Samuel Adams Scotch Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Scotch AleSamuel Adams Scotch Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by Todd on 05-19-2001

Ratings: 1,107 |  Reviews: 638
2.45/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.46/5  rDev -34.9%

Very red color with beige dense head, ok retention and lacing. Slightly peaty aroma, grape skin, diacetyl, earthy cheesy hops. Flavor has more spicy hop than I would like, but it still finishes sweet. A little twang in there makes it a bit interesting.

Disappointing, confused as to what they are thinking with this brew. Overhopped for sure, which basically ruins the beer.

2.46/5  rDev -34.9%

2.49/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: Ruby red in color with a large and persistent off-white head, scattered patchy lacing with little carbonation. Quite attractive in all.

Aroma: Slight burnt caramel, cooked vegetables, and grainy characteristics.

Taste: Harsh bitter, burnt taste at the opening, medicinal in character, and lingering throughout the taste. Finishes dry with tannin notes and a follow through with medicinal characteristics.

Mouth feel: Thin overall, with a harsh and biting soda-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Far off of style for a Scotch Ale, a type which I happen to like very well. Disappointing that such a beer comes from Sam Adams, whom I associate with competent, if not inspired, craft brewing.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Maybe I'm just not a scotch ale person, but I didn't like this beer. Color started off nice, reddish brown pour. Smoky, peat moss kind of smell. The barrel aging taste that comes through with the malt was largely unsatisfying - like someone had spilled some bourbon in my beer. For me, the drinkability wasn't there - I can see sampling this one in a 2 oz. taster to appreciate the style, but not more than that.

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%

Got this in one of the Brewmaster's packs, this is a 2005 bottle.

Pours a dark amber into my pint; with a bubbly head that settles quickly.

Smell is of unidentified malts and yeast, along with an odd sweetness that reminds me of corn syrup.

Taste is mostly a blend of malts, rather slick and with a slight bitterness that hits the sides of my tongue. Very few hops evident. It's got a sweetness to it with a decidedly corny aftertaste. There's a mild smokiness and yeast in there too. Can't taste any peat flavor. Odd... it reminds me of the finish left by Sam Adams Hefe, which I really don't enjoy. It also makes my breath smell like corn. Blech.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and slightly dry. Again there's that odd grain / corn flavor that shines through.

This is a very different brew, and I didn't much care for it. The combination of malts tasted off to me, and the sweet corn flavor was a big turn off. Just not my style, I suppose.

Edit: In reading over other reviews of this beer it seems that either the consistency varies greatly or people are tasting something very different... I may revisit this one in the future and see if it's any better than what I've had this time.

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - dark bark brown with ruby highlights, off white foamy head which leaves a decent lace behind.

Smell - Some sweet malt and bitter hops.

Taste - Some sweet malt and bitter hops. Not sweet enough for this type of beer.

Mouthfeel - Too light for this type of beer.

drinkability - Average. An ok beer, nothing more.

2.63/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz into a snifter...let me preface this by saying I am in fact a big fan of the style...not this beer...I'll try to be constructive, but this one is fairly bad...this style is supposed to have a lot of malt depth, but it's pretty much all in one layer to my taste buds and has a slightly unpleasant astringency. This was purchased out of a sample pack and I'd never buy this on it's own, especially not now. It has some characteristics of scotch ales, but is not as impressive as the standard bearers of the style. I'm not sure what it is about Sam Adams, they seem to get their lagers and pilseners done with flying colors, quite good brews, but I've never to this day had a top quality ale from them.

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Aroma: Mild dark bread malty character. Light caramel notes. Low fruity esters.

Appearance: Clear brick red pour with an off-white head.

Flavor: Phenolic, artificial smoky character. Why does everyone think that all Scottish Ales have to be over-smoked? Some mild caramel-like character but that is under-stated.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation.

Overall impression: Big miss. Too much artificial smoke character and not enough true Scottish Ale character.

2.71/5  rDev -28.3%

I poured this beer from a bottle into a pint glass. This beer is amber colored with a one finger tan head that was gone quickly. This beer has minimal lacing. This beer barely had a smell but their was a hint of smokey malt. This beer has a light smokey malt and hop taste. The mouthful is crisp and carbonated. This is not a beer i would have again. I saw it had some good reviews but i don't understand. This beer did not have much flavor in my opinion. I wish I had something more to say about it but?

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Samuel Adams Scotch Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)