Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale | De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Reinaert Flemish Wild AleReinaert Flemish Wild Ale

De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAngel on 04-30-2003

Reviews: 313 | Ratings: 611
3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Hazy, golden blonde appearance with a white, froth-like rocky head. Lacing clings in disparate bands down the glass.

S: Definitely sour with notes of apple and lemon which is influenced by the wild yeast.

T&M: Starts sour and finishes hoppy with a hint of barley in between. As I continue this 750 the sourness fades and the hops come forth stronger. As previous reviewers have stated, there is a grass/hay/barley flavor throughout. A commendable effort in keeping the alcohol flavor in check, considering it's 9% ABV. Other ales approaching double-digit ABVs are not as capable of keeping this in check as this brew.

D: Not bad going down. Not terribly complex in my opinion. There is a lightness to this ale that would make it a decent session brew for the summer months.

Conclusion: This is an okay showing. I think the look and smell of this brew is more rewarding than the actual flavor. Sure you get a good shot of "Brett" yeast, but there are more complex and interesting offerings out there. I'd suggest Brewery Ommegang's "Ommegeddon" as a more interesting alternative to this.

3.26/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks smellsofstout for including this as an extra in our trade.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. 1/2 finger white, small bubble head.

Dark peach color. Not hazy but more of a solid color that I don't consider attractive. Like a thick cider.

I'm beginning to think I should not have included all the yeast dregs on the pour.

Aroma is initially a musty funk. Over time the must grows and becomes less appealing. Taste is too yeasty and bready for my liking. It lends to a heavy mouthfeel that masks the wildness factor I'm looking for. I'd enjoy this one much more with a lighter, crisper body and will do it again with a fraction of the dregs.

Alcohol noticeable on the finish of this 9% beer.

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Small bottle(9ish oz.?) purchased at Hyde Park Wine and Spirits, poured into a Unibroue tulip/flute.

A: Pours a murky grapefruit skin color with a large pearly white - very fluffy and airy - head. Head takes a bit to fall to a thick fluffy skim and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Belgian sweetness along with plenty of yeasty esters. A hint of the Flemish style souring with a lack of the harsh acidity. Overall a bit subtle.

T/M: Wheat is very potent compared to any other wild ales that I've had. Some tartness from the wheat. The wild flavors are light and not extremely complex, largely drying and powdery, though there are some sour and tart light fruits in there in the form of green apples, white grapes, and maybe some apricot. Body is medium with lethargic carbonation.

D: Not a terrible brew but definitely a let down compared to the abundance of stellar wild ales from the US. Drinks decent enough and is interesting but probably not something that will have me buy another.

3.32/5  rDev -14.7%

A -- A cloudy, pale straw brew that pours into a nice head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lacing.

S -- Musty, piny, a little citrus.

T -- Citrus, funky grassy tones. Lightly hoppy and dry. A very faint malt backbone.

M -- Thin and light, with a light stickiness I didn't really expect.

D -- Not really impressive but okay, might be a nice intro for the style. I won't buy it again.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

A - An enormous frothy head sits on top of a cloudy lemon yellow brew. The head is extremely dense and barely moves down the glass as the fluid fills it. The head does grow less dense though, forming larger and larger bubbles as time progresses. The lacing is thick and copious.

S - A nice funk, horse blanket, a hint of sour cherries, lemon pith and pungent wild grass pollen. Toward the dregs there is a bit of earthy notes.

T - The foretaste is ripe with mustiness - like hay kept in a damp area. A mild pithy flavor is present through the aftertaste. Aftertaste is musty, pithy, a little sour and full of horse blanket presence.

M - Thin, a bit watery, harsh, refreshing.

D - Pretty good. It is very musty.

3.36/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid $3.99 for a 11.2oz bottle from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip to taste.

Large pillowey white head with heavy carbonation visibly present. Pale straw yellow in color. Cloudy yet transparent. Excellent pillowy retention floats about 3/4 of an inch above the beer. Thick rails of lacing.

Sweetness, wild yeast, lemon citrus, grassy hops and bread in the nose.

Taste is a little confused to me. The light citrus notes and grassy hops play off of the sweetness and brett yeast, but not in such great of harmony. Well contained 9% ABV.

Light to medium body with hefty carbonation. Saison type mouthfeel.

Not my favorite, but certainly not bad either. I would drink again, but won't seek it out.

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Had At: Brasserie V (Madison, WI)

This was my second beer that I had at the Brasserie V tonight.

Appearance: Pours a lightly tinted hay color with some amber thrown into the mix. A finger of head sits on the top of my glass, although I suspect that there would have been more had the bottle not foamed over when it was opened. The waitress told me that the bottle starting gushing when she cracked it open. Had that not happened I would have expected some thick whipped cream colored head.

Smell: The nose picks up pale malt as the backbone. There's a hint of citrus, either form the yeast and or hops. Finally, the barnyard shows itself from the brett yeast.

Taste: The first splash across the palate reveals pale malt as the backbone. There's a little bit of citrus in here, I think it's lemon. Finally the barnyard shows itself, but it isn't was evident as I was expecting. This wasn't as complex as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer with quite a bit of carbonation. I felt like there were some hop oils coating my teeth and gums on the aftertaste.

Drinkability: This just wasn't as complex of a beer as I was hoping. It seemed rather straightforward. Some pale malt, with a dash of brett to give it some barnyard characteristics. I just wasn't feelin' it.

3.39/5  rDev -12.9%

I need a new tulip glass; Only having one is no good when you drink so many Belgians. Received this in a corked and caged 750ml. Fermented with Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces. My first wild ale.

Pours out a nice honey-orange with a very nice fluffy, creamy head that builds up Duvel-tall and recedes very, very slowly to a thick near-inch covering. It's fed by streams of rising bubbles, and leaves crusty white lacing.

Combination sweet and sour scents - I can tell the Brettanomyces but it's hard to describe because it's different from what I'm used to... It's like dried apricots rolled in pepper and spices, then drizzled in bittersweet caramel. (Then dropped into some vodka).

The taste carries similarly 'unusual' tastes; Gently alcoholic, this is bitter, tart, spicy... It does taste wildly fermented, like that glass of apple juice I left sitting out in the garage for two weeks and then sipped. There's some crabapple, and I notice after a couple of swallows a small amount of acid.

Creamy mouthfeel, with a slightly tart finish; not much is left behind after swallowing.

For a wild-fermented Belgian, this is pretty good; it's my first one, so I'm being somewhat conservative with my ratings because I don't have anything to compare it to.

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Hoppy sour? I swear I can't tell where the hops start and the sour ends. This is sour, bitter, dry, bites, but there's still a to of golden malt.

This is brett, malt, and hops turned into an intense monster and I'm just here lost in what might be the most intense beer (ignoring abv) I can think of.

Golden body with floating yeast for character and a thin white head.

Aroma of bret...and maybe malt?

This bites it's hard to drink but ti's really tasty. Definitely one of the more wild and unique beers I've had....without being weird sugary crap that Dogfish turns out.

3.42/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance: Cloudy orangeade, the head had a few patches a few flakes graced the bottom of my glass.

Smell: Fruity aroma, it took my a while to pin it down, but I finally settled on a mix of apricots and cherry flavored life savers...Interesting!

Taste: Alcohol quite predominant, the sweet, fruity aftertaste mingled well with yeasty, breadcrumb character. Quite full bodied. It was nice, but nothing over the top for me, a trend I seem to notice often from this brewery (I didn't even knew DeProef made the Beer before typing this).

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

My ever expanding trek into sours continues, after having Consecration on tap (bleh), I had this.

Big frothy white head, golden yellow, big carbonation. If this liquid came from that fox, he's better than a goose that lays golden eggs.

Barnyard, fruity, with some bready yeasty smells. B-I-N-G-O.

Alternates between hoppy, musty, sweet, bitter, for sure complex. Like Goldilocks not being able to make up her mind for so damn long. Gosh.

Nice, but not great. Wouldn't drink again. I didn't like the way the tartness dominated most of the beer. I guess that rules out Beatification for me. I'm gonna lay off the sours until Sanctification rolls around, back to bourbon barrel aged with fruit infused "normal" imperial beers.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

750ml bottle poured into some snifters. Picked this one up in NY.

Reinaert had a saison look with a cloudy straw yellow color with some small golden spots and some sediment. Smells consist of barnyard scents, hay and yeast with grain. In taste this does come off as a BSPA with some wild yeast giving off a barnyard musty taste. Some grass from the hops used. Some bread with faint fruits such as banana, light spices. The feel is light crisp and refreshing with just a light touch of funk, very faint. Good carb and ok drinkability, not my favorite brew.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured a dull amber color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows some zesty and tart orange flavors with a touch of sour apple in there. Some pale, sweet, bready malts are there as well as a bit of caramel. It has a strong candied fruit sweetness to it though that is a little dominating.

The taste also has a mix of zesty and tart flavors to it. The sweeter, candied fruits are balanced by a tart, slightly sour fruit quality. Notes of caramel, sour orange and bready maltiness all come out in it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little above average. Overall, it was a pretty decent beer but it felt a little overly sweet and candy like at times. The tart, sourness helped though and was the highlight for me.

3.44/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(11.2oz bottle). Pours cloudy golden with lots of floaties and small white head. Aroma has sour cherries, caramel, and spices. Taste has a sweet malt backbone with both fruits and pit fruit to go along with a modest sourness. The sour, though, is not very noticeable. Medium to full bodied an thick texture. Kind of disappointing....

3.46/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours golden orange, slightly murky with an uneven white head that collects in chunks of large and small bubbles. A little weird. Good lacing. Fairly carbonated

Really fascinating smell. Overripe tropical fruits, specifically guava and papaya. I've never had a beer with quite this smell. Bready, graham cracker malts in the background. Earthy and funky.

The taste follows along with the smell, but with even more graham cracker toasty malts. A nice touch of tartness. Very earthy. But then I get umami flavors perhaps from dead yeast. This aspect makes it a bit less drinkable. Some hop bitterness to round things out, but not much.

Pretty high carbonation. Full mouthfeel, somewhat silky. That umami flavor sticks in the mouth for a while. Not easy to finish

The smell was so fascinating that I had high hopes for this one, but I think there is a bit of dead yeast flavor issue.

3.46/5  rDev -11.1%

Sampled from a fresh bottle provided courtesy of the fine folks at Lucky Baldwin's Sampled in a Piraat glass.

Pale gold deep haze and large fluffy head that sticks

Aroma is buttery with large horsey notes from brett

Flavor is golden raisin malt that is slighty sour to start and increasing with the co2.

Interesting golden brew with some of the notes of the bacterias that make Rodenbach and the like so complex, but this example is lacking something that takes it beyond the curiously sour beer that it exists as now.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance. Pours straw-gold with 3 fingers of billowy white head that has great retention and leaves some nice heavy lacing.

Smell. Nice bretty funk and spicy belgian yeast, some green apples, melon and pears with a little old musty wood.

Taste. Funky and bitter, some aged hops and fruity yeast with some belgian spice and old wood.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body with medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Started out great, but the bitter flavours with the belgian spicy yeast didn't make it the easiest drinker. Not a boring beer, I'll say that much.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

750ml. brown bottle with a cork and cage, no freshness date. It pours a light honey gold with haze and an active floamy white head that settles, eventually.

Musty, dusty, sweet and sour to the nose...in a good way. Lemon, green apple, parsley with a yeasty, sour twang. It tastes much the same as it smells...rather nice, but by the same token...rather un-eventful. You would never guess that this ale is 9% ABV, it's masked very well.

A medium body with some chalkiness from the residue, and a lingering sweetness. Easy enough to drink, but nothing real special here.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

330 mL bottle at refrigerator poured into a snifter.

A - Translucent golden brown body with a thick head that slowly dissipates to a thin coating with a clump of bubbles in the middle.

S - Lemon, vinegar, slightly medicinal, herbs, musk. The nose is a bit too medicinal for my liking, but there is a nice complex variety of smells. As it warms, fruit notes come forward a bit more - green apples and citrus.

T - Surprisingly hoppy. The sourness of the yeasts doesn't work well in concert with the bitterness, though. The finish falls a bit flat for me. Once your palate gets accustomed to the shock of sour and bitter at once, this brew becomes more enjoyable.

M - Good carbonation levels, and feels pretty crisp and refreshing.

D - Not bad, but I would have toned down the hops a bit, and let the brett do its thing. This beer grows on you, though. Definitely worth a try for fans of wild ales, but it won't blow you away.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

This one pours a dull copper in color, light to medium in body, with a one finger head and moderate turbidity. The aromas consist of pale malts, belgian yeast, saccharomyces, and brett. It's slightly sweet and slightly buttery. It's light and dry. The flavors are slightly tart and slightly sweet. You definitely get the pale malt and yeasts. It probably isn't as sharp or bold as it could be. The alcohol is well hidden. It's ok but isn't necessarily anything unique. It's a pretty standard Belgian pale with two yeasts. Solid beer, nothing crazy.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Pours a dark golden color with a slight haze. The huge, rocky, white head forced
me to take several attempts to finish pouring the beer in my glass. A decent amount of lacing
was left behind on the glass.

Aroma: Loads of berries! Blueberries, raspberries, grapes, cherries, and strawberries all make
an appearance. A touch of breadiness is also in the background.

Taste: Big fruity sweetness all the way down. As you continue to drink it, a bit of tartness
slowly grows on the tongue.

Palate: Body is leaning towards the heavier side of medium, and the carbonation level was low.
Aftertaste reminded me of Welch's grape juice.

Overall: A bit unexpected, but it was a good beer. I'd be interested in what would come from
letting this beer sit for some time behind the bar in my basement.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

A: Drab honey lemon color with a touch of haze from the chill. Head started fizzy but a solid inch of sudsy off white bubbles remain.

S: Green banana peels, dried hay, grass clippings, dirty socks and citrus rind.

T: Starts off with mild dry grains, spicy yeast and unforeboding yellow apple. Musky flavors come next mixed with cooked corn, unsalted crackers and candied pears. Honey nectar is the last flavor to cross the palate with hints of nilla wafer, golden raisin and a floral nature. Alcohol hides itself well even at warmer temps.

M: Medium body, soft with just a touch of carbo sting.

D: As my mouth adjusted and the beer warmed, it definitely grew on me. This beer is still generally boring.

3.51/5  rDev -9.8%

I don't quite know what to make of this one. It's slightly tart, but not what I expected from a "wild ale." Scent is off a bit, kinda funky, but not in a pleasant way at first. Once the yeast settles a bit, the scent is easier on the nose, but it is not indicative of the taste at all. Taste is good, not great, and not very "wild." Tart at first, this quickly fades to sweet, then finishes a bit tart again. I barely taste the brettanomyces, perhaps it's the saccharomyces that is the predominant yeast here. All in all, not a bad brew, but not something I would regularly pick up. If you are looking for a wild ale in particular, look elsewhere.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance – Light, cloudy body with a decent head that held well but pulled away from the glass.

Smell – Nice yeasty malt aroma with good spices and hops to boot. Very balanced aroma. The yeast is like nothing I’ve ever smelled before. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s almost like a musty cabernet. Maybe eucalyptus?

Taste – The yeast stands out the most to me, which is strange for a pale ale. There are a lot of hops in there, though. There’s a predominant musty character to this brew, like mint or (again) eucalyptus. Although the yeast and hops are strange, they’re balanced. A bit of sweetness comes in at the end, but mostly it’s a sour finish.

Mouthfeel – Nice carbonation, but it’s not smooth by any stretch.

Drinkability – Definitely a topic of conversation. I don’t know that I’d want to suck down another one, though.

Comments – This is a very interesting brew. I was disheartened to see only four other reviews. I’d like to see what other experienced BAs have to say about this one.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into 8oz snifter.

Pale golden hue, clear, with a one finger thick and fluffy white head that slowly settles to a thick cap, leaving behind sticky lacing.

Light estery fruit aromas with a bit of spice, and plenty of sour phenols from the Brettanomyces.

The tartness and sourness sticks out at the beginning of each sip. Some bready malt is in the background, with some fruit flavors that highly contrast the sourness on the other side. Medium bodied with good carbonation. The sour flavors linger for a long time after each sip.

This is a very daunting beer, and show be avoided at all costs by those new to beer. Sour, tart, with a little bit of sweetness sneaking in. And oddly, a bit of creaminess. Recommended for those who want it.

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot)