Samuel Adams White Christmas | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White ChristmasSamuel Adams White Christmas
3.45/5
Okay
Samuel Adams White ChristmasSamuel Adams White Christmas

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Belgian Witbier

As crisp as the first snowfall of the year, this unfiltered white ale is blended with holiday spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, & orange peel. The familiar citrus and wheat characters of the ale are complemented by the warmth of the spices for a festive brew that's perfect for the season.

Added by TMoney2591 on 10-22-2012

Ratings: 1,765 |  Reviews: 329

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%

Sam Adams witbier, all right all right. Pours out a dull straw color with a feeble head. Slightly transparent, decent haze. One whiff and I knew I had to take another...because I couldn't smell anything. On a deep inhale, I got some citrus and wet grains. Flavor is similarly nondescript, just a little tang upfront followed by a decidedly more pleasant husky grain finish. Does not really strike me as a wit, more like a mediocre hefe. Not that every wit should be a slave to the bananaclove flavor profile, but if you're going a different route, at least make it interesting. The strongest part of the flavor here is the mellow but long lingering wheaty aftertaste. The most notable feature of the beer as a whole is its incredible texture, which only makes me wonder what could have been if they had nailed the taste.

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

2.88/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Picked up the new variety pack and served this in a pint.

A - A pale yellow mixed with a rich orange. Thin white head.

S - Orange, clove, touch of nutmeg and some assorted spices. Nothing to make me get excited over, yet not poor.

T - Odd stuff. Had I been blind tasting this I would have told you I was sipping on a lightly spiced cider. An apple sweetness starts it off and progresses with a fruity flavor into some bready notes. Pretty good.

M - Medium body, more viscous than I anticipated. Seems as if there is just a hint of caramel or maple syrup here. Smooth all around.

O - Far from a miss. This beer gives a nice winter-styling to a traditional Witbier. I prefer the more notorious Belgian brothers of the style, but I do applaud this American adaptation.

1.25/5  rDev -63.8%

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass. Purchased at Wakefield Liquors in Wakefield, Rhode Island.

A- Pours a very hazy, golden orange with a 2" white head. Little lacing/retention.

S- Oranges and corn. Maybe some faint clove in the background.

T- Oranges and citrus, but really no authentic spice flavor here except maybe a hint of cinnamon. Tastes like a cheap version of blue moon.

M- Medium carbonation, slightly thick.

Overall I was unimpressed with this one. I had to choke down the last few sips. Not a winter style in my opinion, either.

3.9/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass. Pours hazy yellow orange with a thick white head and lots of tiny bubbles. The head dissipates slowly. Poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass. Pours hazy yellow orange with a thick white head and lots of tiny bubbles. The head dissipates slowly. The flavor is an interesting taste on the classic witbier. The wheat malt backbone is there with juicy orange flavor. I get the cinnamon and nutmeg, but they are not overpowering. The spices instead complement the flavors of this beer well. The body is light to medium with moderate carbonation. The beer is very smooth and highly drinkable. This is a very good beer. Like a previous reviewer, I agree this beer gives us a reason to enjoy a wit in the winter.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Limited edition, and an interesting idea. Sam takes a traditional white ale, which I associate with summer, and adds in the spices I associate with fall/winter beers (cinnamon, nutmeg). I'm expecting a punch of spices and a lingering citrus taste at the end.

This looks great. Nice tight head over a cloudy, pale orange beer. I can't wait to imbibe!

I smell orange and cinnamon, which have no business being in the same beverage, but somehow work here.

I'm getting the citrus and some wheatiness. It's nice, but not what I expected at all. The body is nice as well. It coats the inside of your mouth with a warmth that lingers slightly and has some sweetness that isn't sticky. It's a nice flavor.

It's just weird to me. The spices make this something warm and cozy, but as a result, all the fresh, crispness that comes with a traditional white. It left me confused, even though it is good. I would certainly have this again though.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

4.22/5  rDev +22.3%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Best before March '13

A - Light golden with a great haziness to it. Medium sized white head falls to a small cap. Little bits of lacing left on the glass.

S - Get a nice aroma of sweet orange peel and a lot of wheat. Floral with a bit of coriander here. Medicinal phenols.

T - Slight bit of sweetness right away. Grainy malt gives way to big twangy wheat character. Flavor dries up towards the end and has a well crafted spiced finish. I get that pseudo pumpkin beer quality. Allspice and nutmeg are easy to pick up on but don't overwhelm.

M - Medium-light body works perfect, medium-high carbonation, semi-sweet.

O - A lot of wheat crammed into this brew. Aroma shows good complexity and traditional wit characters. Taste is dominated by wheat but finishes with a cool curveball. Great feel and appearance to the beer. Throws a good switch to a common summer style, a good excuse to enjoy wit in winter.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

Samuel Adams White Christmas from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.45 out of 5 with 1,765 ratings