Martens Pilsener | Brouwerij Martens NV

Added by stcules on 01-13-2005

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 140
2.94/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out of the twist-off plastic bottle a golden color with active bubbles. Head is foamy and frothy and sticks around. Also leaves some beautiful lacing. Very thick and textural looking. Such a mild and faint earthy hop and honey malt aroma combination in the nose. Flavor is extremely light and pretty well mirrors the nose. I honestly can't pick out any "bad" flavors in this one. Just a little too clean and seltzery for me, really. Kind of like it's 1 part club soda and 2 parts lager. Just a touch of butteriness in the finish, I believe. Mouthfeel is very light with some fairly smooth carbonation. While not very interesting, this is certainly a thirst quencher and wholly unoffensive. At under $1.70 for a 500 ml bottle, I might be going back to this every now and then.

2.44/5  rDev -22%

Green plastic bottle holding 50 cl (16.9 fluid ounces), screw-top, best before mid December 2007, drank 1st November 2007.

Poured into one of my Veltin Pilsner glasses ( 20cl size) three times.

All pilsners should be a clear golden yellow in colour, some are really pale, some darker, this is midway between and looked fine. A good white head, which did sink a little fast, to leave a thin covering above the beer which had a steedy stream of bubbles slowly meandering up the body towards the head.

Can you smell dry hops and dry yeast? Well most likely not, in a beer anyway. That is what hit my nose. I normally give pilsners a 3 for aroma because I rarely smell anything, but I can smell this one and it isn't to my likeing.

The dryness carries on into the taste, again not really to my likeing, it is not refreshing or as clean tasting as a German pilsner and lacks the fizz of an Italian Med Lager. It sits between the two and fails to excite me at all. Strangely, the bigger the mouthful the more I liked it, a supping beer it isn't, but a throwing or quaffing beer maybe. Trouble is a don't quaff or throw beer down my throat anymore, I like to supp and savour the taste.

Ever licked a shoe box?

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

Yellow color, fizzy appearance. Quite creamy head, white and compact.
The smell is a bit common and banal, but it's a pils smell, correct, quite grassy, with a malty background.
The smell has a decent bitterness. Acceptable basic pils.
Quite bitter aftertaste, also, with honey hints. Quite long bitterness.
Light body.