Cheers2beers

2.47/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass. I revisit Sam Adams via a mixed case. Six different brews, four are new to me including this one. I'll check back as for my sanity.

Pours a murky golden in color with a thin white head which settles to a cap in short order. This 'unfiltered wheat ale' looks pretty filtered to me. Unfiltered by Sam standards perhaps but not by mine.

A bit of wheat and banana on the nose. but not very volatile as for the esters. I assume the 'lack of filtration' filtered out most of the love here. Otherwise the nose is buried in sugar. Improves with a bit of warming and aggressive agitation. A good swirl actually throws some hops into the mix. Smells like a lager otherwise.

Taste is light and a bit sweet. Rather boring actually. Decent feel and drink per se. Touch of spice on the close. I guess I'd prefer this over Hoegaarden, not for any strengths, but for lack of weekness. Check that, I'll take a Hoegaarden; and I don't like Hoegaarden.

An interesting take on the style. Highly hopped(American) and low on the wheat as a percentage of the grain bill from what I can gather. The apple doesn't fall far.., overall too sweet in taste and too viscous for the style in the finish. Feeble. And I'm being nice.

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)