Samuel Adams White Christmas | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams White ChristmasSamuel Adams White Christmas

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Witbier

As crisp as the first snowfall of the year, this unfiltered white ale is blended with holiday spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, & orange peel. The familiar citrus and wheat characters of the ale are complemented by the warmth of the spices for a festive brew that's perfect for the season.

Added by TMoney2591 on 10-22-2012

Reviews: 318 | Ratings: 1,708
3.62/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Straw-gold ale, no discernible head.

Smell: Light malts, lemongrass, dry hops

Taste: Malts, ginger, cinnamon. Really, a nice seasonal and light enough for those who prefer something less chewy than the usual seasonal fare of stouts and porters and high alcohol brews.

Mouthfeel: Light,

Overall: Oddly enough, it tastes like some of the better homebrews I used to make. Certainly a decent brew.

3.62/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good! Not too spicy not too heavy! Loved it! whish I would have tried it sooner seams to be out of season now! Next year it will be the beer I drink on Christmas! Yes simply because of the name! This was 2 years ago! Last year I couldn't get it and this year I got it and it was not good! Not at all! Forced it down! SMH!

3.81/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This witbier pours a slightly opaque orange color with a thin white head. The smell is very spicy with hints of gingerbread, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. The taste confirms the smell. The spices are not over done in my opinion though they boldly overlay a nice medium / light bodied malt backbone. The flavor is fairly sweet for a beer, but not cloying. This beer screams Christmas, but it still tastes very much like a beer. This is definitely one of the better Sam Adam’s beers in my opinion though it wasn’t rated that well. I do agree that they could have upped the alcohol content, but still it's a nice addition to what I think is Sam Adam’s strongest season for variety packs, winter.

Poured a hazy orange color with about an inch of foam that spent itself quickly. Sme decent lacing in a Sam's pint. Aroma was typical wheat beer, very faint on the spices. Noted orange, nutmeg, cinnamon, maybe cardamom?, coriander. Taste was average. Nothing outstanding, but nothing bad either. Some spice notes, typical wheat beer haylike flavor. Lingered a bit on the tongue, but somewhat thin mouthfeel overall. Nice carbonation level. Wife liked it...

4.62/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So this was a definite yes for me. Upon opening the bottle you get hit with the scent of the spices. The beer tastes just as described and if I could compare it to something it would be a spic cake with hits of beer. I really enjoined this beer however those who don't like heavily spiced beers I would not recommend this.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice 1 inch head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing down a goblet glass.

There is a decent amount of sniff with a sweet orangish smell that I really like. I also get the bready wheat malts as well.

Taste is nice and sweet reminding me of a blue moon. The sweet gives way to that bready, wheat taste and a little spice, maybe cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium with a good carbonation.

Overall, a good beer but not enough of the Christmas spice in my opinion to be in a seasonal pack. I like blue moon and I like this beer but would go with the blue moon over this one because of price and availability.

2.66/5  rDev -23.3%

Sam Adams witbier, all right all right. Pours out a dull straw color with a feeble head. Slightly transparent, decent haze. One whiff and I knew I had to take another...because I couldn't smell anything. On a deep inhale, I got some citrus and wet grains. Flavor is similarly nondescript, just a little tang upfront followed by a decidedly more pleasant husky grain finish. Does not really strike me as a wit, more like a mediocre hefe. Not that every wit should be a slave to the bananaclove flavor profile, but if you're going a different route, at least make it interesting. The strongest part of the flavor here is the mellow but long lingering wheaty aftertaste. The most notable feature of the beer as a whole is its incredible texture, which only makes me wonder what could have been if they had nailed the taste.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Cloudy, light honey (orangish yellow). Minimal lace remains.
Smell: Spice, citrus.
Taste: Spice, tangy citrus. Maybe banana. Honey.

I enjoyed this. It's a relaxing drink. Basically, it feels like a weaker lager with some spices thrown in it. Decent, but obviously nothing you'd praise from the mountain tops. Spices are the dominant theme, but not too dominant. I will get this again next year in the seasonal pack.

3.66/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I'm not a big fan of this style. I got it in a combo pack. It was pretty good, for the style, though. Very orangey and very yeasty at the same time. I usually don't like that much, but it was fairly inoffensive. There was not too much coriander and seemed to be more on the clove side as far as spicing. Very inoffensive, though. More suitable for a general audience. Despite this, I really wouldn't want to drink this around Christmas time. I'm glad I held onto a bottle until late March before reviewing it. I don't like to be too harsh on styles I don't like and at the very least, I'd like to review this beer at a time when I'm more open to it. This is a much better warm-weather beer than a cold weather one. Winter is a time for very dark beers. This is very much a light and fruity brew.

3.64/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle served in a pint glass
A hazy pale gold in the glass, a swift pour yields a thick frothy head comprised of a mix of large and small bubbles. Once this subsides a nice layer remains which laces a bit. The smell is all spice up front. I'm hit by copious amounts of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and orange. Beyond the spice there is a bit of wheat character both in terms of malt and characteristic yeast notes. The taste is ok, at first the spice is very noticeable. Beyond the spice there is a decent wheat beer base with the pale malts and wheat providing a bit of subdued sweetness. There is a surprising amount of hop in there as well and this bitterness combines nicely with the orange and citrus of the yeast to round things out. Body is pretty light as a fair bit of carbonation and low residual sugar prevents this from feeling heavy. Despite the spice the finish is also pretty clean with just a bit of citrus and spice lingering, not cloying at all. Overall I'm pretty happy with this one, seems like a take on the old Sam Adams White Ale but maybe with things toned down a bit. This is a good example of the style and a nice change of pace for the season.

3.14/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
L - Poured a hazy medium Amber with a slight white head.
S - Smells lightly spiced.
T - Tastes like a typical witbier with a little spiciness.
F - Feels like it's barely carbonated.
O - Average beer.

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Included in the 2013 season of the Winter Pack.

Pretty standard affair, label-wise. Not as majestic as a couple of the others.

I poured this into a pint glass. It pours a hazy light gold, with a one finger head that shrinks rather quickly to a thick ring around the sides. Lacing is on the minimal side. Not bad in any way really, so a standard 4 from me.

Smell: I'm not really picking up anything but the orange peel. There's also a wheat-like aroma as it warms up, but not much else. The orange peel is nice, but it'd be nice if there was a bit more of something else to mix it up a bit.

Taste: Yep. Orange peel. I'm getting nothing of the nutmeg and cinnamon they claim on the bottle. A wheat/malt factor at the end, but it's mostly just the orange peel. With that being said, it still taste pretty decent, just not much in the way of complexity.

Feel: Light and silky. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, not sure I'd pick up a six of this, but pretty decent in a seasonal pack. I've only had three other "Witbiers" so I can't really compare too much to the style, but as a beer, it's pretty decent.

2.72/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Look: Cloudy dark gold: About a finger of white foam on top.

Smell: Perhaps a little pine and spice.

Taste: Tart: spice.

Feel: Thin

Overall: Meh...spicy thin IPA. Not much to see here. Still not a fan of SA.

2.88/5  rDev -17%

The wheat flavors dissipate as the beer warms up and the spices begin to bloom. Great lacing and a nice head. Compared to other Sam Adams offerings I'd say this is subpar, but I'm not a big fan of wheat.

3.66/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - it is a hazy amber color, with a head that goes flat.

Smell - it is of the spices and the orange peel, with a hint of the wheat.

Taste - a nice orange/wheat taste; with the spices giving it a dessert like taste.

Mouthfeel - good-bodied, although a bit too much carbonation.

Overall - This is a really good Christmas dessert beer from the holiday spices.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Limited edition, and an interesting idea. Sam takes a traditional white ale, which I associate with summer, and adds in the spices I associate with fall/winter beers (cinnamon, nutmeg). I'm expecting a punch of spices and a lingering citrus taste at the end.

This looks great. Nice tight head over a cloudy, pale orange beer. I can't wait to imbibe!

I smell orange and cinnamon, which have no business being in the same beverage, but somehow work here.

I'm getting the citrus and some wheatiness. It's nice, but not what I expected at all. The body is nice as well. It coats the inside of your mouth with a warmth that lingers slightly and has some sweetness that isn't sticky. It's a nice flavor.

It's just weird to me. The spices make this something warm and cozy, but as a result, all the fresh, crispness that comes with a traditional white. It left me confused, even though it is good. I would certainly have this again though.

bought this as a one-off - just before thanksgiving.

(having it right after a nice spiked egg nog)

a CLOUDY - some off shade of pale yellow. the head was white and wispy - almost like the head on a 7 up.
barely any lacing.

S not liking the smell - seems a bit "stale" no discernable hops. Im not finding the cinamon other reviews have mentioned, really nothing here that I can name.

T hand in hand with the nose - hard to put any name to it but honestly I dont like this

M nice carbonation

D - sorry but I have to say DONT BOTHER> this is the worst Ive seen from sam adams

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: this beer pours a hazy orange color and is topped with 1” of white head that lingers.
Smell: This smells like I expect a white ale to smell with the coriander and orange scents highlighting the aroma.
Taste: The flavor is a tad bit dull compared to the aroma just not as much snap to the flavors that are rather blended together instead of tasting each flavor separately.
Mouthfeel: It is spot on with the body not to light that it loses flavor but not too heavy that it is hard to drink

3.56/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The correct color and good looking maybe a little too yellow, carbonation is medium and head is not very big formed by white small bubbles. Cloudy as should be.

S: Spicy aroma with some wheat base that feels in the nose.

T: Typical flavor for a wit beer, some coriander and some wheat, citrus and banana are not present.

M: Not so intense as expected, nice but a little sweetness is missing and some bitterness is present.

3.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy gold color with a medium sized head that slowly dissipates, leaving a bit of lacing. Smell is of bready malts, holiday spices, some citrus, and some additional dark fruits. Taste is a nice combination of the aroma, very smooth in the mouth. Nice medium body, easy drinking, but flavorful.

2.27/5  rDev -34.6%

Pretty pale beer, murky with a little white head. Can smell a great deal of orange with a hint of cinnamon. Tastes watered down with some cinnamon spice.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Festive, light. Pours golden amber, A classic witbier with added spices and citrus. Light bodied, has a champagne feel for holiday celebrations. I rather like it!

3.01/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Pours out a somewhat cloudy with an almost orange tint.

S - The added cinnamon and nutmeg are very dominant, particularly the nutmeg. I could not sense any malt or hops.

T - As expected, the added spices overwhelm the malt and hops. The finish is very much nutmeg.

M- A very rich mouth feel, almost creamy.

O - I got this as part of case of "Winter Favorites" but it's not a favorite of mine. I don't mind a little spice in seasonal beers but this was just too much. Even a spiced beer should still taste like beer. If you like a lot of spice, this one is for you; otherwise not so much.

3.78/5  rDev +8.9%

a: Hazy orange/peach color. 1-1 half finger white head, fluffy.

s: gym socks, light clove, apricot, bubblegum, orange peel, spicy and generally malty.

t: Bright orange, bubblegum and clove, finishes with orange peel, cinnamon and bready malt.

m: medium body with some slickness to it. Medium carbonation.

o: Spices come through well, any more and it would have been too much for me. A bit sweet for my taste but nice.

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

A; 2 finger white puffy head, hazy golden straw color, medium carbonation

S: orange peel, bready malt, touch of wheat, coriander, citrus, and a slight cinnamon and i think i smell the nutmeg as well

T: a sweet bready malt with a big citrus/orange peel and spice wave at the end, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove are present at the end.

M: medium bodied from the wheat and a decent carb, a touch sweet for my taste however

O: decent beer, nothing special, i like the spring wheats better

Samuel Adams White Christmas from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)