Supernaut IPA | New England Brewing Co.

Supernaut IPASupernaut IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Single hop IPA using Mosaic hops.

Added by Pete27lax on 01-30-2013

Of all the NEBCO offerings I've had (Elm City, 668, Fuzzy Baby Ducks, Gandhi Bot, Sea Hag) this one is by far my favorite. I find it to be well balanced. Not boozy not too bitter.

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

One of the best renditions of a single mosaic hop Ipa

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think this is my favorite NEBCO beer. Yes I've had Fuzzy baby Ducks but it was over a year ago and so I can't make the comparison. Plus, I was somewhat of a noob back then anyway. I live about 20 minutes from NEBCO and lately I've been there once a week. I've had all the standards and recently most of the Fat 10-er series. Locust Reign and Coriolis have been my favorites until now.

Supernaut is to me the most NEBCO of NEBCO beers - if that makes any sense. The brewery itself has a characteristic smell, outside, inside - I could smell it from the parking lot today when I grabbed my current batch of Supernaut. As all of their beers have that characteristic smell/flavor (that I think I now attribute more to their particular yeast than to any particular hop) Supernaut captures it the best. Perhaps it's the single Mosaic hop that let's that yeast character shine through. Whatever, the case, it's absolutely delicious. When the hop flavor hits, it comes in after the initial taste. And then the Mosaic taste fades into a wonderful, grassy, piney aftertaste. Poured in an open glass I can't stop sniffing it. The taste is exactly what the smell prepares you for. I've found this to often NOT be the case with many great-smelling beers, where you find that the taste is a pretty standard disappointment after a unique bouquet. With Supernaut you say "Yup, that tastes just like it smells."

So how to describe that smell and taste . . . I will go out on a limb here and say that Supernaut tends to strike me as a very pleasant weedy, dank, and bitter sauce. If you've had other mosaic single hopped beers and liked them then you'll love this one. I wouldn't say that the Mosaic taste is exactly tamed here. In fact it hits you in the face, although it's in the smell and the finish, not in the initial taste. My friend that shared the growler with me referred to it as "weed beer", "weed" literally referring to pot. I guess I never made that connection but now I do kinda feel like Mosaic hops taste similar to the way marijuana smells. I've had several Mosaic brews that are nothing like this though. NEBCO really features the Mosaic taste here. If you've ever had Blue Point Mosaic Session IPA, imagine a beer much less watery, much more concentrated in every way with an even stronger piny, metallic, bready yeast flavor that you can practically gnaw on - and you've got Supernaut. A cross between wet leaves on a warm fall day and grapefruit. I'm just not tiring of that taste. Every sip is like the first time.

If you are in the mood for a thick, Treehouse style, New England juice bomb, this is not it. This is something different and equally fantastic. To me, Supernaut captures the essence of NEBCO. While it has that characteristic NEBCO taste, it is worlds apart from their other, more standard IPA, Sea Hag. It's lighter, lower in ABV, and more doughy/bready than their double IPAs. And it takes to the max that flavor element in those doubles and imperials (Bot, Locust, Coriolis) that makes me like them so much. Then it follows all of that up with a Mosaic punch that you want to gnaw on. Bold. Delicious.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at the prime 16 tap takeover

Pours a golden color with a minimal head but good lacing and head retention.

Smell is great! Mosaic hops have a very complex smell. Very oily and fruity, similar to simcoe hops with citrus flavors.

Taste is very similar to the smell. Bitterness is mild but the flavors are very fruity. Resin notes as well.

Mouthfeel is perfect, smooth yet light.

Nebco does it again.. Love it!

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On-tap at Prime 16 during the NEBCO tap takeover 2013. The log kicked in 7 minutes. Unbelievable.

A: Hazy orange body under a finger of fine off-white head. Great retention and lacing. I have to ding it for lack of clarity, although I'm sure the cloudiness is only testament to its profound hop content, so I'm not worried.

S: Pure but complex hops. Herbal, floral, and citric all at once. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, and especially mango. Amazing.

T: Follows the nose: rich, juicy hops dominate. Citrus, tropical fruit, and sticky vegetal notes are all huge. Really balanced and intense at the same time. Delicious in every way.

M: Smooth medium body, plenty carbonation. Nice and rich.

O: Yet another amazing single-hop beer from NEBCO - it might even by my favorite so far. I wish it hadn't kicked so fast, as I really wanted to get a second pour and drink it side-by-side with Fuzzy Baby Ducks. Having had them both (plus the Double Dry Hopped FBD cask) in the same night, though, I would definitely order Mosaic first if I had my choice. Incredible beer.

Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Supernaut IPA from New England Brewing Co.