G-Bot Double IPA | New England Brewing Co.

G-Bot Double IPAG-Bot Double IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

Added by woosterbill on 04-02-2010

Reviews: 584 | Ratings: 2,853
4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

Review adapted from notes taken 3/3/11

Appearance: Pours a nice dark golden orange with a touch of amber - starts off with a small, fluffy white head, but the head fades really quickly - some sticky lacing left behind

Smell: The aroma starts bursting out of the can from the second it is opened, begging to be poured into something that can handle it - simply amazing range of hoppy aromas - tropical, herbal, resinous, citrus - pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit - some caramel malts in the background for some hint of balance - one of the best smelling beers I've encountered

Taste: Epic times - as the aroma would suggest, this tastes very West Coast - tropical fruits, citrus - tons of pineapple, grapefruit, also with pine - extremely bitter, a kind of bitterness that coats the mouth - despite the intense hops, the malts are light but substantial enough to hold things together - toasty biscuits, lightly sweet, extremely clean - overall, remarkably not over-the-top

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not too heavy and not too light - sticky to a pleasant degree, carbonation works really well - smooth and a little dry

Overall: This Bot makes me want to go robosexual

I have had this a number of times since first acquiring some in March, and I love it more every time. It's second only to Pliny the Elder in my book, and I think that says a lot. It's everything I want in a DIPA. I'm surprised people aren't more rabid about this beer... I hope hype doesn't grow!

Update, 10/1/11: Thanks to Heady Topper, now Gandhi-Bot is third, not second...

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Many thanks to Beenitty for the chance to taste this one. He said that there was quite a buzz about this beer, and I see what the fuss is about!

Poured into my DFH snifter- pours a murky light orange color. Pretty much opaque. Really nice head retention, nice sticky lacing all over the glass. Smell- hmm not much here. Some sweet tropical flavors, but this doesn't have that big of a aroma at all. Taste- really nice tart citrus flavors, definite hop presence, but well balanced with a nice malt sweetness. Mouthfeel- the dry finish and tart tropical presence here really makes this easy to drink. Drinkability- this is a really nice DIPA- I like that the ABV is a little lower than normal- seems like this beer is all about balance, which it has achieved. I would def have it again.

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%

Somewhat cloudy orange that once it settled became a fairly clear, deep golden color. No real head to speak of but definate carbonation. Big citrusy, resiny and line aroma. Malty presence with a tongue stripping hop bitterness. Long, lingering sticky, pine like flavor. Decent mouthfeel, there is a residual, somewhat gummy sweetness. A real good double IPA. Personally I like more hop flavor then the bitter blast so too many might be a bit overwhelming. Still a damn fine brew.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours grapefruit colored with a finger of white head that sticks around.

S: Floral hops, citrus aromas, pineapple, peach, pear, and piney hops as well.

T: Huge burst of floral and citrusy hops at first, entering into a middle of light fruity flavors, followed by a bitter hop finish with slight accents of most noticeably pineapple.

O: This is one fantastic brew. If I had to say, my top 5 IIPAs are:

DFH 90 minute
Avery Maharaja
Oskar Blues Gubna
NEBC Ghandi Bot
Brew dog Hardcore IPA

Obviously a fantastic brew if it joins my top 5 after one review. Go get you some!

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Double Ghandi Bot – Really murky copper, not all that attractive. Smell is very balanced IPA, good hop, good malt backbone sweet, but not overly so. Whoa hop explosion in my mouth, a little too bitter for my palette, once I got over the hop explosion, the sweetness came out which is really nice, but still a bit too bitter for what I look for in an ipa. Mouth is medium, but VERY bittery aftertaste. nice double/triple ipa…good, not amazing, but good.

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Fresh can, summer 2011. Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Gorgeous pour- looks like Heady Topper. Lightish orange color with a green tint, which hints to the density of hops that likely go into this brew.

Suprisingly mild aroma. The hops are muted, and there's some malty sweetness. It's all quite inoffensive.

The taste, however, is a rather measured assault on the taste buds. Potent bitterness front to back. Wonderful dry, grassy, and earthy profile. Little sweetness present from the malt, and the hop profile has very little citrus. It's dry, delicious bitterness from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel is obviously dry, but the aftertaste cleans up quickly. Could use just a touch of body, but it's a small criticism.

Nice brew here all-around. The ABV is nearly completely hidden, but adds just a bit of (welcome) harshness to the flavors. It's a little pricey (I paid 13.50 for the four-pack), but it's rare enough to give a whirl once in a while.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Jumped through hoops to find a few of these for a trade.

A- 1 finger head above a slightly hazy orange body. The head has decent retention, nothing absurd but does look good. Not really lacing.

S- Malty backbone compliments the hops nicely. Hops are citrusy, but not overly sweet with lots of pine and grass.

T- Very nice bitterness from front to back with no let up. Citrus takes a backseat from the nose and bitterness is piney and grassy. Not really much sweetness here. Full frontal bitterness assault.

M- light mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. My mouth is left somewhat dry but not too much.

O- This brew is great. I wish it wasnt such a hassle to get

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

recent 2011 canning poured into a Baxter Brewing Co. can glass. 4pk for $12.99.

A- Pours a nice golden hue that sits darker with more orange in the glass. A good foamy head develops before fading to a good filmy cap. Little lacing.

S- Upfront sweet citrus hops with a touch of pine and zest. The malt bill does come through and is bready and caramel. A good smooth aroma.

T- upfront a good dose of sweet caramel and orangey hops. The taste is solid. The malt bill is a good stage for the hops to shine, but also gives some balance. The hops are center stage in this brew. The hops have good depth and have some zest and tang to go with the sweeter orangey taste.

M- Medium bodied brew. The bitterness lingers well, however isn't overpowering on the palate. The caramel malt does become a tad cloying but also lends to the nice drying feel.

O- A really nice DIPA. Worth a try if you like a more mild DIPA. For me, not in the top tier. Very easy and nice to drink.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz can poured on 06.30.11
canned in 2011

A = poured a hazy orange/red color. unexpectedly red - vibrant & bright. pure white head

S = lite hoppy aroma w/ strong citrus notes. smells fantastic

T = piney notes, and tropical fruits dominate the taste here for me. great hop character present. a hint of spice on the finish.

M = Very full. great carbonation and texture.

O = IMO, it live up to the hype. I expected a lot and this brew delivered. It's a great, hoppy, Imperial (red) ale. I can't wait to have another.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Murky sort of orange-amber. Huge fluffy white head with great retention and tons of lacing.

S: Lots of grapefruit, oranges with bitter pine resin and a bit of caramel malt mixed in.

T: Taste follows the nose. Very bitter grapefruit and orange, maybe some tangerine? Pine and a little malt is present. Very hop forward and very strong and bright.

M: Surprisingly heavy. Very bitter tingly mouthfeel. Super drying as well, one of the driest beers I've had.

D: Very good DIPA, just wish it were available more often and more widespread.

3.99/5  rDev -7%

Canned on 6/22, enjoyed on 6/29.

Poured into a good ol' Pint Glass.

A: Nice amber coloration, very hazy. Lasting head. I can tell by the haze and head that this one is gonna have some exceptional mouthfeel due to some protein action.

S: I didn't get much out of the nose on this beer. Subtle hop aroma.

T: Good taste, just like it smelled. Very balanced. Mellow, yet bitter.

M: Here's where the magic happens. Very full bodied. It's a beer of substance!

Overall: Great beer! Incredibly drinkable for a DIPA. Balance and motuhfeel were key for this one, in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One week old, poured into a snifter.

Hazy tangerine orange head that settles to a white film with good lacing. The color is awesome in my opinion.

The nose is a wonderful concoction of pink grapefruit, blood orange, pineapples, something floral, and some pine.  Just a huge citrusy and floral nose, really smells great.

The major player in the taste is pink grapefruit, which leaves behind a hop oil that keeps your palate sweet and bitter at the same time.  I also get orange zest, pineapple, and pine resin.  Aftertaste is grapefruit bitterness that hangs on forever.

Mouthfeel is medium body with decent carbonation.  As I said, it coats the palate with a hop oil, which I welcome.

Overall I really love this brew... It's among the few that I try to keep as a regular in my fridge.  NEBCO needs to make this a year-round offering.  It really stands up to the west coast IPA/DIPAs.

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had in late April, served at Fridge Temp.

A- Hazy-orange with a yellow tinge. small head that fades rather quickly.

S- Sweet, citrus hops, bitter red grapfruit, sweet white grapfruit and some tropical fruits mainly pinapple with some mango and orange peel. Little bit of bready malty with slight caramel. Smells FANTASTIC!

T- It tastes a little bit different than it smells. The citrus, grapfruity hops, while still present dont appear to be as strong as in the smell. The piney, grapfruit hops are still definetly prominent and provide a really nice, sharp bitterness..just not as much as I expected. The tropical fruits appear to be abscent as well, that being the pinapple and mango. there is a sweetness to it, like honey, but that tropical feel has disappeared as well as some caramel. the lack of caramel malt is fine with me though because there is nothing that takes away from the bitterness and this is defintely a bitter beer. Not the most bitter, but its up there. The alcohol is hidden very well too.

M- Medium to high carbonation with dry, bitter hops.

O- Really great brew from NEBcO. I'll be sure to pick this up whenever it comes out.

3.82/5  rDev -11%

Blind #5 - 12oz can

A: Standard pull tab status. Decent gaseous exchange upon cracking. Pours out like mama’s chicken broth: turbid and glowing with a bit of a burnt tinge to it. A soapy off-white quilt rests into a collared sheet of the same. Polka-dot laced. (3)

S: Sweet malt up front - cara pils feel to the nose. I can’t explain what it is, but cara pils, honey malt and the like give a different “feel” to the nose - slightly muggy, but in a good way. My nostrils flare and I take in citrus, marshmallows and apricots oh my! Slightest hint of american yeasty beasts. Overall sweet and easy nose. (3.5)

T: Still really sweet this one. My immediate reaction is this is a winter time IPA (as I like super light malt with sharp hops in the summer) - sweet, relatively thick. This lugs quite a bitter jab on my palate. A nearly spicy finish has me thinking either this has rye, or intriguingly hidden ABV.... The fruits remain native to the olfactory experience while my buds take on the battle of sweets and bitters. I’m a bit thrown off by this one due to the malt profile - starting to thing ESB with dry hops. Shit, this is getting scary. (3.5)

M: Medium to heavy to my judgment (penultimate in value). Prickly carbonation is retained through the breadth of time required to take this in. Slick finish and resonating tannic feel. The body on this is quite nice. (4)

O: Blindly speaking, if somebody handed me this and said it was a homebrew, I would think it was a slightly bitter ESB, or an IPA in need of some hop schedule adjustments. Either way, not a bad beer, and in looking at the numbers, I should not give two buckets of my wife’s deuce what the label is - cuz I love what’s inside (in my wife’s case, me). (4)

Guess: an IPA. Not better guesses after that, don’t recognize the malt or hop profile.
Reveal: NEBCO Gandhi-Bot! Man, I wish there was a can date on there. I’ve heard such different things about this beer, I’m surprised there wasn’t more up front. I think if they toned down the bittering hops a hare, and then dry hopped the fuck out of this it would be epic.

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-Hazy Orange/Brown. Off White 1 finger head that leaves substantial lacing and dissipates into a thin film.

Smell-Piney, Floral and Citrus hops. Little malts. Aroma very fragrant and very inviting.

Taste-Upfront a lot of bitter grapefruit, followed by some more sweet fruits with a nice malt finish.

Mouthfeel-Little hot going down, but smooth and lightly creamy. Medium bodied with less carbonation then most IIPAs

Overall-The guys at NEBCO continue to do great things, and I'm glad I finally got to try the Gandhi bot. Phenomonal beer.

on 7/10/11 had it again in a can, and this beer is fucking fantastic. Lots of floates, which I'm not sure is normal.

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

A nice light honey colored liquid. A half finger of off white head lazily floats atop. Citrus and pine are rather evident up front. Malty and slightly bready round it out. I'm kind of semi buckling up for this sip. The first time I had it my tongue went down with a k.o. from it. And... All I feel is bitch slaps from a guy in Uptown. The pine and hop bite are there, but not potent in the least. The backend literally dries your tongue out.

Looks like the rematch has me as victor on the cards. Sadly I liked the super aggressive version and this seemed to fall short to me. Nevertheless this is a solid beer and I would certainly like more.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to Jdiddy for hooking me up with this one

Appearance: Golden-orange with a fluffy white head about two fingers worth that lasted for a while and then receded into a thin lacing.

Aroma: Piney resinous smell, with lemony citrus, and a hint tropical fruit. Very pleasing and very strong it took a while to get around to actually drinking.

Taste: Bitingly bitter, but in a good way as an IPA should be, with a nice malty backbone. Piney citrus flavors dominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to high carbonation and a nice dry finish.

Overall: This is a very good IPA, personally I think it rivals other top notch IPAs I’ve had in the past. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on it.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have a final due. So I'm drinking a Gandhi-Bot and reviewing it. You know - that totally makes sense.

Anyway I'm a fan. And if I may make the statement. BLEND THIS WITH BLACK TUESDAY 50/50. You will not regret it.

Ok. Now that it's out of the way. This beer pours copper with a decent head and solid lacing. It's hazy, and trends to strawish-ness gold at the base. Weirdly tinged. Smells lovely though. Bitter hops, drying with pine and grass, bit of resin and caramel malts come through with a ripe breadiness.

The taste bites then smooths then dries like a DIPA with a hophead should. Best part about this boozy baby is at 8% and in cans, you can only think WTF was anyone thinking when naming this?

Actually that sentence isn't coherent, but neither is my final paper.

Suffice to say: this medium mouthfeel and easy drinking beer is good.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12-ounce can picked up from xanok. Into a snifter it goes.

Flows from the can a pale shade of dandelion and coalesces to deeper tones of hazy apricot. Atop sits a frothy one-finger head of off-white foam that disappears, quickly, leaving a soapy top layer and sticky mountains of lace.

Smells like a forest of pine trees planted in the middle of a soccer field. Tons of fresh grass, pine needles, dank weed and citrus peel. A backbone of honey-baked crackers and ethanol round out the aroma.

Symmetry in the flavor, though with a bracing bitterness to match. I feel like I fell, face-first and mouth open, into a lawnmower bag. Absolutely tons of grass, with grapefruit peel adding a bit of citrus and pithy bitterness. Very slight solvency and just the right amount of crackery malt. The finish is pretty damn crisp and clean for all the flavor in the front. As it warms, complexity emerges in the flavor and I’m tempted to bump the score up another notch.

Medium body with a good bit of heft. Alcohol is more noticeable in the flavor than in the feel, though I do get some fumes warming the throat and nose. The moderate carbonation avoids being pushy and the bitterness never gets out of hand.

If Gandhi had been a drinker, I’m sure he’d have been cool with this.

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz can pours a thick, hazy burnt orange with minimal head and almost no lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, grass, pine, and slightly yeasty. I pick up lemons and orange peel, with some hint of spices. Mouthfeel is dry, and heavy. Taste throws at you a really dry mix of everything you smell. This is in my top 5 IPAs. It may be a contender for #1.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Brez07 for sending a 4 pk out to me. Poured a 12oz can into a Stone Specialty 16oz IPA glass. No freshness date on the can.

Pours a beautiful honey color that forms a thick white head. Head doesn't stay around long, but the lacing on the glass is the best I have ever seen. Smells of pine, floral hops, and citrus. Tastes of bitter hops, citrus, grapefruit, and a sweet malt. The mouthful has a perfect texture and the carbonation is very good. Overall this beer ranks as a top tier DIPA. I would put this in the same category as Pliny the Elder, Dreadnaught, etc. I would have no problem drinking a 4 pack of these in a setting and wish it was sold around here. It would become a staple in the fridge!

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to Andrew for providing me with this beer. It was excellent.
In a tulip it was hazy orange in color with a medium off-white head. Impressive lacing.
Sweet malt aroma. Citrus and herbal hops. Peppery in my nose.
Big-time grapefruit taste, also tangerine and apricot. Piney taste entering later. Nice strong malt background, still sweet.
This was a very smooth, easy drinking beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Pours straw color - off white head.

S: Big hop aroma- citrus, very fragrent, grapefruit-imagine grabbing a handful of hops, rubbing them together in your hands and putting it up to your nose, outstanding!

T: The qualities of the aroma carry over to the taste. Great hop profile, citrus and piney. Finishes well and not overly bitter considering the intense hop flavor.

M: Nicely carbonated and well balanced.

O: One of my favorite beers - New England Brewing makes some of the best brewed beers and can easily compete with the big names in Craft Beer.

4.29/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to hopstoopid120 for this one. Poured from a 16oz. can into Lost Abbey stemware. No freshness date.

A: Standard pour yields a 1.5 finger frothy white head with good retention. Beer is a cloudy peach with an orange tint. Lacing is stringy and spotty with very good cling. Lacing and head are nice but clarity hurts this one a bit.

S: Nose is extremely dank hops. Pine, citrus, and other crushed pulpy, tropical fruits. Grassy with the slightest hint of cane sugar. Appetizing. Robust and muddled for its style, could use a bit of crispness, but the flavors are there.

T: Opens papaya and apricot. In comes an intense grassy, piney hop bitterness mixed with a nice citrus flavor. Middle is more crushed papaya and a subtle cane sugar backbone. End is resiny hop bitterness with tree bark and wet wood. Finish and aftertaste are more of the same with a nice dryness. Incredible balance and really the prototypical east coast iipa.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and substantial (for an iipa) in the mouth and goes down smooth with some bubbles here and there. Finish is dry with a sticky aftertaste that lingers. The low carbonation works surprisingly well here.

O: Although New England Brewing is hyped for its Imperial Stout Trooper beer, I'd have to argue that this is the best offering they make. An east coast style iipa that I would pit against any other around the country. Seek it out, its definitely worth the trouble.

4.59/5  rDev +7%

My buddy stopped in to New England Brew Co on his last vacation and grabbed a 4 pack to bring home and gave me one. Thanks Nate!!!

Poured into a pint glass. Not as much head as most IPA's. Hazy with actual hop particles floating around. Ok lacing.

Aroma is intense. Almost like I stuck my head in a bag of hops. Tons of citrucy hop aromas. Smells awesome.

Taste is good. Nice hop bite but with alot of hop flavor. Slight malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry. Good carb.

Overall a great IPA. Would get more if I could. Might have to trade for some more.

G-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.