San Miguel Pale Pilsen | San Miguel Brewery Inc.

poor

4.5/5  rDev +63.6%

4.25/5  rDev +54.5%

The any time beer

4.15/5  rDev +50.9%

A college chum of mine recently did some overseas charity work and brought back various southeast Asian CANs for me. More proof that it pays to advertise where The CANQuest (tm) is CANcerned!

From the CAN: "Since 1890"; "Expertly Brewed Origial Full-Flavored"; "A truly satisfying beer with a refined, well-balanced flavor. Perfected and brewed following over a century-old tradition of brewing excellence."; "Expertly Brewed and Produced by San Miguel Brewery Inc. for Domestic Sale Only"; "Keep the Philippines clean. Dispose of properly." The reverse of the CAN depicted one of the stubby bottles of my memory! I do not remember this ever being CANned, frankly.

It was a tougher Crack! than usual, perhaps because the vent was more oval-shaped than circular, plus I got a little squirt across my fingertips since it was a brimful CAN. I got excited and went with a heavier Glug than I had originally intended, raising three fingers of rocky, foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see through the walls. It is windy & cold out there! Today is Sa, 13 Feb 2016. Nose held a slight lemony tang along with a metallic twang that is more like what I remember. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not really watery, but not much beyond it, either. The taste was actually quite clean, belying the nose. It had a very light malt sweetness and there were not any appreciable hops, but it was much like I remember it. It was always great cold out of the cooler on those swelteringly hot, humid days in the PI. I like that they are CANning it now and if it were available stateside, I would put some in my summer cooler.

My original bottle review, dtd 10 March 2011 follows:

San Miguel?!? Hoo haa! How about SammyGooGoo, as that is how it was pronounced on hangover-ridden mornings in the PI (Philippine Islands)? I was once a young man with a sensibility that might have done me proud, but after my first (of many) liberty port visits to Subic Bay/Olongopo City on Luzon, my boundaries were stripped away. Barrio Baretto and Uncle Sam's Saloon were the sites of both my first Around the World and my first public sexual act (in a hammock to loud applause). Blewed, screwed and tattooed all for less than $20. was the battle cry and SammyGooGoo fueled the madness. Hell, we called it Flip (sorry) Roulette, because it was often "Green" - underfermented and ready to finish fermentation in your gut and erupt at the most inopportune moment. You never knew until it was time. I won a LOT of money for my prowess with this beer and the squat little bottle still fits my hand like a glove. I miss the painted label bottles, though, and God help you if you broke one. They were like gold for their Deposit/Return value and were closely watched. That and they were the perfect height for the Peso/Banana/Lotion Dancers. Use your imagination.

From the (paste-on) Label/Bottle: : "A truly satisfying beer with a refined, well-balanced flavor. Perfected and brewed following over a century tradition of brewing excellence."

A finger of bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality, allowing me to look into the neighbor's kitchen. Nose was surprisingly malty and lager-like. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium and it had a really pleasant German-Pilsner taste in the mouth. Not a lot of hops, but not diluted with adjuncts, either. Frankly, I do not remember it being this good! Finish was clean, semi-dry, refreshing. Suddenly, I was back with my brown honey-honeys, jaggin' the Marines, lolling in the oppressive heat just before monsoon season. Good times, bro, good times.

4.02/5  rDev +46.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear, golden color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Has a nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet, grainy, and malty.

Taste - Very bready and malty, light pale malts, and grains.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - This is a pretty good, crisp beer to drink on.

3.92/5  rDev +42.5%

Poured from a 355mL bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Transparent dull gold with very impressive thick, chunky head with decent retention. Heavy lacing. Lots and lots of bubbles.

S: Fruity and floral. A seriously strong smell. Beery/grainy scents underneath. Impressive range and depth of smells for a pilsner.

T: Light-bodied and vaguely fruity with a mild sweetness. Carbonation initiates a tingliness which provokes the beerier grain and malt flavours before a watery-smooth aftertaste carries it out. Very nice.

M: Light, refreshing, enjoyable. Smooth in the mouth and easy going down.

D: Insanely drinkable. The most quaffable pilsner I've come across. Easily sessionable, sippable, or consumable in any manner you choose. Definitely worth picking a few up.

3.88/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +39.6%

Pours a bright yellow color with a small amount of head that chunks up and fades away pretty quickly. I could actually smell this from the pour out of the bottle. Smells mostly of fruity/citrusy hops with a little bit of yeast there as well. The taste is very clean and fairly well balanced. I expected a lot more hop flavor/bitterness, but I was pleasantly surprised. There is some hop flavor and sweetness, it's nothing I can really make out though. It does finish nice and clean. Mouthfeel is light and lightly carbonated. All in all, it's a very drinkable beer, good for a hot day. I'll get this again, I think.

3.84/5  rDev +39.6%

3.77/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

sweetish and light, not much of an aftertaste.

Experienced in : Manila
Appealing to me : its kind of bitterness
Less appealing to me : color

I like this beer and will look forward to my next drink.

3.72/5  rDev +35.3%

San Miguel has a very thick, frothy, white head and a clear, yellow appearance, with a good amount of sticky lacing down the glass. The aroma is overwhelmingly of bread (white bread). Taste is again bready barley malt, but some sweet hop spiciness is strong across the middle and end of the sip. It's spicy, so-to-speak. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and San Miguel finishes crisp, refreshing, and a tad cloying. Overall, this is a pretty good, and certainly interesting beer. I'd say it's worth trying.

RJT

3.71/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Decanted from an 11.2 oz bottle into a conical pint glass; no production data.
A: Pours a perfectly clear, pale golden color with robust carbonation, leading to an at least one inch head, but little head retention and no lacing.
S: Aroma mostly cracked grain than baked bread, with a little herbal/grassy.
T: Palate follows nose, with the grain end of flavor predominating. Lightly bitter with a little bitter aftertaste.
M: Light bodied with solid carbonation. Fairly refreshing.
O: This was a reasonable example of the Pilsener style. If we are comparing this to other Pilseners, it's actually a pretty well made one. I also appreciate that it is placed in brown bottles, as, despite being imported from the other side of the world, it drinks fresh and unskunked.

3.68/5  rDev +33.8%

Appearance: Clear, golden color. Fizzy head and high carbonation.

Smell: Grass and hop resin.

Taste: Nice bite, crisp. Minimal hop and malt character, but what is there is in nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated with a satisfying thickness.

Drinkability: This is heavy for a beer from the tropics. I received this beer hand carried from the Philippines. This is better than the export version available in the States. Reminds me of hot Philippine days and cool nights.

3.65/5  rDev +32.7%

This was my first foray into a Philippine beer. It poured a light straw like color and had no flash at all. The taste was slightly pleasing but nothing to rave about. It basically just had that standard taste. I thought it was not really a pilsner but I am still a rookie! It went down very smooth and I would drink it again, and even again!!
Thx

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

San Miguel Pale Pilsen from San Miguel Brewery Inc.