Andelot Cuvee Diabolique | De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Andelot Cuvee DiaboliqueAndelot Cuvee Diabolique
Liked This Beer
3.94 w/ 71 ratings
Andelot Cuvee DiaboliqueAndelot Cuvee Diabolique

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)
proefbrouwerij.com

Style: Tripel

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 08-15-2004

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured a murky gold from a 11.2 oz. bottle, with a huge head and good retention (thankfully because I couldn't keep my nose out of it). Thick, sticky lacing on my pint glass. The nose on this was a delight: tart and musky scents wafted, some floral, rich compost pungence, and fruity esthers from the classic Belgium yeast that I love. When I finally took a sip I was surprised by light fruit (bananas, cantalope), of course the alcolol was there, some butter and a light zest from hops. I didn't get the maltiness of a true tripel, and the balance and nuances made me think of a well-crafted Belgium pale ale, with only the alcohol heating to betray the style. The mouthfeel was juicy and lively. Picked this up with some of the Angelique at an outlet store here in Portland. It was cheap and I was happy to find it undamaged. A lot going on here and a real pleasure to sift through all that character.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

Popped the cork on a 750ml bottle and poured into my St. Feuillien goblet, the Diabolique is golden colored with slight chill haze and very active streamers, upon which rests a rocky, 2-finger white head that is very slow to subside and leaves thick clingy lace. Very impressive, this is pretty much exactly what I look for in a tripel, though if I nit-pick, I prefer more yellow then orange. Upon further inspection, the darker color is the only thing that leans more tripel then BSPA.
The aroma is moderate, soft malt and tropical fruits, with a touch of spiciness and fair amount of fusel alcohol.
The taste starts out spicy and with a sharp mineral twang before softening and growing sweeter, lots of fruit and pilsner malt, and finishing pretty cleanly with a just a touch of hop bitterness. Neither bad nor great, the astringency up front is probably not overcome by the sweetness and moderate depth that follows, although the disparity diminishes significantly as it warms. This is much more like a BSPA then a tripel, quite clearly a Duvel clone. I'm not scoring it as a tripel, as there is not indication on the bottle that it is marketed as such, again, clearly a Duvel style BSPA ("Belgian Ale" on label), confirmed by my tasting. I feel the distinction becomes clear as you let the Diabolique warm, where the fruitness of the yeast clearly asserts itself over the spice. The finish is maybe not as dry as some BSPAs, and as it warms, the fusels become more assertive.
The mouthfeel is pretty nice, medium bodied but smooth and creamy, yet nicely carbonated.
The drinkablity on this is pretty high. Not fantastic, but nicely done and easy drinking, interesting and stronger then it seems, aside from the nose. As it warmed up it really began to win me over, so that I really milked my last 1/2 glass, wishing I had another bottle. Also, it is one of the more affordable Belgians, at least in Portland, which invariably increases the drinkability. After having their Angelique, which was sub-par, the Diabolique was a pleasant surprise. Still, I don't like the fact that both of those beers are clones of true classics...I'm interested (mildly) to see if any of De Proefbrouwerij's other beers from the Andelot line are actually unique!

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

I just started trying out some imports recently and this is definitely one of the better ones I have tried so far. Its high in alcohol, but I really could not tell while drinking it. Super-thick, frothy head with amazing retention. An amzingly drinkable beer for the amount of alcohol. Very recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

I am new to this but i must say , out of all the of the brews i have tried as of late this one has been my favorite! I enjoy the aroma , I enjoy the flavor , and I have bought several to this date. I myself have been a scotch drinker but have left it on the shelf as of late as I have been frolicking among the rather enjoyable flavors i have recently encountered. I am new at this and perhaps I am not doing it right but I really really reallly like this beverage and wish to explore more as I am sure I will!

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

750 corked and caged. I didn't even finish taking the cage off when the cork went flying from the bottle! So, be careful. Anyway, the beer itself looks nice. Cloudy golden color with the typical belgian head. Lots of bubbly carbonation. Smells very sweet, candy like with just a bit of tropical fruit and percievable alcohol. Taste is thick and malty sweetness. Fruitiness comes with warming. Just a bit of hops to balance this one out just right. Maybe a bit more complexity would have helped though. Mouthfeel is good, smooth and slightly chewy. Good beer. Very Duvel like as has been said before.

4.46/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a stubby 330ml bottle into a snifter. This presented itself as a valiant citizen of Belgium ... golden orange, hazy and opaque with a mushroom cloud of white foam to cap it off. The first waft gives me an aroma of lemon grass and a sweet fresh springtime air ... very inviting and seductive. The flavor is grand, but light and fruity, almost as sweet as a pineapple fruit cocktail. As I slowly sip it on this cold February night, I want for a warm sunny day in a European cafe with a plate of soft cheese. Superb! (#2677, 2/3/07)

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a slightly hazed golden color with a fluffy and creamy had that thins, but maintains. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very doughy and yeasty with a hint of spicy hops and a light fruitiness.

Doughy and yeasty upfront with a light fruitiness. Leads into a spicy hop flavor with a bit more hop bitterness than anticipated from the smell. Finishes with a lingering mix of yeast and hops. Slightly boozy as it warms.

Full body, plenty of carbonation.

Nice drinkable brew, and a quality tripel all-around. Belgian fans will not want to miss this one.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Andelot Cuvee Diabolique pours a golden yellow with a large white head from a brown 750 ml corked and caged bottle. It has some fruit in the aroma. I like the taste it's got a nice amount of candy and fruit flavors in a pleasant balance. Quite enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured as an after dinner drink post Thanksgiving dinner. Pours a light golden yellow color topped with a creamy white head. There is a good amount of lacing ringing the glass that accompanies the excellent head retention.

The aroma is buttery and very aromatic. It is somewhat sharp and reminds me of some strong cheeses. I detect a faint whiff of alcohol in there as well.

Taste is creamy and fruity. There is a nice bitterness in the backend.

Mouthfeel is tangy and highly carbonated. Light to medium bodied. Overall, a very tasty ale.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a very clear yellow color with a tall head that falls slowly and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is spicy and has some light fruitiness. The flavor is surprisingly full. Lots of light fruits with a low spice profile. This beer isn't as interesting as I thought it would be - it's kind of like a Pilsner with a slightly more interesting flavor character. The body is very full and it has good drinkability.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A nice pale hay color with light head for a belgian ale.

S- Yeasty with a hop aroma you dont usually find with belgain ales with hints of orange and citrus.

T- First thing that hits your tounge is the sweetness of a belgian ale but the hops jump up right after. Almost a nice unexpected bitterness to the finish of this beer.

M- Smooth and not as carbonated as most BA's.

D- At first try I was a bit disapointed, but this beer is starting to grow on me as I like the hoppiness. Not my favorite, but a must try.

Wavz

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

This is a 750 mL bottle of Diabolique that I forgot that I had and found only as we were boxing up our home until a big move. I am drinking it chilled from a Chimay goblet.

A: The ale is a a deeper translucent yellow color with a thick fluffy white head does retains moderately and leaves a pleasant ring of lace around the glass.

S: The ale has a spicy peppercorn aroma that fades quickly into a sweet malt smell.

T: The ale has a peppercorn flavor that flows from the nose. The other spices are somewhat restrained but the beer does have a very caustic impact on the palate with a case of overcarbonation.

M: The mouthfeel is average with nothing memorable standing out.

D: The drinkability is average as well, with nothing that makes this beer shine.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

When poured this dull orange colored beer with lots of carbonation has a very fluffy cotton like opaque colored head that laces the glass and lasts all the way thru.

The smell was very yeasty with some spice in there as well. Also citrus scents, the zinging freshness of lemon as well. Also some green apple scents as are also there.

The taste was very strong and was filled with a spicy earthy and slightly hoppy in the aftertaste.

This beer is very nice. The carbonation hits the tounge and sends a rush of flavors through the mouth.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

This self-proclaimed cuvee pours a hazy yellow-orange with a substancially thick white head, which fades like the fog on the shore...that is slowly.
A few laces are present. They stick to the sides of the glass like they are scared stiff. Smells spicey like a Belgium should, some corriander, orange peel, and lemon earth cuvee want to proclaim home.
The taste is quite typical of it's style, which is earthy and spicy. Saaz hops are quite apparant. The smell is typical it's type, since taste is linked to smell.
Highly carbonated which leaves a nice thick head. And linger on the glass like sticky lip gloss.
Not so much of a session beer. It has a high ABV, so too high would be hard on the palate, however the taste is not too cloying; which would make it hard to get overindulgent easily. But just wait till your wife starts yelling at you to do the dishes.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a chalice.

A - Beer pours a well-carbonated murky orangish color with a nice (and lasting) snow white head.

S - Belgian yeast, fruits, and a bit of citris. I bit of sour apple is also present.

T - Boozy grapes, banans and spices. A little grassy at the finish, which is not unpleasant. Normally I don't favor beers that stick their abv right out there like this one does, but it blends well with the background flavors making a good tasting beer.

M - Meduim and maybe a tad over carbonated.

D - Good stuff, though I don't agree with the Tripel designation. I drinks like a Belgian Strong Pale, but whatever.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours golden in color with a white head and strong lacing. Very active carbonation.

The aroma has a bit of spicy character to it but I'm not picking up the normal fruity apple aroma that I get from a tripel.

This is a very drinkable tripel. There is just enough spice and hop character and not too much fruitiness to it. Very dry. Goes down without the usual warmth of a high abv brew. Nothing overpowering about it at all.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours with a lightly hazy, straw-tinged, yet full gold color that is topped by a frothy, largish bubbled, initially three-finger thick, off-white colored head. The aroma is pleasantly fruity; a mix of tart plum, green apple, fragrant flowers and even a touch of musty earthiness. Citrus like aromatic notes make me think of lemon and orange zest; in fact the orange aromatics are quite present.

The beer has a zesty carbonation to it that provides an immediate prickly sensation as soon as it hits my mouth. It has a certain fullness to it, yet is definitely pretty light, and definitely easy drinking. Sweet grain notes accentuate an orange peel flavor that makes itself known throughout the flavor profile, though it does not linger on in the finish. Spicy notes of white pepper, and perhaps a note of astringent ginger mix with the carbonation to provide a sharp counter point to the malt and citrus notes. The beer finishes with a nice bitterness and a continued herbaceous astringency.

This beer is quite nice, I had written off this series of beers after trying the Angelique, but this has certainly restored my faith in these brews. Someone mentioned that there was a touch of Brettanomyces beer used in making this. I am not entirely sure this is the case yet, but this does have a touch of musty, lightly funky character that adds to the overall complexity of this brew. This is a really nice brew, selling for a great price at my local Trader Joe's; I just may have to pick up a couple more.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Well-bubbled brilliant gold beneath a monsterous head of aged ivory that filled nearly the entire glass after a standard pour. The cap is all kinds of sticky and is leaving gooey remnants of lace on the upper reaches of the glass. A second pour results in an even rockier, more dishelveled look. On the strength of the head alone, this one gets a big number.

Although it doesn't blow me away, the aroma is very nice. Pale malt stays in the shadows while fruit and spice shine. Diabolique is tangily fruity (pears, apples) as well as white pepper, cardamom and clove spicy. I'd like a little more verve and a little more definition, but all in all, I'll take it.

Like the nose, I'm not tempted to the describe the flavor as more than good. I'm amazed at how many good tripels are being brewed. Or maybe it's simply that this is my favorite Belgian style and, like IPAs, I tend to give them a great deal more leeway and a large benefit of the doubt. No question though, this is solid beer.

Diabolique isn't as fruity as some tripels, or as spicy, yet there's very little shortage of flavor. Dessicated lemon zest, Granny Smith apples and snappily tart, unripe pears swim in a white pepper and clove-flecked, light candi sugar syrup. Despite that description, I find myself reaching for a bit more complexity and coming up empty (the biggest reason why the taste score is in no danger of being nudged upwards as I drink). To be fair, the flavor improves with each passing ounce, especially in the bottom of the bottle.

Tripels, more than most styles, tend to vary widely in terms of sweet versus bitter-dry. This beer favors the former, but isn't far from the middle of that continuum. Even though the 8.5% is masked fairly well, a few more months in the bottle might tone things down that last little bit in terms of an alcohol presence on the palate. I'm noticing that the other flavors fade just prior to the finish, allowing a medicinal ethanol flavor to get a toe in the door. A minor complaint, but still...

I wish the mouthfeel would make up its mind between full-sticky and light-airy. It's somewhere in the middle and, therefore, feels uncommitted. The generous, and still vigorous, carbonation is right about where it should be.

De Proefbrouwerij may have been trying to capitalize on the popularity of Duvel when they gave Diabolique its name and its colors. In any case, this is a fine example of the tripel style that, nevertheless, doesn't have quite enough personality or distinctiveness to be counted among the world's best. It's still tasty stuff though.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle but with a red background label instead of the white show here in the picture. I poured mine into a snifter glass. It appears they are reaching for a Duvel attitude here.

This is a pretty solid looking tripel: the expected gold color with vigorous carbonation and a nice 1.5 in. head of briliant white that retained in craggy islands and blips foam as I drank the glass. Thin lacing hung from the inside of the glass. The beer's nose lacked the complexity and spiciness I've come to expect: kind of direct and straight maltiness. The beer itself was light bodied and refreshing in some manner, while having a malty sweetness and a dry alcohol finish. The finish was nicely spiced and well rounded with a dry, alcohol flavored aftertaste. The drinkability was decent, I finished most the bottle by myself, but I would be tempted to reach for a St. Bernardous or Hoblen Chouffe before it. Although, the amazing price I purchased this bottle for - at a Fred Meyer in Salem, OR - was phenomal: $5.59. Still a slightly undistinguished brew.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Woo freakin hoo...review # 600 here!

I agree with the sentiment that this is modeled after Duvel, down to the shape of the 12 oz. bottle, devilish reference, and overall flavor profile. Not quite there yet, but what we have is an excellent tripel unique in it's own right.

An aggressive pour into my Duvel tulip reveals a murky peach colored brew with a frothy 2 fingers of pure white head. It settles quicky, depositing plenty of thick lace as it goes. In a contest of appearances, Duvel wins by a landslide.

Aroma is a remarked improvement over the appearance. Honey drizzled spice cake with cool pinapple, mango, and green apple fruit mingled with dry, spicey yeast and faint nuances of white pepper and clove. Actually a very nice nose overall.

Flavor is thankfully on par, dry tropical fruit and pinapple with a touch of oak is shadowed by a zesty citrus tingle with overatures of cotton candy and powdered white grape Kool-Aid. Finish has a very mild note of earthy hops and some lingering cool fruit. Not very complex, but very approachable and tastey. This is 8.5%, coulda' fooled me.

Body is medium, lively, and spritzy. It has a clean, crisp mouthfeel and fluffy, effervescent texture. Definately the best of the Cuvee Andelot releases.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Let's make no bones about this, this is clearly marketed to compete with Duvel. But in redemption of that, it's pretty damned good! It's not quite as refined, and there's more yeast character to it, but without tasting it side by side I'd say it's in the ballpark.

That said, it pours a mostly clear yellow-gold body with an orange cast beneath a full head of bright white that holds well and leaves some very nice lace about the glass. The head retention could be better, but it's certainly good. Slightly harsh. A bit of alcohol becomes apparent as it warms.

The nose is full and tempting, displaying a candyish malt with notes of subtle vanilla and wood.

The flavor is rich and full without overwhelming the palate. It starts with yeast and a touch of sulphur hitting the nose, followed immediately by the first actual contact of beer on tongue revealing a combination of fruit (pineapple, subtle grapefruit) and candyish malt.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

750 ml bottle, caged & corked. Got a nice solid "pop" when I pulled the cork. Poured into Westmalle trappist chalice.

This pours a very clear golden straw color, perfect white head, and plenty of caorbonation present. As the head slightly fades lacing is quite evident all around.

Aroma is belgian yeast, grains, some mild spices, and sweet fruit like Pineapple and Tangereine possibly...

Very smooth, creamy mouthfeel, somewhat dry. A bit sweet for my taste, but this style usually is. It is a pretty easy drinker for 8.5%. Overall, fairly enjoyable, and not overly complex.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a near-crystal clear yellow, with a constant stream of bubbles from the etching on the bottom of the tulip glass. A white head forms very quickly, but fades almost as quickly, leaving just a ring. Good lacing.

Smell is peaches and brown sugar. Sweet, but not overly so.

Taste is of pears, mandarin oranges, and raisins. Not quite cloying, and very heavily carbonated. Almost harsh on the tongue from carbonation, but with a vigorous pour, enough is released to make it just right.

If it wasn't for the alcohol, I'd probably drink a second 750mL of this stuff. A nice light dessert beer, would go well with pasty or pie.

3.98/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear pale straw with an white and extremely frothy head which rose very tall and fell slowly to coat the glass from top to bottom.

The aroma was fruity with a spicy phenolic character of pepper. The fruits were citrus and pineapple with a definite wheat character presence.

The flavor was light with a estery fruit profile of pineapple and a phenolic charcacter with pepper. The flavor was light and fruity and also contained a citrus presence and a moderate bittering.

The finish was dry with a lasting fruity presence and light spice into the aftertaste. The body was just below medium and the carbonation level made for a creamy mouthfeel. The beer was easily drinkable, but not overly complex. No alcohol was present in the flavor, aroma or warming after consumption, so this beer, at 8.5%, might be one to tread on lightly.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle.

3.31/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: 750 ml bottle that is corked and caged. Orange golden color with a frothy white head and great retention.

Smell: Fluffy floral aroma with a malty spiciness. Very refreshing aromas.

Taste: Metallic, malty, sweet, spicy. Floral undertones with a refreshing burst of clean watery and malty flavor. Some mild corriander and clove spicings bring the distinct Belgian flavor. Otherwise it is uneventful.

Mouthfeel: Sandy, sticky, decent.

Drinkability: Bready and sweet. The taste is rather unimpressive when compared with the nose. Decent but not spectacular.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Andelot Cuvee Diabolique from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)
Beer rating: 80.3% out of 100 with 71 ratings