Zapata Bot

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Zapata BotZapata Bot
Notes: Barrel Aged G-Bot DIPA A Massively hopped double IPA with notes of orange rind, dank pine and citrus with a deceptive drinkability aged and tripel dry hopped in Tequilla barrels
ABV - 9 % IBU’s - 85
Kettle Hops - Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, Columbus & Mosaic Dry Hops - Simcoe, Columbus, Mosaic & Citra
Malt - Pilsner, Crystal, Dextrose
Yeast - American Ale
OG - 17.5
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 71 | Ratings: 190
2.7/5  rDev -31.8%

Thanks to Speedway Jim for the trade. Sampled at our post-Christmas tasting in Chicago.

A - Poured a hazy golden/brown color, looked like a slightly richer IPA. Spots on the sides, decent head retention.

S - Well, it definately smells like tequila. Pour agave in there almost, with only a slight bit of hops and citrus. Smells like bad tequila or bad beer, take your pick.

T - Tastes a bit better than it smells thankfully. Citrus hops, some caramel malts, it's not a bad DIPA. Bad finish though, goes back to an alcohol-burn like tequila taste I could have done without.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - I've had worse beers, but I'd say this is a failed experiment. I like Ghandi-bot quite a bit, this is not an improvement. Kickass bottle though.

2.09/5  rDev -47.2%

Thanks again to mob2332 for this bottle.

Bottle 414/713 Poured into DFH signature glass.

Hazy dull orange, looks a bit watered down. Zero carbonation, no head, no lacing just sad.

The aroma is rather muted. The tequila is quite prominent though at a pleasant level. The hops are much more floral than what I anticipated. The citrus notes do brighten with warmth though lack the punch I wish was there.

I like the flavor, but I cannot help being disappointed once again.Light malt flavor is up front much to my surprise. Slight citrus flavors begin to appear as it warms. The tequila come into play midpalate and soon transitions into a stronger hop flavor. The flavor progression seems absolutely backwards to me. The hops reveal more of an orange flavor, certainly lacking the pleasant citrus bouquet of Gandhi-Bot. In looking for a positive, the malt bill is solid. Solid pale base without the cloying crystal. Sound recipe.

The body is just north of light. Zero carbonation, not even a hint. Even slight carbonation would do wonders for this beer. There are some positives in the mouth feel. The finish is dry, there is no excessive sweetness left lingering.

I loved the idea, I love the potential, I am disappointed by the beer. There is not much you can do to save a flat beer, especially when the style does need a decent amount of carbonation to support it. With even minimal carbonation this beers scores would easily double. I have been trying to find the positives in each aspect and there are some to find in the drinkability. Even while flat I am still finding reasons to continue drinking, I can even find some enjoyment. Overall this bottle is a disappointment, I would love to try this beer the way it was intended to be drunk.

2.92/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance: Unfortunately, it looks like I've got myself a bad bottle. The crown on the beer cap looked a little banged up, but otherwise appeared to be well sealed. However, after a completely silent pop-topping and a lifeless appearance after a relatively rough pour it appears all carbonation has escaped this brew. Must be a collaboration brew with Lost Abbey. Aside from that, the beer is a cloudy, dirty apple cider color with heaps of sediment floating around.

Smell: Some nice hoppy bitterness with a tequila booze quality to it. The combination actually works pretty well, however I would have liked more of a hop presence to it.

Taste: Interesting, I'm actually get more of a tequila taste than an IPA taste. The tequila flavor is good, and the lack of the classic tequila burn allows the flavors of the IPA to come through. Overall it's not bad...an interesting IPA for sure.

Mouthfeel: Unfortunately, the complete lack of carbonation really kills this beer for me.

Drinkability: This beer has the makings of a good drinking, tasty IPA. I love the hops, and I do love me some tequila,. Unfortunately, however, I can't give this brew high drinkability marks due to the complete lack of carbonation which ruins the overall feel of the beer. I will say, however, that I would very much like to try this brew again and update this review. Until that happens, though, this review will stand.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

My 100th review!

Pours golden orange with a decent amount of head. Not as nice of lacing as the ghandi-bot but still a pretty beer. Smells like agava and more agava. Lots of hoppiness on the nose as well. Tastes smooth and oaky with some mild hops. The hops are not as strong as ghandi-bot but a decent hops profile. A bit thin but very drinkable

2.41/5  rDev -39.1%

Bottle shared by AgentZero at the post-Christmas tasting in Chicago. Served in my Cantillon tulip.

I was really interested in trying this, especially as I really, really enjoy the standard Gandhi Bot. Unfortunately, it's not quite what I hoped it would be. It pours a hazy light tan color without much of any head and a thin collar. The nose brings forward some wood and strong tequila. No hops really here. Don't really know how the decision to use Gandhi Bot as the base really affected anything here. The flavor adds a slight hop presence, but tequila is still what rules here. Mouthfeel is pretty boozy,, but is actually a bit smooth. Drinks okay, but is not particularly good.

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Brez27 for this one.

A: First pour resulted in a clear gold beer with a thin bit of big bubbled bright white head. Good retention, but little lacing. Subsequent pour resulted in a cloudy mix of beer and yeasty sediment.

S: Piney hops dominated by the floral essence that is tequila. Scent was subdued at first, but the tequila became more prevalent as the beer warmed.

T: Hot and astringent. Starts with a small bit of caramel malt that is quickly overrun by the heat and fusel spice that comes with a high alcohol content. Not surprisingly there is the strong flavor of tequila, but it is not overpowering and blends nicely with the blend of citrus and piney hops. Very hot on the finish with a residual burn on the tongue.

M: Medium to full bodied with lower carbonation levels and an "in your face" amount of alcoholic heat.

D: An interesting take on the DIPA, that works for me. Personally, I did not find the tequila overpowering or out-of-place, but the strong presence of alcohol was both overwhelming and a necessary evil to play off of the tequila.

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%

Murky brown-orange color with little head. It's actually a pretty pitiful looking beer.

Smell is some citrus hops, and tons of agave nectar, which gives it a sweet smell.

The tequila in this is overwhelming. I was hoping for something that resembled Ghandi-bot, but with a light touch of tequila, but it's more like tequila, with barely a hint of Ghandi-bot. I like tequila, so the taste wasn't bad to me, just not true to style or even slightly resembling an IPA. In fact, I could see how some people will hate this beer. It's hard to give this a score of "average" or below because it's so unique, but I also can't go as far as saying it's "good." The hops barely show at all. It's also boozy. It really tastes like a shot of tequila dropped in an IPA.

Mouthfeel is flat and hot. It has an astringent, dehydrating dry mouthfeel much like a spirit.

I enjoyed it because it is original and would recommend trying it for the experience alone, but I would have no regrets if I never had this again. Kudos to New England for trying this out, but it's not for me.

3.27/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks for the tick, Bobby.

A: The pour is a clear golden/yellow color with almost no head. On further inspection, this is pretty much flat.

S: There is a rather intense fruitiness to the nose that seems to be of limes, lemons, and oranges. Sort of appropriate for tequila, I guess. There's a bit of pepper, lots of oak, and even more tequila.

T: Again, tons of tequila comes through on the flavor. There's a fair amount of oak, too. Again, lots of citrus fruits like lemons and limes, and especially lemon peel. I get some grass notes in there as well.

M: The body is medium with almost no carbonation whatsoever.

D: I'm happy to say this was nowhere near as bad as I had feared, but I don't think I'm really interested in trying it again. Not really a big fan of this treatment.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle 148 of 713 good lookin out torino for this tick

Poured a bubbly trasnlucent golden orange in color with yellow highlights that had almost no head and left no lacing sticking to the glass. I did detect a little agave character from the tequila barrels hoppy aromas coming through as well alongside citrus, piney, and faint malt notes. The tequila flavor actually blends quite well with the citrusy hop notes but the grapefruit did help some to add more bitterness but did have agave piney accents. The brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, citrusy, tequila, hoppy, and mild malty finish. I totally dig the whole tequila experiment since I'm mexican and was liking the flavor that it added to the overall profile of the beer. It drank good and was really glad to try this trippy brew.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hooked up from a trade with Eggplantwiz. Thank you sir.

Enjoyed this with a few buddies at a mini tasting.
For the record,we were using plastic cups so we could discard after each beer.

Poured a hazy yellowish orange hue with a bit of head. Very slight lacing. Looks marvelous.

Smell. Straight on citrus punch to the olfactories. Most notably grapefruit. Even a foot away it was wafting out of the glass. Upon closer inspection there was some faint pine,and tequila.

Taste. First sip I think maybe I went a little cross eyed. Wow. The grapefruit hits you right up front. Pretty unmistakable. On the back end you pick up those mellow tequila notes. Carbonation was perfect.

Mouthfeel. I treated this one like a sipper,because I thought there would be some burn. In truth there was no burn at all. Felt pretty light for an ipa actually.

Overall,I really liked this one. Quite different and would probably say it's not for everyone. Great beer to try and a conversation piece too. Not a session beer. One and done for this guy.

2.62/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this at a post-Christmas tasting in Chicago, courtesy of AgentZero (thanks Mike!). This is the first beer I've had that was aged in tequila barrels, and I have to say it didn't really work for me. I've been a big fan of bourbon and rum, but tequila not so much...

It pours a murky golden straw, almost no bubbles nor head. I can get some hops but really the tequila and woodiness are the strongest attributes, nose-wise. It doesn't work for me, and my disclaimer is that tequila is the first liquor that I ever got sick on, so ever since I don't like to taste or smell it.

Hops come through with citrus character in the taste, which is good. But they're overwhelmed by the tequila, which is bad. Nothing else to say here.

The body is a bit of a disappointment too, as I like more carbonation in my IPAs. Overall something to try once and never again, unless you really like the flavor of tequila.

Thanks to steve8robin for this, secret santa '10. It was split evenly into 3 SA perfect pint glasses, hazy orange pour, one finger white head. The aroma is interesting, grapefruit, pineapple, tropical fruit, and agave. The beer has citrus, and tropical fruit in abundance and a slight note of tequila. It is medium in body and was easy drinking. I really liked it, kind of regreting splitting the bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing from notes. Drank this a few days after it was released. 16oz bottle poured into a nonic glass

A: Slightly cloudy peach color. Pretty similar to regular GB. Leaves a 1/2 finger white head. Some stick lacing

S: Margarita. And not those watered down ones you get from a restaurant. Get the mix, bring it home and add tequila - that's what this smells like. Some citrus notes as well (pineapple and lime)

T: If tequila beer is what the brewers were aiming for, they have succeeded. Some have commented that it was very boozy, but I found it to be well hidden. A nice subtle hop profile to add a crisp finish. Very different, in a good way. To summarize, hoppy tequila without the strong alcohol presence

M: I'd say this was medium bodied. Left a hoppy dry finish. Carbonation seemed low for the style

D: This drank phenomenally. Obviously I've never had anything like this before. Really enjoyed it. Had some of the characteristics of GB (which I love) and great tequila flavor

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to ubufan2112 for this. 500ml bottle into a DFH Signature glass. Bottle 273/713

A: Nice copper color with a thin stark white head almost 1/4" or so that recedes to a cap of bubbles. Excellent clarity, a little bit off carbonation moving from the nucleation point of the glass. A few gobs of sticky lacing. Nice.

S: Not as overwhelmingly tequila like as I had expected, but there are definitely notes of reposado tequila as well as a decent hop profile of grapefruit and ctirus. The combination of the two makes for an interesting earthy profile in the nose. I also get a lot of oak too. Overall very interesting. Odd, but by no means offensive. Maybe a touch too boozey, but not out of place.

T: Quite interesting, the barrel notes have really taken hold of the beer and a lot of the juicy hop citrus flavor that is found in many DIPAs is a bit faded, but the bitterness is there. The tequila is not nearly as present as I had expected, but in an odd sort of way complements the beer as a whole. Slight bit of booziness on the finish which adds a touch of astringency to the bitterness. Has a very distinct mint profile that I've noticed in Scandinavian IPAs. The more the beer warms the more the tequila shows up, but in no way is that bad as it isn't cheap tequila, definitely no Pepe Lopez or the other cheap crap we got a hold of in college. Very enjoyable.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, but its exactly spot on for a big beer. Barrel aging and the notes of tequila really dry this beer out. Fairly hot as well, but it works.

D: This beer is definitely interesting, and without a doubt polarizing. If you aren't a tequila fan, definitely no, this beer will not work for you, however even if you remotely enjoy fine tequila this is an enjoyable experience. I would definitely drink more of it, but not in the same night, in this instance the 500ml bottle is the perfect serving size. A unique beer, and one that I'm very happy to try. However, I don't see this catching on with the masses in the same manner that bourbon/brandy aged beers have. Courageous effort, and unlike any beer I've ever had.

Thanks Mike!

2.12/5  rDev -46.5%

Thanks (?) goes to AgentZero for bringing this gem to our post-Christmas tasting. Poured from 500ml bottle into 3F wine glass.

A - Pours a golden/orange color, white head, some bubbles here and there and some spotty lacing.

S - Tequila, hops, some citrus notes. Not really digging this one too much...not sure if a DIPA and tequila goes that well together. The hops in the Ghandi Bot are great along and I think the oak/tequila hurts this one.

T - Same as the nose, not really digging the hops + tequila + barrel. Ugh, after a couple of sips, I'm looking towards the drain. There's some fruit notes in there but I'm really just put off with this beer to continue.

M - Light to medium, crisp and clean, slightly oily finish.

D - No more, please. Mike, why oh why did you torment me with this one? After a few ounces, I had to drain pour the rest. Not my cup 'o tea.

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%

Picked up a bunch of these at the brewery to drink and share with friends. This is the 3rd bottle I have opened, #350 of 713, and unfortunately it is way undercarbonated like the first two were. I see from some reviews that some bottles were carbonated, but I'm now 0 for 3. Oh well, to the rest...

Pours a flat , cloudy dark golden color with a brown tint to it, not the most attractive color for sure. No head, just some bubbles.

Smell doesn't suffer from the lack of carbonation, and features a big blast of citrusy hops up front, grapefruity, bitter and pithy, along with quite a dose of tequila and wood. Hops are earthy with some pine as well. A very bold nose and I really think the two components work very well together in terms of aromas.

Taste also has a ton of hoppiness as well as a ton of tequila. Lots of grapefruit rind, some sweeter juicy ruby red, with a pithy and deep bitterness. Hops are earthy and resiny as well,. The tequila is a bit on the hot side and isn't quite as woody as the smell. It gets hotter as it warms, and boozier too. It actually drinks best when it's cold, as the hops fade a bit and it gets a little harsh at times when it warms. Still, I like the flavor profile and have learned from the previous 2 bottles to pour only a little at a time and drink it cold.

The mouthfeel does suffer from the lack of carbonation, but is a medium-full body that is extremely dry in the finish. The bitterness dries the hell out of it, although it does have a nice oiliness to it as well.

I was really excited about this beer and I still am just because it is so unique. Still, I can't say that it was a smashing success by any means. I think that tequila and hops work well together, but this beer was certainly rough around the edges. I love the aroma, and I like the flavor very much when it's cold, but it does go downhill as it warms. A bit too hot, way undercarbonated, but a cool idea that I hope they attempt again, with some tweaks of course.

3.21/5  rDev -18.9%

Bottle provided by Mike drank from Narke tulip...Medium straw, looks watery, whispy thin white head...The aroma is not appealing, lots of tequila, but in a weird medicinal finish, not very good at all...The taste thankfully loses most of the tequila except on the finish where the ends alcoholy tequila. More hop character throughout, slightly bitter.

Not my thing, but interesting, hope this isn't a trend though.

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle 456/713

Appearance: Best part of the beer, a bit of a letdown after the drinking commences. Nice off-white head with gorgeous lacing all the way down the cup; straw-yelllow-honey pour

Smell: Grapefruit, pine, citrus pith, bitter hops

Taste: Very bitter, with citrus pith, pine resin, grapefruit and pineapple. A bit boozy. Perhaps some tequelia, more margarita really.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, good carbonation

Drinkability: Too bitter for me to heavily imbibe on this one.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle courtesy of Joe... Thanks for the Xmas box of goodies.

A- Unfiltered/hazy golden color with 2 fingers of fluffy white head that leaves clumps of lacing on my glass.

S- Typical double IPA scents of citrus, mango, pineapple and a subtle hint of dry oak and spicy anejo tequila, not sure of the barrels used but this smelled like Partida anejo.

T- Right away you are hit with the double IPA flavors of bitter hops and a decent sweet malt flavor and it finishes with a spicy tequila flavor and dry oak. Pretty good but the tequila was a little hot on the finish which brought this down .5 on grading.

M- Medium mouthfeel due to the unfiltering and tequila barrel aging. Tequila was definately spicy and dry and a little hot which brought the score down .5

D- Drinkability was good and I like the idea of aging in tequila but this was slightly hot and spicy.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

-light golden color with a good looking medium head with good retention. quite foggy and a good stack of yeast at the bottom of the bottle

-very new smell profile. good hops, the tequila shows up in the form of agave. some citrus in the background too

-good hops character up front and then a solid oak flavor and some "tequila" throughout although it is not very strong, but thats probably a good thing. there is some bitterness in the end tha comes from both the hops and alcohol thats new taste.

-good enough. solid carbness for an IPA, with some lingering warmness

-i had a good time drinking this beer. it was a new experience for me, but it was nice. the whole time i just had cactus in the back of my head. for some reason the mix of hops and agave made me think cactus. thanks nevins!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks for this fantastic holiday gift Matt & Rob, totally made my day.

Pours a hazy golden straw with a bit of unfiltered micro particle goodness floating around. Not large chunks like you would see in a Big A from Smuttynose, but a nice healthy dosing of tiny particles that added flavor!

Aroma of tropical fruit, peaches, caramelized 2row, slightly subdued hops when compared to Gandhi bot (same thing I know, but the tequila barrel has made this much more rounded out and more forgiving on the IBU scale) Oak . tequila and agave are definitely present, but man do they taste amazing in here. The sweetness really forgives the hopped up nature of Gandhi Bot, and either the barrel somehow added sweetness to the flavor or the combination of just the right amount of tequila barrel aging has made this one a winner.

Medium mouthfeel with a light carbonation which up the drinkability of this brew. Will there be a next year? I will be getting my share if so.

If anybody has this in their inventory I would say drink it now, it is fantastic and the hops have mellowed to round this beer out.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into two glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to ineedabeerhere for the hook-up!

Bottle # 48/713

A: Pours a lovely hazy orange color. Loads of suspended sediment sitting underneath a thinnish wafer of off white head. Some random specks of lace left on the glass.

S: Holy aroma! Tropical hops with loads of oak, agave, dried wildflowers, pears, peaches, and spiced apples.

T: See above. Some caramel and toffee. Heather said she tasted a repisado (aged, not a white) tequila. Lots of barrel flavor.

M: Relatively sticky and some sweetness (initially) with a killer spicy dryness that comes on in the middle and hangs around through the long finish.

D: We loved this (Heather is a big tequila fan) but we both could see how this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. It started to wear a little on me by the end of the glass and I think a 12oz bottle would've been (for me) the perfect serving size to share.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks Brian for sending this my way! Bottle 157/713

A- Body is a somewhat murky pale amber hue. Pours with A 1/2 finger foamy bright white head. Traces of lacing are left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is good and quite interesting. Citrus and tropical fruits are the highlight with an almost equal amount of tequila behind it-a faint hint of pine also comes through.

T- Flavor is milder but very similar to the nose. Lots of fruit upfront-grapefruit, orange, mango...etc. with mild tequila in the background. The finish is almost all (moderate) tequila flavor with citrus and a mild kick of pine and spicy hops in the background- the barrel is there-but barely detectable. What lingers is a slight tequila heat, some pine resin and a touch of fruit.

M-Medium slightly soft carbonation and light body that is both smooth and tequila consistent.

D- This is good, very interesting brew. It really has a margarita feel to it-and I like Magaritas. The tequila is good-but a little hot. I do wish this brew weren't a one time thing and Id like to see more tequila brews out there.

50/713

A: Poured a cloudy golden yellowish color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Agave, wood and hops

T: Has big tequila taste, wood, fresh agave, foral notes, hop bite and light booze

M: Dry, clean, bitter, medium body

D: Good and unique

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

At the Splinter Black release. What's wrong with a little tequila at 6 in the morning? I shared it with Stakem and his friends and this is likely bottle 261 also.

A: The tequila-barrel aged DIPA has a coppery amber hue, on the lighter side of that spectrum. A small head came along with the ale.

S: The smell really grabbed me (as the taste soon did too). Citrusy hops are present but not as strong as one would expect from a DIPA. The kicker is at the mid-point through to the finish. A wooden aroma, boozy with that unique sickly tequila smell comes on with a vengeance. The nose is watered down, only slightly mind you, tequila. It reminded me of some awful run-ins with Mezcal and its evil worm.

T: The taste continues the tequilita presence. I use the diminuitive because the tequila has been significantly watered down by the beer. The DIPA offers grassy, citrus hops, strong enough to carry the ale in their own. They run headlong into the barrel's wooden, tequila flavor and, in addition to diluting it, silently fade into the background. The tequila bite is the lingering flavor.

M: A very novel concept, using tequila barrels. The flavor that is left behind is sweet and sharp, a less-hazardous dose of the spirit. This beer is a boundary pusher.

D: I'm not certain that I could handle an entire bottle. Best left to moderation, the tequila is an unusual element that works well. The beer is better than my score suggests.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Zapata Bot from New England Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 190 ratings