Samuel Adams Utopias MMIII | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Utopias MMIIISamuel Adams Utopias MMIII

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a connection that had their bottle filled up the day prior to my tasting it. The bottle and appearence of this beer was great. It smelled sweet and looked like a brandy in the glass. For all the hype of this it wasn't all that it was worked up to be. I know this beer takes a very long time to be brewed and processed but wasn't something that I'd be willing to go out and purchase on my own to have a bottles. Jim Koch is a great guy I've met him a couple of times but this beer if you want to call it a beer more of a brandy to me wasn't what I was looking for from a Sam Adams. The good points of this beer is you can't tell that its 25% alcohol. And you don't need much of it at all to tell if you really enjoy it or if its just not your beer.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

I was lucky to spot a bottle of this at Plan B in Simsbury, Ct tonight. Despite the price ($30 for a snifter glass) I had to try it because...well...why not? Glad I did. Just plain fun.

Like everyone else has already stated, yes, it's more of a Cognac than a beer. It comes in a beautiful copper bottle and pours with no absolutely zero carbonation. It has a ruby copper color to it much like a brandy or scotch.

The smell is like a maple syrup flavored brandy, but the maple aroma is subtle not overpowering. It reminded me of Grand Marnier somewhat (I mean that as a compliment).

The taste is very much like the aroma, a good Cognac with subtle maple syrup overtones. It has a sharp alcohol aftertaste like a brandy, but not as much bite as a Scotch Whiskey.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Yummy!

Drinkable? Yes, if you are a beer enthusiast, this is interesting and a lot of fun. Be prepared to pay though. I give Utopia high marks because it's different and adventurous. Is it technically a beer? I don't know. Either way, thanks Sam Adams!

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

As many have said this beer is more like a sherry or cognac it has a beautiful bouquet and the taste is warm and smooth. The maple syrup used in the brewing process is mildly perceptible and also lends a caramel taste at the finish. Despite its sweetness I didn't find it to be too cloying or overpowering and heavy like some barley wines.

In a world of extreme beers this one is very high on the list. I am fortunate enough to have another bottle of the same year cellering for future use and I can't wait.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Samuel Adams Utopias MMIII from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)