Aooni India Pale Ale | Yo-Ho Brewing Company

Added by toweringpoo on 02-11-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 147
3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

Fresh can of Ao Oni, (the blue ogre). I enjoyed it the last time I had it, but I was out walking on a hot summer's night and was very thirsty, so I'll give it a fair review now that I can sit down and think about it.

Appearance: Low-moderate head retention, some scattered lacing, deep amber colour, nothing too impressive but it looks the part. Carbonation is minimal.

Smell: Doesn't give too much away, although it's fairly cold. No aggressive hoppiness or any individual characters noticeable.

Taste: Bitter on the palate, but not excessively so. Refreshing, astringent and forward, but not agressive. Hops are not fruity or anything - although this is supposed to be an IPA, there's not a lot of complexity. It has the thirst-quenching qualities of a good pilsener in summer, but when you contemplate the brew there's actually not a lot there. However, it's pleasant to drink even though the only flavour there is bitter hop acids on the palate. This is a hop-strong beer without much maltiness and with emphasis on drinkability and quenching thirst.

Mouthfeel: Dull on the tongue but astringent and slightly puckering on the palate.

Drinkability: This beer's strong point. Thirst-quenching and easily poured down the throat, with the palate numbness being virtually the only memorable vestige of the brew!

Overall: It's a humid September evening and I'm enjoying this beverage but it's not the hop onslaught I remember it to be - maybe because the first time I had it I took its appellation of "India Pale Ale" with a grain of salt. It's definitely an American-style IPA - not a lot of maltiness or sweet flavours of any kind. Still, it's better than virtually all other Japanese beers, at least the ones I've been able to get a hold of. Fair play to this brewery that's trying to diversify its creations in the harshly anti-microbrew market of Japan.

3.31/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance-Nice large head slightly with just slightly cloudy amber color. Poured a large head but it disipated quickly, I might even say a structurally unsound head.

Smell- A slightly sour hop smell, but not all that much aroma coming off the top

Taste- Alot of carbonation, I can taste a bit of the sweet malts floating in there which is interesting for an IPA, and an indistinct perhaps slightly citrusy hop dominates. Finish is a fairly indistinct. Less hoppy then I have come to expect from an IPA ( maybe in the 40s?) but has a more pronounced malt taste which is slightly intriguing.

Mouthfeel- A bit heavy on the carbonation so it feels bubbly and a bit watery in the mouth. However not to an unpleasant extent.

Drinkability- Quite drinkable, especially with the unlikely balance of malts and hops in in IPA. However, bottom line its has that mass produced watery taste so I would want to trade in for a better IPA given the chance.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Hazy, copper-gold colored brew with a dense golden-white head.

Smell: Butter, mild floral hops, malt.

Taste: Very subdued IPA. The flavors are not as up front as I am used to. Not very hoppy, but has a nice hint of pine. Slight malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Slightly oily finish.

Drinkablity: Decent yet understated IPA. With a few tweaks and a more hops this could be a good Japanese IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

I bought this beer at a Paseo depato in Utsunomiya, 281 yen (about $3.00) per can. It looked to be a Japanese version of an IPA, very cool looking can so I needed to try it.

The beer is dark yellow color and slightly hazed, with almost no head, just a thin spitty froth. The aroma is bitter smelling hops, no citrus or yeasty goods that I can tell, just an honest hops bitterness. The taste is likewise sort of one-dimensional, bitterness without the hop flavors that can make IPAs so delicious. Oh well it was worth a try, and at least it was refreshing. Easy drinking for the style but not anything I'll look for again.

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%

This is the worst beer I've had in a long time. It also marks the first IPA I've ever had that wasn't at least slightly enjoyable.
I'm pretty disappointed. I've liked pretty much everything I've had from Yo-ho brewing. This beer is a different story however. It's close to flavorless, odorless swill. The only thing it has is bitterness. Overwhelming amounts of bitterness. Absolutely no flavor. Almost like bitter water or bad homebrew.

This is so bad I question whether it's a bad batch or skunked or something. I would never have expected something this bad from Yo-ho. Sample with caution.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last