Imperial Stout Trooper | New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2015 - 12oz can

Added by goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006

Reviews: 488 | Ratings: 1,245
4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a growler and a few bottles right from the brewery. Great work on the new label, rofl.

Pours black. 1 1/2 fingers of light brown head that receded quickly to a nice ring on the edge. Lacing is sticky and spotty.

There are lots of roasted malts on the forefront of the nose. Nice hints of dark chocolate and some dark fruits too.

This is easily one of the best stouts that I've had. Great amount of malt sweetness. Roasted malts and a coffee flavor come in an bitter it up. A hint of raisins helps finish out the slightly bitter hoppiness in the end.

Full bodied, viscous, thick. Very nice feel for a stout.

The drinkability is very high. I split the growler between myself and family on Christmas. Each one that tried it, loved it. From a fellow craft beer enthusiast(brother), to a regular drinker/borderline alchoholic(father), and someone that hardly ever drinks beer(Bro's GF).. it was a hit.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

From a great looking bottle pours an amazing looking beer-possibly the best I've seen yet--pitch black, with a dark brown sugar head that fills the glass from a syrupy pour at cellar temperature. Amazing. Hoppy aromas, definite roast and sweet malts detected...
taste is dark, sweet, very gonzo-imperial-porter-like in flavor, but a strange aftertaste is detected, possibly recognizable due to the temperature. Continued sipping made this less and less noticeable. Very tasty otherwise, sweet and semi-smooth with some charred taste, very complex...bitter chocolate and an explosion of flavors.. Not overly hoppy, multiple hop types going on here for sure...hard to pinpoint, some citrus and floral notes. Mouthfeel is full but not overkill. Not an alcobomb but very warming, this beer is especially good for style, not my favorite, but glad I snagged some and am hoping to see it offered again. Nicely done NEBco.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Drank before the Superbowl, shared with two. Poured to snifter. 2009 750ml bottle.

A: Dark DARK brown almost pitch black with a 1 cm dirty brown head. Some lacing as the glass empties.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Big malt backbone on this.

T: Similar to smell. Very smooth, roasty and coffee like. I'm surprised at how smooth it is. Nice dark chocolate notes, but subtle.

M: Relatively low carbonation but appropriate. I'd say medium bodied over full bodied. Partially this may be due to the drinkability. Easy going.

D: Highly drinkable. I do not think this is best stout I've had but it's way up there. I enjoyed it a lot and it is exquisitely drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Growler bought from the brewery and poured into a pint glass

A - Looks thick and syrupy as it was poured into the glass and is black, such that no light shines through.

S - Some coffee and chocolate aroma, with also some detectable maltiness.

T - Big sweet, roasted flavor, with coffee and chocolate.

M - heavy body and thick, but also pleasantly carbonated so it feels slightly creamy when swished in the mouth.

O - Delicious brew, big sweetness and flavor cover up the alcohol in this very well, with very little if any booziness detected.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Rare finds like this makes beer hunting so fun...
11/03/2007

Poured half into snifter. It is dark and slick.
The aroma is outstanding. Chocolate...lots of chocolate. Hints of coffee, maybe a bit of peat, vanilla. Each sniff brings out something new.

It took me a while to taste. After the find, the appearance, the smell...what if I was disappointed in the taste. It happens.
I wasn't disappointed. It is simply and delicious if you just drink. Lots of chocolate goodness. It is complex and delicious if you choose to experience it. Chocolate, coffee, hops, creamy, malt.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

This was decent Stout, dry finish, notes of toffee, and dark goodness.

Obviously why this beer was given to the "Dark Side," Unfortunately this beer won't be around much longer, production of this beer is at a halt due to copyright infringement.

It's too bad, this beer is good too.

A good Star Wars Memorabilia too.

Pours midnight black, some head, some lacing. Robust aroma, and smooth body.

I'm keeping my extra bottle around for a while.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with a thick creamy hazelnut head.  Looks wonderful.  The head mostly dissipates to big bubbles centered in the glass... This looks like a cappuccino.

Lots of roasted malt, coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and maybe a touch of licorice.  The nose is very nice, but a bit subdued.

Taste follows the nose.  Roasted malt, coffee, cream, dark chocolate, milk chocolate.  It's almost like a strong cappuccino mixed with milk chocolate.  Finishes with licorice and mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is awesome.  Thick, creamy, and velvety smooth.  Probably the creamiest stout I've had out of a bottle.  Nice carbonation cuts through.

I've had IST only on a few other occasions, and those were the 2010 vintage.  I don't remember being this impressed.  This is a very solid stout.  The flavors are just right and the mouthfeel is killer.  Best non-barrel aged stout I've had in a while.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours an opaque deep black with a quarter inch of dark creamy tan head with good retention of lacing. Aroma is of coffee, roasted nuts, barley, some vanilla, and slightly earthy. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy. Taste is of coffee, oats, roasted nuts, vanilla, some chocolate, and slight booziness. Overall, a very tasty rich stout.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 7, courtesy of ShogoKawada.

A - Super black, with a mocha-colored head which drops kinda quickly, but leaves a persistent film and pretty good lacing.

S - Sweet plums and raisins, brown sugar, and a touch of sharp molasses. There's a little something more, but I can't place it. Could it be chilis? Not sure. Regardless, I really like it.

T - This is tough to describe. It's rather sweet, with plums and raisins and such, with just a little roastiness, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there's just a little bit of chili in the aftertaste... but there's so much else in the flavor that I just can't put into words. Part of it reminds me of that slight twinge of sourness in baltic porters. Quite tasty.

M - Full, thick, smooth, lowish carbonation. Almost no hint of alcohol.

Overall, I like this a whole lot, but I have no idea what it is. An imperial stout, obviously, but beyond that I haven't a clue. It has something else going on in there that I haven't been able to place and which brings in a whole bunch of flavor.

Non-blind comments: This was vintage 2011

2.82/5  rDev -32.7%

Perhaps it was the true geek in me that made me want to try this beer. An Imperial Storm Trooper to vouch for the delectable nature of the Dark Side via a Russian Imperial Stout? How interesting... "Brewed in a brewery not to far away and not too long ago..." 2010's bottle cracked and shared amongst three friends and poured into brandy snifters...

The dark side of the force is strong with this one. Jet black and impervious to light. A billowing chocolate head rises and lingers as if to mock the very alcohol that tries to bring it down. Fairly viscous, lacing clings to the glass with hues reminiscent of cocoa mixed with cayenne powder. Truly, the appearance of this beverage of the Sith is a beautiful thing indeed.

No bouquet arises from the pour itself and a formidable inhalation only brings up a conservative aroma. Were they paying by the laser here? A bit of baker's chocolate takes center with a slight touch of roast and dark sweet malt. Plenty of carbonation but the beer almost smells like it could be flat. This beautiful head speaks otherwise though. The nose is simple and unimpressive.

First taste is a touch of smoke that hides at the very tip of my tongue. Baker's chocolate fills my mouth with a silkiness that is very pleasant. Full bodied but without accentuating taste. Bitter chocolate is, inevitably, the majority vote of what this beer is and can be. Earthy hops play into and hide amongst the mediocrity. Perhaps with enough Jedi meditation I could find a faint trace of licorice, but the taste is not pronounced by any means. Not much going on here... You've failed me for the last time, Admiral.

An alright beer overall but nothing close to great. Two of the three of us drank very slowly as if dreading the next drop. Perhaps the Dark Side of the Force is still strong in this one; Forcefully keeping us at bay so that others may drink this beer instead...

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

On top of being one of the coolest bottles out there, this is by far the best beer I have had in many many months and I trully hope t hat New England comes out with this one again. Pours a deep creamy think ungodly black beer with just the right amount of head. The maltiness is delicious and you can not taste any alcohol. At $7 a bottle is is a little expensive however after having one I feel I got a bargain, George Lucas be dammned.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

A-Very dark body with dark brown heavy head.

S-Earthy roasted smell with hints of coffee.

T-Surpisngly hoppy and bitter. Pretty smooth taste through out. Nice coffee roasted taste

M-Actually pretty easy to drink, sits light for the style with medium carbonation.

O-Very good beer. Well made and extremely drinkable. Only issue is the fact that its not that innovative. But would love to have it again.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Justin my tattoo artist for this one!

The pour was an opaque deep dark brown and somewhat syrupy. It seems most people had better head retention than I did. There was some minimal lacing. It looks good.

The smell was pretty on par with what I was expecting. There were some chocolate and caramel notes. I even noticed a slight dark fruit smell.

The taste was pretty damn good. With all of the hype I was afraid the beer might have been a little bit of a letdown. The caramel and chocolate were what hit me the most. The hops were there but I found them slightly subdued. With the light carbonation this added to the high drinkability. I had to remind myself this would not be easy to get again (if at all!) so I slowed down my pace and tried to savor it as best I could. It was a little watery for an imperial stout. But it works.

I only caught a slight hint of alcohol in the aftetaste. This surprised me. Perhaps this was aged for a little bit.

In the end it lived up to the hype. I enjoyed it for what it was. Not to mention it might have one of the best labels I have ever seen on a beer.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was presented with a bottle this weekend, apparently this is no longer brewed and finding any stragglers is a task. Anywho, I was impressed right off the bat with the extreme blackness of this beer, even the milky head was the darkest brown ive seen. Absolutely delicious and dark, I almost felt like I was chewing at some points but I like that in an Imperial Stout. +10 points for the label.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

2011.

A- Pours blackish with a nice 1 and a half finger light brown/brown head into my snifter. Leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S- This beer has a very heavy raspberry/cassis/cherry component mixed with roasted coffee. It smells a bit tart due to the fruity/berry like notes. Just a touch of dark chocolate and astringency in the nose as well.

T- The raspberry/cassis/cherry from the nose translates into the taste as well. A bit tart. Loads of burnt coffee and a little dark chocolate. The chocolate and roasted character comes out a bit more as it warms, but the big players here are the fruits and coffee. A bit astringent and maybe a little disjointed, but there are some nice flavors here.

M- Full bodied beer, not the smoothest beer out there though.

O- I was happy when my buddy brought this up to me for my birthday last night. It was nice to check this one off the list. A nice stout. I would not buy this, but if someone offered me some I would certainly drink it again. There are better stouts out there, especially with the price/availability factored in.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

One of the coolest bottles I've ever seen. Up-close view of a Storm Trooper face with Imperial Stout Trooper in "Star Wars" font. White plastic over the cap and neck with a gold foil embossment of some sort on the cap.

Poured into my DFH over-sized brandy type snifter. Great glass for a beer with such a nose.

Jet black body with a toffee colored head with little retention. Minimal lacing, but what is there, stays around for the life of the beer. This is like 10W40 after about 20k miles. Yeah, that dark.

Essense of drunken figs and dates, a bit of a hoppiness in the background, but much sweet maltiness.

Burnt coffee, light caramel and quite malty on the tongue. Rich and luscious. Not as big as a BBCS, but smoother and way more drinkable. Dangerously so. I really have to stop myself from engulfing full mouthfuls.
Medium full, VERY smooth mouthfeel with minimal carbonation

This his how I like my RIS's. It's a shame that this is so limited. Ranks up there.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

Pours an opaque black with a dark brown head that quickly dies down to small foam & bubbles. It is certainly robust in appearance.

Smell is of dark roasted coffee, combined with a toffee sweetness. Very nice.

Taste is well balanced, leading with a strong, dry dark roast flavor that only very gradually fades to a mild sweetness. Finish is slightly bitter.

Feel is very smooth and creamy. Easily the best of any stout I have had, and surpassing even the excellent Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary version from last year.

Being as I have little perception of the alcohol contained inside, I consider it very drinkable, although I generally prefer more alcohol presence on a beer of this ABV.

Best part is that it is a strong showing from a local brewery, worthy of comparison with other big stouts out there.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (that was nearly frozen because my stupid self left it in my car overnight) into a standard sized pint glass (all that's available atm). Sat for about a half hour or so before drinking to let it warm up.

A-Poured thick black with a nice mocha head. Head died quickly, and not a ton of lacing. I'm guessing due to the cold. It's going to sit for a few more minutes before I drink it.

S-Great smell, but not very strong. Accidentally dipped my nose in this trying so hard to smell it. Smells of coffee, chocolate, malts and hops. Still hoping sitting in 15° temperature didn't murder this beer.

T-Excellent from what I can gather. Crazy complex. Chocolate, malts, brown sugar all hit the palate nicely. I'm thinking I'm getting more of the hops than I should be due to the still very cold temperature of the beer. I thought I let it warm up enough. Unfortunately I did not.

M-Silky smooth in the mouth. As full bodied as anything else. Some lingering aftertaste.

D-Goes down way too smooth for a RIS. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden.

This is definitely one of the best of its style and deserves the hype that it's getting, and remember, this one was not served in optimal conditions either.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Had an '08 an '09 side by side, but the '08 was starting to turn a little with a bit of a sour kick (noticed in multiple aged bottles), so this is a review of the '09. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours black with a 2-finger dark mocha head.

S- Bitter coffee, roasted malts, chocolate and a slight chemically smell.

T- A bit of booze, bitter chocolate, a bit roasty and a slightly astringent/drying/chemically flavor (not too noticeable though.)

MF- A bit over-carbonated for the style in my opinion and slightly thin.

D- Pretty drinkable for an RIS, but not one of the bigger ones at only 8.5%, but the booze isn't too bad in the finish.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

was in a local packe,looking at the stock figuring out what I wanted with nothing coming to mind. Out of the right corner of my eye a spotted some odd beers, a look closer it was a pile of beers from Spain, they intrigued me until I saw what was behind them, the Trooper! it was the only one! I hadnt seen these anywhere and knowing it was out of production I know I had to grab it, despite the price tag.
12oz bottle poured in a pint glass. The pour was heavy, it revealed a rich, dark obsidian body with a creamy, 1 finger brunneous head. Head retreated steadily over time, leaving hardy amounts of lacing.
Smell was of rich toasty malts, sweet molasses, anise, coffee and coco.
Taste was a rich malty molasses and licorice flavor with notes of dark chocolate, roasted coffee and earthy hops.
Mouthfeel was thick, this is a full bodied brew with a light amount of carbonation.
Overall a very good beer though very overpriced at almost 8 bucks, having said that it's a tasty treat worth trying and is surprising easy to put down for the abv.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- thick black oil coming out of the bottle. Looks like there's no way it can produce foam, but after the pour gets going a beautiful, thick head of light brown foam builds. It recedes and leaves fantastic sticky lacing all over the glass

S- Copious dark fruit and roasty aromas. Plums, raisins, licorice, anise, burnt toast, a touch of smoke. Really dark and foreboding.

T/M- starts with waves of dark fruit, licorice and anise- followed mid palate by huge roasty and toasted malt flavors. Bitter coffee and bitter sweet chocolate mingle with tart cherry and anise. everything comes through in a flurry on the finish with a smattering of citrus hops to dry it all out

O- In the mold of a true RIS with the influences of american double stout, a fantastic must try.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

"TK-421 why aren't you at your post? TK-421 do you copy!"

Finally got my hands on a couple of these bad boys at Firehouse 12 in New Haven last night (very cool place, by the way). This is one of the best imperial stouts I've had - very original character. Lots of dark chocolate and bourbon, a little licorice. It was served a little cold for my tastes, so I didn't get a real idea of what the feel would be like at ideal temperature. Once I finished the first one, I immediately ordered another. I'll be picking up a bunch of these for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Vintage 2010

A - Pours Mud brown when held up to the light, with a thick tan two finger head that leaves a thin layer across the top as its foams down.

S - Alcohol, chocolate, coffee.

T - Chocolate, coffee, some fusel alcohol, a hint of dark fruits and vanilla.

M - Medium Body

D - I liked it but one glass was enough

Okay being born in New Haven and an area resident I couldn't wait to try this when it came out. I immediately dismissed anything coming from this brewery as CT is not known as a state that produces great beer. I couldn't help but notice all the hype surrounding this beer and very grateful to have this gem in my backyard. I will make a long story short.... Did it live up to the hype??? Was it really as good as everyone said it would be??? The answer is a resounding "YES!!"... I think it is absolutely fantastic!

Appearance - Poured into a tulip glass and got to see the color is jet black... almost purple..

Smell - Wow the smell is great. Not an overwhelming alcohol smell at all. Very nice!

Taste - Okay this is one of the greatest stouts I've had. Cannot believe this year it is 9.3% abv because the alcohol is very well hidden! can't taste it at all. Great
Taste!

Mouthfeel - I can only reiterate how great this tasted. Not overwhelming. I love founders breakfast stout and I was amazed that I think this beats it. It is not a problem to swish this around in your mouth it is delicious.

Drinkability - This stuff is dangerous. I could drink this on a hot summer day and the high abv make it something you don't want to drink too much of.

Very well done New England! I can't believe a beer this good is brewed so close to me! You deserve serious kudos for creating this fabulous stout!

4.65/5  rDev +11%

This is a great beer and probably the best stout if not one of from the East coast. Smooth drinkability and almost chocolate milk like at times. This has great chocolate malty balance the blends perfectly with other grains in this beer to deliver a pleasurable drinking experience. I can't get past how creamy this beer is and is without a doubt one of the better stouts I have had the pleasure to have tried. Awesome! Highly recommend..

Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.