Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Friar's Quad | New England Brewing Co.

Friar's QuadFriar's Quad
3.79/5
Very Good
Friar's QuadFriar's Quad

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

A Belgian-style ale whose flavor is as bold as my wide's meatloaf - and four times as tasty, *b'dump-tssssh* But I kid, folks. This ale is a real mensch. We're here all week.

Added by davey101 on 05-11-2012

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.76/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first review in over a year.

I've been hanging on to this bottle for over a year, I think it is from their first run of bottles. I'm not sure how many batches they've made, but I know this is one of the first if not the first.

No head. Nothing. Nada. A very vigorous pour into a Duvel tulip and nothing but large bubbles that immediately burst. No lacing on the glass either. The color of the beer is wonderful. A sanguineous hue of garnet or burgundy.

I'm not getting a huge nosefull of smell on this one, but what I am picking up is quite nice. Very sweet and wine-like. Almost a barleywine smell, with a ton of dark fruits.

Like other have said, sweet with a hint of flat cola. Very interesting. A light mouthfeel for a quad.

I like this beer. I don't drink a ton of quads, but I'd certainly like to drink more of this one. Hopefully when the new brewery opens up we'll be seeing much more of this beer and other Belgian style beers from NEBco.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16.9oz. bottle poured into a De Struise cervoise.

Appearance: Very dark reddish brown with a 1/2" head that quickly recedes to a faint ring.

Smell: Sweetness of dark fruit, plums and raisin. A hint of alcohol and some Belgian yeast.

Taste: Well executed to style, the dark fruit is present as it is in the aroma. The cola flavor is there also which is present in some quads. There is a little bit of alcoholic heat but that is mostly masked. The only minor complaint is a very faint metallic taste in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very light in body more cola like than creamy; otherwise clean on the palate.

Overall: A solid take on the style, much, much better than most American versions, worth a try.

Friar's Quad from New England Brewing Co.