Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused | New England Brewing Co.

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Homebrew35 on 01-28-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.66/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

On-cask at Prime 16 (where else?) into a couple different glasses. Bulk of review from a snifter.

A: Black body with a rich, creamy 2 fingers of light brown head. Great retention and practically unbelievable lacing - at one point my glass was completely covered with lace, with perfectly spaced stipples facing me, a solid diagonal band showing where my last sip had been, and delicate, unbroken bands covering the far side where the elixir had rested between blissful mouthfulls. Quite possibly the most beautiful beer I've ever seen, and from a cask, too.

S: Sensing greater demand, I started off with a Cherry-Vanilla IST so as not to miss out. My friend next to meet got Coffee to start, and as soon as I smelled his I started practically chugging my CVIST so as to be able to focus my attention on the best-smelling stout in existence. Seriously.

Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! 100% deliciously aromatic coffee is simultaneously rich and delicate, bold and fresh, roasty and chocolatey. Incredible. I could smell this for hours.

T: Coffee simply floors me right away, with some dark chocolate, tobacco, and hops bitterness backing it up. So delicious I'm practically crying.

M: Rich, full, supple body replete with soft, fine effervescence. Perfect, and especially remarkable for delivering such fantastic life from a cask.

D: This is my new desert island beer - I don't care that desert islands are hot, I'd still rather drink this than anything else. I feel like I could have destroyed the whole cask by myself if given the opportunity. Absolutely no trace of the 9.2% can be found, and the interplay of sweetness and bitterness is indescribably perfect.

Notes: I'm not sure I've gotten this across yet, but I really really really loved this beer. It took me well over 400 reviews to get to my first perfect 5 (Heady Topper on tap), so I was shocked when it was so quickly followed up by this one. If I could have given this beer a 6 for aroma, though, I totally would have (and so would HopStoopid120). After taking just my first sip of this beer, though, there was never any doubt in my mind that I'd found my second sip of perfection.

I didn't think anything could turn the CVIST into an afterthought for me (it's an awesome beer!), but this totally did. The blend of the two that a few of us got to try was pretty epic as well, and for a second I thought that it might have actually been better than either, but the more I drank of the Coffee IST the more I became set in my belief that it's not just the single best coffee stout I've ever had, it's the best stout of any kind that I've ever had. Just a couple weeks ago I drank a ton of great coffee stouts side-by-side, and this cask was simply in an entirely different league. Thank you to Prime for making this event possible, and thank you to Matt, Rob, and everyone else who helped bring this into being.

Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On cask at New York Pizza. Pours a dark brownish black color with zero head. No lacing. The aroma is a big whiff of coffee with dark chocolate, roasted malts, and earth. The taste is dark chocolate and coffee followed by some roasted malts. Earth and bitter dark chocolate at the end. Coffee finish. Light and velvety mouthfeel. Moderate alcohol presence. This beer has eluded me for a long time now but I finally got to have it. I probably prefer the regular Stout Trooper but this version is still outstanding. Overall, get it if you have a chance.

4.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that leaves some lacing down the glass as the head fades.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, big coffee/espresso aromas dominate. It has a sweetness to it mixed with the coffee and hints of chocolate that make this beer so perfectly smelling it's uncanny.
T: Tastes like the nose which is really fortunate but even better because the coffee flavors are mixed in. Big dark malt flavors mixed with hints of chocolate and caramel but mainly a nice roasted coffee flavor.
M: Very rich, smooth, perfect amount of carbonation, warming, heavy bodied but you expected that.
D: Very drinkable, if this were one of their all-year-round staples it would sell so fast that it would still be just as hard to find.

4.48/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +0.2%

Just looked back and found this in my notes from last years tap takeover at Prime 16.

Pours a motor oil black with a thin mocha head. Good retention on the head and lacing down the glass until the last sip.

Smell is good but extremely strong. Coffee is obviously very prominent with chocolate taking the backseat here.

BOOM COFFEE! Love the in your face roasted coffee taste. Really strong roasted notes, not extremely complex but for a coffee forward stout this is perfect!

Mouthfeel is perfect from the cask just like the cherry vanilla version. Creamy and smooth, goes down perfect with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall it's a shame that this is only made once a year but makes it an even bigger treat to look forward to. Very drinkable for a big stout. Loved this beer, would have it every day if I could.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused from New England Brewing Co.