Imperial Stout Trooper | New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2015 - 12oz can

Added by goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006

Reviews: 488 | Ratings: 1,243
4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (that was nearly frozen because my stupid self left it in my car overnight) into a standard sized pint glass (all that's available atm). Sat for about a half hour or so before drinking to let it warm up.

A-Poured thick black with a nice mocha head. Head died quickly, and not a ton of lacing. I'm guessing due to the cold. It's going to sit for a few more minutes before I drink it.

S-Great smell, but not very strong. Accidentally dipped my nose in this trying so hard to smell it. Smells of coffee, chocolate, malts and hops. Still hoping sitting in 15° temperature didn't murder this beer.

T-Excellent from what I can gather. Crazy complex. Chocolate, malts, brown sugar all hit the palate nicely. I'm thinking I'm getting more of the hops than I should be due to the still very cold temperature of the beer. I thought I let it warm up enough. Unfortunately I did not.

M-Silky smooth in the mouth. As full bodied as anything else. Some lingering aftertaste.

D-Goes down way too smooth for a RIS. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden.

This is definitely one of the best of its style and deserves the hype that it's getting, and remember, this one was not served in optimal conditions either.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from NEBCO bomber into a perfect pint glass. 2010 bottling, so aged somewhat.

Pours jet black, like oil, with thick head of brown foam. Sits a top like a foam cap. Coffee rich roasted nose. Dark chocolate too. Powerful. Smooth creamy taste, with loads of dark chocolate, hint of coffee. The bitter is buried deep in the back. Mouthfeel is quite smooth. Soft, even. Top notch. Phenominal.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at New England Brewing Tap Takeover night at New York Pizza and Pasta Co. in Plainfield, CT this past weekend.

Poured a beautiful ebony in color with a dark cream head that produced some beautiful lacing down the sides of the glass.

First whiff came up with the essensce of the roasted malts, giving off coffee/dark chocolate aroma. This is very pleasant. Noticed a slight bit of alcohol in it, not much.

Taste - I had high expectations of this one ever since I saw it come out this past year. This one met it all. Very dark and rich with it's malty flavors. Coffee taste with a nice hops bite. The hops really help mellow out this amazing stout.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, well brewed. The carbonation is on point for a stout of this stature.

Overall - I would definitely have again. What an amazing Connecticut brewed beer. Can't wait for the colder months to arrive so I can fully enjoy this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a growler and a few bottles right from the brewery. Great work on the new label, rofl.

Pours black. 1 1/2 fingers of light brown head that receded quickly to a nice ring on the edge. Lacing is sticky and spotty.

There are lots of roasted malts on the forefront of the nose. Nice hints of dark chocolate and some dark fruits too.

This is easily one of the best stouts that I've had. Great amount of malt sweetness. Roasted malts and a coffee flavor come in an bitter it up. A hint of raisins helps finish out the slightly bitter hoppiness in the end.

Full bodied, viscous, thick. Very nice feel for a stout.

The drinkability is very high. I split the growler between myself and family on Christmas. Each one that tried it, loved it. From a fellow craft beer enthusiast(brother), to a regular drinker/borderline alchoholic(father), and someone that hardly ever drinks beer(Bro's GF).. it was a hit.

2008 Vintage
Revisited: 20 Nov 2010
At Least 2 Years On This Bottle

Poured into a chalice a thick black color, some nice carbonation still, almost a one-finger creamy tan head, some oil slicks and sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, chocolate/toffee notes, roasted, slight vanilla. The taste is very nice, malty, nice touch of roastyness, and slightly vanilla (sweetness), lots of very nice chocolate/toffee notes. The finish is slightly dry, the alcohol is hidden very well. Full body. Very Drinkable, this one is stilling holding up pretty well.

2009 Vintage
22oz. Bomber

Poured into a chalice a thick black color, nice carbonation, small tan head, with some oil slicks and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, chocolate/toffee notes, roasted, slight vanilla. The taste is very nice, malty, nice touch of roastyness, and slightly vanilla (sweetness), lots of very nice chocolate/toffee notes. The finish is slightly dry, the alcohol is hidden very well. Full body. Very Drinkable, this is another awesome brew from New England Brewing. Highly Recommended.

2008 Vintage

Thanks to ybnorml for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a thick black color, nice carbonation, almost a one-finger creamy tan head, some oil slicks and sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, chocolate/toffee notes, roasted, slight vanilla. The taste is very nice, malty, nice touch of roastyness, and slightly vanilla (sweetness), lots of very nice chocolate/toffee notes. The finish is slightly dry, the alcohol is hidden very well. Full body. Very drinkable, this is another awesome brew from New England Brewing. Highly Recommended.

2006 Vintage

Thanks to TheManiacalOne, ampzilla, and UncleJimbo for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a thick black color, nice carbonation, small brown head, some oil slicks and sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, chocolate/toffee, roasted, maybe some vanilla. The taste is fabulous, malty, nice touch of roastyness, and slightly vanilla (sweetness). The finish is slightly dry, the alcohol is hidden very well. Full body. Very Drinkable, this is another awesome RIS people should seek out, Highly Recommended. Glad to have 2 more bottles left.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was about to beg a co-worker who lives in Conn to grab me some @ $12 per bottle this weekend, but found it at a local place in RI for $9. The hype is what drew me to it, plus having a friend who just had one and said it was exceptional.
I'm a star wars guy anyways, so this was a natural fit for me.

Used the Duvel Tulip for this MF'r.
Pours a light-absorbing void of blackness. Brief chunky espresso colored head. No carbonation that I can see.

Smells of bitter chocolate, burnt coffee, and something earthy, I would assume from aging it. Whiskey-bourbon alcohol smell at the end as well. This thing smells rich and delicious, I can barely contain myself.

Taste- I had it too cold on the first sip, so I let it sit for 10 minutes or so. The first sip was all burnt coffee/sugar/malt and bitter on the finish. Once I let it warm up a tad, I was blown away by this one. Chocolate up front, espresso hints, with nutty/marshwallowy tastes in there as well. I don't know the ABV of this one, but I can feel it, not taste it.

Mouthfeel is unbelievably exquisite. Creamy with a perfect amount, to my surprise, of carbonation. Not too sticky or heavy considering it's appearance.

Drinkability- This is the best RIS I have ever had in my life. I wish I had more. I have never been so taken with a beer before. Too bad the price is a bit high. Would I buy it again? YUP. I hope others get an opportunity at this one, as it is one of the best. I can only hope the KTG I have on monday lives up to the hype as this one has.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Probably the darkest beer I've ever seen...absolutely Black. Small espresso-crema head that drops and forms a collar.
Smells like figs, dates, leather and alcohol.
Very intense rich roasted malts..slightly sweet..almost smoky.
Bitter hops kick in quickly and last...not too bitter...just right. Dense ,chalky licorice , molasses,dried fruit, unsweetened dark chocolate with hints of cherry and French roast coffee. Damn this is good !
Body is heavy and carbonation is medium.

This is my new favorite RIS...too bad it's limited. First had it on cask at the Real Ale Fest.in New Haven, CT....I hesitated before buying a bottle because of the price ( $6.99 for a 12 oz.), but I don't regret it now....money well spent...hopefully there's some left that I can get and age. Nice going NEB...please make more of this ! It's just too damn good to be a one time brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

New England Brewing Company: Imperial Stout Trooper (Bottled: 2006) (Tasted 06/10/08)
12 oz. bottle: poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours opaque, pitch black with an inch-high flat mocha head that fades into a quarter inch cap. Swirling the glass leaves a solid sheet of lace along the sides.
Odor: Molasses, overripe currant and alcohol aromas up front, complimented nicely by the coffee ground, espresso and soft semi-sweet chocolate in the background. There's almost a whiff of banana in there too.
Consistency: Creamy, chewy and soft, full body. Some slight acidity, most likely from oxidation.
Taste: Molasses and rich chocolate flavors are the centerpiece of this brew, fruity esters phase in and out with an underlying mellow bitterness from the hops and roasted malt. Roasted grain becomes more evident mid-palate to balance and then blossoms into the finish, which is surprisingly clean for such a big stout. Roasted grains take hold of the palate, chocolate and coffee linger.

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2011 vintage into a teku glass

A - Pitch black with dark brown head

S - Is this stout flavored? Huge milk chocolate and roasted malts. Dark fruits, figs, even a slight cherry on the nose. Wow, is this complex!

T - Oh yeah. The dark fruits are more on the taste. Still getting the milk chocolate and espresso notes. Just great.

M - Fluffy and thick as all hell. Goes down so smooth.

O - Easily the best non-flavored and non barrel-aged RIS I've ever had. So much going on here. Feels bigger than the 8.5% abv and so robust. Will seek this out again. The force is strong with this stout.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this one at Rattle-n-Hum during NY Beer week with capra12. Served in a Brooklyn Brewery Pint Glass.

A: Poured opaque and silky with a 1/2 finger creamy caramel head. Left layered lacing to the point where I could tell how much I sipped each time I did so.

S: Dark fruit (raisins, prunes) sweet soy sauce, dark roasted chocolate, vanilla, and sugary malts.

T: Opens with raisins and sweet soy sauce and develops into a chocolate, vanilla concoction without losing the initial taste. This one just builds and builds. Ends with slightly sour malts and a deep, dark soy sauce aftertaste that lingers.

M: Viscous, silky, and deep bodied just like it should be. Almost no carbonation and really coasts the mouth with layers and layers of flavor.

D: This brew was absolutely amazing and I can't wait to have it again. Definitely worth the hype and if I have to say so myself, no question that this is on par with Dark Lord, the stuff worthy of a cult following.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this on tap over the weekend at Julians in providence RI. I wrote some notes on a napkin so bear with me. It was poured into a tulip glass with an overflowing dark brown head on top of a motor oil black.

it smelled amazing. lots of roastiness, coffee, toffee, burnt caramel, chocolate. everything you could want in a stout as each flavor was distinct yet together.

it tasted much of the same. all the flavors came through...as it warmed it got a bit roastier which was great.

The problem with this beer is that i was so good and drinkable that i could have many many more and there isnt that much to go around.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

Another mini milestone for me...not in terms of numbers of reviews, but a milestone for a huge beer from my wants list, brought to me by Knifestyles...thank you so much!

This has to be the most unique and baddest assed bottle I've seen so far...12 oz. bottle poured into my very privelaged pint glass...

Once I broke through that wax seal, little did I know what I was in store for...

Appearance on this bad boy was oh so perfect! Huge and sticky mountain of milk chocolate head with great retention. Lots of lacing and perfect legs...IST had an midnight black body with so much opacity. There were some ruby highlights around the edges, but mostly just black...so damn black!!

Lots of smoke and raspberries in the nose. There is also some bacon and coffee up front. Notes of tobacco and sweet chocolates near the back...and some moloses and leather as it warms. Very complex nose...

Damn this beer is balanced! Lots of sweet chocolates and pit fruits at the front with tons of wood and smoke to balance out the finish. It still has a sweet finish, but some hops and malts help neutralize it into a slighty balanced mixture of sweet and bitter. Oats and raisings as it warms as well...liquid happpiness!

So smooth and creamy, like the best chocolate milk imaginable...only better!

This is too drinkable...smooth and balanced with almost no alcohol showing through? This could be the death of me, lol!

This beer had everything that I could possibly ask for in a stout of any kind. I haven't had a lot of the top 100, but this is up there on my list. I will be doing all I can to aquire more of it in the future, because I want to see what it tastes like aged...this beer was definitely a journey. And a journey that I owe in part to Knifestlyes!

GREAT BEER!!

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

Vitrually black, smallest ruby brown edges. Beautiful creamy tan head with light lacing down the glass, settles to a ring within a few minutes.

Smell is quite nice with licorice or molasses up front. Dark bitter chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, hint of coffee and dark fruit. Very deep and dark.

Taste is pretty amazing. Big and rich, quite complex and something I can't get enough of. The molasses isn't quite as prevalent but still in the background. Rich, chocolate goodness along with coffee and hints of vanilla. Almost an espresso like flavor but a bit darker. Light tartness from dark fruits. Hints of bitterness from roast and hops.

Mouthfeel is lush, very creamy and full. Silky smooth and like velvet on the tongue.

Damn, I definitely enjoyed this one. If it were sold in 4-packs and I lived in the area, mine would be gone in an evening.

Big thanks to naproxen for this unbelievably delicious treat!

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer has been retired?

KHAAANNN!!!

I had two glasses of Abyss on tap today, and a bottle of this. You know what, damned if perhaps I didn't like this more.

Poured black with dark brown edges and a big cascading head. Not sure what the ABV is, but this was one of the longest lasting and best looking toppings of foam I've ever seen (nice deep tan color). Plus, the bottle is f***ing sweet.

Delicious blending of chocolate, vanilla (love that vanilla!) molasses, a bit of coffee (but not too much) and tart/roasted cherries. Just wonderful in every respect. Perfectly carbonated, great chewy mouthfeel.

Appearance thick dark viscous

Smell coffee with some vanilla notes

Moufeel full with low carbonation

Taste is great coffe and choclate flavors with some dark fruit in the background

Overall a definate step up from some more mass produced imperial stouts such as storm king, ten fidy, and old rasputin

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Got this in a trade from Ineedabeerhere. I'd been wanting to taste this for a while, so I was really glad to have this opportunity. Thanks! This beer is quite, quite good and I think lives up to the hype. I'd put it up there near the top for RISs. Pours viscous and absolutely black with a fairly thin head even after a hard pour. What head there is is chocolate brown- one of the darker I've seen. It smells nutty and quite chocolatey, with a powdery dark cocoa aroma as well as some cream, licorice, and even some spicy hops on the finish. Very nice. The taste is beautiful. Extremely smooth, almost syrupy, but only slightly sweet. Wonderful, rich cocoa notes dominate followed by some licorice notes, a touch of coffee and vanilla. Really well balanced, and very nice. A slight dustiness on the finish. Wonderful mouthfeel, that is silky and thick, and creamy but not overly sweet or unctuous. A tiny bit powdery, but to me that just heightens the interest and gives the tongue some purchase. Very, very nice and in fact perhaps a bit better than I expected.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

This one pours black as night into my Smutty Big Bieer glass. Head rises mightily so I cannot get all 12 oz in on the first pour. Once it has a chance to rest, the remaining beer hits the glass and the head diappears to all but a ring around the glass.

Aromas of dark bittersweet bakers chocolate and alcohol soaked black cherries dominate and wanr to hints of fruity espresso beans and fresh figs sauteed, add some port with a vanilla bean.

Taste is a rush over the tongue...waaves of dark roasted cocoa beans with a generous portion of sweet black cherriesand some coffee bitterness winds out the tongue. The mouth on this is quite nice as my tongue and lips feel ever coated in this wonderful elixir.

This is one dangerous brew that suites my palate quite nicely. I cannot believe how tasty and drinkable this. Not many a flaw here as I may have found my one and only tru e love. Not one characteristic is too overbearing and all of them agree with me famously....I may have to buy all that are left.

Thank you NEBC!

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

2009 Batch #3 750ml. I love this fucking beer. It may never reach the tooldom of Dark Lord, Black Tuesday, etc. but that's only because this shit is actually drinkable not the diabetic coma inducing sludge that the tickerati soil there panties over.
Appearance is black, its a fuckin stout dummy. Thick three finger beige head that hangs out longer then Brewfan at a gay pride parade.Leaves enough lacing to make a west coast ipa jealous.
Smell is... I don't know a little coffee, a little cocoa, a little anise.The key is that it is not too much of anything.
Taste, roasted loveliness, like going down on a dark angel, little bit of dark fruit and vanilla in there too.Perfect balance.
Mouthfeel and drinkability is where this beer really shines, my mouth and throat feel like they've been ensconsed in velvet, perfect amount of body.I am halfway way through a 750 and thinking about cracking an 06 next.
Rob, feel free to use this review on the label of the next batch.Bring on the bourbon!

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

A--Pours a jet black, thick as motor oil. It didn't appear like much head was going to form so I gave it a bit of a harder pour and damn near ended up overflowing the glass. Two full fingers of dark brown head, as dark as any head you will see. It sticks around for a while and leaves good lacing.

S--Smell is sweet dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, fudge

T--Oh hell yes, this is what a stout should taste like. The dark fruits take a backseat and make way for a great roasted malt profile and a bit of coffee bitterness. The flavor profile is so complex beneath the roastiness...dark fruits, vanilla, fudge, nuts, coffee, marshmallows. Similar to Speedway Stout if my memory serves me correctly, although I don't even think that the Speedway Stout was this good

M--Full bodied....thick, creamy, and chewy. This is one bad beer. Not BAD meaning BAD, but BAD meaning GOOD

D--This one has my stomach rumbling less than halfway though, but I can't stop drinking it is so tasty!

Truly a fantastic beer and I look forward to more

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a fresh growler into my newly purchased Duvel Tulip. 2010 Batch.

A- Darker than the deepest black. Decent size brown head. Sheets of lacing hold up on the glass throughout.

S- I mainly get chocolate, but also roastiness and just a touch of floral notes from the hops. The nose (like the rest of the beer) changes drastically as it warms. This is a beer to be savored with all the senses.

T- Like I noted previously, chocolate is the biggest flavor for me, but as the beer warms I get a kaleidoscope of flavors including coffee, chocolate, black licorice, dark fruits, and more. Each sip seems to reveal something different.

M- Full bodied without being ridiculously overbearing, creamy and delicious, Perhaps perfect....

D- Stupidly drinkable. Make sure you have some friends to help drink the growler or 750ml or you are gonna get drunk quick. The only downside to this beer is the empty glass at the end of it.

Had several samples at the brewery and then the growler the same night. This beer is stupendous. I was only able to split a bottle last year (while I was sick) and had a hazy memory of the beer. This years batch blew me away. Right up there with the Abyss in my mind. One of my top favorite beers ever.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of chocolate, dark roasted malts, coffee and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is exactly what you want in an RIS, rich chocolate, hearty roasted dark malts, well-masked alcohol and not overly sweet. There's a very mild hops presence that brings a good balance. There is a slightly bitter-sweet dark chocolate after-taste.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is quite clean for the style.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a well-made, flavorful and highly drinkable RIS and is one of the best that I've had in its style.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

I have had this beer a number of times on draft and from the bottle. This review is from a tasting where a couple of friends and I drank 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008. Mostly I took notes during the 2010, but each year was better than the last.

a: Looks like black coffee just poured from a keurig, you know, considering the foam that sticks around for a bit and all.

s: Really sweet and chocolatey with a smidge of bitter coffee. Personally, I'm also getting a lot of meat here, too. Kielbasa?

t: Caramel, coffee, and more chocolate. Huge taste here. After having a number of Stone IRS' the night before, I greatly prefer the huge, bold flavors you get here. The 2010 was much more balanced than the '11, but the flavors haven't completely melded yet. However, it's undeniably delicious.

m: Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Not too viscus.

o: One of my favorite imperial stouts. Enjoyed these during Episode 3, and the beers continued to get more epic as the story did the same.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Reviewed on the first day of GCF at RNH with speedwayjim and special thanks to Patrick for aging this bad boy for a year and resisting the temptation to open it.

Appearance: Jet black and brown with little head.

Smell: Dark fruits and malts with a subtle alcohol nose.

Taste: Opens with dark fruits, malts and dark chocolate which carry over into the finish. From the middle there are dark grains and an earthiness which completes the sip and a slightly alcohol finish which leaves my palate with a mildly malty, dark grain and dark chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with minimal carbonation and medium to full bodied.

Drinkability: So good I had to go back the next day to have another, definitely worth a try and I can't wait till my next chance to have this.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A '12 vintage.

A world class example of the style. It gathers the dark fruit (cherries, dates) and gentle balanced hop qualities of Darkness, but along with a thicket chocolate and roast quality of something like Founders Imperial and Ten Fidy.

The beer drinks above its ABV with a medium plus to full mouthfeel.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Truly a great beer, this one was difficult to find. I ordered a bottle from Publick House Provisions in Brookline, and while it's not the easiest or most common beer, it certainly was worth it.

A: Deep, fully opaque black and brown color. The bottle poured a dark, flowing stream that produced minimal head. There was a little lacing down the glass. A classic stout look.

S: Molasses, roast, some vanilla, and an aroma of alcohol reaches after a few seconds. Overall, the smell is more of roast and molasses.

T: Excellent, excellent taste. First taste is a bit alcoholly, the second, deeper one is more molasses, with an aftertaste that stays with you for some time. After a minute, I taste citrus and bitter flavors. This is a sipping beer.

M: It's good in the mouth, settles around the sides and back of the throat, you can pour it over your tongue and still taste it afterwards.

D: For having a higher alcohol content, this is quite drinkable. It's a one-beer-a-night kind of beer, so don't expect to polish off a couple in a night. Still, very smooth and easy to drink, especially considering the alcohol content.

Overall, this is an excellent beer and worth it even without the name. Since I work in a pretty nerdy environment, I expect to get a lot of complements on the beer bottle while it sits on my wall. Pair the bottle art with the name and the excellent taste, this is a beer I will be trying to get a case of next year.

Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.