Sea Hag IPA | New England Brewing Co.

Sea Hag IPASea Hag IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2006

Reviews: 464 | Ratings: 1,666
1.6/5  rDev -58.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nothing fancy gold color. One finger of off white head. Lacing remains. Citrus and pine on the nose. Taste is hop forward and unspectacular. There is a doctor in every can of Sea Hag. Every time you sip it's like they take their big ass cotton swab and shove it in your mouth. Beer is thirst quenching, not reverse effect. I need a glass of water after this and I hate water. Just gross.

1.91/5  rDev -50.3%

A-dark golden with a large off-white head. some lacing

S-honestly smells like a mix of seaweed and hops, leaning more towards the seaweed. very unique, but true. medium strength.

T-comes in with really strange buttery hops. i've had buttery beers before but never a buttery IPA. in fact, the hops are very faint. this is quite bad actually. nothing about it reminds me of an IPA. has a light bitter after-taste.

M-medium carbonation with a watery finish

D-it doesn't go down too easily, the taste is just off. at least the ABV isn't higher. this is just a bad IPA. i've never had an IPA that had so many off flavors than this. i feel like i could reproduce this by melting a stick of butter and sticking it in some carbonated water.

2.53/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. Coded 70608 A2BC. Not sure if this is the canning date of the best by date? I'm afraid it is the best by date, yikes. The body pours a hazy golden/brown. Minimal head but a fine film remains.

Smell is faint but of grains. Malty sweet. No evidence of hops.

Taste was tart. Syrupy malts. Some lingering bitterness after the initial sweet opening. Almost bland.

Mouthfeel is somewhat zesty and medium bodied. I hope this is an old can because it was not impressive.

2.65/5  rDev -31%

Chilled can into a glass. A generous gift from ShogoKawada. Thanks, Phil!

A: Pours a murky, glowing sunset orange body in the glass. It is capped by a finger of off-white foam that retains quite well, leaving a few tendrils of lace down the sides of the glass.

S: Leafy, herbal, grassy; a touch of citrus. Some yeasty funk is evident, as is caramel malt. It's an interesting nose. I could easily guess that this was Noble-hopped before reading the details on the can. That aspect is well captured.

T: It's on the balanced side of things. Not too much crushing hoppiness. It does pack some hefty IBUs, which are apparent when they pull into the finish. During the main taste, they are well disguised by an arsenal of pale malt and caramel. As far as hop flavors go, it's herbal, leafy, and tea-like, with a small citrus presence. It's a nice change of pace, but the hop flavor is dominated by hop bitterness, which isn't so great.

M: Overcarbonated. I was able to swirl a lot of it out, but it is foamy in the finish, which really takes away from the flavor. I find it more bitter than flavorful, which is not to my liking.

D: It's decent, but nothing I'd revisit.

2.73/5  rDev -28.9%

12oz can poured into a shaker pint

A- Pours a cloudy/pulpy orange with alot of hop debris or break matter. A thin head fades fast leaving little lacing

S - Not much in the nose. Malty with a slight fruity hoppiness

T- A slight bitterness with a light semi sweet maltiness

M - Very light on the palate, carbonation seems about right

O - Im a little dissapointed with this brew , it drinks much more like a pale ale than an IPA. I can't see a date on the can, might be a little past its prime.

2.76/5  rDev -28.1%

Tasted from a can. Pours an orange copper with a thin white head that quickly recedes to long-lasting lace. Nose is orange and grapefruit with some malts and bread. The orange and grapefruit come through on the palate, but it is much more bitter, beginning up front, than I would have expected. The body is very thin, and the finish is rather abrupt with average carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer, but rather one note for my taste.

2.79/5  rDev -27.3%

This brew was bought by my GF last week . I think she thought that since it was in a can that it was from the Oskar Blues Brewery . She has noticed that I have been drinking out of cans insted of bottles . I am grateful that she bought me the sixer . The design on the can is of a hag with blue flames to the left and t he right of her. The can on the bottom says " drink it it's good " . There are some numbers next to the upc bar-code which maybe the numbering system for freshness . Poured into a clean pint glass the head is very small . Maybe one finger . Color is of dark apple cider , amber hues . Aromas here are different than the other IPA's , there is not a hint of citrus . To tell you the truth there is nothing that comes to mind when a deep inhale is taken . The first sip is pleasant , a tad watery and there is nice lacing on the glass . Second mouthful is fresh feeling but dry with a bit of tea flavor to it . This was a good buy from Ms. E.W. but it will not be my " go-to" when it comes to IPA's . I like the citrus flavor in IPA and this does not have it . It is an average beer .

2.79/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance-Pours a dirty/hazy tangerine into the glass, moderate head, decent retention.

Aroma-Grapefruit and lemongrassy aromas upfront, caramel malt makes its presence felt on the nose as well.

Taste-A little weak upfront with primary grassy flavors of noble hops, not what I look for in an IPA, the Cascade comes through somewhat but clashes with the noble hop flavors rather than melds, the caramel malt brings it together somewhat but this beer could definitely use some tweaking.

Mouthfeel-Medium-light and a little water, carbonation is mild as well.

Overall-I can see what this beer is trying to be and what the brewer was going for but it's just not executed all that well.

2.81/5  rDev -26.8%

A. Pours a hazy copper with a one finger creamy white head that dissipates leaving lots of residual lacing.

S. Citrus, pine, and floral hops.

T. Lots of bright sweetness with citrus flavors immediately. Then some pine flavors come in with some subtle flavors that come through on the finish - cardboard with an almost almond like nuttiness.

M. Thin to medium with a fairly high level of carbonation. While it isn't terribly thick, this beer seems to coat your tongue and keep the (for me less than desirable) flavors around longer.

D. Since there's no best by date I can't be sure of the freshness on this can, but I recognize that as a problem on the breweries fault; I have no qualms with rating an "expired" beer if the brewery can't label their beers individually.

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Light copper amber color. Nice lacing.

S: Sweet and a little bit adjuncty. No real hint of hops at all.

T: Sweet up front. Malt is there as well. No real hint of hops which is what I am looking for in an IPA.

M: Medium body. Nothing good or bad really.

D: Perhaps should not have had this after an Unearthy. Tastes like a macro pale. Maybe not following a great DIPA this would have been better.

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%

12 fl oz, poured into a pint glass in the man cave.

I'm watching the LSU-Oregon game, so I figured, why not have my self a beer or two? It's five o' clock somewhere, and it's well past five o' clock in my current location. Get your drink on!

A: Light in color, like gold, but cloudy. Minimal head produced, wheat in color, doesn't last even a minute. On to the smell.

S: Oregon just scored to take the lead. Doesn't have anything to do with the smell, but I'm rolling. I'm hoping that I have a cold (I don't), 'cause I'm not getting much out of this. Weak piny hoppiness, and not much else.

T: Eww. As a kid, I was once made to wash out my mouth with soap, as will happen if you are a school kid taught by Germans in the early 70's. That's the first sensation I get from this beer. Thanks a lot, Frau Koeninger. What follows is a hoppiness, more piny than fruity to me. This beer plays strictly offense, as I'm not tasting any maltiness at all.

M: Doesn't make my palate happy, to say the least; light-bodied, good carbonation, but now I can't get Frau Koeninger out of my head. Bitter as all get out, to say the least.

O: I can officially say now that I've had a beer from Connecticut. I'm hoping there are much better representatives from the state.

2.89/5  rDev -24.7%

Picked this up in New Haven at Amity Wine and Spirits, on the way out to Mystic and Newport. Six pack of cans and they still use the plastic rings. C'mon guys! Get with the program!

When you "crack it open" be careful as it's filled right to top of the can. It looks like almost every other IPA out there with an amber body with an orange glow. The thick white, sudsy head leaves behind some lacing, but not much.

The smell put me off a little. Despite being in a can and being fresh I couldn't help but feel that the hops weren't all that fresh. The aroma was piny, but also hints of soap. That ruined much of it for me and I knew it would effect the taste too, but how much? Did this odor come from the hops or the malts? I'm not sure what it derives from, but I know I don't like it.

The taste is an improvement, but not a huge one. The hop profile is bitter grapefruit, the bitterness of the citrus without any sweetness imparted. The malts don't do much to add any balancing sweetness either. The sense of soap is toned down, but still there.

This is the lightest-bodied IPA I've ever had. I've had pale ales that approach this thinness, but even none of those was this watery. The aftertaste really brings the bitterness and that bitter grapefruit profile with it.

I dunno, I've heard a lot about this brewery and I'm disappointed at this beer and their choice to stick with six-pack rings. I know many other breweries who year-round stuff is god-awful, but can deliver on their seasonals like few others. I hope this is one of those since I do want to see if Imperial Stout Trooper and Gandhi-Bot can live up to their hype.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Not completely transparent, slightly opaque, earthy orange in color. Very thin layer of head...the pour made me think the beer was under-carbonated. Some sparse oily lacing.

S: Sweet, fruity, citrus, candy

T: hoppy, earthy in the middle, good amount of malt on the back end, although the dominant flavor here is definitely the earthy hops.

M: Medium-low carbonation. Maybe slightly watery in consistency.

D: Comes in a can, easy to transport, so easy to drink anywhere. Probably wouldn't buy a 6 pack of this, but it's decent.

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

I was expecting more earthy complexity from this "British style IPA" but it just reminded me of the hoppy beers the American craft brew scene was making back in the late 80's/ early 90's; caramel flavors with gummy hoppy tea-like flavors that tend towards simple bitterness rather than complexity of aroma or flavor. Mouthfeel was pleasing though - medium-full body with rich malt character. While I wouldn't buy it again, I don't feel cheated either. It's just that it lacks the pizazz of modern American IPA, and didn't have the subtle complexity of the British ales. I'll probably give the rest of the six pack away to my friends.

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into my tumber from a 12fl oz can

Pours a dark copper color with a very soapy and frothy looking 3 inch head slightly off white head. Great head retention that fades very slowly and leaves behind beautiful legs.

Smell consist more of floral hops then that of your citrus kind. Very clean and fresh like hops can be smelled. Some grass and herbal earth like qualities can be detected in the smell.

For an IPA this one is dominated by malts more then hops. I got an upfront taste of slight citrus that is followed by a very dominant malt flavor of toffee and then some caramel. Slight bitterness shows up in the backbone but malts dominate(weird huh?)

Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I would be ashamed to call this an IPA. When malts dominate in a style recognized for hops(IPA)then thats a shame. Skip on this one.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

I poured this into a tapered pilsner glass from a can. There was a pretty decent amount of foam from the pour (about three fingers).

The beer looks fine. It is a little darker yellow with some haziness.

The smell is pretty minimal, the taste as well. There is some hopping. I got floral and citrus.
The bitterness on the end is excessive compared to the hopping.

I really wasn't a fan of this beer.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

Can courtasu of Hogwildliquor

Poured from a 12 oz can into an oversized snifter.
Aroma is very bready with caramel and toffee and a carmelised butter and brown sugar aroma. Not alot of hops at the knose, I'm kind of wondering about the age on this, the can had no freshness date.
There is some mild grapefruit and hempy pine aroma.
The head forms about an inch, off white. Leaving very little thin slick streaks of lace. A color of retention. The beer is a hazy pale orange.

Taste is very much the citric otange peel, like actually orange juice may have been added to the secondary. The hops still seem subdued for the style. Some mild bittering, but bready yeast is a big part of the flavor, as is caramel rolls with butter and malt. Some banana in there, with just a hint at bubblegum. I'm also curious at the yeast used.

Overal, not true to the style, but again, I have a strong feeling this is past its freshness date. Still a decent brew and drinkable. I was hoping for more hops here though.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

One of many extras in an insane box from alelovinruskie. Thanks Adam! 12oz can poured into Lost Abbey tulip. No freshness date to be found.
Lots of head on this guy. About four fingers of sticky head resting on a viscous amber cider body. Nice froth, good lace. Probably should have let this guy rest for a day or two.
Smells like white grapes, stale fruit, malted caramel barely, mushmellon, grapefruit, crayons, old hops, and macintosh apple.
Taste is clean and bitter. Resinous pine that finishes quickly that leaves a lingering bitter. watery.
Mouthfeel is appropriate.
Overall...I don't think I care for this one. It's not bad, just not impressed. Leaves me smacking my lips with confusing tastes.

2.97/5  rDev -22.7%

Single, twelve-ounce can purchased from New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street in Manhattan...
Excellent appearance - a gigantic foamy and frothy head lay atop a medium-orange, tawny colored-hue with rising carbonation...
Smell wasn't as hop-laden as I had anticipated... Very subdued and moderate to say the least...
Taste seemed strangely off-balanced and not like your typical IPA... Peculiar paint-chip, ester flavor... Wasn't enjoying this one too much... In my opinion, the best thing about this brew was the appearance...
Overall, very tart and bitter without much going on in terms of flavor...
Much better depictions of the style out there...
Wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this one...

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

12 oz can poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A-Pours a hazy golden/amber with a 1/2" off white head that fades fast and leaves moderate lace.

S-Nose isn't very prominent. Traces of pine resin and citrus and caramel malt.

T-Hints of citrus and floral hops are there, but seem watered down. A bit earthy with a slight malt backbone. Everything about this flavor just yells "average" to me, so guess thats a 3.

M-Thin and watery, low carb level.

O-A very average experience from start to finish.

Its not "bad" its just very, very average. Life is too short to waste drinking average IPAs when there is a plethora of better selections to choose from. Won't be buying this again.

Don’t really have anything nice to say about this one; it’s flaws eclipse it’s virtues. The hoppiness is rough and a bit unbalanced (even for an IPA) because the malt flavors are just too mellow (comparatively, anyway). And the mouthfeel is rather thin and watery. But, the hoppiness, despite it’s faults, is pretty sharp and crisp, and the hop flavor is fairly decent too. Plus, it’s nicely drinkable, I had no problem sucking a few down even though I wasn’t crazy about them. This beer isn’t horrible, but it probably isn’t worth your time or money. Not recommended.

Reviewed from notes

This one pours a golden yellow with a huge two fingers of sticky head. The aroma is a blast of grassy hops, with a backbone of bready and sweet malt. A hint of metallic aroma.

The taste is very well balanced, but that doesn't necessarily mean good. Pretty light on the hops, but what is there is a grassy/earthy mix. Some bready maltiness and a hint of must. The body is normal for the style but drinkability just isn't there...it is too watery for the style.

Blind #9 - 12oz can

A: Appropriate gas exchange on pulling tab. Pours a hazy copper ale with a single finger of cream foam which falls to rolling hills of the same. Spotty on cobweb lacing. (3.5)

S: Pine and fruits up front. Plenty of resiny hop character. Sweet character from the hops. Hints of apricot and apple meat. (3)

T: really, really bitter. Alcohol is present and not well guarded. The bitterness is of orange peels. There are some flavors of onion and charred beef. I’m not too sure how I feel about this. It’s hardcore. (3)

M: Medium-on-heavy bodied with high carbonation. Dry. (3)

O: I’m on the fence with this beer. I did not anticipate the level of bitterness this holds. The alcohol seems poorly approached. I would call this average. (3)

Guess: an IPA from someone - not enough malt to justify IIPA.
Reveal: Sea Hag IPA

Still not sure about this one - a bit too bitter for my preferences.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz. can from a sixer purchased in Boston. Don't see a date on the package anywhere.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange with a 1 1/2 fingers of pearly foam that dissipates quickly. Leaves a very nice lacy vail on the glass.

Aroma: Orange citrus first, then pine second. Both are pretty pungent. The malt has enough presence to make itself known, but stays in the background.

Taste: Burst of sweetness is surprising off the bat. However, this sets your tongue up for a big plunge. At first, the malt and citrus hop flavors bring bright, sweet clementines to mind, but that gets washed into a pine taste rather quickly. Bitterness is not there in the beginning, but definitely takes over and dominates.

Mouthfeel: This beer's body is not light seems a bit heavy for a single IPA. It feels oily too as it coats the mouth like lacquer.

Drinkability: This is a pretty bitter brew once you finish the whole can. There is some unique and tasty flavors in this, but the volatile ride it puts your palette through is pretty tough to endure, especially towards the end.

Overall: I can't say I don't like this beer, but it has some pretty nasty side affects. The dance between citrus and pine is somewhat unique, especially because of the role of the malt. However, I don't consider it good or great either.

A-Orange/amber color

S-More of a floral hop impression...also caramel malt...nose is more of an English IPA

T-Not one of the hoppier IPA's around....it is bitter on the finish but not extremely flavorful. Caramel malts provide body but little balance...this just doesn't have the juicy hop flavors I like in an IPA...

M-Medium bodied...creamy....finishes dry and bitter.

D-I really don't care for the pure bitterness this has. The hop flavors just don't excite me and overall this is a run of the mill IPA....certainly not bad but with so many great IPA's out there I would not reach for this one again. Slightly above average beer.

Sea Hag IPA from New England Brewing Co.