668 Chardonneighbor Of The Beast | New England Brewing Co.

668 Chardonneighbor Of The Beast668 Chardonneighbor Of The Beast

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Our infamous 668 Belgian Strong Golden Ale was aged in Chardonnay barrels with a touch of Brettanomyces to bring you this limited run bottle. Goat Lord Approved! One of only three hundred bottles.

Added by davey101 on 03-29-2012

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to me friend Brian for sharing this with me. One of three hundred bottles, pours with a good amount of head and lots of tasty sediment. Brett is very dominating in the aroma, perfectly mild in the taste. The Chardonnay barrel is present, but not overly so. I did not think I would be able to pick up on the original 668 given to the addtion of brett, but after having a can of regular 668 afterwards, I was suprised to recognize the similar characteristics. Awesome brew, and i hope they do this again.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Been waiting for this...all hail the Goat Lord!

A) Pour reveals a nice golden hue, head quickly dissipates.

S) Probably one of the best I have had relative to the smell. Chardonnay really pops.

T) Not at all like the base beer, the phenols have muted and what you have is a nice wine forward taste. There is a lot of oak and vanilla with just a nice finish of pepper.

M) Very tart...I like!

O) I agree with the first reviewer...their best beer!

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a tulip snifter. the cap pops open and would have gushed a little if I wasnt paying attention. Poured into my glass the beer is a hazy copper to gold hue with several large sediment chunks riding the waterfall into my glass.
A large billowy bleached white head foams up 4 cm and fades very slowly leaving mostly tightly packed lattice on my glass. The head in my glass is receding very slowly yet is still slowly rising to the mouth of the bottle. Occasional additional pours are necessary to keep up with the rising foam.
Aroma is funky, musty blanket, some spicy notes and a bit of dry oak are prevalent. I also get a bit of slightly sweet fruitiness, grapes maybe?
First sip reveals an average body with tingly yet not overpowering carbonation. Texture is smooth and makes the beer easy to drink.
Flavor is some grainy and biscuit malt that moves quickly to some white grape fruitiness and funky musty notes from the Brett. Maybe a bit of oak on the finish but also a bit of bitterness possibly from booze? Otherwise no heat to indicate that this is a high ABV brew.
Finish is very dry and makes me thirsty for the next sip.
Very complex and tasty brew that sneaks up on me by the end of the bottle. Good funky beer that isnt just a mashup of flavors, definitely has start, middle, finish stages.
Quite nice brew from guys at NEBCO!

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a RR tion glass

Hazy golden color with a huge head. Settled into a healthy layer with massive, thick lacing.

Smell is damp basement and overripe fruit.

It's really hard to describe the initial taste. I'm picking up some spice, almost peppery along with the usualy funk. The 'sour' isn't overwhelming, this isn't the kind of beer that makes my face contort, but it is a sour, make no mistake. The swallow leaves a warm spot on the back of my throat, it is 10% after all.

Mouthfeel is much thicker than most wilds. It really coats the mouth and leaves you wanting more.

This is really enjoyable. I would definately seek this out again.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

668 Chardonneighbor Of The Beast from New England Brewing Co.