Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale | De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse AleSaison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)
proefbrouwerij.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewmaster's Collection - Special Reserve
Mixed Fermentation - Saison De Flandres

Added by clickpush on 05-04-2006

3.04/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 750 into my Duvel tulip. Darker than other Saisons I've had, an amber to brown color with lively carbonation and a one finger head. Some minimal lacing down the glass.
Smell was funky, sweaty, almost sour.
Taste was similar; dry but musty and funky. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but not horrible either.
Mouthfeel was good due to the carbonation.
Drinkability was decent smoothness-wise, but not a favorite taste for me. I wouldn't buy it again, but I'm sure there are those (Fantome fans) that would like it.

3.81/5  rDev 0%

A- Nice deep brown hue, good head

S- Smell of funk and alcohol. Got a sweaty sock smell.

T- Lots of flavor. Slight sour and funk. Dark fruits. Tripel like sugar flavors. Caramel and biscuit. Lots of malt very ,little hops. Dark rum raisin alcohol. There is a lot going on in this beer.

M- A little thick and definatley heavy.

D- This isnt for everyone, its drinkable but for a small group.

Is this beer a saison or a belgian strong ale? I know its called 'imperale' but this isnt very close to 'normal' saisons. Too heavy, too thick not as light on the palate as it should be. However, this is a good beer with good flavors ! I like it , just not as a saison. It definitely strays from the norm. If you go into this beer thinking 'saison' you might be disappointed, but if you have no preconceptions, you will be okay. Definitely worth trying but if your looking for a true saison, this isnt the beer you want.

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured a corked and caged 750 into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer is remarkably dark for a saison. The color reminds me of a dried cherries, dark brown with red-amber hues when held to the light. The head is a massive beige explosion that leaves sticky lacing as it recedes down the glass. While it says it's an imperial saison it is still a rather odd color. The aroma is caramel malt. Huge toffee and caramel notes drown out any expectations of spices, apples, or funkiness. The flavor is fairly similar with caramel dominating the flavor profile. Dark, ripe plums, apple skins and just a slight bit of brett funk, peak out of the flavor profile but it's just not as dominant as I would have liked it to have been. Also this beer has very little spice to it. I would have expected some cardamom, pepper, or a yeasty spice but nothing. The mouthfeel is chewy. Full and carbonated. This beer reminds me of the antithesis of what a Saison is supposed to be. It's big and full and honestly not nearly as refreshing as most saisons are. I know the trend it to "imperialize" all beers, but maybe Saisons are just better left alone.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a surprisingly dark amber color with a typically huge, fluffy saison-esque head. Just like the color of the brew, the foam is very dark for the style...I dont remember it being so dark last time I had a bottle. Excellent mountainous retention and sticky lacing.

Nose is mostly sweet base malts, alcohol and a bit of saison funk, but not enough for me.

Boozy malts and woody Belgian funk are foremost in the flavor. For me, this beer does not taste very saison-like, but it is an enjoyable beer nonetheless. Maybe more like a Belgian Strong Dark ale blended with a Farmhouse ale. Toffee malts give it an earthy funk enhancer, while the grainy malts remind me more of a kolsch. Alcohol is a bit much as well. Overall, it tastes good, but DeProef has better beers out there.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark, very murky amber with hints of red on the edges. A tan two-finger head fizzles out quickly with a few various sized spots of lacing left behind. Aroma is very sour, tart and vegetal up front with dark fruits lying in waiting underneath. Kind of smells like damp hay sitting in a barn, all musty but inviting like a mid-afternoon lay by a Belgian farm girl who might be a few pounds overweight. Maybe there was some manure in the aroma as well, but who gives a flip, it's a farmhouse ale right? I guess what I'm saying is the shit is authentic smelling. Just make sure you stay away from the back door of the barn.

Taste is complex and very fruity (prunes, grapes, figs, sour apples ) with beer bread and tangy yeast thrown in and some earthy graininess and spice at the end. The alcohol is fairly well hidden, but if you go looking for it, you will find it. Mouth-feel is creamy, soft and almost chewy going down, which makes sense, because beer is food, and if you lived a subsistence lifestyle this would be a great way to get nourishment. Hell yeah, this farmhouse lifestyle is looking very tempting, so I say screw the whales, save the Farmhouse Ales.

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

750 ml bottle sealed with cork-in-cage; a freebie courtesy of BA Cindirene... muchas gracias, Chuck!

The bottle disgorges the cork with a hefty poof! and a whiff of fruity funkinesss registers briefly on my olfactory radar. Poured into my Duvel tulip, Saison Imperiale is cherry-tinted amber with a bit of haze and a huge cap of creamy orange-stained ivory foam. As the head deflates into a convoluted, misshapen mass, sticky gobs of webby lacing coat the curvy inner wall of my glass.

The aroma is tart, perhaps even to the point of sushi vinegar acidity, with a just a spritz of juicy citrus and floral fruit to sweeten things up. The brew is increasingly aromatic and more sweetly floral as the encounter continues.

The taste is a complementary melange of crisp and tangy with a dry, citrusy zip, but is also quite mild, mellow-sweet, and toasted-malty at its core. The same floral character from aroma appears in the flavor profile as well, assisting the drink in maintaining balance between grainy-sugary and lightly-funky twang. Any alcohol flavor is mildly fruity, complementary, and otherwise very well-hidden. Late into the bottle, a splash of dilute pear juice freshens the drink, along with a succulent bit of caramel that fits right in. A grassy hop flavor occupies the finish and a bit of a steely mineral note lingers in the aftertaste.

The drink is crisp and well-carbonated with a solid medium body. The brew is quite quaffable despite the beefy ABV. Good stuff, and it was definitely the right price! Thanks again, Chuck!

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Dark hazelnut brown in the glass. Lots of floaters. A good thing.

Brown sugar, yeast, belgian soil?, caramelized something or another on the nose. Lots of sweetness.

Taste: sour maltiness, rock candy and all sorts of flavors that I cant really put a name to.

Mouthfeel is medium, nice finish, lots of malts on this one, not nearly as big tasting as the ABV may indicate.

This is my first Imperial Saison and I am not sure of what to say about it. I enjoyed it, but cannot say I'd go back or not.

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

A - Pours a light brown color with a very large off-white head. Interesting look for a saison, much darker than the rest of the offerings in the style.

S - Tart sour apples, heavy malt and some yeast.

T - The tart apple flavors are the first thing I notice. The malt and yeast flavors are rather bland and not what I would expect from a saison. Alcohol is noticeable in the finish.

M - Highly carbonated but quite thin.

D - Not bad, but I am not sure if I would purchase this again with the number of quality saisons available.

2.64/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance - Almost the color of cherry oak, which is a little dark for a saison. Looking like an impostor and not true to style will cost it a fair amount of points.. Pretty nice off white head, which stood up for quite some time and left it's mark around the glass.

Smell - Sweet cherry with a sour breath to it, almost like a flemish red. Sour, most definitely sour, with a fruity aroma to it; most likely banana. Very pungent, while not bad, not very saison like.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Really mellow with a thick creamy malt. Has a lot of sour fruit to it, and a little bit of a belgian quad type taste. Loads and loads of dark fruit are thrown in and have a candied taste to them. Have no idea what they're trying to pull off here? Medium mouthfeel is coating, but not really interested in what it's coating my mouth with.

Drinkability - This beer has no identity whatsoever. Don't know how or why this beer came to be, and don't really care.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks go out to glid02 for sending this brew my way.

A = A nice amber color with a generous white head. Thick lacing around the sides.

S = Lots of fruitiness. Some pear, apple, and some slight sour cherry.

T = This is pretty complex. i taste pears, some slight apple, and sour cherry taste. It comes through sweet in the end with some orange zest and a bit of spice with coriander. Very interesting and complex.

M = Kinda heavy and creamy with low carbonation

D = This is pretty interesting. It's worth a shot if you see it in the store or the bar. It's something that's a little different. Thanks again to glid02 for another tasty hook up!

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a murky light brown with orange highlights. Dark and murky for a saison. A huge tan head falls to a cap.

Aroma is sweet, caramel, bananas. Something in there is almost acrid. A hint of spices.

Taste is again, very sweet for a saison. Bruised bananas, caramel, almost rum like. No real tart or musty notes, but an alcoholic spiceness which dominates the finish.

Medium body with soft creamy carbonation. Dry finish.

This only way in which this resembles the other saisons I've tried is in the dry finish. This is more like the bastard child of a weizenbock and saison.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

Presentation: Poured two beers from 750ml bottle to my Duvel tulip over about a 3 hour period.

Appearance: This beer pours a 1 finger head that recedes quickly, but leaves a LOT of lacing on the glass regardless of temperature. Very pretty brown/red almost rusty orange color that is completely opaque and darker than I expected. The second beer I poured of course was completely saturated with yeasty floaters throughout. I don't mind this and actually like the taste of the yeast in my beer.

S: Extremely funky barnyard smells here, horseblanket, and even detected what smelled like urine to me a couple of times. The smell does change throughout. I am not completely offended though as I do keep smelling it repeatedly, and sometimes a dark fruit aroma comes through which is good. There must be some Brett yeast in this beer. Oaky and earthy as well. I didn't care for the smell, and my wife absolutely hated it.

T: The taste was quite a bit better than the smell. Lots of sour tastes, some sweetness, and definite bitterness was there. I felt that the sour was nicely muted by some of the fruit flavors, but not enough to counteract some of the funkiness and sour that was going on here. More sweetness would have balanced this out and made this beer far better. The one fruit I do taste is sour green grapes. When I bought it I expected less earthy sourness, and less color as well. Maybe some caramel in the first notes of tasting as well. The bitter aftertaste lasted longer than almost any beer I've ever had, and I did find myself appreciating that particular quality.

M: Creamy, extremely carbonated in a great way. My wife said the one thing she liked about this beer was its carbonation, and I couldn't agree more.

D: I had some issues drinking a full 750ml of this. I might try it again, but I think I'd really rather only have 8-10oz of this at a time. It took me probably 3 hours to drink a 750ml which is pretty slow for me.

Overall I was surprised by how dark, unfruity, and funky this beer was. I suspect some Brett yeast was used and can be attributed to these qualities in the beer. I doubt I would buy it again in a 750ml format, but I might try it again just to see if some fruitiness comes through more for me a second time. That would make this beer far better. I don't mind funk when it is properly balanced, this one just wasn't.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

750ml bottle poured into tulips.

A = Opaque amber, small yellowish head which resolves quickly into thin layer of foam on surface.

S = Overripe pears, orange zest, some slight general barnyard funk.

T = Pears, maple syrup, apricots, fresh vanilla beans, slightly smokey quality, quite complex but not at all what I expect from a Saison, has some Scotch ale or English barleywine aspects.

M = Medium-heavy to heavy body, luscious creamy feel but surprisingly light mouthcoating for the body, would have been an almost perfect mouthfeel but for that.

D = I like this beer and enjoy drinking it, but one glass is enough.

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: cloudy amber in color with a 1" head. No lacing develops.

Smell: loads of fruit and some farmhouse funk rise from the glass.

Taste: apples, pears, green grapes, somne caramel, touch of sourness, some mild funkiness, and a soft bitterness make up a different kind of saison than one expects.

Mouthfeel: lightly crsip throughout. Medium bodied. Aftertaste is short as the fruitiness comes through the most.

Drinkability: this one is more of a slow sipping saison. Definitely worth grabbing a bottle of this.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours an opaque amber/brown color. A large beige head of over two fingers forms. As the rocky, and frothy head recedes, rings of sticky lace are left.
S: Like all De Proef beers, a great medley of fruits. Lots of dark fruits of plums, raisins, melons, ect. That lovely barnyard funk that I love so much for the style as well.
T: At first a big caramel and sugary malt flavor. A bit odd for a Saison. A good fruitiness that follows the nose. Not as much of a barnyard flavor as I was expecting though. Still, the flavors work well together.
M/D: A full body that is low on the carbonation, which is a bit out of style. Though I love the rich creaminess that I don't get much of with Saison's. At well over 8%, this is so smooth and easy to drink. If I am not careful, I can do more than sip on this.

I love this beer. I am not sure I would call this a Saison though. Maybe a Belgian Strong Ale? I guess that is why it is Saison Imperial. A new style perhaps? What ever you want to call, it is very tasty. Something I would highly recommend.

Out of a 750ml corked and caged bottle. Pours a mud puddle brown color, plenty murky, with a nice semi dense head that left some lacing on the side of the glass. The aroma is of plums and raisins, some light nutmeg, flowery perfume, and brown sugar. Quite different saison aroma than I am use to. The taste of raisins and what I will call bitter figs are forefront and strong. Brown sugar runs throughout and is complimented by some bark spices. The Saison Imperiale is to saisons what BSDAs are to BSPAs, if that makes any sense. Significant malt body is fizzy carbonation; sweet & spicy, finishes a bit bitter. Quite the different saison. Pronounced aroma and flavor, I just not positive I am digging the flavor, at least not in a saison sort of way. Definitely worth a try as I haven't had a brew like this one before.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

A: pours a rather opaque tawny color. great thick head, slightly tan head/ great retention rate and solid lacing.

S: aromas of cinnamon and nutmeg, wonderful fall fruits, apples, green raisins and dates. nice funk in the aroma.

T: green raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon, some serious fall fruits, apples and pears. very funky. some alcohol notes. I also get some blueberry notes.

M: very well balanced ale, smooth and creamy mouth feel, slight alcohol burn. good mellow carbonation level.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

750 ml bottle (corked & caged), poured into a pilsener glass.

A forceful "thwup" from the cork lets me know that good things are in store. The appearance is a bit darker than most Saison's I come across, but the clear, amber-russet body is attractive. A lively carbonation level fuels a well-retained cap of finely sorted, creme-colored foam. The aroma starts off almost like a good lambic with some vinegar and sour notes, but lurking below the surface is the signature "horse blanket" saison boquet. Notes of peat, dark spices, and charred wood present as well.

Wow...MUCH different flavor than I was expecting. Gone are the sour notes, as an influx of rich, caramel malt balances nicely with a spicy, floral hop bitterness. Lots of horse blanket funk and wood on the finish, outshining the softly carbonated, medium mouthfeel. A subtle hint of whiskey-like booze is all the 8.5% ABV lets on. Body is a bit on the watery side, and I was looking for a little more bubbliness given the appearance, but that's okay. All in all, I thought this was an above average-saison with lots of complexity. Would I have it again? You bet.

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Very clouded dark brown/orange color. Poured a 3 finger vigorous tan head that dissipated to a thick even skim of foam. Gobs of lacing slowly washed in fingers down the glass. Decanted continually

S: Wild yeast funk. All kinds of sweet and sour fruits and berries. Wet grains and damp wood in the backgrond.

T: Similar in aroma; big dark fruit and berries. Caramel, candied malt come through stronger with damp wood as their base.

M: Medium body. Ample carbonation. Sour feel with lingeringly sweet/dry champagne finish

D: Not well-versed in the style, but very interesting taste and consistent with the few other saisons I've had.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a deep red color, almost brown. Smells like pepper and fruit. Has a reasonably thin mouthfeel, which is actually appreciated in this brew. Taste is exceptional. It's peppery, spicy, a little fruity, but the saison yeast is very well balanced and actually a little subdued.

Rather impressed. I wonder how this cellars, because I really would like to keep a few bottles for shits and giggles.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Cloudy amber color with a white head, minimal lacing. Pungent aroma that initially reminds me of grape soda. Its a funky yeasty aroma. Earthy. A hint of animal feed and hay. Vaguely reminds me of XXX De Ranke Bitter. A bit spicey, like a spiced winter ale, cinnamon notes perhaps. The palate is has an earthy, yeasty tartness. Very tasty. Mouthfeel is as it should be for the style. Light and refreshing. This is a saison that makes much more of a statement that DuPont, Hennepin or Forte. Though it seems a bit off-style, I truly enjoy this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

This one has recently became available in Texas so I thought that I would pick one up for review. I really like Saison's so let's see how this one stands up. I like mine pretty funky, and typically this brewer has used reserved funk...let's see...

Appearance: Pours a pretty murky dark orange color with a thick head of tan bubbles that was about 3/8" thick after a pretty reserved pour, and it was still at least 1/8" a couple minutes after the pour. The head look really nice. Even after about 30 minutes, the beer doesn't realy clarify...but there is still a solid foam standing on top of the beer, so that is impressive. There is some thin lace left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: Amazingly enough, the aroma was pretty reserved for this style. I get some candy sweetness with a little bit of a fruit...like passion fruit...interesting. There is a little bit of woodiness and leather that I am hoping develops as the beer warms. The beer is cold right now and pretty full in my tulip glass. <Pause> After the beer warms up some, the Brettanomyces is really coming out. It is giving the beer a really earthy aroma which is pretty nice, but doesn't remind me much of a Saison.

Taste: I am really anxious for this beer to warm up some. Right now, as a cold and fresh beer, all it has it mouthfeel. You get a bit of sweetness in the beginning, and then it gets fizzy on the tongue which confuses you until after you have swallowed...then you just get some dryness on the back of the throat and a subtle warming that sets in a couple seconds later. As the beer sits, I can pick it up more, and it really seems like he didn't use the Saison style yeast at all, but instead made up for it with a typical Belgian yeast and maybe some Brettanomyces. The leather from the Brett is definitely becoming more noticeable as it warms, but I don't get the Saison spiciness that you would expect.

Opinion: Well, I would not get my hopes up in having a Saison when you drink this beer. I would put it more in the classification of the Belgian Pale Ale category. If it were there, it would be a really nice beer. Actually it is a bit like Orval, so if you like that beer...this would be good. I have been more impressed with other offerings from this brewery, but this beer is still no slouch. I will certainly drink it all, but I will be telling myself that it is Orval's cousin and not a Saison.

3.77/5  rDev -1%

A - Cloudy amber/birch beer look to it with a decent, khaki head that revives a bit with a swirl. Trace amount of lace.

S - Interesting toffee, booze, leather, peat and barnyard aromas. I like it - it's something different.

T - Toffee, alcohol, wet leather - tastes sort of like its aroma. I like it.

M - Nice citus-like fizz deftly balanced against a creamy blanket of ale that's not too heavy.

D - More than drinkable but my guess is that it would shine best when paired with food such as stew, BBQ ribs, etc.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

This is a very solid saison that straddles the line of beer definitions. It has some strong saison characteristics, but it certainly isn't the poster child for the genre.

It pours out surprisingly dark, mostly orange with a ruddish hazy tint. Quite a large tan head for a saison too. Nose is mild wild yeast and a gentle mix of light fruits, vaguely citrus, with subtle wet hay.

Taste is malty at first, with tinges of allspice, and a mish-mash of dark fruit flavors. Slightly nutty. It's complex, but the flavors overlap just a bit too much.

The mouthfeel is great. Perfect amount of carbonation. Appropriately dry. Nice drinkability.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

750mL with synthetic cork into Duvel glass. Purchased for 10 bucks from Spec's here in Austin a few weeks ago. Not much info on the bottle, but it does display "Brewmaster's Collection - Special Reserve" and "Mixed Fermentation - Saison de Flandres". After pouring I see the big, reflective "Brett bubbles" joined to one another that cling to the inside of the glass bottle.

A deep amber brown. Thick carbonation with lasting power.

Smells of a Flanders Oud Bruin. Smells of plum, dark cherries, and caramel sweetness, with a Brett funk, and some faint Saison barnyard flavours. Also a little spice - white pepper?

Caramel toffee and brown sugar, fig, then an immediate Brett sprizteryness, followed by a swelling sweetness that dominates the mid to end taste. Noticeable earthy hops too. Dry saison aftertaste with some spicy coriander and Brett. Complex and intermingling.

Mouthfeel is thick and slick. Enjoyable Brett burp that bring out the earthy hops.

More Brett and dark red wine characteristics as it warms at the end of the bottle.

Given the color, 8.5% alcohol, aroma, and flavours, I'd say this should not be in the "Saison" category. I can usually drink a lot of Saison with ease, but this is sweeter and I prolly should have split this bottle. However, I had no problem finishing it.

This kinda reminds me of a "Imperial Orval" or "Orval Extra". Alot of similar flavours but some more malt character, thicker, and sweeter here. It still seems fresh enough to perceive a decent hopping. This could definitely pass as a Oud Bruin or Biere de Garde.

I will try to buy another to age in the hopes that the Brett will come forth some more, and the coriander subsides.

12-07-2009 update: All the same flavours as in the review before, but now there is more Brett character. Lots of molded cherries, as well as plum, fig, and a variety of apples. The malt flavours have really melded together. Some nutty Dubbel flavours I didn't note on the previous tasting.
Wish i had some brie and fig spread on some sourdough. And some nutty earthy cheese, maybe some Bleu if it wasnt too strong.
Feels great, very slick and smooth. Pretty drinkable for 8.5%
If you like it crisper and spicier, try to get it fresh. If you like the funk and fruitiness, let it age. I've bumped up drinkability half a point. I look forward to having this in spring and fall, when the weather is ideal. I also love Brett...

07/24/2010: Not much to add except that I don't like it as much. Not as complex. Mostly sweet fig. Moving drinkability back down .5

Saison Imperiale - Belgian Farmhouse Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)