Sea Hag IPA | New England Brewing Co.

Sea Hag IPASea Hag IPA

Style: American IPA

Also known as Sea Hag 10 Year Anniversary IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2006

Ratings: 1,720 |  Reviews: 474
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Decanted from a 12 oz (354 ml) can into a conical pint glass; production date 12/26/2017.
A: Pours a slightly hazy, light copper color with robust head formation (>1 inch), strong retention, and solid lacing. Solid means rings and rings of foamy lace all the way down.
S: Aromas of (grapefruit) citrus and pine blend nicely with the caramel maltiness. Has a clean, "walking in a winter woods" quality.
T: The taste follows the nose to a degree: caramel and piney bitterness seem a little more outsized compared to the nose, but offset each other well. Drinks extremely well with a clean finish.
M: Medium bodied with excellent retention of carbonation.
O: This is really a well designed and eminently drinkable American IPA. Somewhat ironically not a NEIPA, but who can quibble when the flavor is that good.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

When I don't know what to order at the bar this is my go to. Solid IPA, never disappoints.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%

No nose, flat initial taste, no bite.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Not sure about the long after taste

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%

I'm going on record and saying this beer is all I've ever wanted in a beer. After a 5 year adventure in the beer world I've come out the other side and declared this king... I became so engulfed in craft beer a few years back that I began home brewing and even moved to Denver to immerse myself in that world, only to miss this old girl. It's the beer I've always chased after without realizing it, it's the standard I always strived for, it's the white whale I hadn't realized I'd left at port. I've been all over looking for the best beer and it was right where I started... this is the New Haven IPA - stands apart from New England Ipa and far away from East Coast. It's indescribable how simply great this beer is, and if you're reading this now looking at a sixer of it - stop thinking and buy it. Take it home and forget about all the hype you've heard about all the other false prophets out there, for I have had them all and can say first hand - what you have in your hand is nothing short of perfection.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Full disclosure, NEBCo is one of my favorites...I've been to the brewery many times...love their vibe and their insane lineup....lucky to live (almost) close enough to make the drive when they (rarely) offer can sales.
As for Sea Hag....well, it's the one I can get at my local packy (sometimes). I'd hate to call it old-school, because it's an innovator as far as the canned beer trend goes (which I prefer)...but it isn't necessarily as hazy as some of the newer IPAs...no matter, if you haven't had Sea Hag, then you don't know IPAs.
If Sea Hag were a person, she'd be the older broad at the end of the bar, who would absolutely rock your world.
As a beer, I like it's slightly darkish color (to me, a classic NEBCo look), and it's tight lacing.
And, of course, I drink it because it's good.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.51/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sea Hag IPA from New England Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.93 out of 5 with 1,720 ratings