Imperial Stout Trooper | New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

Added by goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006

Ratings: 1,281 |  Reviews: 499
4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Truly a great beer, this one was difficult to find. I ordered a bottle from Publick House Provisions in Brookline, and while it's not the easiest or most common beer, it certainly was worth it.

A: Deep, fully opaque black and brown color. The bottle poured a dark, flowing stream that produced minimal head. There was a little lacing down the glass. A classic stout look.

S: Molasses, roast, some vanilla, and an aroma of alcohol reaches after a few seconds. Overall, the smell is more of roast and molasses.

T: Excellent, excellent taste. First taste is a bit alcoholly, the second, deeper one is more molasses, with an aftertaste that stays with you for some time. After a minute, I taste citrus and bitter flavors. This is a sipping beer.

M: It's good in the mouth, settles around the sides and back of the throat, you can pour it over your tongue and still taste it afterwards.

D: For having a higher alcohol content, this is quite drinkable. It's a one-beer-a-night kind of beer, so don't expect to polish off a couple in a night. Still, very smooth and easy to drink, especially considering the alcohol content.

Overall, this is an excellent beer and worth it even without the name. Since I work in a pretty nerdy environment, I expect to get a lot of complements on the beer bottle while it sits on my wall. Pair the bottle art with the name and the excellent taste, this is a beer I will be trying to get a case of next year.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

"TK-421 why aren't you at your post? TK-421 do you copy!"

Finally got my hands on a couple of these bad boys at Firehouse 12 in New Haven last night (very cool place, by the way). This is one of the best imperial stouts I've had - very original character. Lots of dark chocolate and bourbon, a little licorice. It was served a little cold for my tastes, so I didn't get a real idea of what the feel would be like at ideal temperature. Once I finished the first one, I immediately ordered another. I'll be picking up a bunch of these for sure.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A '12 vintage.

A world class example of the style. It gathers the dark fruit (cherries, dates) and gentle balanced hop qualities of Darkness, but along with a thicket chocolate and roast quality of something like Founders Imperial and Ten Fidy.

The beer drinks above its ABV with a medium plus to full mouthfeel.

4.81/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

NEBco has really been upping their game. This was truly a surprise. I stopped by the brewery to by some Coriolis cans and there was a long line because IST was released in cans. I'd never had it. So I ended up waiting in line and buying a few four packs of each beer. Later that night I had both the Coriolis and IST side by side. Upon first taste, the IST seems burnt- Like a throwaway/ drain pour stout. But don't pour it out. Wait. Let it warm a bit. Its a a beer that meant to be had in between warm and and cold. In that stout sweet spot,. I get hints of straw, apricots and cherries. I think its a damn good stout. Like a near perfect beer. I'd love to try a mescal barrel aged version if that exists. I think a bourbon BA wouln't taste right. I tip my metaphorical hat to NEBco. This is a hell of a beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of chocolate, dark roasted malts, coffee and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is exactly what you want in an RIS, rich chocolate, hearty roasted dark malts, well-masked alcohol and not overly sweet. There's a very mild hops presence that brings a good balance. There is a slightly bitter-sweet dark chocolate after-taste.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is quite clean for the style.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a well-made, flavorful and highly drinkable RIS and is one of the best that I've had in its style.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

I have had this beer a number of times on draft and from the bottle. This review is from a tasting where a couple of friends and I drank 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008. Mostly I took notes during the 2010, but each year was better than the last.

a: Looks like black coffee just poured from a keurig, you know, considering the foam that sticks around for a bit and all.

s: Really sweet and chocolatey with a smidge of bitter coffee. Personally, I'm also getting a lot of meat here, too. Kielbasa?

t: Caramel, coffee, and more chocolate. Huge taste here. After having a number of Stone IRS' the night before, I greatly prefer the huge, bold flavors you get here. The 2010 was much more balanced than the '11, but the flavors haven't completely melded yet. However, it's undeniably delicious.

m: Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Not too viscus.

o: One of my favorite imperial stouts. Enjoyed these during Episode 3, and the beers continued to get more epic as the story did the same.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Reviewed on the first day of GCF at RNH with speedwayjim and special thanks to Patrick for aging this bad boy for a year and resisting the temptation to open it.

Appearance: Jet black and brown with little head.

Smell: Dark fruits and malts with a subtle alcohol nose.

Taste: Opens with dark fruits, malts and dark chocolate which carry over into the finish. From the middle there are dark grains and an earthiness which completes the sip and a slightly alcohol finish which leaves my palate with a mildly malty, dark grain and dark chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with minimal carbonation and medium to full bodied.

Drinkability: So good I had to go back the next day to have another, definitely worth a try and I can't wait till my next chance to have this.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

A--Pours a jet black, thick as motor oil. It didn't appear like much head was going to form so I gave it a bit of a harder pour and damn near ended up overflowing the glass. Two full fingers of dark brown head, as dark as any head you will see. It sticks around for a while and leaves good lacing.

S--Smell is sweet dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, fudge

T--Oh hell yes, this is what a stout should taste like. The dark fruits take a backseat and make way for a great roasted malt profile and a bit of coffee bitterness. The flavor profile is so complex beneath the roastiness...dark fruits, vanilla, fudge, nuts, coffee, marshmallows. Similar to Speedway Stout if my memory serves me correctly, although I don't even think that the Speedway Stout was this good

M--Full bodied....thick, creamy, and chewy. This is one bad beer. Not BAD meaning BAD, but BAD meaning GOOD

D--This one has my stomach rumbling less than halfway though, but I can't stop drinking it is so tasty!

Truly a fantastic beer and I look forward to more

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a fresh growler into my newly purchased Duvel Tulip. 2010 Batch.

A- Darker than the deepest black. Decent size brown head. Sheets of lacing hold up on the glass throughout.

S- I mainly get chocolate, but also roastiness and just a touch of floral notes from the hops. The nose (like the rest of the beer) changes drastically as it warms. This is a beer to be savored with all the senses.

T- Like I noted previously, chocolate is the biggest flavor for me, but as the beer warms I get a kaleidoscope of flavors including coffee, chocolate, black licorice, dark fruits, and more. Each sip seems to reveal something different.

M- Full bodied without being ridiculously overbearing, creamy and delicious, Perhaps perfect....

D- Stupidly drinkable. Make sure you have some friends to help drink the growler or 750ml or you are gonna get drunk quick. The only downside to this beer is the empty glass at the end of it.

Had several samples at the brewery and then the growler the same night. This beer is stupendous. I was only able to split a bottle last year (while I was sick) and had a hazy memory of the beer. This years batch blew me away. Right up there with the Abyss in my mind. One of my top favorite beers ever.

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

2009 Batch #3 750ml. I love this fucking beer. It may never reach the tooldom of Dark Lord, Black Tuesday, etc. but that's only because this shit is actually drinkable not the diabetic coma inducing sludge that the tickerati soil there panties over.
Appearance is black, its a fuckin stout dummy. Thick three finger beige head that hangs out longer then Brewfan at a gay pride parade.Leaves enough lacing to make a west coast ipa jealous.
Smell is... I don't know a little coffee, a little cocoa, a little anise.The key is that it is not too much of anything.
Taste, roasted loveliness, like going down on a dark angel, little bit of dark fruit and vanilla in there too.Perfect balance.
Mouthfeel and drinkability is where this beer really shines, my mouth and throat feel like they've been ensconsed in velvet, perfect amount of body.I am halfway way through a 750 and thinking about cracking an 06 next.
Rob, feel free to use this review on the label of the next batch.Bring on the bourbon!

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.