Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Samuel Adams White Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

Added by kbub6f on 01-30-2003

firstprev| 901-925 | 926-950 | 951-975  | next → last
Reviews: 967 | Ratings: 1,510
3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Has a dark gold color when poured. Has a fairly long lasting head, had some lacing, but not a ton. Has a citrus taste and smell, lemon stands out the most as well as some spices. It's light and smooth with a medium amount of carbonation, may taste even better as it gets warmer out.

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

I had this on-tap in a pint-mug at a local bar. The color was a pale orange with an unfiltered murkiness. The smell wasn't too prominent, but had some hints of spices with a little bit of a "wheaty" smell.

The taste was rather mild as well. Some nice spices in the backround, with a crisp carbonated mouthfeel.

Overall this was a good take on a Witbier, but nothig too impressive. The smell and taste could have been more prominent. I enjoyed the pint, but didn't come back for another.

2.1/5  rDev -39.8%

A: pours a nice hazy browish golden color with white head and slight to moderate lacing
S: yeasty smell
T: im overwhelmed with the carbonation and am left with little taste in my mouth
M: too much carbonation leaves you with a dry feeling mouth
D: Its an ok beer nothing special and would drink it again if offered but i dont think i would buy it.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured into a pint glass from the bottle it has a deep hazy yellow appearance. Pours with a nice head that fades slowly. Leaves lacing down the side of the glass.

S- At first I don't really notice too much when smelling it but taking a deep breath through the nose and you get a light citrus smell that is pleasant. As the beer gets warmer more notes appear.

T- First taste was not what I expected, the taste is mild and would be better off had with a lighter tasting plate of food. As it is consumed the citrus flavors in the beer become noticed as do some of the other spices in the beer. A nice combination that leaves a pleasant aftertaste. A slight presence of hops (although perfect amount for this beer) become noticed as the beer warms up. Virtually undetectable when the beer is very cold.

This beer is definitely better served cool and not cold as the flavors become much more pronounced. Take it out of the fridge and let it sit for a few minutes before drinking. The flavors become more pronounced. Its worth the wait.

M- Nicely carbonated with a refreshing feel.

D- Very drinkable, refreshing, and not very heavy.

4.48/5  rDev +28.4%

Appearance- A cloudy beer because it is unfiltered, with a good head, about a half inch. Left some on the sides.

Smell- A little bit of citrus also a hint of vanilla.

taste- I really enjoyed this beer. I am a fan of all of Sam Adams seasonal beers, this is right up there with the Winter Lager.

All and all a good beer. I have had it on tap and in bottle and both of them are fantastic. Will buy again.

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Swirled standard brown bottle to infuse yeast sediment and spices. Firm pour into pint glass. Nice color, orange tinted straw with beautiful "haze" apparent. Slightly tannish head dissipated fairly quickly but left a nice skim coat hugging the sides all the way down.

S: Some of that standard wheatish whaff, yeasty, banana, quickly followed by citrus and a slight tinge of spices.... Nice.

T: Defiantly get the orange, mild wheat and then the spice. Not the most complex wit I've had but pretty much right on the standard wit flavor profile. This aint no Hoegarden but not bad for a macro produced ale. Respectable.

F: Actually this is what I like most about this beer, thinish but solid. A great wheat feel, backed up with a creamy finish and yeast support. I find myself craving this type of feel in a beer.

D: Very quaffable, great product, not a notable wit by any means, but at least a quality product available nationwide. I find that when I'm in a foreign market and its spring time, I'll "fall back" to SA White when ordering at the bar.

3.42/5  rDev -2%

A- A cloudy golden appearance. 1/8" inch head from bottle pour that dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S- A wheat smell with a hint of citrus. Coriander scent is present, but don't pick up much lemon.

T- Taste a sweetness in the malt with strong coriander and orange peel characteristics. Aftertaste provides more flavor then initial taste. I have tasted beers with better use of coriander spice, but does work with with the hop arrangement.

M- Smooth and drinkable. Slightly tart relative to other wit beers but still very drinkable.

D- I could have another one of the these beers. Overall, not a huge fan of Sam Adam's beers, but I do enjoy there seasonal line.

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Nice golden haze body with a peppery citrus aroma. A lot of flavor going on with a spicy aftertaste. You can add an orange slice to kick up the flavor - but if you have strong taste buds you can already taste the orange peel that was added during the brewing process. Stacks up well verse the competition that is currently out available on draft in many establishments. Try it verse Hoegaarden - the Caddilac or Witbiers.

3.39/5  rDev -2.9%

I'm not sure if it was the place I had it, or the beer itslef but this one was extremely metallic to smell and taste

It pours a very cloudy honey-golden yellow with GORGEOUS lacing once the adequate head dissipates.

Smell, as stated, is extremely mettalic, and that's it.

Taste is better with some lemon hints and malty finish. The first few drinks were almost nutty in flavor. Hops are mild.

Mouthfeel is best part. Cool, not too much carbonation, very easy.

Drinkability is good, but would be excellent if this was not so mettalic, a good session beer perhaps.

3.66/5  rDev +4.9%

I go out in my town with my girlfriend and expect to drink garbage beer. Much to my enjoyment, at the local chain restaurant, they had just tapped a fresh keg of sam adams white ale. a great beer when expecting to have to setlle for a yuengling or a guiness.

2.74/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured into a pint glass. One finger of head that quickly disapated.

Appearance is moderately cloudy with a golden yellowish orange color. Carbonation is mild, rising from the bottom.

Smell is extremely faint, and therefore I only pick up a slight citrus aroma. As I drank it some wheat came through.

Taste is definitely on the bland side of the spectrum. Extremely diluted lemon peel flavor.

Mouthfeels is ok. Just kind of slides on down with nothing to brag about.

In terms of drinkability, there is absolutely no flavor to savor, so I wound up downing it like it like a college kid.

Samuel Adams White Ale thoroughly unimpressed me. Way to bland for my taste. Would not recommend or purchase again.

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

My wife bought this beer for me when looking for Ommegang Whitte.. she bought it by accident and i was out of a good beer to drink. I was plesantly surprised it was as good as it was. I would recomned this beer for a summer barbque or picnick with frineds..

3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

I was pretty excited when I saw this on tap the other night. I hadn't tried the white before, and generally Sam Adams does an ok job with their seasonals.

When it arrived at my table it looked like a nice white beer, slightly cloudy in color, bright white head that lasted for a bit. It smelled fruity and light, with a subtle spiciness. My disappontment came when I tasted it. I suppose for a mid-summer beer it might be refreshing, but it seemed almost flat, and i don't mean the carbonation. It felt and tasted almost watery. Witbiers should have a hint of substance in the mouth, but this just tasted blah. Perhaps it was the weather, and I would have been better off with something along the lines of a Bells on that cold evening, but it just seemed to be missing some kind of kick. I know that whites are supposed to be mild, but this one just tasted bland. Definitely my least favorite offering from Sam Adams. It wasn't awful, I just think you can get a better witbier for your money (especially since they'll charge you $6.00 for a pint of this in Center city Philly)

4.42/5  rDev +26.6%

This is a really enoyable beer. The winter was spent enjoying the dark and heavy beers/ stouts. I am not much for Pilsners or light body beers. This was a nice shift and enjoyable as well. The light buttery flavors gave it more of taste than most of the ales I am used to. i'd drink this through the day; with some reds in the mix just for fun.

2.84/5  rDev -18.6%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. I was very impressed with the head. It was over two fingers thick. At first the aroma did not come out but after drinking half the beer I was more able to detect a hint of spice that is common for this style. The color was a dark yellow but it was a lot clearer than I expected for an unfiltered beer. The carbonation was very good and it made an alley of bubbles down the center of my tongue. The mouth feel was light and watery. I will have to admit at first the flavor was weak but about half way through it started to become more robust. All in all I like that Samuel Adams is not afraid to try different seasonal styles but I don't like how they have sacrificed boldness to sell to the general public.

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Drinking this as i review it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. not much head to speak of, and what little head there was, dissapeared quickly. The nose very malty, with a hint of smoke in it. mouthfeel is very good, its very creamy. This beer is moderately bitter, but mainly sweet. The beer's appearance is very cloudy, and golden yellow. i'm tempted to call it a mix between amber and yellow. could be more carbonation. Overall, its an ok beer, not sam's best though

firstprev| 901-925 | 926-950 | 951-975  | next → last
Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)