Zoetzuur Flemish Ale | De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Zoetzuur Flemish AleZoetzuur Flemish Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)
proefbrouwerij.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by marburg on 11-15-2004

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.19/5  rDev -19%

Pour is ruby red orange, nice head and lacing that persists. Great looking beer.
Smell: Candy cherries, not particularly funky, tart or sour
Taste: I get sweet black cherries, very fresh tasting, and not much else. Too sweet. I wonder if they have changed from some of the older bottles because I get no funk at all, it tastes pasteurized.
Mouthfeel: Nice lively creamy mouthfeel.
Drinkability: I didn't finish the bottle, this was just a little one dimensional.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

750 ml bottle purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $9.99. I hadn't heard of this beer before I bought it, but when I saw the style, I knew I had to have at least one. FYI, the BA header says this is 8.5% ABV; the bottle says 7%.

Pours a flat reddish brown, quite transparent, with an off-white bubbly head that sits very nicely in my St. Bernardus chalice. Quite attractive.

Aroma- boy, this is why I broadened my beer horizons. Woody, sour cherry, organic aromas, perhaps a touch of lemon citrus zest, but also a sweet hint too. This is a wonderful smell.

Flavor- the first sip was quite a shock. I was prepared for this Duchesse-like sweet-sour dance, but at first, it just rushed down my throat in a tart pucker. My initial reaction was not good. But after a few swallows, the fruitiness really opens up, as partly ripened raspberries fight with black cherries and sour citrus. This is good stuff.

My one reservation about this is that the sourness outweighs the sweetness so it's not as balanced as I would like. But this is really a minor quibble. I really like this beer. (Of course the best part is watching my finacee pucker up after she tried it!).

Highly drinkable. Creaminess in the mouthfeel keeps it from being overpowering. Recommended.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Shawn Dunn for this one!

750mL brown glass fake-cork finished. No date.

Appearance: A medium reddish brown with thin bone-white head.

Nose: Cherry skins, raw beef, leafy veg, plum.

Palate: Low carbonation, moderately tart (not sour) up front, but swings to slightly sweet with flavors of dried berries and dates. There's a brightness that comes from that "redeeming" sweetness. Lots of sweet and sour cherry notes. Medium-length finish shows a little, tiny, inkling really of that "funky" texture.

Notes: A nice, very drinkable "sour" beer. The texture is smooth and round, not overly funky, not really sour, just tart. Nicely made, not great. Might drink again if the chance arises.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet, not quite sure the bottled date, there might be a coded bottle date on the bottle (maybe bottled 5/12?).

This pours a hazy, slighty yeast dregs tea brown with a small short lived tan head which doesn't leave a lacing. The smells are slighly funky, a nice mixture of sweet cherries and barnyard funk from brett, a slight vinegar smell. The feel is medium, okay carbonination. The taste is slightly sweet up front followed by a very strong earthy funky brett taste, with a little bit of sourness, more of a sweet and funk than a sweet and sour, nice though.

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Hazy pale reddish brown brew. A sizable tan head and a good amounts of lacing.

S - Intense sour cherries, a little malty, a flash of hops as well.

T - Sour cherries, a little malty, aftertaste is slightly bitter with a faint hidden medicinal flavor. Not a terribly intense medicinal flavor.

M - A bit foamy, seems thin, but there is a thickness, maybe from the foam only. Pretty refreshing.

D - It is a refreshing beverage. Strong for a Flanders red. I like the flavor and I love the smell. DEfinitely worth seeking out. This brewery has impressed me. I will definitely look for more beers from them. Although I do love Flanders red ales.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

a: Hazy orange/brown body with a cream colored head.

s: Big sour cherry notes.

t: A surprise here: the aroma is cherry, but the flavor is sour apple and peach, odd. More sweet than sour, but still plenty of mouth-puckering goodness to provide some "balance."

m: A wonderful, lightly astringent pucker.

d: I've said it before, I'll say it again: I love sour beers.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a nice red with hint of brown around the edges. Cloudy with backlighting. Nice 1/2 inch white head with good retention and excellent sticky lacing (clings to the glass forever).
S: Perfectly balanced sweet and sour notes. Cherry, sour lemon, brettanomyces and other yeast.
T: Sweet cherry, sour lemon, fresh yeast, creamy milk, apple cider vinegar, soft oak, and other fruit notes. Again, perfectly balanced sweet and sour.
M: Soft and silky smooth upfront. Transitions to a sour bite which lingers and gradually diminishes.
D: Oh, sweet nectar of the gods. The definition of drinkability. Complex enough to keep your interest through the entire bottle and yet light enough (ABV 7%) to make it sessionable. Another simply wonderful brew from The Prof.

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

25oz into Dupont widemouth glass.

Murky, cloudy brown body with just a faint off-white film. Quite still.

Aromas are great - lots of sweetness, with notes of brown sugar, cinnamon, candied cherries, and a fair amount of spice. Decent amount of red wine vinegar in the finish.

Flavors unfortunately end up being a bit of a disappointment after that aroma. Dull, overripened dark fruits - plum primarily. Lots of sweetness from the aroma, and has a fair amount of earth/dirt and funk. Gym sneakers come through as it warms. Could've used a bit more vinegar quality.

Mouthfeel is pretty dull, but not off the mark. No carbonation, and just a slight pull on the palate.

Overall, this one was a bit too sweet for my liking, but is a decent representation of the style.

3.22/5  rDev -18.3%

750ml bottle

Pours a red/brown color with a small off white head. I get alot of strawberry and a port-like sweetness on the nose, a slight acidity and a light sour twang. Round, sweet with a sour/bitter finish, rich cherry candy sweetness. A dessert sipper possibly, a bit too rich for my tastes although the beer is pretty medium in body. I probably wont finish this bottle or the other 5 i somehow came into along the road, another strange brew from De Proef..

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1.92/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Avoiding the complex review. This is unique as hell to be a flanders red. I get dark cherries, apples, and cider backed by an over carbonated carbonation burst. It doesn't sounds good, but to be honest it's rather refreshing and fruit in a pretty good way. Just don't expect puckering sour or over the top vinegar notes like some of the better flanders do.

I feel less good at this beer review stuff seeing as how the bottle tells me it was made with cherries. Oh well. Spices are subtle but there.

This is an ok beer, and given the reasonable price I don't knock it, but it doesn't really meet the style expectations and it is ok not great. 13 bucks for this bottle, not awful given it is a sour.

My final score adjust slightly for the style where this is just below average and I had to score it as such. Still I enjoyed it but who doesn't enjoy a beer that isn't awful?

As I drink more the sweetness is over the top and the aroma just doesn't entice me. It has some good flavors and I recommend a SMALL tasting of this one.

Edit 2.

This is going down the drain. It has some nice flavors mixed in with just not good ones. It honestly is impossible to get past 10 oz of this which means a full 16 oz pour is going down the drain. I'd worry about an old bottle but this style shouldn't be hurt by some age. Sorry but apples and cherry a great ideas in a sour, but it has to be sour. This isn't sour. It isn't good.

4.57/5  rDev +16%

My wife and I picked apples a few weeks ago, and being late in the season with so much rain, the apples were particularly good. Some of the varieties were so deep in color they were a regal burgandy that bordered on pushing into indigo. The apples knocked from the branches were turning this sickly shade of brown. And that's *exactly* the color of this beer -- a deeply muddied red.

Tart, chopped Michigan cherries and soggy sweet wood in the nose. Subtle hints of chocolate and an obvious sour-ish "brettanomyces" kick.

The flavors begin with a certain sweetness -- fruity, plum-like, and a bit thin up front. A drier sourness encompasses the mid-palate, which is efficiently swept away by a lasting finish driven by the flavor of chomped leaves and pine needles. Remarkably farmhouse-like in its narrowly focused bitterness.

A well-rounded, all-encompassing Flemish ale. While in a natural sort of spirit, it's a far cry from the lactic nature of even Rodenbach Grand Cru and an even further stretch to compare this to its sweetened cousins from other brewers. The more restrained acidity is a bit disappointing to me personally, but this is an intriguing beer that's well worth wading through -- it really grew on me through the end of the bottle. I've got a few more bottles, so we'll see what I think of it over time. But for now, chalk this up as a fun, somewhat unconventional success.

Zoetzuur Flemish Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)