Samuel Adams Pale Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Pale AleSamuel Adams Pale Ale
3.47/5
Samuel Adams Pale AleSamuel Adams Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

2.43/5  rDev -30%

A- Crisp and golden, a slight orange hue, about 2 finers of white foam.

S- smells a bit yeasty, hints of a bittering hops

T- woo, not impressed almost nothing going on, get a hint hops, followed by a stale vegetable taste and a unpleasant grapefruit flavor.

M- meh good carbonation

D- did not enjoy this beer, I think sam adams could have spent a bit more time, or maybe I got a bad one. Either way, I'm hesitant to drink the rest.

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Pale copper very clear and transparent with a moderate white head that has long retention. Some lacing exists.

Very pale malts and floral hop aromatics. A hints of cereal grain but not much else. Definitely aroma hop driven.

Very light pale ale. Not what I look for in the style. Basically the same as the aroma, very pale bready malts with floral aromatic hops moderately bitter. Finish is short and to the point. Could have used more flovorful hop varieties.

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass.

A- It had an amber color, a bit darker than I was expecting but that's a step in the right direction. Nice and crisp looking anyway, with a big fluffy "mother-of-pearl" head. Good color for a pale.

S- Wow, this may have been one of the worst smelling beers I've ever had. It smelled really really strong and was very unpleasant. I'm sorry I can't describe this any more but all I can say is whew!

T- Strong wheat flavor and light hops flavor. Not as potent as I had expected but certainly not bad.

M- Tasted just fine in the mouth, went down smoothly but was a little bit thin, even for an APA.

D- I wouldn't drink it again, but I'm glad I tried it. Definitely not the best APA. If you can find it, go for the Berkshire APA or EPA.

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Lighter amber orange. Typical SA head with standard lace and carbonation. Average.

S: Big commercial APA smell. Mild at best with little hops note and malt as the primary scent.

M: Sour tang with watery wash, note of creaminess.

T: Malt and malt. That's all. A bit of bitter from the hops without any character. Even JW Dundees, my comparison for bigger brewers APAs, has more flavor.

D: Why buy this when there are so many others in the crowded APA field.

2.49/5  rDev -28.2%

appearance: pours a healthy golden yellow, moderately carbonated, with bubbly white foam with little lacing.

smell: subdued yet balanced scent of corn and light hops, comes off almost pilsner-like.

taste: begins clean and subdued, lacking any significant body, hops perk up the experience, but again tastes of corn are notable clashing with the hops, resulting in a oddly bitter finish.

drinkability: for a basic pale ale, very dissapointing, coming off as more a pilsner or light lager, with its hop characteristics clashing with the grain/corn body; drinkable, but lacking for the style.

2.5/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not great, quite thin in the end, and it had quite a funky sort of flavour, a bit oily aswell and a bit soggy tasting, not their best.

2.52/5  rDev -27.4%

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet.

asuper clear. 2 fingers of fluffy head completely disappeard within a minute. this is the color of apple juice

s understated to the nose, just a bit of a hoppy/ maly armoa

t: not too good. better than some but the least appelaing from SA that I've ever had.a bit tart and NOT in the right way

m: hard to keep the mouthfeel seperate from the taste, but good body here, pretty nice score here

d: does not quite make the grade. will be looking for OTHER brews...

2.53/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz. best this month so time to get with the drinkin'.

Pours with a head that fills the pint glass, leaves good lacing (looks like white flames) as it settles up top with a solid 1/8" covering, then dies. Nice dark gold body, fairly clear, moderate bubbling.

Mineral smell with starchy malts and assertive grassy hops.

First thing noticed in the taste is a mineral, adjunct-like note. The mild roasting of the malts is definitely perceptible. Some low alpha flavoring hops as well as a decent dose of bitterness, very grassy and vegetable-like. Dry.

Medium body and thick but tickly carbonation.

Grass and minerals... otherwise has aspects of a nice reserved English Pale Ale. Don't want more though.

2.58/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a highly carbonated, golden-amber topped with a three finger rocky off-white head, leaves thick webs of lace.
Perfumy, herbal aroma, caramel, and a lot of butterscotch.
Nutty, caramel, floral-perfume taste. I didn't like this at all before it went on hiatus, I decided to give it another try, but I still don't like it.
Medium bodied.

2.61/5  rDev -24.8%

A - A Golden brown color with yellow tint. More than average head with nice spider lacing down the glass.

S - Sweet caramel malts, some hops with a subtle alcohol finish. Lighter fruit also coming from the body.

T - Grains mostly finishes with hops but i would expect a little more. Roasted rye and barley almost too apparent. Alcohol as well.

M - Low carbonation with a smooth, flat finish.

D - Go get a good pale ale and don't worry about this one. The appearance was the most impressive thing about this brew. Maybe the hop crisis is taking a toll on this. I expected more from Sam Adams

2.61/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours yellow with a long-lasting soapy white head, light lacing.

S: Light smell of English ale hops and baked bread.

T: Bready sourdough form the backbone of this brew. Hops are light with a floral and grassy quality, astringent at times, light acidity, sweet aftertaste.

M: A bit too much acid at times in this one. Light mouthfeel and carbonation.

D: A beer I thought would be better than a lot of the made in England pale ales since it would be fresher, but all and all pretty pedestrian. Wouldn't have a problem drinking it again if I buy another summer mixpack, but wouldn't buy a sixer of it.

2.68/5  rDev -22.8%

pours a piss yellow/orange with a limited white head that leaves quickly. Nose is almost nonexistent, but there is some slight metallic maltiness. Taste follows with weak malts and extremely weak hop flavors. I understand they were going for an english style pale ale here, but my god the hops in this are pathetic. The Fuggles and EKGs are barely noticeable at all. I taste more hops in boston lager, by far. Mouthfeel is thin and slightly undercarbonated. Drinkability is very poundable. Overall this may be the weakest attempt at an english pale ale I have yet tried. It does however have its place in the summer pound it as fast as you can on a hot day mix pack that it came in.

2.68/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Pours a transparent yellow bordering on amber with about 1 finger of foamy, white head which dissipates quickly.

S: Toasted malts with some diluted hops floating in the background.

T: Malts hit upfront but are subdued in taste; hops try to crop up but don't quite make it. Somehow, everything about this brew seems like it was diluted from a stronger, better pale ale. There's an undesirable watery quality to it, and overall the flavor lacks focus. There's also a slightly metallic, medicinal quality to.

M: Somewhat watery, with medium carbonation.

D: This doesn't really hit the right notes for me. I would have preferred a stronger, hoppier pale ale.

2.7/5  rDev -22.2%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my bench mark for comparison to other Pale Ales. I bought this since I like pale ales. I must say that the first sip took me by surprise, and not in a good way. The aftertaste was a little off by my standards for a pale ale. The smell is ok and the mouthhfeel ok. In comparison to ther pales I've tried, this one will rank lower. However, it may suit someone else's taste. It really isn't a bad beer, just not for me. I like the more bitter after taste of SN, plus it is a bit spicier.

2.71/5  rDev -21.9%

A - Very light copper color... Very very slight carbonation, otherwise extremely still... Soft white head is minimal and quickly fades...

S - Light mild malt scent... Traces of toffee... Not much else...

T - Biscuit... Earthy... Extremely mild and plain... No complexity to be found...

M - Dry with tingly carbonation on the tongue...

D - If I didn't know any better I'd think that I was drinking a flat ginger ale... I hate to be rough, but this brew deserves it... On par with a BMC...

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours thick with a typical Samuel Adams head. Smell is very hoppy, with malt accents. The Taste is malty and sweet. I don't know if this is what a pale ale is supposed to taste like. Overall, a pretty decent beer. The problem I have with Samuel Adams is the the beers all taste pretty much the same. I drank this out of a sampler, and after a few they all tasted the same.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Samuel Adams Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)