Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale | De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale
3.9/5
Very Good
Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)
proefbrouwerij.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAngel on 04-30-2003

4.5

750 purchased at the COOP... shared with a couple of righteous fellas..

Pours big... 3 finger foamy white head... hazy pale golden... pretty nice lace and retention is great.

Nose is earthy with dusty pale malts.. bits of brett funk... and lite lemon.

Flavor has all the nose elements with some Belgian lite fruits that still are pretty lite.. pear and hints of ripe apple.. the dank brett sorta is dull when colder but blossoms a bunch with warmth ... dirty wool... cobwebs... still pretty fruity with a bit of peach and there is something that makes me think this may be late/dry hopped in some shape or form.. hops are there.. grassy and mildly spicy...

Medium bodied with a great carbonation... the funk really grows with warmth.. but never gets overdone.. but Brett characteristics need time to bloom with this bottle.. I don't know about aging, but I bet it would be a neat experiment.

All 4's

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a huge four finger white foamy head. There is quite a bit of a soapy lacing. The odor for me is fruity, pear, apple, spices, pineapple, herbal, cooked fruits, wine like, peach, apricot, slightly floral. The taste for me is fruity, apple, pear, banana, spices, clove, coriander, bitter dry finish.

Picked up a bottle of this from halftime beverage for 5 bucks. Not bad for a sour pale ale.
A - Well I got a 1/4 inch of head that sticks around for a while atop of a very hazy bright yellow beer. Not as clear as I expected but no sediment.
S - When I first opened it I was greeted by a solid fruit character of peaches or Strawberries with a bit of grain but in the glass the Brett really makes it'self know. Not overly sour smelling but it seems just enough.
T - Hits the tongue with more of a lemon juice and sour Brett funk. Not as sour as you would think as it rolls with some fresh apricot and malty grain bill.
M - Well the ABV is there but to me it's very balanced. Not very profound but just enough to carry the sour and earthy flavors of the beer.

Overall these guys make one kick ass Saison with Brett characters and going into this with the same expectations I was not disappointed. A nice high octane Belgium pale ale with some Brett funk worth trying in my opinion.

Pours a hazy, honey-gold with a tight, sticky white head that sticks to the side of the glass. A deep whiff produces a nice potpourri of tart lemon notes and mustiness. Definitely has that brett funk to it. On the tongue, there's a sweet/sour citrus backbone with a peppery presence in the foreground. Lingering bitterness. Not as much of the mustiness as there is in the nose. Actually reminds me of a more tart Duvel. But I was hoping for something a little more tart and, shall we say, barnyardish. Still, very Belgian in the yeast. Crisp and spritely on the mouth. Complex enough and dry enough to be pretty high in the drinkability department, though I imagine a couple would be more than enough at its strength. Still very enjoyable and quenching.

This legendery cunning fox of a brew fell into my glass with a dirty golden colour and sprouted a spitty off white coloured head. It is mildly carbonated. The nose is fruity and sour. The fruitiness is one that I am unable to specify although white grape comes to mind. It has a definite malty sugar presence that reminds the reviewer of candy. The taste is quite satisfying. It sort of reminds the reviewer of a white wine in the finish. I guess it must be the white grape impression leading me that way. It is sweet and sour. A bit of spiciness is noted. The beer is juicy and dare I say refreshing in a spritzer type fashion. It has a modicum of dryness which may be due in large part to alcohol which remains otherwise undetectable upon my palate. The mouthfeel is light, but the sugary aspects make it feel substantial. It seems to coat my teeth as though I were eating hard candies or something. The drinkability is good. This beer has a much welcomed flavour and it livens up my night simply by the alien nature of it. I am enjoying this and I have no regrets in its purchase. It is a worthy milestone as a 250th review by myself. Pleasurable indeed.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into tulip glass, (there is a date on the cap 120612, so perhaps its best by that date or it was bottled 6/12/12, I bought it before December). This pours a slightly hazy yellow straw color with a large white head which has good retention. The smells are of a little funk, a hint of brett, but mostly apples, spices, cinnamon. The feel is medium, more high carbonination. The taste is pretty good, a little wild, you get the barnyard funk, and brett, a little fruit and some other malts and a nice dry finish.

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)