G-Bot Double IPA | New England Brewing Co.

G-Bot Double IPAG-Bot Double IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

Added by woosterbill on 04-02-2010

Reviews: 586 | Ratings: 2,862
3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Light straw gold with a nice looking wispy head. Tons of hops in the nose, pine, lavender, mild citrus and a nice caramel note.
Tastes much like the smell with a lingering slightly bitter finish. Sweet and rich with lots of malt to balance the hops. Smooth and creamy. Overall a very nice DIPA.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

2nd Review

Growler

A: Pours a hazy golden-ish orange, copper accents. White fluffy head, quickly dissipating.

S: Grapefruit, slight tangerine, and otherwise oily and dank hop aromas. Smells vibrant and fresh.

T/M: Grapefruit follows the nose, as well that nice dank, oily character. Lots of bitterness mid palate, along with a touch of biscuity malt. Drinks extremely light for a DIPA, yet still sets itself apart from a single. Although this characteristic increases drinkability, my only complaint is a slightly thin finish. Its actually almost watery. I tend to notice this more in Gandhi Bot growlers, as opposed to the cans. Not sure why, exactly.

O: An excellent, easy drinking DIPA. Still one of my favorites, nice to have an excellent beer brewed 15 minutes away.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Got this as an extra in a trade Thanks silverX.

Pours a cloudy bright orange with a small white head and tons of lacing down the glass. Lots of particles in this one. Not sure if it's normal or if this one is a bit older since there is no can dating.

Typical IPA smell. Loads of grapefruit citrus and pine waft up from the glass but with a slightly stronger caramel presence than some west coast style IPA's.

The hops aren't quite as prevalent in the flavor as the nose. It starts out with a good caramel malt sweetness and finishes with a strong piney hop character with a little bit of citrus shining through as well.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick and creamy with good carbonation levels.

Overall not the best DIPA I've had, but one that I enjoyed and have been wanting to try for a while. Will definitely seek this out again especially as it comes in a can!

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

New England Brewing
Gandhi-Bot DIPA
12oz can w/o date
Victory snifter

A: Typical DIPA look to this one, deep orange color. Slightly hazy. 1/4 finger white head that drops quickly. Good carbonation off bottom of glass. Some alcohol feet. Sticky lacing on glass.

S: You get lots of floral citrus notes initially: grapefruit, orange, mango, etc. But there is definitely some sweet maltiness behind all that. Smells very sweet!

T: You get the intense hop bitterness on the tip of the tongue, but all the maltiness evens on the mid-mouth. Good hop mouth/tongue coating. Good balance for a DIPA.

M: Medium bodied with nice mouth coat.

O: A very very good beer. Especially from a can. It's a DIPA but it is very drinkable. I don't know the ABV, but you don't taste any alcohol at all.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

So many thanks to knifestyles for this one. Talk about an awesome trader.

A: Fantastic hazy golden orange color. Pours a thin creamy white head.

S: Citrus and hops, and it smells almost perfectly balanced. Some fruit as well.

T: I got a whole lotta hops! But all Zep aside, this is pretty hoppy, but has a great grapefruit and other citrus finish. Melts into a malty end. Fantastic DIPA.

M: Mouthfeel is about as good as any good DIPA I've ever had. No exception here.

O: This is a great beer. If I had this readily available, I think it would always be in my fridge. Highly recommended.

I got this can from knifestyles in an in-person trade. I tried and took notes that same night.

Ghandi-bot pours a dark orange color with a thick head of off-white foam. Lacing and retention are both good.

The aroma is quite hoppy, with citrus and tropical fruits in the aroma, including some pineapple. An edge of caramel malt creeps through also.

Hops are noticeable right away, with layers of citrus and pine. The tropical fruits from the aroma are barely noticeable in the flavor, but grapefruit and other citrus fruits pick up the slack. Slight vegetal hops are followed with a pretty strong grassy flavor. The finish has quite a bit of caramel malt to back up the hops.

Slightly oily, pretty full.

I like Ghandi-bot. I've been tearing apart IIPAs as boozy, cloying messes, but this manages to steer clear of those problems. In fact, I would say it does a very good job of hiding the ABV.

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

12 oz. can into a pint glass - I really wish they'd kept the tallboys, but you can't win 'em all. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear, straw yellow with a one-finger white head. Great lacing and head retention.

Grapefruit is very present in the nose - it's a pretty classic IPA aroma. There's a sweetness here that doesn't seem to be coming from the citric hop profile, and I swear I can smell malty syrup.

Maybe I'm not so crazy, because this is a very malty DIPA. There's some bitterness in the finish, but my overwhelming impression is one marred by this sweetness. A touch of soapy astringency, but the hops are really lost in the mix. It honestly seems a little old, but I know that this can is fresh.

The mouthfeel is a little too thick, this could use more carbonation.

I'd love to hype this somewhat-difficult-to-find local DIPA, but I just can't. The flavors just didn't work for me, and I couldn't see myself shelling out for a four-pack of 12 oz. again.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

A beer I have had several times but never reviewed. A 12 oz can into a DFH shaped pint glass. I believe the store received this batch about 3 week ago?

A - A clear amber/copper body and a soapy off-white head. I have noticed some variation in appearance with this beer. Some are crystal clear, some have been cloudy, and others have had large grey yeast chunks floating around. The nature of micro brewing I guess. This can looked great.

S - Mango, papaya, grapefruit, piney hops, and some malt. Very fruity and smooth.

T - Fresh citrus fruit. Peaches, mango, pineapple, and grapefruit. There's a nice smooth malt backbone here as well. The finish is dry bitter hops. The mouth feel is medium and has some nice carbonation. Doesn't feel oily or slick, very nice.

O - I'm not just being a homer when I say I love this beer. Its one of my favorite DIPA's. Its filled with tons of piney, citrusy hoppy goodness but it is never overwhelming or too intense. It keeps its high ABV in check too. I love the fact that its in cans and the artwork is certainly interesting. CT's finest for sure.

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz can from Dslim71 (thanks!) poured into tulip

A: Caramel, hazy look to it. Pretty aggressive pour yields a small head that leaves some, but not much, lacing.
S: When I first poured it there was distinct pine, but as it has warmed a bit the pine is gone and it seems more citrus with a slight malt smell.
T: Citrus to malt to a lingering bitterness. Slight alcohol finish... but very slight and not bad for that at all. The bitter definitely hangs on.
M: Moderate to low carbonation. It's definitely not syrupy, but pretty solid. Maybe slightly under the carbonation I'd want.

O: I thought this was pretty darn tasty. Nice flavors, hides the alcohol well. The bitterness lingering lowers the drinkability a bit... but it's 8.8% sooo I don't wan too many anyhow!

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear golden orange color with a foamy white head that hits about a finger or so and ends up being a thin cap. Decent wispy foam lacing left on the the glass.

Hugely hoppy nose. Pine notes and a good deal of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango and some citrusy orange and grapefruit are here. Really excellent fruit notes. Not much in the way of malt. Maybe some light, bready malt. But maybe not. This is all about the hops.

The taste follows the nose. Huge tropical fruit flavors hit first. Pineapple and mango, maybe some papaya, along with some nice citrus notes. Grapefruit and orange are here. Some floral flavors seem to peek through but they pale in comparison to the fruity hops. Pine makes it's presence felt in the nice bitter finish. It lingers for a bit but isn't overpowering.

Normally a DIPA with a this hop profile and higher ABV has a slick, oily feeling but not this one. Which is quite remarkable. A hugely hopped beer with an 8.8 ABV actually feels lighter on the palate. Ample carbonation probably helps out.

Overall, this is a great DIPA. There seems to have been some batch variation and some variation between can and tap but each has been extremely good. Huge hop flavors without the thicker, syrupy mouthfeel that comes with the territory. Very well done.

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

st- poured from a can into a sam sensory glass.

A- pours a cloudy amber color with a nice head that dissipates quickly but leaves a trace remaining

smell- wow! lots of fruit, in particular melon!

t- very good, melon continues with some nice citrus mixed in, followed by some slight bitterness on the finish

m- very nice medium carbonation with some stickyness

o- a delicious beer that reminds me a lot of nugget nectar...very tasty indeed!! just wish there was more of it to go around.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz can, unknown date. Served at around 45-50F. Huge thanks to Ryan for this one!

Pours hazy orange/gold with a one finger white head that recedes to a wispy cap and leaves some sheets of lacing behind.

Aroma is wonderfully citrusy and tropical, pineapple, orange, lemon, grapefruit, peach, along with some floral and pine notes, also some bread and yeast. Very good strength.

Flavor is strong on grapefruit citrus, pineapple, orange, peach & apricot, a little bit of mint and pine moving to a bit of bread & caramel malt in the middle and a great bitter citrus rind finish. Some spiciness & alcohol detected at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little oily, moderate carbonation.

This is one tasty Double IPA. Wow. My style of DIPA too...very hop forward without too much malt sweetness or booze interfering with the hops. Quite a treat to get a chance to try this!

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

Had this on tap at the Armsby Abbey. This was alot better than the can I had last year from what I remember. Served in a snifter.

A - Pours a wonderful hazy orange with a one finger creamy head that clings to the glass like some obsessed star struck fan to a backstage pass.Big, heavy side lacing and a thick offwhite blanket atop the brew. Spectactular.

S - Again, just awesome. Big floral hops and great oil notes. Pine, grapefruit, and orange. Stellar. Super fragrant and inviting.

T - More of the same. Nice malts but super delicious hops. Great pine oils and citrus notes. Almost juicy, super flavorful.

M - Another great feature. Smooth and creamy with enough carbonation to prevent it from getting too hot. Very drinkable.

O - Overall, I loved this beer on tap more than I did the can last year. This stuff is clearly a spectactular DIPA and deserves every bit of fame it garnishes. A much buy whenever one has the chance.

4.16/5  rDev -3%

12 oz can as an extra in a recent trade with amphion1065. Thank you kind sir!

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Poured into my La Fin Du Monde tulip.

My extremely aggressive pour left me with no sign of a head. Just some slight bubbles that fell to nothing. No crown, no film, no signs of a head ever existing. Leaves no lacing on the glass. Pours a very nice looking straw-like orange that has some slight clarity, but more on the cloudy side.

Smell is very nice with a piney body that lets bursts of tropical fruits peak through. Mango, grapefruit, pineapple, papaya, and finished with some citrus notes. Nice subtle spicy hop hues.

Taste follows the smell, just intensified. The tropical fruits are outstanding. I especially notice the mango and slight papaya. Nice creamy mouthfeel leading to the dry hoppy finish. Very nice beer.

I really enjoyed this. I haven't had many east coast IPA's, but this has set the new benchmark. I wish there was some type of head formed from my pour. I am curious if the cross country trip through the heat had something to do with it.. I have another can so maybe I'll crack that tomorrow.

Thanks for the shot at this, Jason!

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Couple of cans of the same freshness shared with Klym, these were courtesy of Njbeernerd in a recent trade with Klym. Thanks a lot! Awesome extras.

Poured into a couple of Stone Nonics.

A: A milky honey body with a fluffy three finger head on a violent hand raising pour. The foam was really strange looking in that there were large bubbles off the head and small bubbles all along the edge of the glass. The lacing came down normally with a high water mark line plus some burned scrambled egg marks allover the glass. Really a very classic beer look, bubble strangeness aside.

S: Pickled pineapple juices with a nice mellowing tea-like hop. The smell comes off slightly floral and herbal, and perhaps even slightly earthy. The pineapple note does a good job of mixing with pine notes to spice up the nose. A really very accessible nose that won't turn any IPA or even non-ipa drinker off. Clean notes that suggest some nice refinement. A bitter hop linger in the nose takes the floral notes deep into the pollens. Quite nice.

T: Floral hop that gives into a mix of pineapple, pine, and mango juices. Not the most juicy notes of fruit I've ever had, but distinctly no dried or fruit skin notes. Touches of honey kiss the tongue. Citrus is there in a mild rind form, but no real zest or prickle. Mostly I'd say the flavor is comprised of a reasonable floral complexity. I don't know my flowers very well so I can't help anyone out in naming specific edible flowers, but there definitely seems to be some variation in the floral notes. Pineapple juice and Honey + pine sap seems to serve as the flavor backbone throughout. A bit of a stronger medicinal hop linger in the finish.

M: I have to say this is probably the diamond in the rough for this beer. This thing drinks so creamy for its flavor profile, I mean how can hops and pine be so fluffy in the mouth? I think I described there being a pollen like character to the nose, well it very much appears back in the mouth. It's not quite powdery, but there's this full-substance like sensation in the mouth that lingers with the hops like a ghost of carbonation since passed. Very solid here, nice feels. Alcohol coats a bit, but only adds to the honey character in the flavor.

O: This thing drinks very nicely, and for its ABV (which I was shocked with, to be frank) at 8.8% This thing is a gem. The high alcohol would keep me from having too much of this bad boy, but I'd have no problem putting away 75% of a four pack. I'm just not sure how I'd feel. Brilliant hop character in this one that adds a compatible pine note to the pineapple. Very solid beer that is a worthy mention in style, just be sure you don't overdose on this monster incognito. Seriously, I can't believe how much bigger this beer is than I thought it was! Absolutely invisible alcohol.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Huge thanks to NJBeerNerd for this most excellent throw-in! Poured into a stone nonic and shared with Cavery.

A: Pours a light gold with avery white two-finger head. The head on this thing is unusual, gobs of it seem to stick to the glass if you tilt it, but you tilt it far enough and it all the lacing drips off save a few erratic spots. Either way, looks good.

S: Really nice, very aromatic piney hop character anchored down by tons of tropical fruits, a tad of citrus, and even a hint of raisin. A very nice balance has been found between sweet and sharp here and I'm liking it.

T: Like someone made a floral and tropical fruit grenade out of a nugget hop cone, hits with a micro hop burn that blooms into a very sweet floral/tropical fruit mix with sharper airs of pine and citrus still in the mouth. Bitterness comes back as it dies down and perhaps even borders on being uncomfortably bitter, but overall the ride is very good.

M: A medium body with a satisfying amount of carbonation. No heat in the mouth, just as there was none in the taste, but a little tingle on the side of the tongue and top of the mouth lingers from the hops. For someone who likes hops, though, it's a pleasant sensation.

O: Probably the best east coast IPA/DIPA I've had yet. High drinkability, great balance and boldness to all of the flavors, and all delivered with great feel and presentation. Really glad I got to try this and I'd definitely try it again.

Served in a snifter at Armsby Abbey.

Beer pours a hazy burnt orange color with a creamy persistent white head. Heavy aroma of citrus - pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit and just enough malt to carry it. Taste is more of the same with the malts being just enough to balance the heavy load of hops. Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Overall, one of my favorite double IPAs that I always try to pick up whenever I "can".

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a Northshire Brewing Battkenkill Ale pint glass.

A - Pours an orange-amber with a fluffy white head

S - Hops, floral nose

T - BIG hop! Very intensely hoppy and bitter, a little floral

M - medium-bodied, light carbonation. Surprisingly clean.

D - medium

This one's for the hopheads.

3.6/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz can courtesy of Davey. Thanks!

A- The beer pours a hazy golden, orange color with a finger of off-white foam. Head recedes leaving decent lacing.

S- Citrus hop aroma. Nothing over the top, but orange and a bit of grapefruit are present. Biscuity malt is in evidence as well.

T- Light floral hoppiness up front with a slight orange flavor gives way to a fairly stout malt backbone before cascading into grapefruit and citrus rind bitterness. The finish is semi-dry with a lingering, mildly bitter aftertaste.

M- The beer is medium bodied with a lower level of carbonation which works fine here. ABV is very well masked.

O- Overall I found Gandhi-Bot to be a pretty enjoyable DIPA. NEBCo does a very nice job producing a beer that splits the difference between what I consider to be an east coast DIPA and a typical west coast hop bomb. Quite drinkable. I could certainly see myself enjoying this one on a regular basis if it was available locally. Glad I had the opportunity.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

A: slightly cloudy and murky dark orange
S: as it has warmed up, citrus, troplical fruits, pine, earthy undertones
T: see smell. Makes the mouth pucker then water as an ipa should. Starting to taste orange and mango. Stuff is delicious!
M: very light bodied with light carbonation that tickles the tongue. Feels like the bubbles are dancing on the tip of your tongue.
O: very enjoyable and if I could easily/readily acquire this double ipa then I definitely would keep this in the fridge at all times. Definitely glad I tried it and want to try it some more!

3.52/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz can shared by Matt.

Dark golden amber color. Nicely balanced, sweet malt and hoppy aroma. Mild citrus. Flavor is malty and a little overly bitter. Medium full, thick body, mildly cloying and dry. A pleasant, perfectly average canned DIPA. It'd be nice to have this in your local market area, but I wouldn't seek it out.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz can poured into a Portsmouth tulip. Pours a golden color amber color with a nice white head that fades rather quickly.

Instant hit of citrus, tropical fruit, as well as some nice grassy earthy notes.

Taste follows the nose, with a nice bitter kick at the end. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and crisp. Medium carbonation and a nice bitter finish.

Delicious double ipa that I wish was available more often! I will definitely hit this up again when it becomes available.

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

Review adapted from notes taken 3/3/11

Appearance: Pours a nice dark golden orange with a touch of amber - starts off with a small, fluffy white head, but the head fades really quickly - some sticky lacing left behind

Smell: The aroma starts bursting out of the can from the second it is opened, begging to be poured into something that can handle it - simply amazing range of hoppy aromas - tropical, herbal, resinous, citrus - pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit - some caramel malts in the background for some hint of balance - one of the best smelling beers I've encountered

Taste: Epic times - as the aroma would suggest, this tastes very West Coast - tropical fruits, citrus - tons of pineapple, grapefruit, also with pine - extremely bitter, a kind of bitterness that coats the mouth - despite the intense hops, the malts are light but substantial enough to hold things together - toasty biscuits, lightly sweet, extremely clean - overall, remarkably not over-the-top

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not too heavy and not too light - sticky to a pleasant degree, carbonation works really well - smooth and a little dry

Overall: This Bot makes me want to go robosexual

I have had this a number of times since first acquiring some in March, and I love it more every time. It's second only to Pliny the Elder in my book, and I think that says a lot. It's everything I want in a DIPA. I'm surprised people aren't more rabid about this beer... I hope hype doesn't grow!

Update, 10/1/11: Thanks to Heady Topper, now Gandhi-Bot is third, not second...

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Many thanks to Beenitty for the chance to taste this one. He said that there was quite a buzz about this beer, and I see what the fuss is about!

Poured into my DFH snifter- pours a murky light orange color. Pretty much opaque. Really nice head retention, nice sticky lacing all over the glass. Smell- hmm not much here. Some sweet tropical flavors, but this doesn't have that big of a aroma at all. Taste- really nice tart citrus flavors, definite hop presence, but well balanced with a nice malt sweetness. Mouthfeel- the dry finish and tart tropical presence here really makes this easy to drink. Drinkability- this is a really nice DIPA- I like that the ABV is a little lower than normal- seems like this beer is all about balance, which it has achieved. I would def have it again.

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%

Somewhat cloudy orange that once it settled became a fairly clear, deep golden color. No real head to speak of but definate carbonation. Big citrusy, resiny and line aroma. Malty presence with a tongue stripping hop bitterness. Long, lingering sticky, pine like flavor. Decent mouthfeel, there is a residual, somewhat gummy sweetness. A real good double IPA. Personally I like more hop flavor then the bitter blast so too many might be a bit overwhelming. Still a damn fine brew.

G-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.