Samuel Adams Scotch Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Scotch AleSamuel Adams Scotch Ale
3.74/5
Samuel Adams Scotch AleSamuel Adams Scotch Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by Todd on 05-19-2001

Ratings: 1,108 |  Reviews: 638

1.06/5  rDev -71.7%

this beer is horrible,it tasted more like beer mixed with whiskey. ive tried more bitter ales like arogant bastard, but this beer was

just awful sam's best beer is the oktoberfest one.

i dont recomend this, im sure a scottish person would be insulted by this horrible brew.

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

1.63/5  rDev -56.4%

When I first poured this ale, the color was a medium clear dark brown with a light tan foam. The smell of roasted malts was evident.

The taste on the other hand was terrible. One gulp and I spitted it out and dump the rest of the six pack down the drain. It tasted like, "liquid Vynal". The flavor was just like the way Vynal smells. Do they have Vynal tanks?

1.71/5  rDev -54.3%

1.86/5  rDev -50.3%

Sam Adams Scotch Ale....from the Brewmaster's Variety Pack

Appearance-pours a dark brown, decent head and good clarity, looks appetizing.

Smell-smoky, with a linger of chocolate and coffee malt, hops seem rather supressed.

Taste-Ugh, it's that simple. Whose idea was it to mix smoky whisky flavor with chocolate?!! Awful, hard to choke down, and I considered dumping it but I did manage to finish it.

Mouthfeel-Again awful, you want to get it down as fast as possible, the smoky chocolate flavors are unbearable.

Drinkability-I couldn't drink this, but if you can go for it, not that alcoholic so I will give it a 2.

Overall-While I suppose I can respect the labor of love that went into this brew and that I am a defender of Boston Beer this is one of the most disappointing beers I've had. The mix of flavors isn't sucessful and don't go together at all, chunky mouthfeel as well. I'm not a fan.

1.89/5  rDev -49.5%

A: Pours a dark mahoghany color with a small bubbly head. Light lacing.

S: Malty smell with a stale, grainy aroma.

T: An acrid bitterness with a taste of soggy newspaper. No sweetness at all.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes quite dry.

D: WAY off for the style. This could pass as drinkible, but I think I'd rather dump it.

2.06/5  rDev -44.9%

Pours a dark cola brown. Big bubbles. No real head ... just a sliver of bubbling.

Smells like acrid, chemical smoke mixed with a smidgen of booze and burnt ... chocolate? Malt? Caramel? Ugh.

Taste is pretty horrid. One of the worst of this style I can remember. The weird chemical burnt/smoke/charred caramel and chocolate is really offputting.

Thin. Bad.

2.11/5  rDev -43.6%

Nov notched very faintly. Sampled from the brewers collection pack, thanks to Pegasus for the bottle
Aroma: Ick. DMS? Grainy, hints of peat and malt with a slight note of cinnamon
Appearance: Red amber glass with a white head that collapsed to a thin coat. Single lonely carbonation bubbles rarely raced to the top.
Flavor: Some sort of chemical spill? An artificial harshness that reminds me of stove cleaner. Every beer we tasted out of this sampler had the same kind of flaw, are you shipping your mistakes to Texas? Just bad, far too bitter with a medicinal taste.
Mouthfeel: Acidic pucker, tannins, harsh hop bite in the finish.
Overall Impression: Drain food. Didn’t enjoy this at all, and I like Scotch ales. I think Sam Adams is trying to be all things to all people, which is a bad road. I’m also thinking that somehow the case we got was abused, well, hoping really.

2.21/5  rDev -40.9%

A-transparent dark amber with a thick light tan head. has a nice lacing that stays.

S-smells like another malty mess of a Sam Adams. All i'm picking up is a faint and salty caramel scent. This is a weak scent for any style.

T- comes in with an off taste of malted caramel...more malty than anything, its actually extremely disappointing and a bit gross. The after-taste is slightly pleasant with the caramels, but it does have a slight bitterness to it as well. I admit, even from Sam Adams, I expected a lot more from this one. I've had some good examples of this style, but this one is by far the worst yet.

M-has a pretty high carbonation with a finish that resembles carbonated water.

D-I had a difficult time getting through this one. The tastes really get to me. If I had any cookable food in my bachelor apartment, I wouldn't have finished this beer and would've kept it for marmalade. It came in the variety pack so I have one more left. I don't know what to do with it.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.32/5  rDev -38%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm beginging to notice a trend with Sam Adams brew. They all look great, but thats about it. Nice one finger creamy off-white head, great retention and lacing as well. Color is a deep copper, the color of cherry stained wood, red and ruby hues.

Aroma: Strong malt backbone, but lacks the sweet smell that's usually found in this style. Some diacetyl and a metallic tang. Not that impressed witht the aroma of this one. Some faint hop aromas-Noble?

Before I even taste this brew I'm going to predict a metallic tang. Not only does the aroma hint at this but so do the previous Sam Adams brews I've reviewed. Not as much metallic tang as the others but there's a bit in there. This brew also has a smoky flavor, along with some graininess to it. Some dark grains and bitterness from roasted grains. In my opinion this brew is a very poor example of a Scotch Ale. Nothing like Traquir Jacobite, I mean it shouldn't be just like it but I wouldn't even classifiy it as being a Scotch ale. The ABV isn't even high enough to classify it as a Scotch Ale, Scottish yes, but not Scotch. The brw isn't sweet enough to be balanced out by a higher alcohol content-a very common characteristic of scotch ales. This brew is way off the mark.

Mouthfeel of this brew is pretty good. Creamy in the mouth with a medium-heavy body, and lower carbonation...well at least for Sam Adams. I would not buy this beer again. It is a complete let down. I was looking forward to a Scotch Ale, and well this shouldn't be classified as one. There are definitely better examples of the style out there if you're looking to try a scotch ale don't look here.

2.36/5  rDev -36.9%

This was a decent ale, but a poor representation of the style, I felt. Colour was a brick red colour with a thin, khaki coloured head. Loads of CO2 and fair head retention. Average at best. Smell was a bit weak. "Malt" is about all I get from this. Taste, too, leaves alot to be desired. There is a grain / malt presence, and a touch of bitterness, but as far as any really noticeable flavour profiles, they simply aren't there. Not impressed. Mouthfeel is fair and the overall drinkability or "functionality" of this ale is decent. It is not a bad beer. In fact, I would likely drink this again. Especially with food. I simply think this is a very poor attempt at brewing a Wee Heavy.

Samuel Adams Scotch Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.74 out of 5 with 1,108 ratings