Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

De Proef Flemish Primitive Wild Ale (Surly Bird) | De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

De Proef Flemish Primitive Wild Ale (Surly Bird)De Proef Flemish Primitive Wild Ale (Surly Bird)
3.91/5
Very Good

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)
proefbrouwerij.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 06-14-2005

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks great in a glass. A little darker than pale yellow. Big white creamy head, Big time carbonation. Plenty of sediment.
Smells like a big old sour with a sweet touch.
Taste seems to be missing something, That sour smell isn't there in the taste . The alcohol is completely hidden. The funkiness is there all throughout.
Very light almost champagne like lost of bubbles.
I guess I expected a little more wild in the wild ale. Not bad though.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

Pale yellow, slight head, some small bubbles. Smell is AMAZING! Cloves, other spices, fruit- first smell is the best. Taste is somewhat of a let down- still good, but does not live up to my impression of the smell. Lots of funk, very slightly sour. Almost medicinal. Enjoyable, complex, and weird. Very slightly sour. Allot to think about. I like this, but cannot help but be let down by the amazing first smell.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%

Bomber bottle. No date shown. Purchased in ND.

This has to be my favorite wild ale. However, this is the only version of Flemish Primitive that I can get my hands on; would love to try the rest of them.

In my experience, you have to let the ale warm up a bit, and swirl it around to release the carbonation, in order to get the best characteristics. I taste and smell lots of brettanomyces, including leather and some musty tropical fruits. There are both dry hay and fresh grass sensations. Like many wild ales, I pick up an undertone of what I can only describe as green olive or green olive juice. All of these smells and flavors are on a foundation of either Kix or Honeycomb cereal. I can't determine if this is caused primarily by the malt bill or if it is a combination of malt, hops, and yeast.
Even though the beer is amazing to drink, my favorite part is smelling the inside of my glass after taking the last sip. This is what dreams are made of, kids.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

De Proef Flemish Primitive Wild Ale (Surly Bird) from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)