Samuel Adams White Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale
3.47/5
Okay
Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Witbier

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

Added by kbub6f on 01-30-2003

Ratings: 1,516 |  Reviews: 966
2.93/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a cloudy orange/golden yellow body with a decent white head.

Nose was a mix of wheat, yeast and strong fruity bubble gum type smell.

Medium bodied and a thick wheat beer taste. Loads of fresh summery citrus flavors. Orange juice, lemon, tangerines, peaches, bubble gum, banana. Loads of spices, sort of smells like my spice cabinets soon as you open the door. Old, dried, mixed bag of every spice out there. So although it has touches of cinnamon and coriander, it also tastes like someone tossed in oregano and dried basil.

It's an interesting Wit, a nice attempt, but it's very unfocused. The odd spice flavors once noticed become very distracting. Drinkable, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again.

3.35/5  rDev -3.5%

After waiting with my fingers crossed for another snow storm and good weather to continue drinking winter brews I've resigned myself to accepting that march has come to Colorado and spring (skiing) is not far behind. So here was a seasonal brew to console me about the end of winter and amp me up for spring.

The white ale is a beautiful golden and amber--much darker than many white ales--with a large white head. A handsome beer to be sure. the bouquet has sulfur overtones with a slight soapiness and apple sweetness: a nice mix of earthy and spicy.

On the palate, the spices are restrained: only a hint of coriander and little to no orange peel. There's a refreshing sweetness at the start that gives way to a medium-bodied mix of lemon and other mixed citrus
that slide across the back of the mouth. The overall mouthfeel is smooth and spritzy, appropriate for the style and it has a very clear quenching character to it.

Overall, I found this to be slightly underdone for the style, but it is highly refreshing and certainly worth a try--in other words, a passable but by no means exceptional wit.

4.16/5  rDev +19.9%

Served in a 22oz beer mug.

A- looks like a witbier cloudy with a big white head that disappates rather quickly.

S- not much nose from this tap but subtle hints of bread

T- another great tasting offering from the Boston Beer Co. nice balanced taste nothing overpowering clean and crisp. Hints of wheat. No aftertaste at all very clean finish.

M- a bit thinner than I expected, but far from watery

D- I had 16 oz of this beer and culd have had many more. The drinkability of this beer is as ussual where this SA beer shines. A smooth spring offering this is another triumph from SA.

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a hazey orange color with a decent head.

The aroma is full of spicy citrus smells such as lemon, orange, and lime with just a hint of corriander.

The taste is a little flatter than I would have expected. The citrus fruits from the aroma barely make an appearance. While this is not typical of a witbier it is still a very tastey brew.

This brew is while not typical of its' genre is still very good, and very thirst quenching. This would make a great summer brew.

3.46/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Looks like a witbier should. Pale golden color, very hazy and cloudy. Nose is spicy- citrusy and wheaty. Cloves, maybe coriander. Taste is a mishmash of things... lots of wheatyness, lots of spices, lots of earthyness. Interesting- not offensive- but not really lovely either. Overwhelming bready. Mouthfeel is alright- on the watery side, but otherwise okay. Fairly drinkable- but not my favorite Sam Adams.

3.72/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz single, taken from the fridge of another

appearance: pours a cloudy apricot colour, thin bubbly white head, little in the way of foamy lacing

smell: grapefruit, tropical fruit, peach citrus...obviously very fruity, corriander , slight yeast, grassy, slightly peppery

taste: yeasty, sweet peach juice, grapefruit, tropical fruits...interesting witbier interpretation. I must admit i was a little confused by this thing though it was certainly easy enough to drink

mouthfeel: medium-light body, sufficient carbonation

drinkability: very

3.22/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance is a hazy orange, with a light white inch head. Slight lacing on the pint glass. Smell is citrusy--orange and faint traces of pineapple. The taste also continues the orange trend, with even traces of apple and apricot (?). Mouthfeel is slightly heavy, but not overbearingly so. Drinkability is good as this is a very tasty beer and would be a good 'go-to' beer if you're feeling like something with a 'fruity' flavor that's not a fruit/vegetable style beer.

4.56/5  rDev +31.4%

I love this beer, I do like white ales as a wholebut this is one of my favorites over all. This ale pours a yellowish brown, thick you can not see through this beer always a good sign. The head is thick white and foamy. The taste is polite and clean has what they refer to as mouthfeel, this beer will not over power foods that are by most lagers or darker ales. over all Great unfiltered Belgian white ale.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty much what I expect from Sam Adams: Clean, well crafted, true to style, enjoyable beers. Though the aren't pushing too many boundaries, they know what they are doing. Winter white is citrusy and silky smooth from sip to finish. Oranges, corriander, esters, and tropical fruits show boldly iin the nose and flavor. Very soft and velvety on the toung. Ligthly and softly spicy through to the finish. Very clean and refreshing even into the aftertaste.

2.28/5  rDev -34.3%

Pale, hazy, thin white head that dissapears quickly, sliding lacing with no stability. I thought for the style this followed was just slightly below average.

substantial wheat earthiness. Muskiness is almost farmhouse like and feels and tastes out of place. A bit on the watery side in the middle that allowed a bitter/sour washing. Cleans up at the end.

Mash comes through fairly raw. Not for me gang.

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%

Hazy light gold body with a very tall head with very good retention. Nice lacing too. Smells of corriander and citrus. Kind of heavy on the corriander, as is the taste, a spicey flavor dominated by the corriander but also has lemon and orange citrus. Very smooth mouthfeel, very drinkable. Not the best witbier, but great for the price compared to Allagash White or Ommegang Witte.

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

I have this great Pilsner-Urquell glass, not a favorite beer at all, but it's a great neutral glass for tasting/reviewing. I poured this newly-discovered Sam Adams White Ale into it and it settled into a rocky, long-lasting head and opaque, muddy honey-gold. So far so good.

Smell was powerful with mustard up front and citrus, wet hay and a vegetably earthiness coming up behind it.

The mustard flavor was thick and a bit dominant in the taste, but I also get white pepper, coriander and slight hints of orange peel. It's unique among witbiers, where many others lack a bit in ooomph and personality. Thumbs up.

Lays heavy and thick in the mouth. Its heavier and more unusual than most witbiers. One of the few witbiers I'd drink year-round. Like Vuuve, it's extra-ordinary in its style category.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Foamy inch-high, bright white head. Condensed and spotted lacing with pretty good strength. Two-toned in color: hazy, pale yellow and light camel.

Semi-sweet wheat and toasted oat aromas with a faint mustiness. Moderate peppery spice. A heavy dose of diacetyl in the nose.

Watery and gritty wheat and grain character; very musty. The sweetness in the aroma is absent in the taste, and replaced by a weak and bland toasted oat character. Mild pepper at mid-sip leaving a slightly bitter aftertaste. The diacetyl presence is too prevalent, throwing the flavors of this wit a bit askew.

Light bodied; a little thin on the palate even for a witbier.

A bland and very artificial tasting beer. Not a wit that I'll return to.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. A nice one finger head is formed on top of a cloudy, orange/melon colored beer. Nice lacing is left down the side of the glass as well.

Spicy aroma. Smells almost like a spicy italian sausage with some red sauce on top. Lemon and citrus as well. Pleasant aroma thats for sure. I really love the spiciness of the beer.

Taste is pleasantly citrusy and fruity. Lemon and lime, white bread, vanilla, corriander, bologna, orange peel. My list is different than the one of the bottle with the ingredients, but these are my taste buds and I will not compromise them for anyone!!!

Light mouthfeel. Great carbonation makes this light on the tongue.

I remember I bought a case of this in college about 8 years ago. I was like "No wonder this stuff isnt good. Its all cloudy and has dirt on the bottom. Is this like 10 years old or something?" Funny the things we remember. I hated it then but really enjoy this beer now. Thanks Sammy!

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

I remember the first time I tasted Sam Adams. It was 1989 I thought it was a crappy attempt at making a "traditional" beer. I avoided it for the next 16 years. Boy am I sorry for that.

I recently have returned to the fold of the BBC and have become a (pardon the pun) a huge advocate of Sam Adams.

So with no hesitation whatsoever I grabbed the 12 pack off the rack when I saw the White Ale. I was rewarded with a light, drinkable peppy Wheat Ale that I am ready to have more of.

there's another reviewer at beeradvocate.com named yesola who is a friend of mine who I convinced to try this even though he is no fan of wheat brews. I'm sure it will be an ale he will try again.

When first poured it has a thick head which dissapates quickly, the beer is very pale almost like an American commercial abomination, but the taste is grand. the mouthfeel is crisp and full. the beer has a slight bite, but no skunk. I find that I can drink more of these than is typical of Sam Adams (not because I don't enjoy them, but because they tend to 'stay' with you long after you're done drinking them)

Overall: I like this Ale with a snack or by itself and I can drink more than 2 at a sitting, bring it to your poker night.

2.79/5  rDev -19.6%

I poured this into a glass.

A- It looked great with a large head and a nice amber/gold color.
S- Maybe I had a skunked one, but the smell was very strong and unpleasant. I know this is a bad review because I can't describe the unpleasantness.
T- It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. It didn't taste seasonal at all, the label said spring spices but I couldn't taste any of that. All I tasted was wheat and bitterness.
M- As I previous said, it was quite bitter, but it was smooth going down. It didn't leave a big taste in my mouth at all.
D- I'd much rather have the Winter Lager. I won't get it again.

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a cloudy, vibrant, medium amber-orange with a small, slightly off-white, tight head with good retention. Attractive intricate lacing. The beer was served REALLY cold, but that didn’t mute the rather full nose too much. Huge wheat aromas, strawberry, cilantro, orange. The taste is big as well, with berry battling it out with cereal for top billing. Light sweetness fades into a citrus and herbal, lightly dry finish. It has a medium body, dry texture and soft carbonation. This is not an every-day, easy-drinking ale, but it’s wonderfully complex for the style. Good for the mood I was in at the time of tasting this beer, but possibly a bit too much if you are looking for a more traditional witbier.

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

This Sam just popped up at my local vendor so I ventured a quaff. Poured into a chalice it is a beautiful translucent honey yellow. The head is tan and strong with great lacing. The smell is tantalizing with the ibiscus being most prevalent. Many other fruit flavors are present. The taste is the most "sparkly" belgian I have ever imbibed to date. Mouthfeel is a cornucopia of flavors with a carbonation that delivers like Fedex. Great recipe. Anything with Sam's name on it delivers. I am enjoying this brew immensely, it's a sessioner. No doubt.

2.66/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours orange with a fluffy white head.

Spicy nose with a strong yeast background, key lime, coriander, orange peel.

Wow! Incredibly boring flavor not at all reminiscent of a witbier. Basicallly a spiced american hefe. Uninspiring yeast flavors with some ending coriander notes. Not bad for an American wheat, but pretty poor for a witbier. No crazy banana clove esters, obviously not fermented with a Belgian strain.

Medium bodied and nicely carbonated, a very drinkable beer, but not a witbier as far as I'm concerned.

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

At a local Friday's very glad when the served it without the ctrus wedge you get with some whites and hefe's. Very cloudy muddy brown water with a delicate white hat the laces the whole 22 oz glass. Smell is of wheat and hints of sulfur and bigger notes of citrus. Jim and Co. did this one right in the taste, not to sulfury form the yeast and nice well blended taste of white and subte citrus tones and a spice from a low dose of hops. Great mouthfeel and very drinkable, in fact I am going back tonight for more.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

Into a weiss glass with this one... drink by June '06.
Looks like a witbier should. Very hazy with a fluffy white head. Has the color of apple cider.
Odor is spicy; corriander is prominent. Has some mild citrus notes. Sweet and a bit striking.
The flavor is subtle and mild... almost too subtle and mild. The flavor that's there is pretty good and well balanced, but compared to others of the style I've had this one is anemic. Hints of ryebread
Mouthfeel is pretty pleasant. Has a nice, smooth finish that lingers; reminds me of just having eaten a good, not too sweet pastry.
A bit weak for the style but this is all around a pretty well crafted brew. This could definately be an eye opener for some.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

Ok first of all the first thing that comes to my mind when I drink this beer is liquid bread. The smell and the taste is just yeast and wheat. Ok so when this beer is poured, the color is hazy slightly burnt orange. There is a sizeable foamy head that dissapates quickly but leaves a ring of foam residue around the rim of the beer. The smell is primarily yeast and wheat as said before. The taste is the same along with some bitter orange peels and maybe a few other spices that I cannot distinguish. As compared to their hefeweizen, this certainly displays a more spicy characteristic than a citrusy fruity one. The mouthfeel is a good thickness and carbonation. Overall I find this to be a pretty drinkable beer and one that I could enjoy each spring.

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

This pours a cloudy orange with a large head that disappears quickly. The smell is very peppery with alot of wheat and lemon. The taste is crisp and refreshing with alot of carbonation. The flavors are dominated by the wheat,lemon,and coriander,pepper. The m/f is light and well balanced which makes this a very drinkable beer that I will look forward to each spring.

3.56/5  rDev +2.6%

pours straw coloredw ith a big puffy head that fell into a nice blanket that sustained the duration of consumption.
the aroma is citrus, i think i pick up the grains of paradise, it is very herbal.
the flavor has a spicy, herbal, wheatie, citrus, minerially. there is a spicy tingling on my tounge.
the mouthfeel is watery, little creamy.
pretty good and drinkable, best is warm weather.

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance- Abundant, moderately thick head. Good retention; the head slowly recedes, eventually leaving a frothy pile of foam on the surface of the beer. Opaque, amber-orange color.

Smell- Malt and spices on first sniff; agitation brings out a strong orange peel aroma. Some herbal hop scents gently pop up, but they mostly blend into the background.

Taste & Mouthfeel- Soft, but lively mouthfeel. Thin-to-medium bodied, with moderate levels of carbonation. Dry, twangy wheat flavor up front. The finish is earthy and complex; hop flavors are detectable, and the spices kick in once the beer hits the back of the tongue. The spice tastes like equal parts orange peel and cinnamon.

Verdict- It's my first witbier, and I like it. It's light enough to be a refreshing hot day beer, but it's also reasonably complex.

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.47 out of 5 with 1,516 ratings