Gold Stock Ale | New England Brewing Co.

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

3.99/5  rDev -7%

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Big thanks to woosterbill for this one. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice, deep golden color with a good white head. Nose brings some really strong earthy, herbal, and lightly-citric hops. Really, really nice. Taste is along the same lines with a bit of earthy and floral characteristics plus a good deal of pine and some slight citrus. This is a cacophony of hops without any one type really dominating. Slight bready notes. Great bitterness levels and a bit dry. I was not at all impressed with Sea Hag, but this showed me that when they try, NEBC can really bring the hop attack.

3.62/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

golden amber with a thick white frothy head. A nice amount of sediment was visible as was a good deal of carbonation. The retention was excellent and this led to quite a good deal of side glass lace. There was a tremendously hoppy aroma, and this took me a bit by surprise, however I am learning this seems to be the norm from the brewery regardless of the style. There was defiantly a light fruit, peach, pear yeast component to the aroma as well, but the quick crisp citrus hoppiness of it really put it over the top. Such a nice medium body with great carbonation really let the flavors really pop and then linger to let you get the full experience. Very nice bright flavor profile, lots of lemon, and coriander mixed with a pronounced yeast flavor and a very nice light but noticeable bread backing. A slight hint of alcohol but nothing overwhelming and it was actually a nice little extra punch to it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Aliza for sending a growler of this to the Chicago crew - split with Joe, Dave, Justin, and Matt. Served in a stange-like Dogfish pint glass.

A - Not sure when this was filled, but a nice hiss erupted when we turned the cap. Pours with a few fingers of off-white foam that dissipates to a thick cap and some spotty lacing. The body is a transparent coppery orange color. Really nice looking beer!

S - Spicy noble hops, lots of pine, and maybe a touch of soapiness. The profile is reminiscent of the Mikkeller German IPA I had recently. A bit of hop fade has set in during the six weeks since this was released, but it's not overly apparent. Malt backbone is one of toffeed apple.

T - The taste evokes a nice hoppy altbier. There's some fruitiness, with some bread and yeast, and light caramel notes. The hop character is more in the periphery, as these German hops just don't seem to have the ferocity of American ones. The finish is surprisingly clean, and the alcohol is not apparent at all. Probably more of a 3.75 here, but I'm feeling generous.

M - Soft, smooth, lower carbonation. Very clean finish with a bit of light stickiness. Body is medium, and sufficient for a 6.5% brew.

D - This was not what I expected, but it was super easy to drink. I suspect it was better a few weeks ago when the hop character was more intense. I'll give another spin sometime down the road.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.98/5  rDev +16.1%

A-Pours a supremely hazy honeyed orange color. Head is smaller but leaves popped bubble lacing remnants on the glass. Head is bleach white.

S-A very interesting nose. Very hoppy. Hops are of ripe and juicy melons foremost. This really smells like a ripe melon. Fruity hop derived aromas of other tropical fruits. I even get a distinct aroma of coconuts. Light vanilla and oak too. An extremely unique and complicated nose.

T-This beer is so outstandingly original. Great hoppiness. Grass and herbal hops combine melodically with pine, citrus, melon, and a ton of pineapple. Definitely tastes like coconuts. I taste almonds, too. Smooth, sweet malt and a light oaky finish. Wow, there is just so much to comment on here.

M-The most buttery feel I have ever come across. Medium boded with plenty of carbonation. The feel of this beer is simply perfect.

O/D-I didn't know what to expect from this beer here, but I did have high hopes. This blew me out of the water. This is a beer set from its own unique mold. I love the flavors and the complexity. NEBCO kills it once again. I absolutely love their brews. This is perhaps the best beer I have encountered.

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dull orange hue with a slightly hazy clarity and no head; just a thin, tight band around the shoulders. Nose is subdued - citrus notes and a light, herbal quality. Grain bill is very forward in the flavor profile with just a little citrus in the background. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild acidity and carbonation levels just shy of lively. Overall, a solid offering, but nothing spectacular. In fact, I thought this beer was originally billed as an American Strong Ale. I'm surprised it's listed as an English IPA - I would have guessed an APA.

4.29/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a beauteous clear gold, large and impressive white creamy head and some thick sheets of lace to seal off the glass. POW! hops right in the schnozzle, sweet malt under pinning, citrus crisp, a real treat, the start is sweet, the top is middling. Finish is “Big Time Hops, moderately acidic, dry and lightly bitter aftertaste, a damn good beer and one I hope to see again, as I’m sure the beer God’s won’t let me down.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a couple growlers of this seldom available brew. It's been a couple years since my last and first taste of Gold Stock at a local brew fest. It shows a generally clear orange amber that hints at a little haziness. The off-white head borders on a light oatmeal color, big and foamy it dies down to a thin but tenacious cap with tremendous lacing. The aroma brings a fairly unique barnyard hop, slightly pine, with a moderately grassy highlight and a suggestion of earthy nut malt. Very pleasant though not what you expect from the average strong ale. The flavor gives you a bright grass/malt bite with a neat piny hop overtone. I do see the strong ale quality, it's just on the mild side, but like the aroma, it is probably not what you would guess. Just the same, I really like this stuff. It has a somewhat pungent quality with some nutty kicks here and there. I find this to be subtly complex, even some citrus ideas maybe. A bit hoppy for sure but not a typical IPA. And it feels so smooth going down even though it holds a crisp bright note at each mouthful. I would call it medium bodied and wonderfully drinkable. It's really a unique brew. It may not wow everyone but I think this is a pure winner, something you could enjoy any time of year. Refreshing, satisfying, tasty, not too heavy with little signs of alcohol presence. While it may not be a true strong ale, it is a welcome addition to that or any other category and one everyone should give it a try. I also find the hop flavors build as you work your way through a pint or two. This was worth waiting for and really needs to be available more often. The rest of the world just needs to discover it!

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Growler into a Duvel tulip

A: Clear, bright orange-amber body underneath three fingers of dense, creamy tan foam; great retention and a decent amount of spotty lace. Straightforward and beautiful.

S: Pure, fresh, pungent Old World hops: spicy, earthy, and floral. The pure pale malt base doesn't even begin to make an appearance, but on the very tail end I'm picking up a distinct note of cotton candy - interesting. Overall, this is a wonderfully aromatic brew.

T: The malt backbone makes its presence felt up front with some generic sweetness, but the hops are still the focal point. Hugely earthy, lightly spicy, and generously bitter on the finish. Upon further reflection, the aftertaste blends the hops bitterness with a lightly tannic presence from the oaked fermentation. The oak also lends just a hint of vanilla. Overall, this tastes like a German IPA, if such a thing existed. Supremely balanced and as fresh as it comes (today was the first day that growlers of this batch were available). Awesome.

M: Smooth medium body, but pretty light on carbonation - a little too light.

D: I've just raced through my first glass, and am planning on killing the growler by myself. Let's see how that goes... Three glasses down now, and I'm still craving the next sip. This is gonna be a piece of cake. Hugely drinkable.

Notes: I was so eager to get to try this that I showed up, empty growlers in hand, a few hours before the beer was ready. 24 hours later, it was mine. 7 hours after that, I'm just about to kill the first growler (btw, my first solo growler assault). The description I got at the brewery was that this brew has a pure pale malt base underneath massive additions of purely European hops (Hallertaur, Tettnang, Saaz, etc.), and is fermented on oak chips. The result is a wonderfully fresh, balanced, and flavorful beer. If you get a chance to try this, don't pass it up.

Cheers!

UPDATE: It's fun to look back at this review, since it was of my very first encounter with this beer. Since then I've had several more gallons worth (including, one time, an entire gallon by myself, in one night). The only changes I'd make to my first impressions are updates on the differences between the 2010 and 2011 batches. 2011 was a bit lighter in color (while still presenting fantastic head retention and lacing), and much heavier on the oak and vanilla. While I missed the more hop-forward profile of the '10, I have to admit that the '11 was an even smoother, more balanced, and all-around better-integrated beer. The slight increase in oakiness also gave it a bump in terms of body, and I think I'll raise the mouthfeel score accordingly. Actually, I'm tempted to go ahead and give this beer 5s across the board, since it's just so damn delicious. I can't wait for next year!

Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.