LongShot Strawberry Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

LongShot Strawberry LagerLongShot Strawberry Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Bitterbill on 03-30-2013

3.51/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden straw color with a decent sized white head, bubbles fade at a slightly quick rate and leave no lacing on the glass, surprisingly there are some floaties in the beer for what I would have expected to clear.

Smell is quite distinctively strawberry, quite the sweet fruit aroma, slight sweet malt backing, no hop presence that I can distinguish behind the strawberry.

Taste starts right out with the strawberry sweetness and finishes with it too, for as sweet as it is it isn't cloying although quite artificial, carbonation is nice and high which gives it more refreshing-ness than it deserves.

Overall, not a bad lawnmower beer and considering I'm drinking this on a day that has hit the low 90's, I'd rather be drinking this than the barleywine I have in my fridge (at least until I get the AC installed).

3.64/5  rDev +6.7%

Snagged all three of the longshot beers at the House of 1,000 beers.

A - Daymn my pour has a shit ton of sediment floaties! Ew! Beer is overall a fairly bright yellow with just a 1/4 inch of head that settles to a mild lace ring.
S - Lager yeast meets Strawberry puree, I am actually surprised how strong it smells and how little actual lager it smells of.
T - Really not loving this I am one of the few that like my fruit beers to taste of fruit and not beer. Very little strawberry flavor or tartness just a touch of sweet malts and no hops. If anything I am grateful it doesn't taste like corn.
M - Light to medium, leading toward refreshing. OK summer brew.

Overall it goes out to accomplish what its brewed as a lager with strawberry flavors. This is why I can't rate it too low since it excels in both balance and flavor.

2.99/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves a very thin and spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains strawberries, very light malts, some lager yeast and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a very strong strawberry sweetness. Then some mild breadiness comes in from lager yeast and a very thin malt character. The hops presence is very mild and doesn’t bring much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, even if you’re looking for a fruit beer there are better choices than this one.

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a sediment ridden golden yellow color with a fingers worth of head that gently settles down to a thin cap

S: Lots of strawberry up front, along with a light citrus fruitiness and malts

T: Starts off with a blast of strawberries followed up by a light maltiness. Get some citrus as well, but it is well overpowered by the strawberries. Very clean and surprisingly not too artificial

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A nice little summer fruit beer that is definitely refreshing, but a little one-dimensional. Recommended for those who enjoy fruity beers and strawberries

3.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Drink by August 2013. Poured into a 20oz shaker pint.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, somewhat chunky amber color. Gigantic, fistful of head due to the aggressive pour... eventually falls to about three, and finally half. Head is pillowy, and the lacing is great. One of the best lagers I've seen.

Smell: Definitely strawberries in there, with a spicy hop note to make things a bit more interesting. Not much depth, but certainly pleasant.

Taste/feel: Definite lawn-mower type beer like the brewer intended it to be. Starts and finishes smooth with a slightly thicker than water consistency. There's a lot of strawberry in this beer, for sure, but it's a mild beer overall. There malts and trace of hops balance it all out pretty well. Virtually no bitterness to speak of.

A respectable beer. I do find it to be a bit light, but then again, that's what this beer's purpose is. A sexy looking beer with a pleasant aroma and flavor. The strawberry flavor lingers, and I enjoy it, as it doesn't taste artificial. Not a great beer by any means, but a tasty one... the ladies and BMC drinkers alike would enjoy sipping on this one, I think. A very good starter's beer.

4.5/5  rDev +32%

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant golden with a hint of pink and a frothy one inch ivory head that slowly dissipates, levine spotty lacing.

Grain and strawberries form the initial aroma. Seems fairly sweet, honey-like.

Flavor is grainy and citrusy, with a fairly crisp finish, and strawberry emerges in the aftertaste. Lemon and orange complement the strawberry flavor nicely. The malt backbone is slightly bready.

Body is slightly watery, with carbonation on the high aside, providing a sense of refreshment.

Very clean, refreshing beer. Strawberry doesn't totally overwhelm. It's a bit sweet, but it's a strawberry lager...

1.09/5  rDev -68%

Wow...I can smell the strawberry aroma the second the cap comes off....over done anyone?

Pours like a golden lager.

Strawberry....sugar. Nothing else.

All I can taste is strawberry until there's a weird sorta beer like finish.

Light kinda drinkable if you ignore the flavor.

Drain pour. This is awful, terrible.

3.27/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Strawberry Lager from this years LongShot Series last week for $1,89 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way though this years LongShot Series and this was the next one that I randomly grabbed, I have yet to have a Strawberry Lager that I liked, so let's see if this one can win me over. Notched best by September. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's got the typical LongShot label with a drawing of the winner with their name on it. It poured a slightly hazy yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down a thing ring that left some nice lacing behind. This was a nice looking Lager, but it was just a little hazy for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by tons of strawberrys being the first to show up, at first I get a big strawberry preserve like aroma that develops into a strawberry hard candy like aroma, Up next comes a light citrus aroma with some creamy and bready malt aromas. The aroma was average, but I thought the lack of balance with the sweet and pungent strawberry aromas really hurt the aroma of this beer, the strawberry was too intense.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but much lighter and balanced, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some grainy, sweet malt, and bread flavors that make for a typical Lager base. The strawberry flavors are just about at the right level and aren't too overpowering and they don't taste artificial. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a slight bit of tartness instead with a grain, sweet malts, and strawberry like aftertaste. The taste was Ok, it was better and more balanced than the aroma.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it seemed to be fairly true to style.

Overall I wasn't really into this beer and I thought it was an average example of the style, it wasn't the worst Strawberry beer I've had, but it didn't win me over either. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the flavors didn't do the best job at holding my attention, so I think one would be enough for me, I don't feel the need to have another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it worked nicely with this beer and it was fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, the strawberrys were just way too dominant for my liking and it made the aroma really unbalanced. All in all this beer was ok, but it just wasn't for me and it hasn't broken the trend of disappointing strawberry beers for me. I would say this beer was pretty similar to Abita's Strawberry Lager and I think they are just about on the same Level. This was my second beer from this years LongShot series and another one that I just wasn't into, I hope this last one is pretty good because because so far I'm not a fan of this years LongShot Series.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- pours a clear golden color with a small fizzy white head that reduces quickly, leaving a small layer on top. Some small particles floating around the glass.

S- straight up strawberry. Reminiscent of a strawberry daiquiri, strawberry pie and strawberry purée. A little bit of a pie-crust-like malty sweetness. Smells just as a strawberry lager should.

T- sweet malty notes blends with strawberry flavors that turns slightly astringent mid-palate, the finish is dry with a tart strawberry flavor in the linger.

M- light body with medium carbonation, somewhat foamy mouthfeel with a slick finish

O- pretty refreshing beer for a hot day. Nothing extreme but its just what you would expect a strawberry liger to taste like. The tart notes of strawberry leave you wanting another sip, this one went down quite easily

3.86/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottleneck reads

C0583205
05832057

A= Pours a very light yellow color with a lot of floaties throughout the beer. The head is a small white color with some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The smell is strong of strawberries. Quite nice and refreshing to be honest. It smells like a bag of those freeze dried strawberries freshly opened. The lager smell comes through but there isn't anything interesting going on there.

T= The taste is a bit more subdued in the strawberry flavor but it comes through. It actually tastes like they used those freeze dried strawberries just because the sort of waxy chalky taste that comes through it. It's not bad but it isn't the totally fresh bright strawberries I got from the nose. Again it has the basic lager taste but it isn't really interesting so I'll save myself from painfully finding new ways to describe the flavor of "beer".

M= A nice mouth but I think a little more bright carbonation would be fun.

O= This isn't a bad beer by any means. In fact if this were avalible regularly I could see myself reaching for it early summer. As far an mind blowing or living up to my high expectations it seems little less exciting. A strawberry lager is what it's called and a strawberry lager is what it is.

LongShot Strawberry Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)