Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Little White Rye | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Little White RyeSamuel Adams Little White Rye
3.26/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Little White RyeSamuel Adams Little White Rye

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by Brad007 on 03-28-2013

3.49/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the summer mixpack.. hazed golden.. short lasting white head with little lacing.

The nose is sage heavy, I thought at first it was cardamom.. peppery and light sweet citrus zest..

Despite all the weird spices and herbs, I think this is pretty tasty..

Light body and medium carbonation make for a burpy brew, but it is still drinkable... would work well with authentic Thai.

3.25/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5

3.72/5  rDev +14.1%

Any morw when I get these mixed cases from Sammy, I now buy them for the value, pretty sure this offering won't dissabuse me from that line of thought...

Pours bronze with a sliver if beige head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Coriander, white grape, orange peel

T: Follows the nose, grains of paradise & white pepper & orange peel. A kiss of honey dryness, orange peel & more grains of paradise as this warms. Finishes dry with some sweet tangerine notes & a touch of peppery spice, plus golden delcious apples & wheat tartness

MF: Medium bodied, slight carbonation, skews a tad sweet for the style

Drinks very easy, could do a few on a hot summer's day, I'd easily put it above Hooegarten Wit in it present state. This one exceeded my expectations

3.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served up in a growler, the beer poured a hazey golden color with a thick short lived white head. aroma was malty with clove, honey and citrus. The beer was light on the palate with a slight hops finish and tasted like it smelled, of cloves and citrus. I have never had a rye beer so I really am unable to make a comparison but, overall I thought the beer was very nice. I will give the mouthfeel a little bit better than average rating as I enjoy the yeasty aftertaste. The brew seems to get better as it warms.

3.27/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hazy and golden-yellow in color...white head and a bit of lace. Average, but nice-looking beer. The smell is interesting...lots of pepper, seems like a mix of white and black pepper and something a bit more exotic. Earthy and spicy. Some underlying stone fruit. The taste is similar...the spice and pepper kick in quickly...not much malt...drier than I expected. I don't get rye, but there is a notable grain streak running through the beer. Fairly full in body. Full carbonation. Drinkable and interesting, but not something that would entice me again and again.

2.78/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pale copper hue with a bright white head forming fine speckled lacing with a hazed finish, the nose is full of sage and coriander. Spicy rye upfront in the nares with the sage/coriander combo not a bad beer. Flavor it's seeping through with all of those, let's put into perspective. Harsh spicy flavor full of a wave of coriander and sage with mixed vegetable green notes. Full bodied slick mouthfeel can't wish or wait for much more. Overall this beer is a job and somebody has got to do it.

3.27/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Samuel Adams’ Little White Rye was a pleasant surprise. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but ended up liking the flavor very much. The aroma is okay but the flavor is complex. I can taste the orange, coriander and rye. The sage is probably there too but I don’t know the flavor well enough on its own to tell you if I tasted sage.

Overall this beer has a nice herbal quality and I would pick it out specifically if I saw it outside the Summer Brew sampler box it came in.

Pairings: It would taste good with corned beef and cabbage.

1.75/5  rDev -46.3%

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

As I poured this beer I instantly received a nice scent of citrus and a nice lite colored beer. The first sip was very refreshing and tasteful, with a nice fruity aftertaste. The flaver of this beer stayed with me for a long time before I took my next sip, I look for summer time and hot weather to try this again.

3.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy-golden with white, long lasting head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of wheat malt, ripe fruit and spices. Body is full and crisp. Taste is of spices, sweet malt, citrus and cotton candy. Finish is earthy, spicy and sweet as well. Nice summer brew.

Samuel Adams Little White Rye from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)