Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale | Carolina Beer Company

Availability: Fall

Added by aracauna on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 144 | Ratings: 173
2.65/5  rDev -31%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Poured a light hazy orange about what you'd expect from a pumpkin ale, had a small head but it didn't last

S- Smelled of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg

T- Tasted way to light and fruity for me, when you read "spice" on the bottle I thought spicy, not fruity. Just didnt do much for me.

M- Decent mouthfeel, medium bodied but the taste just doesn't do it for me

D- You could easily drink quite a few of these but I must refrain from doing so.

UPDATE- I think I got skunk beer when I bought this. I tried this brew on 9/12/09 and it was excellent. I would give it an A-

2.62/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

courtesy of clvand0

poured a deep red/orange and an off white head that faded to a rim around the glass. cinnamon and mutmeg in the aroma with some butter and hints of squash. prickly carbonation followed by a muted a weak mouthfeel, bit on the thin side with some cinnamon and nutmeg aftertaste. no that bad but there are other better pumpkin beers out there.

2.45/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a 3 finger yellowed fizzy head over a clear amber liquid. Smells spicey zing, cherry sour, and mildly of oranges. Pumpkin underneath, but the nose is mostly spice (nutmeg, allspice, clove, and a little ginger).

Spice presents at the lips and holds throughout, persisting even into the somewhat tart sour to finish. Some esters and a suttle pumpkin present. Something is not right about the malt, it's both wet and sour. Add on a drying spice and the beer is out of whack. Comes across as a bit medicinal. Md-thick body and too strong carbonation.

1.81/5  rDev -52.9%

Brown long-neck twist off bottle.

Based on the other reviews, I must have gotten a bad bottle (or six pack). This beer was bad from the get go. Could it have been left over from last year??

The beer poured a cloudy (chill haze) almost murky amber with a small quickly disappearing head.

Aroma was rotting vegetable -- sauerkraut...some vinegar. If you search past that, you can get some cinnamon and malt.

This beer was sour with some pumpkin and vegetable. Seemed infected.

While it was a drinkable beer, why? Life is too short to drink bad beer. I poured it out after tasting enough to make a thorough review.

(I have had this beer in previous years and it was much better. As bad as this beer was, I'm hesitant to try another.)

Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale from Carolina Beer Company