Zapata Bot

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Zapata BotZapata Bot
Notes: Barrel Aged G-Bot DIPA A Massively hopped double IPA with notes of orange rind, dank pine and citrus with a deceptive drinkability aged and tripel dry hopped in Tequilla barrels
ABV - 9 % IBU’s - 85
Kettle Hops - Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, Columbus & Mosaic Dry Hops - Simcoe, Columbus, Mosaic & Citra
Malt - Pilsner, Crystal, Dextrose
Yeast - American Ale
OG - 17.5
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 71 | Ratings: 190

Review #666 and yes, this beer deserves this spot because it truely is more evil than Dark Lord.

Thanks to Dan for bringing these back from New Haven to share with us. The bottles we sampled were hand numbered and ranged from as low as 18 to as high as 450 out of 713. In total, I had a chance to sample from 3 different bottles and the level of tequilla influence has been very, very variable. One bottle was just perfect, it had hints of tequilla with the base Gandhi Bot playing the major role in the brew. One of the other bottles was an absolute tequilla overloaded mess that tasted like nothing but tequilla shots poured into the base beer.

This review is based specifically off of bottle # 261 prior to having any other samples from other bottles. It was consumed in a side by side with the non BA version.

Poured into a 6oz snifter, it appears a hazed orange color with yeast and other particulate hanging suspended all through the body despite a slow pour. An offwhite cap of head appears and fades to a thin layering across the top of the brew. It leaves a leggy amount of lace clinging to the glass and is a deeper darker colored orange than the normal version.

The aroma is straight tequilla. There is no avoiding it, the nose of this beer just screams Viva le Mexico. In the background are some faint lemony scents blended with the bold tequilla heat that numbs the nose. Once this brew warms, I struggle to enjoy the aroma and pick out some nuances of floral hops, citrus rind, some oaky woodsy notes and some grassy herbal character. It is there, but very faint compared to the tequilla.

The taste is no surprise, if you dislike tequilla you are going to hate this brew. Zapata Bot has a flavor which triggers your imagination into wanting to consume abnormal amounts of peyote. It's like a mescaline trip where your crazy uncle Zapata takes off his sombrero and squeezes the sweaty bitter tequilla laden droplets into a shot glass and dares you to drink it. So not knowing any better you do it and it tastes like straight tequilla with not only a burning pain of alcohol but an equally bold bitter componet that is herbal, rindy, woodsy and drying that makes your tongue twist. A faint toasty grain character is evident but doesn't provide any residual sweetness.

This is medium bodied brew that is so confusing the carbonation doesn't even know what to do. Some sips it seems light which is understandable, it probably didn't want to hang around. Yet other sips are moderately carbonated. A bit of greenness surrounds this brew making it seem yeasty, most likely due to the particles stuck in suspension. This brew was a wild trip. In a way I want to drink another one soon to share the experience with an unsuspecting individual but it is quite hot right now and I can't help but wonder what would happen if one of these was aged.

Hats off to Rob and Matt at NEBCO for the creativity here. I hate tequilla but for some rediculous reason I thought this would be a good idea to buy a couple. I don't regret it.

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

Split a bottle this weekend with a couple of friends. Kind of a let down to all of us. Poured a hazy medium orange color, with a lingering off white head. Aromas of orange juice, grapefruit rind, agave nectar and reposado tequila. Somewhat watery, with a thin mouthfeel. Flavors of tequila, citrusy hops and orange, with a very bitter finish.

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%

500ml bottle thanks to eggplantwiz. I shared the bottle w/ two other people but one didn't like it, so I had 3/4 of the bottle, I'd guess. Don't remember the bottle number... 47? out of 713.

A- Nice hazy orangey color. Thin head, active carbonation.

S- Amazing nose on this one. Fruity, floral agave notes. Lilac, lavender, honeysuckle, even rose. Fruity hop bouquet is underneath all of this. Quite amazing.

T- The taste is fantastic as well- no mistaking the ghandi-bot base beer, but when the hop blast comes in it's tempered by a cool, almost minty smoothness from the tequilla. Really complex. Great finish. Tequilla takes the GB in a new direction, and I'm diggin' it.

M- Boozy, but good carbonation- more than I was expecting. I'm amazed at the balance here- the DIPA and tequilla work well together but still remain distinct. Fantastic.

D- fairly high- Although not for everyone, I'd drink another no problem. I really really really like this beer, and I'm not a big tequilla fan. Here's hoping we see it again.

Seems like there was a lot of bottle variation? Hmm. This one was damn near perfect.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Received this beer as an extra from gamanley god bless him! I've been dying to try this since I heard some Gandhi was sitting in Tequila barrels. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Bottle: 243 of 713

Looks hand sealed

Appearance- Pours a fairly light yellow with a teeny tiny bright white head that dissipates very quickly. Not much of a cap is left but a thin collar and a bit of spotty lacing is left behind.
Smell- The tequila aspect in the nose is 100% unmistakable. The agave is potent and as is a sting of alcohol. There is a definite floral bouquet in the nose with hints of lilac and lavender. Maybe even a touch of bubblegum in there.
Taste- Starts with a fairly warm kick of booze and tequila that is unmistakable. The tequila is surprisingly bold and somewhat fruity. The beer isn't overly bitter and the Gandhi Bot is all but gone in its current form. Like the nose, it has a fairly floral taste with lavender and agave tones. A touch of booze in the finish along with something that is slightly soapy like.
Mouthfeel- Pretty thin with not a lot of carbonation. Definitely the weakest part of the beer without a doubt.
Drinkability- Not too shabby. I laugh at the rest of the reviews because it seems to be a beer that you love or hate. I'm definitely sitting dead in the middle. It's tasty but the tequila is very overpowering. If there was a bit more IPA and just a touch of Tequila, this thing would be a little better. But it is what it is and I did enjoy it. Very unique! Thanks Greg!

2.16/5  rDev -45.5%

Thanks to Jim for sending me this treat which had not been on my radar.

Pours a murky golden copper with two fingers of head and spotty lacing.

The aroma is quite strong with floral hops and a stinging tequila burn. Not much else to say really, very unique.

The flavor is a bit watery with some floral and earthy hops, lots of bready malts, dry oakiness, and some alcohol burn. I can't say that I can pinpoint tequila as the culprit. The flavor is poor here, there is just nothing positive to note.

The body is medium and the finish is full of acetone.

Overall this one is unfortunately a drain pour. I enjoy tequila so my hopes were high, they just weren't met.

2.03/5  rDev -48.7%

Bottle #247/713. Consumed on December 10th, 2010. Previous bottle (#246) consumed about a week ago, with the same observations.

Hard pour into an oversized wine glass. Brew is a nice hazy orange, but even with the strong pour there is no head at all.

Smell is, dare I say it, weak. A faint whiff of tequila is all that comes through. Where are the hops? Should be more smell to a DIPA.

Taste follows the smell, but disappoints more. Tequila flavor dominates, like a watered down margarita. The faintest hint of hop flavor hidden back there somewhere, but you're not really sure. Tequila flavor is not strong, but the lack of other flavors allows it to dominate.

Carbonation is very low on this one, beer tastes quite flat. Mouthfeel is not good.

Flaws make this not very drinkable.

No smell, no taste, flat. Would not drink this one again.

I like to see NEB experiments, and I find the idea of a tequila aged DIPA very interesting, but at least in this implementation is just did not work well at all.

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

bottle # 197/713

Pours a hazy medium orange color with low head development. I had to pour pretty vigorously to get a one finger head that didn't last long, but leaves some lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome - smells a little like the desert after a rain. Citrusy notes from the hops blend very nicely with tequila aromas and a touch of vanilla from the wood.

Citrus and pine flavors are up front and blend into a blast of tequila in the middle and then reassert themselves toward the finish. The fruity hop flavors wander back and forth from orange to lime and play very well against the tequila, much the same way a margarita works.

The mouthfeel is juicy and smooth accentuated by a bit (but not as much) of the pepperyness present in Gandhi Bot. Overall this is a highly drinkable, complex and unique beer. I didn't know if the tequila barrel would work, but the citrusy hops and heft of a double IPA are the perfect foil for the barrel treatment. Well done! Wish I had grabbed more than a few bottles...

3.32/5  rDev -16.2%

500ml bottle marked 26/713. Sampled from a tulip 12/09/10. Not entirely sold on the concept of a Tequila barrel aged IPA but I was excited to get this bottle if only for the name. Thanks again Joe.

Body of this beer is a pale kumquat color. A bright white head rises and promptly settles leaving some decent lace. This bottle was loaded with sediment but a careful pour kept most of it out of the glass.

Aroma consists mostly of the citric and grassy characteristics of the excellent base beer, Gandhi Bot. There's some oak notes hiding in there but at least for now my fears of a intensely tequila spiked beer have been partially assuaged. Now to drink...

Wow, really unique tasting beer. The bitterness is amped up significantly from the base beer but the real story is the strange notes the Tequila barrels added. Wood obviously plays a part but I'm also getting green olives and a light touch of smoke. Toward the end of the glass all I can really taste is the Tequila, they must have used very wet barrels. Can't say I've had anything like it.

Overall an interesting experiment but even as much as I loved chasing my tequila with ale in my early drinking years I'm not exactly clamoring for other brewers to make something similar. Glad I had a chance to try it but put this and the base beer in front of me a dozen times and I'll probably reach for the Gandhi Bot every time.

3.24/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a still, milky peach color with just a wisp of lace.

The aroma is similar to Ghandi Bot, nice and hoppy with pine, peach, and citrus notes. It actually isn't as vibrant as Ghandi Bot. There is a bit of a general tequilla note in the nose, which comes out more as it warms.

As the appearance suggested, this is an under carbonated beer. A bit more carbonation could lift the flavors on the palate and give it a more lively feel. The flavor reminded me of a less lively Ghandi Bot. I'm not sure if it's the longer aging or the low carbonation, but the vibrancy of a fresh Ghandi Bot is missing. There is an interesting tequilla bite and warmth to it, but I prefer the fresh hops. An interesting experimental beer. If they make this again, hopefully it has higher carbonation and a more vibrant tequilla flavor, because I do see some potential here.

Edit: After a more recent tasting, I found the tequila flavors to be stronger and more complex than on my first bottle.

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

Bottle # 504/713.

Just stopped in the other day and they still had 3 cases left, so I picked up 2 instead of hitting the 6 limit so other people can have a chance.

I was reading the other reviews and one thing most mention is the lack of carbonation. So with that in mind, I did a really aggressive pour and ended up with about 2 1/2 3 fingers width of really thick and foamy off white head. The big bubbles are having trouble sticking to the glass, but the top of the head, as it recedes slowly, is sticking on the glass very well.

It pours darker than Gandhi-Bot, and looks almost like their Sea Hag IPA. It's a very hazy dark amber with brown in the middle.

The smell, whoa. There's still a fair amount of citrus hops, which G-bot is known for. Pineapple.. lemon.. and very zesty. There's a decent bit of malts there too. But the tequila is what is so striking about the smell. It seems like a signature anejo perfumy smell, but I could be wrong. But without a doubt, there is no mistaking the tequila in this nose, and I LOVE it.

Taste? Gandhi-bot with a wonderful tequila twist! I love hoppy/citrusy IPAs, and I love tequila, this was a match made for people like me :)

Right away I am picking up the sweet and spicy zip of the tequila, and it does taste like tequila. But that fades away into a mellowed out G-bot. Hops are still very prevalent and offer a nice rush of citrus and decent bitterness. Much more malt in this offering, and you can get a hint of some woody/oak tones too. The end of the sip I was hit by a very warming alcohol burn in the throat. I wasn't expecting it, but I'm not complaining either.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and I was lucky to get a bottle that has a good amount of carbonation. It's s dry beer and a bit clingy.

Drinkability is very very good. The flavoring is right on for me, as I love both things represented here. The carbonation is very good, and I would defintely drop the score overall if it were flat.

Bottom line; trade for this beer if you can. For my knowledge it's the first IPA(and I think beer overall) ever aged in tequila barrels. If there are any left at the brewery, go get them.

This stuff is meant to be consumed as fresh as possible.

3.41/5  rDev -13.9%

I love regular G-bot so I was eager to try this. Pours flat as a pancake, bummer. No head retention, nothing. Nice color though, like regular hazy orange copper. Aroma is pretty wild (I can imagine how much better it would be carbed). I pick up pinapple, lime, other citrus, some hop aroma but not much, and plenty of tequila with faint notes of oak. The flavor is well...I think it's really tequila forward, some malt body with caramel malts. A bit of hop presence. Mouthfeel is flat as stated. Really not all to drinkable between the hotness, the overpowering tequila flavor, and general lack of balance. Frankly this beer diserves a fair shot with a well carbed bottle, I hope my 2nd one is carbed if so I will edit this review.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550ML bottle bought at the Brewery poured into a snifter glass. Bottle number 265 of 713

A- Pours a nice golden yellow orange with practically no head just a nice white rim around the glass that ends up as a cluster of bubbles. Insanely sticky alcohol lacing on the sides. Some of the best I've seen for a DIPA.

S- First breath gave me a nice pineapple and citrus fruitiness with a boat load of insane hops like the normal G-Bot. But after giving it one good swirl around the glass you get this really strong but nicely balanced Tequila and alcohol not the blends so well with the hops and fruit.

T- Really nice smooth caramel malts up front that coat the tongue but once it goes down those brutal bitter earthy hops suck the moisture right out leaving you insanely dry and loaded with hop flavor. On top of the bitter is a nice subtle sweet fruitiness much like the smell. After giving it a nice swirl the Tequila and alcohol come out of its cage and hit you just as strong as the hops! But in a good way!!!

M- Medium bodied with moderate to pretty low carbonation and a nice bitter dry finish for a DIPA.

Overall this is probably one of the best barrel aged brews I've come across. The Tequila and hops mix so perfectly together as though they were made for each other. This is just another reason why NEBCO will forever be one of my favorite brewery's!

SkÅL!

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottle 2/713 into a Duvel tulip.

A: It has Gandhi's hazy, orange body, but a head that's clearly that of a young bottle-conditioned brew: one finger, super-frothy, and essentially white. Surprisingly strong retention makes up for the head's coarseness somewhat, but the bubbles are too big to cling as lacing. Definitely a little under-carbonated, but not unacceptable.

S: Whoa. Craziness. Grassy hops, oaky vanilla, and smooth, spicy tequila. The hops are nowhere near those of the base beer, but the huge barrel presence more than makes up for it.

T: The tequila opens things up with a major bang, with herbal, grassy, vanilla, and oak notes all melding into a smooth wave of crazily complex, uniquely boozy goodness. The hops assert themselves by closing things out with a big herbal/citrusy bitter finish. Some oak and tequila linger in the aftertaste. Everything comes together to make this taste like a hop margarita. Insane, and insanely good.

M: Feels somewhat like a margarita, too - smooth, slightly sticky, and low carbonation. Not my favorite kind of mouthfeel, but it works well in this case - the oaky, bittersweet concoction really coats the mouth nicely, intensifying an already intense experience.

D: The huge spirit presence makes this a bit of a sipper, but it's worth it.

Notes: Huge props to the guys at NEBCo for making this dream a reality. I know it was a big hassle getting the barrels, but I think that this mad experiment was a success. It definitely won't appeal to everybody, and the carbonation issue keeps it from being everything it could be, but it's simply amazing to me how profoundly and uniquely this barrel treatment changed the base beer. Here's to more groundbreaking in the future!

Cheers!

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle 293/713

Appearance: Pours a murky honey color with a one inch head (after a hard pour); the retention was reasonable and leaves some nice clumps of lace around the pint glass

Smell: Pineapple and citrus peel dominate and, as the beer warms, the tequila aromatics become distinct, with some piercing heat

Taste: A little hint of bready malt and then the hops take over, with the pineapple and pith, up front, and the tequila elements arriving in the back, particularly after swirling the liquid across the tongue; after the swallow, the bitterness lingers aggressively, along with the heat from the alcohol; distinct woody flavors in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body but lacking adequate carbonation

Drinkability: Kudos to New England for their creativity; I'm not sure that tequila barrels are a natural pairing for a DIPA, but it sure is an interesting brew

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a pint glass and special thanks to Rob from the brewery for waiting up for us.

Appearance: Cloudy faint yellow, and brown with large bubbles with very little head retention. No lacing.

Smell: I get a ton of booze in the nose with tropical fruit. I got a hint of melted sugar from maraschino cherry's with a subtle heat.

Taste: Unfortunately this is flat but alas I will review it. Opens with a subdued malt backbone as I get pineapple, and papaya as the middle approaches. In the middle I got a sharp notes of hops soaked in rum as floral hop flood my palate as I get a bunch of earthy wood soaked with, you guessed it tequila. It give me the shivers... right at the end I get a intense spike in hop bitterness which lingers way into the aftertaste and more.
As this warms I get a green flavor which I can only describe as taking the color of the hops and infusing this into the flavor profile. There is a whole pepper corn heat that I get throughout the sip as well.

Mouth-feel: Unfortunately this was flat for me but I hope that my next bottle is carbonated. Medium bodied with all the flavors going on.

Drink-ability: After a long day at work I was looking forward to this brew, other than the lack of carbonation which seems like just a bottle to bottle issue not a bad brew. I would definitely have this again.I recommend this to those seeking a unique IPA with tons of spicy, fruity and boozy profile. Worth a try for the true IPA lover.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Just got this one yesterday from the brewery. Poured from a 500ml (#239/713) bottle into a Blue Point snifter. Fresh as can be per recommendation of the brewer.

A: Pours a 1 finger frothy white head with some giant bubbles and moderate retention. Beer is semi-cloudy faded grapefruit. Lacing is frothy and web-like with decent legs and retention.

S: Nose is certainly unique. Fruit is pineapple and citrus. A sprinkle of cane sugar sweetness and a touch of piney hops in the back. Overtones of chili peppers and sweet alcohol that I'm guessing are the tequila barrels peaking out. Appetizing and quite aromatic.

T: This beer's a bit hard to understand off the bat. Opens sharp booze, chili, lime, and spice. Piney and citrus hop bitterness in the back migrates to the forefront as the booze slowly fades. Still a bitter chili pepper bite in the back. More lime towards the end. Finish is a spicy hop bitterness that leaves a piney, slightly astringent bitter aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Lively and aggresive in the mouth but smooth and oily going down. The perfect combination. Slightly dry at times with a sharp finish and a filmy, sticky aftertaste.

D: Keeping my fingers crossed that this one becomes a once-yearly release. A very unique beer and unlike any other IIPA I've had. The tequila barrels definitely make their presence known here. Hopefully I'll get a chance to have this one fresh, again, in the future. Worth seeking out!!

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Chalice on Friday 11/26/2010. Popped it fresh as recommended by the brewery. Bottle was number 80/713.

A: Poured a cloudy apricot-orange with very little head.

S: A very fruity aroma - mostly citrus predominantly grapefruit.

T: Tasted slightly weaker than expected. Aged in tequila barrels, I expected the taste to be slightly overpowering (as it is in many bourbon aged barrels)... thankfully it wasn't. The tequila also seems to have lessened the bitterness of the Gandhi-Bot.

M: This beer goes down smooth, with very little carb-bite. It has a slight after taste - a definite result of the tequila. And yes, there is a slight burn of the mouth as a result of the tequila. In my consumption, this was evident after I had made it through half the glass and it stuck for short time after completion.

Additional Notes: It was a definitely worth a try and I will drink it again. I don't sense as much of a beer-rita taste/mouthfeel as expected. It's a nice twist to the many barrel aged beers floating around today.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Very light fizzy head fades instantly over hazy grapefruit pink orange color.

Nose has lots or fresh hops, light citrus grapefruit, light pine hops, some oak and woody ethers and light tequila.

Taste has quite a bit of tequila with some booze taste and oak and woody ethers. Pretty bitter with earthy, grapefruit and citrus, and juicy fruits. The oak and tequila really mellow out the bitterness and hops. Slight sweet flavor dries a bit. A long bitter finish with some light tequila lingering a well as citrus and grapefruit.

Mouth is medium bodied with almost no carbonation.

Drinkabilty is ok for what it is, light boozy taste, and thee hops and bitterness are rounded off well. The only real issue is lack of carbonation but I can feel their pain of carbonating barrel aged beers.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Got this on Saturday at Nebco. Bottle 29 out of 713. Have been waiting to try this since the release of Ghandi Bot and after hearing what the guys intended on doing and the tribulations they went through to get a serviceable tequila barrel.

A) Murky orange color, bit of a thin head.

S) Definitely get the hops, again kind of mild no note of tequila in the smell

T) Wow you get the floral hops up front and then a nice peppery taste followed by a bit of a boozy finish (ahh the tequila).

M) Sweet and bitter the hops and the tequila really balance out.

D) Very easy...maybe too much so. Matt had mentioned that this was about 8%.

Definitely a fun beer to try. Very tasty and out of the ordinary. Think I am going to age my other bottle for a bit.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got some of these at NEBC. Glad to finally get some of these and try them. Bottle 61 of 713. 500ml bottle tried side by side with standard Ghandi Bot...

A: A nice murky goldenrod color. A small white lace bubbly head that stays atop the brew. Decent.

S: Smells a nice floral scent with som creamy malt blended in. Very faint hints of tequila on the backend. The more I sniff, the more margarita scent I get. Very good.

T: Tastes of a tequila bite blended with malts upfront. Quickly followed by a bitter floral hop and more tequila barrel. Some creamy sugars on the backend. Good.

M: Medium body with a very good carbonation. Leaves a watery bitter finish. Very good.

D: Surprisingly, this goes down very easy. Very good.

All in all, I feel like I need some salt. Definitely like a highly drinkable margarita. When compared to regular Ghandi Bot, it definitely has more a bite but also more of a mellow blend of flavors. So glad I tried this back to back with regular Ghandi Bot. The differences really shine through. The Ghandi is more of a watery bitter IPA and the Zapata is more of a smooth boozy IPA. For a very unique take on IPA, definitely try this one.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle 60/713 thanks to steve8robin, I am the first to review a beer I have been waiting months to try. This is Gandhi-Bot, aged in Tequila barrels. First thing to blow me away is the color. Almost like a murky, dirty IPA. Pushing brown to be honest. Some floaties and sediment about and one of the finest heads I am yet to see on a beer.

Not a huge nose at first, but I do pick up some hops for sure. First and foremost, you don't pick up a ton of tequila, if any at all. Smells like a nice, spicy hoppy beer, but you know you are in for something different. There is a sweet smell (think pear, etc) in there as well that is fruity and intensifies the aroma. Nose gets amazing as it warms up. Unlike any DIPA I have had.

The taste is very interesting. Imagine a DIPA with pepper notes and spice from the tequila and you just about have it. There is a dryness that comes from the tequila wood as well.

I had this fresh (2 days after on-sale) and I think it would be best right away, however, this could possibly be a DIPA to age. I'd love to see what happens. As the hops mellow, you may pick up more of the tequila.

Seems to me that the tequila barrels added an extra "oomph" to what you normally find in an IPA/DIPA. As for ABV, not sure, but you do feel it halfway through. A great example of what barrel aging and especially, tequilla barrels, can add to a beer. As it warms, all the elements of the barrel are noticeable.

Tastebuds are shot after this one folks as it is an aggressive, spicy beer. Very well done. Seek it out.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Zapata Bot from New England Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 190 ratings