Atlantic Amber | New England Brewing Co.

Atlantic AmberAtlantic Amber

newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by UnionMade on 06-19-2003

3.29/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

Found a forgotten dusty six-pack of these Red and Black cans at my "liquor supermarket" in the forgotten dusty heart of Plymouth County, Mass. I've read about this beer I thought. Sure enough my 1997 copy of "The Great American Microbrewery Beer Book" by Jennifer Trainer Thompson proves I've read about it as this brew has been around (or was around) for some time. This "Amber Beer" (remember when that was considered an entire beer category?) was presented in a brown bottle with a tan label back in Bill Clinton's second term. Very Elegant looking back in those Halcyon Days (better than Red and Black cans anyway).

Appearance: These cans practically exploded when I opened them. Fizz everywhere! Huge head at first but it eventually settled down to a thin but steady canopy of froth. A dark reddish...errrr...Amber hue and cloudy as well. Inviting appearance.

Smell: Faint but steady aroma of caramel. "Something" in the background though. What is it?

Taste: The caramel quality is more pronounced in the flavor. Definitely on the malty side of the equation but not too sweet. I didn't notice the hops in the flavor but they're in there somewhere (they have to be, right?). That certain "something" is there in the aftertaste too. Just a subtle hint of butter? or butterscotch?

Mouthfeel: smooth and easily drinkable

Overall: Not a great beer but not bad either. I think this beer may be a little off as these cans are at least a year to year and a half old.

This beer won the Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 1993 in the Altbier Category (Long Trail and Otter Creek would have been in the running I'm sure). Am I drinking the same beer that won the Gold Medal? Hard to say as New England Brewery has been through so many changes in the last 10+ years.

Oddly enough, both the New England Brewing website and the 1997 book describe this beer as a Steam Beer. So, was it an Altbier or a Steam Beer? Does it matter? It was definitely unique in any case, and it is sad to see a piece of early New England microbrew...errr...craft brewing history pass on. Glad I was able to try out this piece of microbrewing history even if it wasn't in the best of shape when I sampled it.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Consumed on 1.25.11.

A: Appears a clear reddish-amber color under a nicely sustained, lightly tanned head.

S: A nice crisp and floral sweet aroma with a dominating toasted caramel malt backdrop.

M/T: There's a nicely balanced malt feel and hop presence throughout here. A solid caramel malt backbone provides for a full flavored feel right into the finish and is nicely accented with a light earthy hop note.

D: It's a shame to hear that this was retired because it's a solid brew with an overall distinguishing character that separates it form others in its category. I'm very happy I got one of the last cans in my glass and in my sense memory...

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

From notes scribbled from a recent mini-tasting.

Pours an amber/brownish color, with a lasting head. Aromas of caramel and light hops. Taste was pretty light bodied, nicely carbonated, with a God-awful metallic taste. I guess the drinkabilty would be ok if not for that metallic taste. Maybe it had gone bad? Definitely can't recommend this one; very unimpressd.

2.56/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12 ounce can at a recent tasting. Pours a clear amber, with a lasting amber head. Aromas of metal, caramel and light hops. On the palate, light bodied, fully carbonated and metallic. I was really unimpressed with this one, after enjoying the last couple NE beers I tried.

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can into a pint glass. Since this was apparently retired, I guess this is a little old. I found it in my beer fridge when cleaning the other day. I'll keep that in mind while reviewing!

Looks decent in the glass - cloudy fiery amber with touches of red and orange. Small head, even when agitated. Just a ring of foam and pretty average lacing.

Smells of caramel malt and earthy hops with just a touch of fruit (grapes, figs, and raisin). Not bad, and not a lot of oxidation if it indeed is as old as I fear. Maybe brewers are on to something with these cans ;)

This beer has held up well, but it's nothing amazing. It comes across as an earthy amber with modest hops and a focus on the bready, caramel, and mildly toasted malt. Slight bitterness from the hops, but mostly just an earthly edge. As it warms, subtle biscuit tastes emerge. A pleasant beer and packs more flavor that many 5% ambers.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of substantial, but that's fine - if it were heavier it would be bordering on old ale territory. Carbonation is moderate and adds to the experience. Overall, I'm glad I had the chance to sample this before it dissapears. But I can see why it's been retired. This beer isn't bad, but being the most average beer on the block is no accomplishment.

Atlantic Amber from New England Brewing Co.