Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Agent IPLSamuel Adams Double Agent IPL
3.73/5
Good
Samuel Adams Double Agent IPLSamuel Adams Double Agent IPL

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Ratings: 1,564 |  Reviews: 314
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Alright, this is the 1st of 3 new beers to come out of Samuel Adams Spring Thaw mixed pack. Even though I have already had my 1st one and am reviewing my 2nd, this is the first official IPL I have ever had.

A: This beer pours a darkish wheat color with a thin soapy white head that leaves some lacing. Initial color is of a typical lager or macro, but has that orange tint to it due to the hops.

S: Very hoppy smell up front and I noticed it as soon as I poured it out of the glass. Has some underlying pine and grapefruit characteristics. This beer says that it uses tropical fruit notes and i dont notice much, maybe some kiwi or pineapple.

T: Nice hop bite in the flavor, starts sweet and then turns tart. I can taste the pine right behind the hops, as well as the grapefruit. Its a nice blend that finishes with i believe to be clove or some other earthy note.

M: It has a nice bitter bite to it that is balanced well with the sweetness from the pine of the earthy notes.

O: I think this beer is a very nice twist on an IPA, nobody does innovation like Sam Adams thats for sure. This can be a great any occasion beer for standard Macro beer drinkers and craft beer enthusiasts alike.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Double Agent IPL pours a clear golden color, with a very nice lacing head. There is a strong hoppy floral aroma. The taste is very well balanced, good floral notes, but not overerly bitter, with a good solid malty backbone. Good full and crisp flavor. Overall a very nice beer, the hops don't make this beer, but instead add on to it.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Sam Adams Double Agent IPL pours a nice clear light copper color with a large, fluffy white head. The aroma is excellent, this guy is hoppier than I expected, delivering a big hoppy citrus and resin kick. The taste is also excellent, it's got great zesty citrus and piney flavors over a grainy malt finish. Lots of hop resin on the finish. The mouthfeel is light and well-carbonated, and the drinkability is excellent.

Double Agent IPL is just the new beer Samuel Adams needed. It's a unique year-round offering for most of the country, and has enough hops to satisfy a hop head like me with a very low ABV. The hop profile is actually rather reminiscent of Laguntias's DayTime.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours clear amber in color with a nice amount of carbonation, two fingered rocky cream colored head and sticky, cotton candy lacing.

S - Zesty citrus rind spice and pine resin, very hop forward and drowns out any malt presence in the aroma. Very hoppy for a lager and extremely hop forward for Sam Adams.

T - Orange and pineapple rind hop resin up front, some caramel malt that is mildly grainy in the middle, and closes with another wave of tropical fruit rind and bitter pine resin finish. Finish is a little grainy, semi-dry, and leaves a zesty coating of tropical fruit rind with extremely long, bitter pine finish.

M - Light medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation pricklies.

O - I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams because I prefer my beers to be less balanced and more hop forward, SA has stepped out of the box on this one and hopped it to high heaven. I would say next to the Hallertau Imperial Pils they brewed years ago this is the next hoppiest beer I've ever had from them. Nicely done and with an ABV of only 5% I can easily get my hop fix and not worry about losing my wits, this is a perfect session beer for the hop lovers. I can see the reviews being all over the board on this one as it deviates from the typical balanced beers they tend to brew.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle purchased as part of the Spring mix pack. Pours a crystal clear amber with a good inch of off white head. Smells like pine and citrus. Citrus, pine, cattiness dominate the flavor with a slight biscuity flavor for balance. Medium in body and carbonation. Not bad. A good hop bomb.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Boston Beer Co
Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL

LOOK: Deep golden color with a soapy topping of foam that leaves ample lacing on the glass. Pours with a fine clarity.

SMELL: Bready and hoppy aromas. Malty and sweet with discernible fruity notes of citrus and pineapple juice. As advertised, smells like a hoppy west coast lager.

TASTE: Lager like flavor of biscuit upfront giving way to pine and hibiscus. Soothing herbal notes gives off a menthol like sensation. Bitterness is substantial, but not overbearing. Slightly spicy and earthy, while certainly full of grapefruit. Well balanced, this beer "was who we thought it was". Boston Beer delivers on this hoppy lager.

FEEL: Light to medium bodied, well carbonated and smooth.

OVERALL: Hoppy lagers have existed in Europe for centuries, and if it takes the "India" label to make the product marketable so be it. A nice alternative to the standard flagship and also hopped up Boston Lager. I'm onboard with this , more hoppy lagers please.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.12/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

Not sure how to classify this... seems it's a hybrid... or at least a heavily hopped lager.

You can instantly smell the hops... so you know there will be plenty of bitter finish and citrusy taste going on.

This one really tastes more on the IPA side.. I know they are labeling it as an India Pale Lager...

I'm not a huge IPA fan and not surprisingly I'm not a huge fan of this beer. What I do love most about IPA's is when they have a big grapefruit flavor... and I'm getting citrus here , but not necessarily grapefruit...

It isn't quite as bitter as most IPA's I've tried.

I'd like to see a big IPA fan who is also a lager fan review this... I'm just going by how it tastes to me... and it's just ok.

firstprev| 1501-1525 | 1526-1550 | 1551-1575  | next → last
Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.73 out of 5 with 1,564 ratings