Coedo Beniaka | Coedo Brewery (Kyodo Shoji Koedo Brewery)

Coedo BeniakaCoedo Beniaka
Liked This Beer
3.43 w/ 127 ratings
Coedo BeniakaCoedo Beniaka

Coedo Brewery (Kyodo Shoji Koedo Brewery)
Japan
coedobrewery.com

Style: Happoshu

Imperial Sweet Potato Amber.

Because of the use of sweet potato as a secondary ingredient, Japanese laws classify Coedo Beniaka as a Happoshu (malt beverage).

Added by Westsidebuddha on 05-07-2010

Liked:
3.43/5
Alströms:

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My first Happoshu ! (I never thought I would get beyond 101 styles.) What a pleasant surprise.
And so is the beer. Perfect for lunch (which mostly was California rolls.) So, I'm having a great culinary experience.
Beniaka has a pleasant sweetness (I presume from the sweet potatoes and caramel malt) that counters the soy sauce.

Looks and Smells resemble a Belgian dubbel with the usual malty, molasses, sugar going on. Taste lacks Belgian's individualistic spicing (which is OK by me) and Feels and finishes mostly sweet with out any cloying. But it is just the overall sensation of finding a new style and an appropriate food strictly by serendipity that makes beer-hunting all that much more fun.

I certainly hope to have Beniaka again... and again with mild food.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First off I don't like sweet potatoes at all but a beer brewed with them sounded interesting...even good. I'm glad i gave it a chance because it's a really good beer.

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%

Surprisingly tasty! Poured from a 333 ml bottle, it appears dark amber-brown with some froth which does not retain well. Aromas are very much like a Belgian ale, malt, molasses, caramel. Taste is rich, sweet and thick, again very much like a Belgian dubbel, with a medium body and rather creamy mouthfeel. While classified as a happoshu (Japanese low malt beer), the sweet potato imparts its smooth, rich character, making this a unique brew.

2.31/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

3.02/5  rDev -12%

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.61/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle, no visible date. DFH tulip.

A: pours a hazy dark Amber to light brown, with 1 finger off-white head that quickly recedes to a thick ring of bubbles at the edge of the glass. Only a little visible carbonation. Really interesting bottle.

S: sweet potato! Candied yams with caramelized brown sugar. This is such a Thanksgiving dessert beer. Really a bold sweet potato nose; mouthwatering.

T: drier than the nose would suggest, but still a sweet, malty, bready arrival. Mid palate is dark, toasted rye bread crust with hints of that sweet potato taste. As it transitions to the ending and finish you get a burst of earthy and sweet tubers right before a slightly astringent bittering. Earthy and slightly sweet taste lingers.

M: lighter end of mid bodied with low carbonation. A little slick initially, but turns clean and somewhat astringent on the finish. Definitely a lager. Without a doubt the cleanest and most drinkable pumpkin or yam beer I have ever had.

O: this satisfies the happoshu category, though it is no happoshu. What it is is a thoroughly enjoyable yam beer. If it weren't $6.39 a bottle, I'd make it a regular Thanksgivin tradition. As it is, it was an interesting beer and I would recommend it highly.

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

"Beniaka." Imperial sweet potato amber. 7% ABV.

333ml brown glass bottle with sanguine label and Thai description purchased at the Beer Lab in Chiang Mai Thailand for 310 baht. Packaged 05.11.15.

Notes below are brief since I'm relegated to a phone review.

A: No head. Auburn body. No yeast is visible within.

Sm: Toasted amber malts give this a nice backbone that nods towards bread crust and Caramel. Hop character bends a bit herbal. I have to look for the sweet potato to notice it, but while I doubt I'd recognize sweet potato in a blind tasting, I do pick up on an uncommon sweetness; in any case, it really seems to work.

Aromatic intensity is average.

T: Has a raw sweetness I guess comes from sweet potato, but there's no way I'd guess that blind. Amber malts are at the core of this well-balanced brew. Marshmallow, brown sugar/pimoncello, caramel, bread crust, toast. A kiss of pumpkin.

No noticeable hop character here. No booziness or yeast character.

Nicely executed, though it lacks the depth of flavour and complexity I'd expect in any great imperial amber.

I do like it, even if there's ample room for improvement.

Mf: Smooth, medium-bodied, wet, well-carbonated, and of appropriate heft and weight on the palate.

O: Drinkable, especially for a sweet beer of 7% ABV. I'd get it again if offered at a better price. The raw sweetness imparted by the sweet potato helps set this one apart; it definitely has a different flavour profile than most imperial Ambers (which tend to go big on the hops). Interesting fare from a brewery I'd never heard of prior.

Low B- / WORTHY

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

330ml bottle into 350ml beer glass. Bit of a head. No lacing.

Quite a nice nose on this - little bit of coffee I think and some brown sugar. A little bit of fruit coming through with the malts.

Palate is nice also - malty with some coffee and caramel. Nice.

Mouth is a little thin and fizzy.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I think I had a bit of a taste for red ales as I'd just drunk Brew Dog's 5am red ale when I drank this. I scored that one highly and this stood up pretty well.

3.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep amber colored brew with a pale white head, poured into a nonic ten ounce glass. 4.25

Smells quite a bit like sweet potato and it’s not unpleasant. Different. Kind of nice. Also has an odd yeasty presence that reminds me of my heavy-drinking days, is kind of pungent and acrid, and also kind of reminds me of vodka. It’s pretty much the way a lot of beers smelled before I’d tasted a great beer. 3

Sweet potato makes it to my taste buds and again, I’m pleasantly surprised. Also has a quality like sake. There’s got to be rice in here. It’s got the feel and the taste. And it’s kind of caramelly and bread sweet. Some floral notes are there in the mix too. It’s interesting and not bad at all. 3.5

Okay, I do have one beef. This thing feels hot and sake-like. Seriously, there’s a sake quality to this. The mouthfeel is a bit numbing almost. Beyond that it’s sweet, kind of sticky and finishes with a bitter dryness. 3.5

This ain’t bad at all. I’d drink it again.

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Coedo Beniaka from Coedo Brewery (Kyodo Shoji Koedo Brewery)
Beer rating: 24.4% out of 100 with 127 ratings