Sheaf Stout | Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.

good
Sheaf StoutSheaf Stout

Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.
Australia
fosters.com.au

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by Mitchster on 11-20-2001

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours black as expected, with thin beige foamy head. Aroma is burnt and chocolaty. Taste is dark roasted malt and chocolate. Lingering bitterness on the palate. Nice! .

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours well into a chilly pint glass. Looks like some black coffee I'd drink. The thin mocha tinged head fades away, really looks great.
The aroma is almost world class, especially when ice cold. Smells sweet like a stout and slightly alcoholic. Smells almost like a red ale. Has a metalic taste to it, again like some sort of stout/red ale hybrid. A bit alcoholic again. I was told this brew wasn't the best however I was still a bit let down after I took a few swigs. Hey, its better than nothing.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Surprisingly dark and malty. A bit thick, little foam.

S - Nothing too strong. Mild smell.

T - Tastes a lot like guiness, both in strength and texture.

M - Smooth going down, but lacking any distinct characteristics.

O - A mild stout. Feels like Australia's answer to guiness.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had to rush out to try this beer when, in the same week, I heard it was endorsed by Krist Novoselic and dis-endorsed by some old family friends as being "too bitter". This distinctively styled 750 mL bottle is best before 20/DEC/15(!!) Pours black and a little on the thick side, with a distinct aroma of alcohol and oak (vanilla, even bourbon). I find the flavor on the mild side, actually, with very little carbonation, just a bit of grainy bitterness, and nice coffee finish. It's not as complex as your typical craft stout but I would absolutely drink this. And at this price per bottle, I could drink quite a lot. The oaky and ethanol/metallic notes remind me of much bigger Russian Imperial Stouts -- which this of course is not -- but I'm perhaps a little too easy to forive what might otherwise be defects, because they suggest to me one of my favorite styles.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Sheaf Stout from Carlton & United Breweries, Ltd.