Coedo Beniaka
Coedo Brewery (Kyodo Shoji Koedo Brewery)

Coedo BeniakaCoedo Beniaka
Score:
Ranked #44,601
3.49 | pDev: 13.47%
From:
Coedo Brewery (Kyodo Shoji Koedo Brewery)

Japan
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Coedo BeniakaCoedo Beniaka
Notes: Imperial Sweet Potato Amber.

Because of the use of sweet potato as a secondary ingredient, Japanese laws classify Coedo Beniaka as a Happoshu (malt beverage).
View: Beers
Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 143 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.94/5  rDev +12.9%

First Happoshu, whatever that means.

This one pours a slightly murky brown color, with a small white head, and lots of lacing.

I don’t know what a happoshu is supposed to taste like. But this kinda feels pumpkin-ale-ish, with a fleshy sweet potato sweetness, some floral type character, and a bit of breadiness.

This is creamy, and pretty drinkable, with a slightly slick finish.

I didn’t know what to expect with this, and I also don’t know what to expect if I have another happoshu in my life. Aside from all that it was pretty tasty.

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%

Lovely clear brown body topped with a thick and frothy head; sticky sheets of foam adhere to the glass. Nice earthy and mildly sweet smell; a bit of caramel and brown sugar. A muted sweetness and caramel taste dominates the flavors; a smidgen of cola in the background; fine and subtle bitterness permeates it all. Medium body; softy prickly; semi-sweet overall.

This beer reminds me of a brown ale. It is nicely balanced and intriguingly complex. I do not know what sweet potatoes add to the beer overall, but there is no overt presence of them to be found. Good and righteous...

3.96/5  rDev +13.5%

Sample from the brewer himself in Kawagoe near the brewery.
Clear brown - copper body with high clarity and a very good off-white head.
Medium body and carbonation.
Very good balance with a harmonious mix of flavors. Mild bitterness. Refreshing, excellent version of the style.

3.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- Very deep chestnut brown. 3mm fine off-shite head clearing to lacing.
S- It has a distinctive and somewhat earthy aroma.
T- The flavour is also quite disctinctive, but then again it's the first beer I've had made with sweet potatoes! That said the difference is quite subtle, if I didn't know re: the sweet potatoes I wouldn't have guessed the recipe was that far off-piste.
F- It has as much body and mouthfeel as you'd expect from a 7.0%, it is over in the 'winter-warmer' category in my opinion. Very drinkable, nothing notable is out of place. I'd drink it again, though if I'd pay for it at the price I paid is another matter.
O- Above and beyond the Japanese mass-market beers, they really do produce some very interesting beers. They tend to be damned expensive, both over there, and I previously lived in Tokyo, so of course over here too. But what I notice, and appreciate is that the JPnese are perfectionists, and there is rarely if ever anything to find fault with in higher end beers like Coedo (Hitachino Nest, etc).
Bought from Amathus [drinks shop] Wardour Street, Soho, London W1. £3.90/333ml

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the bottle into a Reidel Overture Beer Glass paired with a black truffle gouda grilled cheese and creamy butternut squash soup topped with toasted pumpkin seeds.
L: A gorgeous Amber red color with a full fluffy head
S: Earthy, sweet with a balance of caramel and bitterness
T: Earthy, Hoppy tang with a lingering sweetness, great match for the truffle gouda
F: Rich bodied and well balanced but definitely a slow sipper at 7.0%ABV
O: Not something I would select regularly but definitely a treat with the right meal. Pretty cool that it's brewed with roasted Kintoki Sweet potatoes from Japan! Would pair well with mushrooms, Charcuterie, Salmon, Asparagus, Steak, Cheese, Chocolate Cake

3.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dirty brown color - cloudy and somewhat hazy. Thin tan head dissipates util there is about a quarter inch of velvety foam that lingers for some time. Solid head retention.

Aroma is interesting - there is some spice, bready malts, sweat potato, and some soapy vegetal hops. This is frankly unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Almost reminds me of an overly old spiced pumpkin ale ...

Taste has notes of bready malts initially - it tastes like a lager up front. You then get this spicy peppery note along with a sweet potato note and a bitter earthy finish.

Feel is light to medium bodied. The bitterness coats the mouth and leaves a lingering sensation in the back of the mouth. Mild to moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a truly unique beer - my first and only experience with Happoshu. This particular example is a solid beer - but would seem to me to be more of an acquired taste.

3.69/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium reddish browna with a fizzy light khaki head that dissipates quickly to a thin film that is then persistant. Aroma of biscuit malt and unidentifiable vegetable that does smell somewhat like sweet potato if you are expecting it; mostly malty and vegetal. Flavor is semi-sweet biscuit malt, slight brown sugar and light sweet potato, mildly earthy with a malty and lightly grassy op finish. Medium bodied with light creaminess and good mouth feel. I got this because I've enjoyed sweet potato ales in the past and always looking for craft offerings from Japan. I was a little discouraged to see somewhat low ratings for this, especially after the odd vegetable notes in the aroma. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor, which has genuine sweet potato character, but well balanced by the malt, which has a nice dark malt profile similar to a bock. This is not a typical happoshu and at the top of the ABV range for the style; I'd probably characterize it as a vegetable beer. I guess I'm fan of sweet potato beers and I rather liked this.

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a brown ale brewed with sweet potato, a very cool beer that i have not seen for sale in colorado before now. the bottles are neat, custom glass with the letters of the brewery stamped in to the neck. we rarely see japanese craft brands here, so this was an exciting one to find. a light brown dark amber mahogany beer with a swiftly rising white airy head with excellent retention, crystal clear and pretty in the glass. aroma is a little sweet, sort of starchy and earthy and candied, baked, warming and autumnal but also very simple, lacking the cocoa profile of a lot of brown ales despite the color, and thats true in the flavor too. there is a nice nuttiness to this, a pleasant even sweetness throughout, maple syrup and brown sugar, but it stays drinkable. i want to taste more of the sweet potato, i think a lot of it is fermented out, and it makes the malt base seem kind of thin and overly simple for the style. a little more roast and chocolate character here would be awesome, but i like it being a little lighter and easy drinking too. i am surprised the potato isnt more obvious in the flavor. i am also used to japanese beers having interesting yeast characteristics, but this one seems sort of simple and generic, a basic ale type without a ton of flavor. still, overall this beer seems high quality, fancy even, and quite unique, a mix of red and brown ale qualities in a really smooth and refined beer overall. fun stuff, i hope to see more of their stuff around! this is great at the holiday table, really festive without being spiced!

2.77/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From Hiper Oriente. Playing Extreme Forklifting 2. In Teku glass. Flat. Didnt find much potato flavors nor sweetness, just light amberish caramel notes and a lagerish feel. Boring and a bit industrialish

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My first Happoshu ! (I never thought I would get beyond 101 styles.) What a pleasant surprise.
And so is the beer. Perfect for lunch (which mostly was California rolls.) So, I'm having a great culinary experience.
Beniaka has a pleasant sweetness (I presume from the sweet potatoes and caramel malt) that counters the soy sauce.

Looks and Smells resemble a Belgian dubbel with the usual malty, molasses, sugar going on. Taste lacks Belgian's individualistic spicing (which is OK by me) and Feels and finishes mostly sweet with out any cloying. But it is just the overall sensation of finding a new style and an appropriate food strictly by serendipity that makes beer-hunting all that much more fun.

I certainly hope to have Beniaka again... and again with mild food.

3.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First off I don't like sweet potatoes at all but a beer brewed with them sounded interesting...even good. I'm glad i gave it a chance because it's a really good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Surprisingly tasty! Poured from a 333 ml bottle, it appears dark amber-brown with some froth which does not retain well. Aromas are very much like a Belgian ale, malt, molasses, caramel. Taste is rich, sweet and thick, again very much like a Belgian dubbel, with a medium body and rather creamy mouthfeel. While classified as a happoshu (Japanese low malt beer), the sweet potato imparts its smooth, rich character, making this a unique brew.

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle, no visible date. DFH tulip.

A: pours a hazy dark Amber to light brown, with 1 finger off-white head that quickly recedes to a thick ring of bubbles at the edge of the glass. Only a little visible carbonation. Really interesting bottle.

S: sweet potato! Candied yams with caramelized brown sugar. This is such a Thanksgiving dessert beer. Really a bold sweet potato nose; mouthwatering.

T: drier than the nose would suggest, but still a sweet, malty, bready arrival. Mid palate is dark, toasted rye bread crust with hints of that sweet potato taste. As it transitions to the ending and finish you get a burst of earthy and sweet tubers right before a slightly astringent bittering. Earthy and slightly sweet taste lingers.

M: lighter end of mid bodied with low carbonation. A little slick initially, but turns clean and somewhat astringent on the finish. Definitely a lager. Without a doubt the cleanest and most drinkable pumpkin or yam beer I have ever had.

O: this satisfies the happoshu category, though it is no happoshu. What it is is a thoroughly enjoyable yam beer. If it weren't $6.39 a bottle, I'd make it a regular Thanksgivin tradition. As it is, it was an interesting beer and I would recommend it highly.

3.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

"Beniaka." Imperial sweet potato amber. 7% ABV.

333ml brown glass bottle with sanguine label and Thai description purchased at the Beer Lab in Chiang Mai Thailand for 310 baht. Packaged 05.11.15.

Notes below are brief since I'm relegated to a phone review.

A: No head. Auburn body. No yeast is visible within.

Sm: Toasted amber malts give this a nice backbone that nods towards bread crust and Caramel. Hop character bends a bit herbal. I have to look for the sweet potato to notice it, but while I doubt I'd recognize sweet potato in a blind tasting, I do pick up on an uncommon sweetness; in any case, it really seems to work.

Aromatic intensity is average.

T: Has a raw sweetness I guess comes from sweet potato, but there's no way I'd guess that blind. Amber malts are at the core of this well-balanced brew. Marshmallow, brown sugar/pimoncello, caramel, bread crust, toast. A kiss of pumpkin.

No noticeable hop character here. No booziness or yeast character.

Nicely executed, though it lacks the depth of flavour and complexity I'd expect in any great imperial amber.

I do like it, even if there's ample room for improvement.

Mf: Smooth, medium-bodied, wet, well-carbonated, and of appropriate heft and weight on the palate.

O: Drinkable, especially for a sweet beer of 7% ABV. I'd get it again if offered at a better price. The raw sweetness imparted by the sweet potato helps set this one apart; it definitely has a different flavour profile than most imperial Ambers (which tend to go big on the hops). Interesting fare from a brewery I'd never heard of prior.

Low B- / WORTHY

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

330ml bottle into 350ml beer glass. Bit of a head. No lacing.

Quite a nice nose on this - little bit of coffee I think and some brown sugar. A little bit of fruit coming through with the malts.

Palate is nice also - malty with some coffee and caramel. Nice.

Mouth is a little thin and fizzy.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I think I had a bit of a taste for red ales as I'd just drunk Brew Dog's 5am red ale when I drank this. I scored that one highly and this stood up pretty well.

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep amber colored brew with a pale white head, poured into a nonic ten ounce glass. 4.25

Smells quite a bit like sweet potato and it’s not unpleasant. Different. Kind of nice. Also has an odd yeasty presence that reminds me of my heavy-drinking days, is kind of pungent and acrid, and also kind of reminds me of vodka. It’s pretty much the way a lot of beers smelled before I’d tasted a great beer. 3

Sweet potato makes it to my taste buds and again, I’m pleasantly surprised. Also has a quality like sake. There’s got to be rice in here. It’s got the feel and the taste. And it’s kind of caramelly and bread sweet. Some floral notes are there in the mix too. It’s interesting and not bad at all. 3.5

Okay, I do have one beef. This thing feels hot and sake-like. Seriously, there’s a sake quality to this. The mouthfeel is a bit numbing almost. Beyond that it’s sweet, kind of sticky and finishes with a bitter dryness. 3.5

This ain’t bad at all. I’d drink it again.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Moderately clean malt with a caramel like quality, with a moderately sweet aroma.

A: Light amber color, quite clear with a very thin white head that has adequate retention. Light lacing in the glass.

T: Moderate clean malt, with the sweet potato in the foreground. The beer is fairly sweet with moderate bitterness that slightly lingers.

M: Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. The beer has almost a soft mouth-feel and drinks super easy for being 7% ABV.

O: Alright; the aroma and flavor is reminiscent of an Amber lager with a bit more sweetness. Interesting idea to use the sweet potato to drive the light sweetness.

4.06/5  rDev +16.3%

From bottle, pours a dark brown but when held to the light it has a reddish Amber to it, it has a small tan head that disapates quickly. Aroma caramel, sweet, potatoes. Taste caramel, toffee, sweet, earthy. Not to bad.

2.29/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A deep, reddish amber lager with sweet potato at its focus. This is the first time I've poured a beer down the drain after expecting something excellent. I've had great Japanese beer, and this is not one of them.

I am about to make a statement that may sound rude or ignorant, but I promise I am not being bigoted when I say this: this beer reeks of soy sauce. In a very bad way. It smells terrible. It makes me sick thinking about the smell. I couldn't take it, and that's coming from someone who uses soy sauce/tamari a lot with food.

The taste wasn't something to write home about either. It looked great in a glass, though!

I don't think sweet potato lagers are for me.

3.57/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear Carmel color with a thin white head. A sweet malty smell. A very smooth, lager like taste with a finish with, what I suppose is the sweet potato. Much better than I thought it was going to be.

4.23/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

While this is technically a happoshu, it really has nothing particular in common with any other happoshu. Happoshu is a tax bracket, not a beer style, and this site should probably reflect that.

It's a stretch to call this beer 'amber,' although I suppose if you've got 'imperial' in front of it then you could get away with it. But really it's brown. Thick, deep, mahogany brown with a camel-colored foam that doesn't really last. Smells delicious, though, with a cavalcade of 'roasty' aromas: sweet potatoes, chestnuts, pumpkin bread, and malted milk, along with some lovely dark fruit notes as well, namely blackcurrants and chocolate-covered cherries.

Tastes less sweet than it smells, although this is still decidedly malty, and actually reminds me of a really good bock. Flavors of chocolate, dried fig, blackcurrants, dark caramel, maple, and a hint of sherry all come tied up in a gorgeously smooth and rich (but not sickly) mouthfeel. Disappointingly, it doesn't have much of a sweet potato flavor – probably the malts are just getting in the way – but that's not such a big deal when the beer is so good anyway. Very tasty stuff. Possible food pairings: baba ganoush, horumon yaki, meatballs, foie gras, Alpine cheese.

3.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown red. Below normal head volume with little retention or lacing.

The nose is rather nice, sweet potato, molasses, light caramel and maybe other vegetables or fruit.

Light body with a texture a bit heavier than water. Below normal carbonation with just a bit of effervescence in the finish.

The flavor is unique, but not bad if you like sweet potatoes. Sweet potato becomes the base with a bit of hop bitterness arriving in the middle. As it progresses, the sweetness takes on a molasses note with a hint of caramel.

3.47/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

11.25oz bottle, 2 cup Pyrex, 14.12.11 on the back label.

The color is russet, like sweet potatoes and brown sugar mashed. There isn't much head to speak of, just a collection of off-white bubbles that cover half the top.

It's a very sweet aroma and the sweet potatoes come through, smelling like they're mixed with the aforementioned brown sugar. Alcohol is also apparent, though not harsh.

Sweet, sugary, with an earthiness in the back. Finishes musky and bitter from the alcohol.

Velvety, not very carbonated.

This is a hard beer to rate. I don't know the Happoshu style well, but I believe it usually refers to beers cut largely with rice or more benign adjuncts. This is a creative iteration that is much like a Doppelbock in my eyes. Quite tasty and will go anywhere a Doppelbock will!

3.51/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The sweet potatoes are definitely the main feature here. For me, probably a bit too much. Gives a full sweetness with a mildly syrup level of feel. It's an interesting beer that would probably be a good first craft beer for someone. For me it will probably be a bit difficult to finish and the more I sip, the more I yearn for some hops and bitterness.

3.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 09.10.14

Look - Pours blood orange red with fluffy white head. Decent distribution, good retention. 3.75 paws.

Smell - Roasted sweet potato greets you with an underlying grassy, steely hop character. Bits of syrup, roasted marshmallow, caramel. 3.5 paws.

Taste - Sweet sweet potato up front, slightly bitter finish. Muted hop character. Nicely balanced, a bit stale though. 3.25 paws.

Feel - Light to medium bodied, low carbonation. 3.5 paws.

Overall - Not my cup of tea, but makes for a refreshing beer with a good amount of flavor. 3.5 paws.

Coedo Beniaka from Coedo Brewery (Kyodo Shoji Koedo Brewery)
Beer rating: 79 out of 100 with 143 ratings