Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Agent IPLSamuel Adams Double Agent IPL
3.73/5
Samuel Adams Double Agent IPLSamuel Adams Double Agent IPL

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by Ford on 12-28-2012

Ratings: 1,564 |  Reviews: 314

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pilsner glass
Best before: Dec 13

A: Pours a crystal clear golden amber with 3 fingers width of white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles can be seen rising to the top of the glass. Head has excellent retention and leaves lots of honeycomb lacing.

S: Malty, lager yeast, hop spice, faint citrus.

T: Matly, citrus rind, orange, lemon lime. Decent bitterness.

M/D: Medium body, crisp and clean finish, drinkability is average.

O: Overall, pretty good. Better than I thought it was going to be actually, not because I am a Sam Adams hater (which I am not), but because I tend to not like lager styles. This is a tasty beer though. I wouldn't seek it out but I may drink it again if its the only non BMC on tap somewhere.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle given to me by my mother in law’s brother in law. Thanks Floyd! “AUG 2103” checked off on the side of the label. We are only 7 days into August so that is good!

A 3 inch creamy head over a translucent light copper body. Good look and possibly better than I thought it might look. 4.0

S Floral hops in front, distant barley malt also in there. I sense a gentle sweetness as well. Mostly it is like a hop flower though. Ho-hum to me. 3.0

T Like a lager eclipsed by a lot of floral hops. The hops are up front and carry all of the way through to the after taste. I don’t mind hops but here they are used too much and it leaves an unbalanced beer taste in my opinion. 2.5

M edgy with the floral hops and somewhat full feel because of it. 3.5

D/O Drinkability is meh. Overall this is “as advertised:” on overly hopped Lager. I found myself wishing that it was a lager since I appreciate the taste of a standard lager over this rather gimicky beer. 2.0

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best By: Nov

Pours a nice clean/clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, with a very nice one-finger creamy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hop notes, sweet. The taste is malty, slightly hoppy. Medium body with a dry/bitter finish. Overall a tasty brew, but would probably not buy again, we'll see.

3.29/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Aggressively poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: poured a nice golden amber. Cream colored head that left a nice lace.

S: citrus hop aroma dominates, faint hint of malt. The aroma dies quickly for me.

T: hoppy bitterness with a bit of malty sweetness. Nice hop spice on the end. Don't notice the alcohol.

M: thin and dies quickly.

O: tasty and solid. I'd drink again. Not memorable but not bad either. I'd prefer more body.

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.73 out of 5 with 1,564 ratings