G-Bot

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
G-BotG-Bot
Notes: Massively hopped double IPA with notes of orange rind, dank pine and citrus with a deceptive drinkability

IBU’s - 85

Kettle Hops - Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, Columbus & Mosaic Dry Hops - Simcoe, Columbus, Mosaic & Citra

Malt - Pilsner, Crystal, Dextrose

Yeast - American Ale

OG - 17.5
Reviews: 601 | Ratings: 2,961
4.31/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another DIPA to drink today. This one is from NEBCO, the other two beers that I have consumed was delicious. I am looking forward to this beer. The beer is 46 degrees and served in a tulip glass. The pour of the beer produced a three-finger head with excellent retention. Lacing was tatted as the head dissipated to a half-finger ring around the glass. The off-white creamy and airy head has a stiffness to it. The beer is SRM 8 a deep golden color with amber hues. The beer is hazy. The bottom of the glass has yeast settling. The beer is beautiful.

The aromas are pineapple, mandarins, lemons, mangos, passion fruit, a hint of grapefruit. toasted malts, a biscuit note, earthy, and a touch pine. The beer has a more fruit-forward nose.

The flavors are herbal, cut grass, pineapple, mangos, lemons, oranges, floral, a hint of grapefruit, biscuity, earthy, and a touch of pine. The characteristics are less fruit more herbal and floral.

The body of the beer is medium, medium-plus carbonation, and a full finish.

The mouthfeel of the beer is crisp and astringent.

I am going out on a limb here to say this, the beer has this Marijuana note that comes through on the taste. At first, I thought it was an overcooked veggie note. Alas, I am going to conclude it is a marijuana note. The beer has a unique flavor profile. The malt backbone in the beer is firm, giving the beer a much need heft to support the hop profile. Overall an enjoyable beer to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

First tried at the brewery in 9/2018; updated with full review here.

Canned on 5/21/19

Pours a cloudy haze of deep orange-copper topped with a bountiful head of dense, white foam; excellent retention sees the head slowly die down to a paper-thin cap and leave a consistent smattering of thinner, soapy lacing.

Aromas of floral pine resin, sticky grapefruit, pineapple, and sweet peach skins; the remaining citrus is vague, shrouded largely in a raw, almost dank herbaceousness; faintest purple grape skin and passionfruit tones toward the back end. Can appear understated at times, but when it shines, it's with great nuance.

Taste brings floral hops, sweet pine resin, and ultra-dry caramel malt forming the base; some sweet peach, pineapple, and general candied citrus come through in the background in minor waves; flaky, boozy honeyed malt on the finish, along with more subdued light tones of ripe herbaceousness.

Mouthfeel shows a crisp medium body heightened by an excellent flaky malt; silky, semi-creamy carbonation with a perfectly mild hop prickle; slightly sticky and resinous; raw bitterness amplifies into the finish.

An old-school DIPA with an exceptionally nuanced profile; drinkability is top-notch, with expressive, assertive aromas/flavors restrained enough to bring about an easygoing kind of balance; a standard for DIPAs pushing that next level.

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one came at me out of nowhere. I remembered adding it to my wish list, but apparently completely forgot about it from there.

And then it showed up on my doorstep. How convenient! Firstly, love the format - I'm always happy to crush 12 oz cans, all day long. Secondly, I love the floral nose and taste notes to this - it's clean, fresh, and very pleasantly hoppy. At 8.5%, it's not a light beer, but it sure tastes like it. The sweet smoothness to it makes it far too easy to crush.

Great beer!

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It’s certainly not lacking flavor. Leaves you awash in a ‘cacophony’ of bitter. Bitter resinous Pine over a slightly caramely backbone. Spruce, almost rosemary oil vibe. The body is classic nebco. Quaffable AF. However, the somewhat dirty and dry simcoe presence is not enhancing my enjoyment of this. I actually think I preferred Baby Bot. Its a welcome change of pace from all the fruit forward ipas. I searched for a fruit discriptor but its really all pine to me. Old school ipa... where have you been my bitter friend? A kick to the nuts for “soft” ipa drinkers and a reminder of the deep need for west coast style ipa here in new england. The fact that this beer was a shock to the system makes me worry that ive gotten soft from drinking fruity beers... Im certainly still a bitter, bitter man.

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%

A beer that I have returned to again and again over the last four years. It's a welcome release form the NEIPAs of Treehouse and similar wannabes. To me, it has an almost floral/perfumish undertone. It never disappoints. Three years ago, finding it was a challenge, and I live 20 minutes from New Haven/Woodbridge, CT. Now it's always on for growler fills and showing up in cans regularly. Still, it's a classic and I guess one that I've grown used to which makes me laugh when I hear people from the Boston area who can practically walk to Trillium and Treehouse stating that they wish they could get their hands on some Bot. Nonetheless, I seem to never tire of this beer. NebCo makes a lot of good ones but this one holds a special place in my heart. It's rich, slightly earthy, a little malty, a little floral, bitter and just damn good.

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler picked up at the brewery yesterday.

L — Pours a completely clarified golden copper body with a lovely 2.5-finger dense white head produced with moderate pour. Great retention and lacing
S — Grapefruit rind, new sneaker, dank weedy resins, pine sap, diesel. Smells like a fresh wet-hop beer, or just a straight up fresh picked hop crushed between the fingers
T — Rubbery new sneaker, spruce tip, red grapefruit pith, bitter herbals
F — Medium+ mouthfeel, medium- carb. Quite lastingly bitter, but still pretty drinkable
O — Reminds me a lot of Foundation’s Epiphany and some of the less hazy Alchemist offerings. Tastes like a west coast DIPA, but is simply fresher and more lively. Good price

85/100

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. Half a finger head with decent lacing. Piney hoppy aroma. Hoppy taste with pineapple notes. Good local beer.

4.63/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on the elusive G-Bot! I've wanted to try this since the beginning of my BA days and even though they're the next state over, I never made the trip down to the New Haven area. Got a growler at the brewery for Christmas leave, along with many others from NEBCo. I let this sucker get to a proper room temperature.

This is definitely an old-school, West Coast IPA with a huge emphasis on tropical fruit flavors. Bursting with sweet juiciness and a nice malty background to make it a true and delicious Double. Nose is super floral and the finish is incredibly smooth yet properly carbonated. Thoroughly impressed and can see how this beer has survived the test of time and the whims of craft beer drinkers.

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Truly wonderful, basically perfect DIPA. Radiant orange-gold color. Intense flavors of fresh strawberry, peach, and spearmint. Medium-bodied and quite resinous with a finish that just does not stop. This beer easily separates itself from the hoards of DIPAs being brewed right now. [on tap at the brewery]

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: Translucent golden orange with a thin eggshell head.mild activity.

Smell: Vibrant notes of tangerine and grapefruit. Also, notes of sweet biscuit malt, light honey notes, and floral hops. Slightly sticky and juicy on the nose.

Taste: Ripe tangerine, bitter floral, and bitter grapefruit pity on the attack. The lingers throughout as a body of biscuit malt and marmalade is slowly revealed. The finish is dominated with bitter floral hops.

Feel: Medium body. Sharp carbonation aggressive bitterness. Bone dry finish. Light plus alcohol on the finish.

Overall: A pretty average West Coast style double IPA. The Sharp carbonation with with the aggressive bitterness leaves that palate a bit too fatigued. The juicy tangerine with the biscuit malt is fantastic but the aggressive bitterness winds up being the only lingering note on the palate. Great West Coast IPAs are everywhere these days and this is in the middle of the pack.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. I hate to admit, but I hadn't even heard of G-bot until (maybe) 6 months ago, even though it's existed for years....that's what happens when you live in Massachusetts...very few of my friends know anything about Connecticut's best kept beer secret.
Other than a sample at the Rising Pint beer festival, I'd never come across it, anywhere. There's been no can release at the brewery, as long as I've been following. And, although it's one of the few available from NEBCo in stores, it's not very easy to get your hands on. It's been my holy grail for months.
Anyways, for me, it totally lives up to the hype.
It's a typical NEBCo beer, in every way, in particular with the dark amber, slightly hazy, look. Lazy head. Superior lacing. Smooth as can be, especially for 85 IBUs. The alcohol taste is hidden, up front, but catches up to you on the backside.
Now that I've learned where and when to get it, I'll make sure to keep a supply in my beer fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

great looking brew, golden orange slightly haze with a nice bright white head. aromas and flavors of orange, grapefruit, honey malts, breadyness, mango, herbal greenness, hint of mango, a bit of piney danks. reminded me of heady topper and sip of sunshine, which is a good sign. cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep orange. Nice head with light lacing. Aroma is very earthy with peach. Taste is earthy,grass, pine, peach light citrus finish. Alcohol is well hidden. Excellent dipa. Look forward to more from them.

4.19/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally got to try one of these this weekend. While a decent/solid brew it did not live up to the Hype IMO. Poured light - very little aroma. Easy and drinkable but not a lot going on flavor wise. Would I drink it again - sure. Will I seek it out, not with all the tasty brews I can get locally.

4.34/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this beer before but never reviewed. It's actually one of the first beers that got me into drinking IPA! Drank out of a Teku.

Look: Medium to dark copper in color with a solid medium haze and a finger of rocky, soapy head.

Aroma: Big earthy, soil notes on the aroma along with lots of overripe peach and pine resin.

Taste: Earthy flavor dominates on the palate. Not much fruit to speak of. Lots of pine and bitter resin on the finish wipes out any of the sweetness you might expect out of an 8.8% beer.

Mouthfeel: Solid medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Overall(style points): Definitely leans west coast in style but brings an earthy flavor and aroma to the party which adds to the compexity so it's not just another resin bomb. The sweetness is completely subdued as well which makes the beer pretty refreshing but it's not popping with spruce the way I remember it. 89 Points.

4.1/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On Draft at Widow Browns

Had been only beer bucket list for a while and Im glad I finally got to try it.

L. Light hazy and dark yellow in color.
S. Hop forward, with nice citrus notes and light tropical aromas.
T. For a double it hides the alcohol well. Just not what I was expecting, a little light on the mouth feel and not as tropical as i was hoping.

3.96/5  rDev -10.2%

Look: I poured it gently and there was a large amount of head to it. After that settled the rest of it was a solid yellow.

Smell: My nose detected a fruity mix of lemons and oranges.

Taste: This went the same way as the nose and I tasted some type of melon in the fruit mix.

Feeling: Goes down easily and softly.

Overall: The taste didn't really blow me away despite as much hype I've heard for this.

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

"We don't have Sip, but I got some G-Bot." When Sip of Sunshine is not available, this is often the consolation prize in local stores, and never disappointing. Great double IPA. The first thing you notice is the delicious aroma, with sweet floral, fruity and slightly piny notes. The taste is smooth with very little bitterness. A lot going on in this juicy IPA. Definitely a staple when I can get it.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A unique and amazingly smooth double IPA. At first the taste is somewhat floral. However, this soon shifts to a mellow hop and delicate honey and ultimately fades on your taste buds maintaining this most pleasant impression. Zero bitterness here (not you regular ipa). Kept under the counter when available at my local, CT liquor store. Well worth the asking for!

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Whenever this beer is available I always buy it. I've had this beer many ways but for me the best taste and smell is when it is served in a chilled glass and ice cold. The flavor will become enhanced and much easier to drink. There is almost a hint of citrus hop that is not too overpowering. There's really nothing I can compare it to but I will update this review if I find something. The hops does linger on the tongue which I find pleasing. This beer can be paired with hot wings or any sweet flavored wing sauce. I would not recommend to a new IPA drinker. This is a beer that needs to be tried when all others fail to excited. I am a lover of this beer and would recommend to those willing to try flavorful beers.

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden color, white head, strong lacing on the glass
S: Wow. Definitely swirl this one a little and smell. Intense melon-tropical aromas with some nice piney-ness behind it. Honestly, I'm holding off on finishing my glass so I can keep smelling it
T: Nice dank, piney flavors with some onion. Not nearly as much tropical fruit as on the nose.
M: Medium bodied, but surprisingly light given the rest of the profile. Nice bitter finish
O: Pretty damn good. The aroma is definitely the highlight, but it's an awesome beer overall

4.19/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a golden hue. An herbally charged fragrance. There's nice flavors of honey dew followed by spicyness and pine. The progression from sweet to bitter provides a nice layer of complexity not found in most of today's juice bombs. That's what makes this a very good IPA. While it wouldn't be my top choice in a line up of New England's best DIPAs, it'd certainly be in the line up.

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a big white, frothy head that settles in under a nearly solid curtain of lacing. Body is pretty much yellow only with just a hint of haze.

Nose is a punch in the, well, nose. Big abrasive, earthy onion and lemongrass followed up quickly with orange rind and a slight hint of melon.

First swig brings in the melon primarily, That is until the bitter and heat gang up. Finish is marked with a little of that orange rind.

Body is medium and velvety smooth which deceives a little, given the rough, warm in the throat, slightly sweet aftertaste exit.

Darn happy to make this fellow's acquaintance!

4.02/5  rDev -8.8%

You know you've had too much beer when you can't quite recall when you traded for a can that's one of many in your basement. Sure enough, this was one of those beers and although I never heard of this or New England Brewing before, I enjoyed this enough that I'd want to see what else is available from them, if only to see if this was an anomaly or not.

Good pour to this as the beer had a radiant, hazy golden hue with a nice head full of big bubbles. Not a lot of lacing to be seen as the beer was a hair thinner was than I would have liked. A good amount of caramel malt, herbal spice, and earthy hoppiness in the nose with the spice standing out the most in the taste. Sage, juniper, and caramel could be detected as there was a hint of peanuts here as well. Such a complex taste but there wasn't a massive amount of citrus as would be the case with so many American Double/Imperiial IPA's. Crisp, sharp, and slightly minty, this would pair great with Thai or Asian food as there was enough spice and exotic flavor to be found here.

This was strong too as the alcohol made itself felt well before I polished off what was in my pint glass. The waxy residue left on my teeth was a reminder of what kind of beer this was but this wasn't like any IPA that I've had before. It was too spicy and exotic to fully appreciate as it needed more malt and carbonation to offset the peculiar flavors. Not a bad beer but it certainly required a bit of getting used to.

3.4/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I find it difficult to buy into the hype of this beer. For the demand this brew has, it is very much an average tasting DIPA. The color is not as bright and lively as better unfiltered New England IPA's, the flavor is quite malty and bitter that is more akin to an English IPA than an American one. The piney notes that I read about are really not all that apparent, again, in comparison to other New England style IPA's. This is still a good beer, but there are plenty off the shelf beers throughout the region that are just as good, if not better.

G-Bot from New England Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 98 out of 100 with 2961 ratings