Hop Mess

From:
Casey Brewing & Blending

Colorado, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Hop MessHop Mess
Notes: Hop Mess is our new hoppy farmhouse ale brewed in collaboration with Rockslide Brewery in Grand Junction. Zorba, their head brewer, is a master of hoppy ales so he came up with an amazing hoppy ale which we took and fermented with our farmhouse culture. After months in oak, we dry hopped it with Centennial, Citra and Simcoe. It's called Hop Mess because neither of us have made anything with so many hops before. We lost a lot of beer due to the massive dry hopping at 2 pounds per barrel. Truly a hop mess.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 37 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

750 mL bottle. Hazy orange. Smells of yeast, acidity, and orange hops. Tastes of oak throughout. Bright citrus. Grain. A little bit of doughy malt. Citrus again behind the malt with a little bit of sour citrus tartness. Medium body with soft carbonation. Excellent, as always.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a 750 ml bottle (bottled August 15, 2015) to a tulip. Reviewed from notes dated May 19, 2016.

A-The beer is light golden in color and nearly clear. I can see a few bubbles of carbonation making their way up the glass. A nearly-white head starts at about one and one-half fingers in height and hangs around for a while. As the head recedes it leaves fine lacing on the glass.

S-The aroma is pretty amazing. I sniff lemon-lime tartness, pineapple, dried tropical fruits, and grapefruit. It is very vinous (especially for a hoppy beer) and not terribly funky. The oak is mellow but noticeable and the beer has a moderate acidity that ties everything together.

T-The taste follows the smell closely. Complex fruit notes and a mild tartness that remind me a lot of a sauvignon blanc. The tart flavors really last on my palate after each sip.

M-The beer is heavier in body than I expected, but it drinks well. Carbonation is fine and persistent.

O-I tried this beer right after it was released and I was not wowed, but this latest bottle was downright great. The astringent flavors that I got the first time have mellowed leaving delicious fruit behind. Lots of complexity and the acidity really works here. Good stuff that would work well with food.

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle into an oversized tulip.

Pours a hazy, unfiltered looking copper and produces a frothy, full head. Retention is off the charts. This head stays forever. A wall of lacing streaks down all sides of the glass. 4.5

Smells of zesty, sharp grapefruit and Brett, which gives it that signature (to me, at least) chalky, white wine sort of aroma. Some peppery notes and floral to round things out. 4.25

Tart and zesty grapefruit with subtle floral notes. Light funk and white wine are all over the finish. 4.25

Impressively clean feeling. Tart and dry mostly, but also juicy. Might be just a tad tarter than I desire. 4

I liked this a lot more 2 months out from the release and in the comfort of my home. Very tasty.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

what a fun beer! another excellent one from casey, the hype is real folks. i found this to be pretty dialed in and calculated for a beer named "mess". the hops profile is expert, and while the varietals used in here are certainly common, they are put together with uncommon grace here, and the resulting brew is quite special. thanks to claystation for sharing it with me. hazy pour, a little deeper in color and density than i anticipated, a foreshadowing of the malt base in here, which has to have some wheat in it, and quite a bit of body, a nice support structure for all these hops. smell and taste of the hops is simcoe and citra driven, thats for sure. these two are used in conjunction quite frequently in the craft beer world, but with the puckery sourness, they produce almost a lime and pine complexion, more robust than normal, and not bitter at all, due to the dry hopping i assume. punchy carbonation and a nice acidity keep it interesting on the feel, but it has a little more weight to it than it needs, sits a touch heavy in the belly. lemon and lime and pine needles and mature brett finish it out. an odd beer as the dry hopped wilds go, well executed but also kind of strange. i hope they keep pushing in this hoppy direction. id love to see a nelson based version of a similar beer... just saying...

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

EDIT: After having Hop Mess a couple times post-release with a little age on the bottles, it has propelled itself into my top-5 Casey beers. Downright amazing. Loads of mandarin orange, tangerine, and pineapple, and a fantastic brett character. This is unlike any other AWA I've ever had. I've adjusted my rating of the beer to reflect my last couple experiences. I had given it a 4.62 after my initial tasting (Look 4.75, Smell 4.5, Taste 4.75, Feel 4.5, Overall 4.5).

Hop Mess was interesting. Beautiful color and a huge fluffy white head. Very hoppy, lots of tropical fruit, and some good Brett character. Only a little tart. In a similar realm of Brett Loves Citra, but I like BLC more than Hop Mess at this point. Very unique and enjoyable beer though. By far the most hoppy beer Troy has made to date.

Hop Mess from Casey Brewing & Blending