Supernaut IPA | New England Brewing Co.

Supernaut IPASupernaut IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Single hop IPA using Mosaic hops.

Added by Pete27lax on 01-30-2013

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.91/5  rDev -11.3%

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Drinking a cellar temp growler poured into a snifter. The beer pours a clear goldenrod color with a fizzy bleached white head of 2 cm and fades to a wispy surface layer after the beer pours.
The aroma is complex yet not overpowering with a wide range of hop characteristics. I find some pine notes and a bit of citrus fruit with some lemon and a bit of grapefruit. A little bit of grainy malt is buried in the back of the nose.
I take a sip and the beer is average body with gentle and rolling carbonation that tingles just a bit after each swallow. The texture is smooth and the beer is very drinkable based on physical traits.
The flavor is a bit of grainy malt and lots of grapefruit an pithy rind hops. I also get some lemon notes and a bit of lingering bitterness after each swallow.
this is a great IPA that isnt just punch you in the mouth bitter and isnt super boozy either. Very drinkable and an enjoyable brew. Glad to have gotten a growler of it as I will definitely purchase this one again.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.53/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Don't know if it lived up to the hype but good IPA

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a shaker pint, the beer is a hazy, dark golden-orange coloring, with a foamy, clingy, light, white head. Aromas of rich pine pitch and wet grass, with pepper spice, herbal notes, and subtle citrus highlights. Flavors are very hoppy bitter and green forward, rich in dried grass and pine pitch. There is a subtle citrus blend of grapefruit and orange providing a backbone to the dank and herbal hoppy overtones. Smooth, midbodied, with a solid bitter and dry edge. The aftertaste is more herbal and grassy hops, lingering on past the smooth, dry, bitter finish. Great beer!

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

cloudy, orange golden in color. Pineapple, pine, grapefruit juice and pith. Super flavorful for a less than 6% ipa. Nice bitterness level, not overly sweet. Really well balanced.

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think this is my favorite NEBCO beer. Yes I've had Fuzzy baby Ducks but it was over a year ago and so I can't make the comparison. Plus, I was somewhat of a noob back then anyway. I live about 20 minutes from NEBCO and lately I've been there once a week. I've had all the standards and recently most of the Fat 10-er series. Locust Reign and Coriolis have been my favorites until now.

Supernaut is to me the most NEBCO of NEBCO beers - if that makes any sense. The brewery itself has a characteristic smell, outside, inside - I could smell it from the parking lot today when I grabbed my current batch of Supernaut. As all of their beers have that characteristic smell/flavor (that I think I now attribute more to their particular yeast than to any particular hop) Supernaut captures it the best. Perhaps it's the single Mosaic hop that let's that yeast character shine through. Whatever, the case, it's absolutely delicious. When the hop flavor hits, it comes in after the initial taste. And then the Mosaic taste fades into a wonderful, grassy, piney aftertaste. Poured in an open glass I can't stop sniffing it. The taste is exactly what the smell prepares you for. I've found this to often NOT be the case with many great-smelling beers, where you find that the taste is a pretty standard disappointment after a unique bouquet. With Supernaut you say "Yup, that tastes just like it smells."

So how to describe that smell and taste . . . I will go out on a limb here and say that Supernaut tends to strike me as a very pleasant weedy, dank, and bitter sauce. If you've had other mosaic single hopped beers and liked them then you'll love this one. I wouldn't say that the Mosaic taste is exactly tamed here. In fact it hits you in the face, although it's in the smell and the finish, not in the initial taste. My friend that shared the growler with me referred to it as "weed beer", "weed" literally referring to pot. I guess I never made that connection but now I do kinda feel like Mosaic hops taste similar to the way marijuana smells. I've had several Mosaic brews that are nothing like this though. NEBCO really features the Mosaic taste here. If you've ever had Blue Point Mosaic Session IPA, imagine a beer much less watery, much more concentrated in every way with an even stronger piny, metallic, bready yeast flavor that you can practically gnaw on - and you've got Supernaut. A cross between wet leaves on a warm fall day and grapefruit. I'm just not tiring of that taste. Every sip is like the first time.

If you are in the mood for a thick, Treehouse style, New England juice bomb, this is not it. This is something different and equally fantastic. To me, Supernaut captures the essence of NEBCO. While it has that characteristic NEBCO taste, it is worlds apart from their other, more standard IPA, Sea Hag. It's lighter, lower in ABV, and more doughy/bready than their double IPAs. And it takes to the max that flavor element in those doubles and imperials (Bot, Locust, Coriolis) that makes me like them so much. Then it follows all of that up with a Mosaic punch that you want to gnaw on. Bold. Delicious.

Supernaut IPA from New England Brewing Co.