Tokyo Black | Yo-Ho Brewing Company

Added by Naerhu on 12-25-2005

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 82 | Ratings: 186
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer looks thick on the pour and the rich one and a half finger head which results is a really beautiful light tan. It has the consistency of a milkshake. Really enticing.

Smell is a bit weak. Smoky notes. Super roasted malts. A bit of coffee here and there. Nothing to write home about.

First sip, taste is...interesting. Smoky almost rauch-like, creamy, then chocolatey. Coffee notes are there as well. As well as something else that I'm reeaaaally having a difficult time putting my finger on... I think its something from the bitter chocolate but I can't be sure.
The bitterness is there but any hop flavor is undetectable. I'm not a big porter drinker but this one is unlike any porter I've had. (Or maybe I just forgot what they taste like, it's been so long since I've had one.)

Very unique, complex beer. I wouldn't drink a bunch of these. Never was my favorite style but I appreciate a good beer when I taste one and this is one.

4.48/5  rDev +19.5%

First pour produces a nice cascade ala guiness and a thick, foamy light brown head over a black, nearly opaque bear. The aroma is sweet with a subtle roast. The taste is spot on for a porter. A nice hop bitterness to back up a sweet, full bodied porter. Nice and clean on the back of the throat. The body is thick enough and creamy from start to finish.

I would drink this any day. Japan or back in the states.
I look forward to drinking another Tokyo Black.

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

Appearance: Midnight black, even when held up to light. Beautiful, chocolate coloured head that gets whiter as it reaches the top. Gorgeous

Smell: Roast coffee and chocolate

Taste: Wow. Such complexity with such a low ABV...I'm really impressed. Initial notes of dark chocolate and espresso. Fades into roasted hazelnuts. Finishes with molasses and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth

Drinkability: This beer is simply awesome. I wish it were more widely available in Japan. I'd put this in my top 3 favorite Japanese beers, as well as my top 3 porters worldwide.

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

On Top at Club Popeye in Tokyo. Black as midnight with a huge mocha head. Truly a wondrous sight for a beer lover! Deep roasted coffee and milk chocolate aroma. Very complex flavour - layers of chocolate, first milky and sweet, then dark and bitter, followed by a creamy coffee roast. Grapefruit and caramel bring up the rear. The body is surprisingly light for the complexity of flavour, and there is little carbonation to speak of. Excellent beer, and I'm glad I brought some home!

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Black with a tan head. Some head retention, a good amount of lacing, and low-moderate carbonation (that I can see, anyway). Appropriate for the style.

Smell: Nice and complex - certainly moreso than just about any other Japanese beer that I've tried since moving here! Almondy nuttiness, in fact very nutty, some walnutty dry-but-sweet aromas in there. I'm surprising myself that I can even recognise the different nuts in there! Otherwise, that satisfying rich charred dark malt smoke smell... and maybe some stone fruit too. Pretty complex when I sit back and think about it.

Taste: So much more than your average supermarket-bought Japanese beer! Even the other dark styles like Yebisu Black etc. Malty sweetness, nutty astringency, unusually bitter hops that are very distinctive, and which I've definitely had before in some of the Wig and Pen's (Canberra, Australia) dark ales... but I'm out of practice so I can't recognise them. Not as much to back it up as I would have expected though - not a lot on the palate besides the aforesaid bitterness. A bloody good beer for Japan but nothing on similar ales I've had in the past.

Mouthfeel: Rather lacking. The beer is frothy and thick in the front of the mouth, but thin on swallowing. I suppose that's what the brewer intended - a relatively easy drinking porter to have on a lukewarm weeknight (such as tonight!). However, there is a stouty thickness to it, with a watery aftertaste (well, not exactly watery, but definitely thin) that doesn't blend well. Still, it's all right for the style.

Drinkability: I could definitely have another two or three of these, but after that I'd be wanting some lager to wash down all the thick malty astringent residue from the roof of my mouth! In fact, if these were alternated with a nice crisp pilsener or sweet malty lager, that would make for a fine night's beer drinking, and I could drink this beer throughout. Alas, a crisp pilsener is not to be found in this country, and happoushu may have to suffice!

Overall: Awesome for Japan, still quite adequate for anywhere outside England or America.

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Thick, ruddy black with a fair, nougaty coffee-stained brown head.

Smell: Rich with coffee and sweet chocolate, plus some roasty char and a fruity red bean-like quality. Hops are floral, a bit tea-like, and articulate, shining brightly through the dark malts. Deep, lush, and inviting.

Taste: Nutty and bold, full of roasty porter goodness. Sweet, slightly acrid burnt mocha malts are offset by a rindy hop bitterness. Grapefruit, grape juice, bitter caramel, and chocolate wafer cookies (think double-chocolate Oreos) abound. Finish is remarkably clean, with a light, lingering hoppy/roasty tang - think burnt hops.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, almost exceedingly so. Smooth and soft yet crisp, with a completely spotless finish.

Drinkability: It's better on cask, but the canned version is damn tasty, too. I'd expect nothing less from Yo-Ho. Maybe even more drinkable than Yona Yona, and possibly the best Japanese porter I've had.

4.68/5  rDev +24.8%

A - They got the name right with this one! It is as black as the devil's heart, with the darkest brown head I have ever seen.
S - Rich coffee and sweet charred oak.
T - Amazing depth of flavor. Elegant and long lasting bitterness.
M - How can this light body carry such depth of flavor? Minimal carbonation.
D - This is a crowd pleaser and a half!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last