Samuel Adams Pale Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Pale AleSamuel Adams Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

just strait avrage, strait down the middle, not good not bad, this was a tuch hopy and the malt was nice but with all the outher fine products that sam has this just gets lost in the shuffle. i would drink agan if it were their but wouldent seak this one out.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.99/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A - Beer is a medium golden color and crystal clear. Creamy, solid white head made of tiny bubbles; lots of lacing. Very attractive pale ale.

S - Interesting smell. I get some malt, but mostly a nutty, earthy smell that I believe is the hops. This is listed as a British style pale, so I was not expecting Northwest US hops aroma, but this is not like the British pale ale aromas I remember, either. I don't get any fruitiness or alcohol.

T - This has a round malt taste along with some of the earthy, savory taste of the hops. The bitterness is noticeable, but fairly low. No yeast notes or alcohol taste.

M - Medium body, little carbonation fizz. There is some mouthcoating in the end that gives an odd "dusty" sensation.

D - This is a fairly drinkable beer. It is very different from what I picture as a British pale ale, but still enjoyable. I would enjoy it more with some crisper hops and maybe some British yeast fruitiness.

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Picked this up as a single at my local store, I've never had this beer.
And by my initial first taste, I will probably never have it again. I wanted so much to like this beer, but it has such a watered down, adjunct flavor that it was impossible. Thin, very lightly hopped, almost no hops. Very BMC'ish in the flavor. Very tough to finish.

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

Apperance- Golden Yellow with a decent head and retention that dissapated to decent lacing.

Smell- A malty nose with subdued hops poking through.

Taste,Mouthfeel-Decently balanced pale ale, with a decent body and good carb.

Drinkability- A good sessionable pale ale

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A white head that dissipates quickly. The beer itself is a foggy yellow quite fizzy with bubbles. leaves a healthy dose of lacing on the glass.

Not much in the way of smell. Maybe I'm missing something but I smell very light hops and malts, very faint. Kind of shocked for Samuel Adams, usually they emphasize on smell; the way they design their glasses is for your nose to enter the glass as you taste the beer.

Some carbonation seems light and smooth. Leaves the mouth kind of dry.

It has that signature Samuel Adams taste. I don't know what it is, but I can always tell it's a Sam Adams. Its not bad. Light hop flavor and malty background. Slightly bitter.

Drink Ability: Its pretty light for not being a light beer. Doesn't seem heavy at all, which is always good. Would I want more than one? Maybe two, but they're so many other beers to try!

I did finally realize there was a pleasant odor halfway through, so it saves some points in the aroma department . It smelled more malty, to me, than hoppy. Overall, its good. If they had it on tap at a bar I'd have one.

2.97/5  rDev -14.7%

Crystal clear pale apricot colored with a sizzling and popping white head of foam that settles out quickly.

Aroma of bready malt and corn notes, faint floral hops. Flavors of corn and metallic notes, some faint toffee and biscuit. Mild bitterness, no hop flavors. Even mouthfeel, a bit slick, finishes tingly. Not much complexity or balance, not too drinkable.

2.97/5  rDev -14.7%

A - A darker golden color with a finger white head with good retention. A little bit of lacing here. Also, a decent amount of carbonation that fizzles up to the top.

S - Not too great here. I get dirt and almost a plastic smell. no floral hops like I was looking for. Not very appealing.

T - Up front, some very mild hops. This is followed by some citrus, most predominantly lemon, grass and maybe a hint of wheat and bread. I'd just like something to jump out at me a little more.

M - Nice mouth feel. Good amount of carbonation and a light mouth feel.

D - This isn't the best pale ale I've had but it's on the easier side to drink.

2.96/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Nice adequate head. Nice golden color. Smells of muted malts and a bit musty. Could have more to it as far as smell is concerned. The taste is pleasant but light hoppiness, not what I've come to expect from an American Pale Ale. Overall, decent, but Sam Adams has better brews than this one.

2.94/5  rDev -15.5%

Golden, with a slight blanket of head and a little lacing. Very pale head with very tight knit bubbles. Active carbination.

I was dissapointed in the nose of this one. Not much there, but definately not offinsive. Just plain.

Taste is also just above average. Again, not much character but not offinsive at all. I could drink a few of them if I had to, kind of boring, though.

Drinkability is, again, about average. There are difinately worse beers out there but there is also many better ones. Why waste the time.

Samuel Adams Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)