Alpha Weizen | New England Brewing Co.

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Added by naproxen on 07-23-2009

1.71/5  rDev -56.8%

Reviewed on 8/17/09. Growler from Big Z Beverage. Pours a cloudy yellow with a small white head. Aroma of dicaetyl, maybe some light wheat but dominated by diacetyl. Flavor of clove upfront and more diacetyl with a minerally finish. This is a big mess for me. There are no redeeming qualities to this beer (I don't even want to drink it on a 90+ degree summer day). I'm very disappointed (the previous ratings tricked me into thinking this was a good beer but I should have known, this coming from New England). This is a flawed beer. Drainpour...

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

One of my least favorite styles of beer. It's a shame that so many American brewers call their pale american wheat ales hefeweizens. A hefeweizen is something delicious and special, whereas American Pale Wheat Ales tend to be plain bad. I'm trying this one because I love New England Brewing Co., they brew good beer and the guys that run the place a really great people. I'm going to try to put aside my hatred for this style of beer and rate this to style (or at least with an open mind).

A: Pale yellow. Very straw like. The head is billowing and leaves some lacing on the glass as it goes down. The bubbles in the head look too big however.

S: Very hoppy. They told me at the brewery that they've made this beer hoppier each time they've brewed it. Although nowhere as good as Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse, it is the only other wheat beer I can think of with this much hop scent.

T: Like the smell the hops dominate. True to style it lacks the banana and clove of a true German hefeweizen. Nothing about the taste makes this a very special beer. The yeast tastes all wrong. It tastes like the other beers from NEBco, but not in a good way.

M: The carbonation is high, but feels too sharp in my mouth. I'd like the beer to be a little bit smoother. However this seems normal for pale american wheat ales, it just doesn't work for a beer called a hefeweizen (even if it isn't).

D: I drank almost the whole growler in one sitting. The abv is very low and the beer goes down quite easy.

Even though I didn't like this beer very much I think I will go buy a second growler. Perhaps this style will grow on me. To date this is hands down the best American Pale Wheat Ale I've ever had. I looks forward to this being available in cans next summer.

3.61/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with white dusting after settling and a strong white head at the pour.

Aroma of light peppery lemon mixed with wheat malt and straw.

Taste is very similar to aroma, stronger peppery flavors, mixing with a refreshing lemon and belgian yeast characters. I felt this was nearly a baby version of 668 which I really enjoy but this finishes more dry with a slightly peppery bite at the end. Not nearly as much clove and no candy sugar presence comparably, but still very good. At 4.8%, this is also extremely drinkable. High carbonation and a light body.

Thanks NEB! Another great growler from you guys. Still waiting to be disappointed with a beer but I dont know if it will happen.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap, poured into a weizen glass at Tomato & Basil in Fairfield, CT.

Cloudy yellow in color, 2 finger head which settles to a thin film with big globs of bubbles floating around.

Nose is light.  Up front is lemon peel, followed by citrus hops and Belgian yeast.  Smells like a fusion of an IPA and a Saison.

The taste is way hoppier than expected, this drinks like an IPA.  Citrus hops, mostly lemon zest and maybe some grapefruit.  Wheaty and grassy.  There's a Belgian yeast character in the middle.  Finishes with a lemony bitterness and peppercorn spiciness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium.  Carbonation is good.

Overall this is a pretty good brew, tastes more like an IPA than I expected, but I love IPAs so it ok.  Worth trying, it's a nice summer brew.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Glad to try this beer. First from new england brewing in a long while for me. Golden yellow, dense white head leaves curvy nice lacing around the side of the glass. Cloudy. Aroma is clove, banana, vanilla and spice. Tasty, wheat malts and yeast dominate as is appropriate. Hoppyness comes from the bittering and flavor end, not so much the aroma. The hops are nice earthy n lightly zesty. Mouthfeel is appropriate to style. I'd give this beer a higher drinkability rating but for me weiss beers with alot of clove and banana type flavors get to me after a while.

Alpha Weizen from New England Brewing Co.