Wet Willy Scotch Ale | New England Brewing Co.

Wet Willy Scotch AleWet Willy Scotch Ale

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2008

2.18/5  rDev -44.5%

Thanks to biglobo8971 for the trade & almost simultaneously, to jmu500 for dropping this in as an extra. A sudden embarrasment of riches. I hope. We're about to find out. 500ML bottle, dated 2010.

Kudos to New England for the easy-remove foil thingee on the top; removed without issue or personal injury. Nice creepy guy in the artwork. Pour is paler than expected, like a faded Florida orange. Maybe it's just the typing, but there's an orange odor coming off the beer, too, along with earthiness. Not a lot going on.

Wet Willy gives off a first blush of being - thin. Not Heather Locklear thin, but Kate Moss thin (sorry, my frame of reference is showing, I'll pull that up). Watery. There's thin caramel, thin toffee...well, there's not much. Did I mention the mouthfeel is thin? That's really wrecking this one for me. If I could knock that score into negative territory, I would.

Really? This is the third disappointment of the night. Thin, dull, simple. I'd rather have a beer knock me for a loop in a daredevil attempt at somthing rather than this. Boring, I am sorry to report.

2.47/5  rDev -37.2%

Brown and hazy, not a lot of head or lacing.

Sweet, fruity, malty smelling, with a little toffee.

Taste is so-so. Very malty with some fruits and a tinge of alcohol. A bit of an unpleasant pungent, moldy cellar flavor is somewhat off-putting.

Feel is slick and thin, not what I was expecting for a scotch ale.

Not an especially good beer. They need to tweak this recipe some.

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Pours out a cloudy, downright murky brew, tannish-brown in color, and with no real head formation beyond a small smattering of suds. Not the most attractive-looking beer around, particularly for a scotch ale.

Smell: An immediate sniff of ethanol followed by an earthy, yeasty uncleanness, a drizzle of cane sugar syrup, and hint of green peppercorns. Somewhat troubling, really. We will probably never know just what mischief that Wet Willy was up to.

Taste: Willy jumps to a high level of sweetness and already the alcohol content is quite apparent, even hot. Flavor of simple syrup dumped on bread crumbs and crushed graham crackers. Curious taste of raw wood. Slight spicy phenolics underneath. Clotted yeast. Drying, alcohol heated finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-low carbonation.

Overall: Yeesh. Just an odd, odd brew, though not ever in an enjoyable sense and certainly nothing I would ever identify as a scotch ale.

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

Thanks to Draught2012 for providing this in one of our trades. Excellent trading partner.

Two fingers of off white head that begins to fade immediately. The beer is a touch lighter in color than I had imagined. Still it is a deep amber color with some orange tones.

Aroma is a mix of medicine, alcohol and something trying to be sweet. But it's not sweet. (in the aroma.. We'll come back to this)

Wow, much sweeter than the aroma indicates. Have to be honest, I do not really enjoy this flavor. Ultra sweet. Molasses maybe, honey, and some medicine flavor that matches the aroma. Some heat from the alcohol. Not HOT, but it's there. Finishes quickly.

Thick, syrup like body, very little carbonation.

Not too drinkable in my book. I am surprised by the high scores here to be honest.

2.57/5  rDev -34.6%

Reviewing the Wet Willy Scotch Ale from New England Brewing Company out of Massachusetts.
Score: 65

Fall 2011 vintage bottle with code "7283 B-22227" printed on the bottom of the bottle. Served in a Stella Artois chalice and enjoyed on 04/24/12.

Appearance: Pours a dark brownish red color. Translucent. Thin layer of head at pour settles to a pencil thin bubbly ring around the glass. Lots of bubbles and a little sediment floating around. Minimal lacing, poor retention. 3/5

Smell: Brown sugar, bready malt, sweet caramel, and a little vanilla cream soda. Modest amount of fig too. Light boozy heat. 3.75/5

Taste: Lots of bready malt and malty caramel upfront. Lots of carbonation. Brown sugar too. Incredibly sweet, not very balanced in flavor. Has a super sweet vanilla creamy soda finish. Could not finish drinking the beer, it was so malty sweet. Alcohol well-hidden, however. 2/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, too much carbonation. Slick mouthfeel. Very sweet. 2.5/5

Overall: Overly malty sweet beer with too much carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well if you can stomach the maltiness. This is easily the least balanced scotch ale that I have had to date.

Recommendation: Skip this beer.

Pairings: Pistachio nuts.

Cost: $7.99 for a four pack

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%

Thanks codysjb for the bottle.

The appearance was off-putting. This was poured into a wide mug and produced no head. Saw no carbonation around the glass. The color looked just like apple cider.

The smell was also uninviting. I just got some sour notes. Nothing else, probably due to the total lack of head.

The taste was all this brew had to offer. It was slightly hot, with some hints of caramel.

The feel was light to medium. No carbonation was felt.

I did not enjoy this beer. I think I'm being generous with a 3.0 overall rating, but at the same time I don't think it's bad. Should I ever see this on tap, I'll give it another try.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy nectarine hue - rosy at the heart with orange and amber highlights. Slim sudsy white head, minor lacing. Beautiful.

Smell -- Grainy with toated malt and caramelized malt, macerated drupes, and earthy/leafy hops. Certainly malty, but more husky grain and fruity ester than caramel.

Taste -- Husky toasted grain, faint caramel, plums and peaches, and lots of earthy/leafy bitterness. Alcohol presence is quite apparent and slightly solvent-like. The more I drink this, the more it tastes like peach-infused vodka and flat tonic water.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full bodied, slick and chewy, with moderate carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- This was a letdown. Very peculiar with the heavy fruit esters and leafy bitterness - again, my mind conjures up peach vodka and flat tonic water. If you gave me this beer and asked me to guess what it was, I certainly wouldn't have guessed Scotch Ale. Not enough of that classic caramelized malt character that typifies the style. Didn't hate it, but I don't see myself reaching for more.

2.95/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

'11 vintage, extra'ed to me in a trade recently.

Pours fairly still, with a little bit of fizz on top, and no lacing. Looks kind of watery.

Smells weirdly flat, some caramel, toffee, but also booze, and some mild oxidation.

The oxidation feel gets much stronger in the flavor. There's a bitter flat cardboard flavor, and astringent alcohol that gets stronger as it warms up further. Beyond those distracting opening flavors, I also get some caramel, toffee, and peaty smokiness. But those flavors are flat and don't feature strongly enough. It's way too sweet, cloying even, and just doesn't work. I'm sure fresh that this one is much nicer.

It's sweet and syrupy, mouthfeel-wise, with a medium body, but it's a little thin for a beer of it's style and ABV. There's barely any carbonation.

This one is just too old. It hasn't held up well.

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

No bottle date. 550 ml bottlePoured into a tulip.

Smell is rich sherry alcohol with a bit of vanilla and must.

Fusel alcohol dominates the palate. A bit of unripe tangerines and medicinal cherries. A leafy, earthy, oily, leathery bitterness rides along with the alcohol. Alcohol lingers with a bit of smoke and wood...

This was really disappointing after seeing what a high average this beer was getting. This really really fails as a scotch ale and is just ok as a...old ale maybe? It drinks more like an old ale with the musty, leathery, earthiness. None of the classic toasty, caramelized malt, which is quintessential scotch ale, is allowed to shine through at all- and what little fruitiness comes through is weak and unappealing.

Big letdown and I still can't seem to find an American brewery who can nail this style like the country of its origin...

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

3.22/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a deep reddish amber with copper colored highlights. Has a thin white head that dissipates almost immediately, leaving a thin ring that holds throughout and displays excellent lacing.

A sweet aroma, but a bit on the weak side. Solid notes of dark fruits, roasted malts, and oak, with hints of caramel and yeast.

Taste is a lot stronger, and quite different, than what the smell indicates. Heavy flavors of scotch and malts predominate, with flavors of vanilla and fruit in the finish. There is a strong alcohol presence, but not so much that you would call it a bite.

Medium in body, light in carbonation. Initial feel is harsh, but it does finish smooth. Good carbonation level, and it lingers on the palate just long enough.

Reasonably tasty, but very strong both in flavor and in alcohol content. Not the best example of its style, but if there are no other Scotch Ales available, you won't be too disappointed.

3.3/5  rDev -16%

Poured from 500ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours medium reddish amber with touches white foam. All malt smell. Malt taste open, peaty with a lingering back hop. Whiskey backed taste. Smooth. Earthy. Flavorful. Modestly drinkable, alcohol wallop.

I liked it, but not nearly as much as the other reviewers.

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a hazy dark copper/chestnut brown with deep golden orange/ruby hues when held to a light source and 1.5 finger frothy off-white head that slowly fades into a lasting cap which leaves sporadic splotches of lacing.

Slightly smokey caramel malt aroma with hints of hazelnut, honey, molasses, caramel candy, butterscotch, toffee and biscuit. Subtle ops also make an appearance but this smells just like a piece of caramel candy.

Medium bodied with a slight touch of smokiness as well as a strong spicy and hop forward flavor. Oily, buttery body with some caramel malt, caramel candy, butterscotch, toffee and butter. I guess this is what's called diacetyl. Very different but not my thing.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

I got this bottle from a friend who lives up in the north east. I've been impressed with most of their beers I've had. In fact, I can't recall a beer I've had from them that I wouldn't have again. This one however just might be the first one.

This beer pours with a small head on the beer. It is about one finger's worth of head and quickly dissipates. The color is a light brown and really hazy. In fact you can see a lot of tannins in the beer. I am not sure what I am looking at but it's not something I mind at all.

The aroma is a sweet brown sugar smell. I get hints of fig and what I can only call a bready character. My first taste and I get the very sweet malty character present in the beer. Also present is a bread like character, almost like bread pudding. I can detect hints of a sweet apple taste but it's subtle. Notice, how I use sweet a lot? This is definitely a sweet beer. The after taste is dry with a hot alcohol character. It leaves me with an interesting after taste.

This isn't a bad beer at all. In fact I know a lot of people that would absolutely enjoy this beer. However, it is a young beer. It reminds me of a mild 120 min IPA. I did enjoy this beer but I am not sure I would drink it again unless it was aged a couple of years.

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%

Caramel and ruby colored with a beige head that settles out quickly. Very low aroma of caramel and metallic note. Flavors of caramel and toffee, some vanilla, a bit woody, maltiness is offset with firm bitterness. Finishes with some grassy hop notes and mild phenols. Mouthfeel is a tad slick, but finishes tingly, slight warming of the cheeks. Tasty beer, but not too complex, was expecting more.

Wet Willy Scotch Ale from New England Brewing Co.