The Cut: Grape - Gewürztraminer

From:
Casey Brewing & Blending

Colorado, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.61/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

one of my favorite casey beers thus far, glad we were able to snag one of these. the white grapes, whatever varietals, have long had my interest in quality wild beer, and i think the cut is a nice match for this particular grape, which i tend to associate with sweeter floral wines, and this certainly exhibits characteristics of that. hazy and heady from the bottle, little bubbles pop at the surface and accumulate. i love the nose on it, the sweet flesh and the tart skins of the grape are right there at first, beautiful with the woody funk and pale wheaty base beneath it, not stupidly complex to my nose, but appealing as can be and really different, maybe somewhat more acidic than others in the series. absolutely mouthwatering, with some lemon and bacterial notes too. the flavor is insane, i like my first sip, but as i wait to take my second, something happens where this just keeps evolving, opening up, unfolding into layer after layer of wild ale grapey lambic woody goodness, driving deeper and deeper onto my back tastebuds, the corners of my mouth, and the internal center of my tongue, its insane how long this goes, each step more puckery, mouthwatering, and intense than the last. finally after about a minute of this, i am ready for another pull. white grapes and bright white wine for sure, its real true to the fruit unsurprisingly, and it tastes great. the oak has a newer vibe to it than others, maybe its the grapes bringing it up, but to me its not as mature and heavy on the wood. the wild yeasts are awesome, this is more sour than other cuts i remember, but certainly not at the expense of a strong fruit experience. it never really finishes, and is a sensational wild ale overall, on part with anything coming over from belgium or italy right now, as good as it gets and worth the price of acquiring!

The Cut: Grape - Gewürztraminer from Casey Brewing & Blending